Visitor Reviews - Camping Les Hautes Coutures

Campsite Search > Europe > France > Normandy > Benouville > Camping Les Hautes Coutures Reviews

Camping Les Hautes Coutures
Avenue De La Cote De Nacre
Benouville
Normandy   (Browse area)
14970
Tel: 0033 02 31 44 73 08
Visit their website

Open: April To October

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   No TV Room   Games Room   Evening Entertainment
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool On Site
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire On Site   No Golf   Tennis On Site
 Beach 5 miles   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  21 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Grumpyman 27 reviews from this member

Having read the other Reviews apart from the one stating we expect too much for over 20 euro a night I would expect to be able to shower and not have to stand in filthy showers, which were a danger with red hot water and no lights working I would not expect to have to walk some 700 yards to the main road on a steep gradient to throw my rubbish and then when I approach Reception I am told they are aware of the shower problem but if I did not speak nicely he would do nothing. Anyone over 60 with any walking problems keep away anyone who expects clean sanitary areas keep away.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: B2tuscan 4 reviews from this member

Stayed here for one night before catching early morning ferry.

Despite some very negative reviews on here, we had a pleasant stay.

The reception guy was helpful and gave clear instructions re whereabouts of pitch which was suitable for staying hitched up overnight. Pitches here were grass, of a good size and flat. Didn't even need the mover. Just reversed in.

We pitched on the bottom level by the canal. Good clean small modern toilet block and washing up basins with plenty of hot water and loo paper. Site was clean and very quiet and the barrier access codes worked!

Highly recommended for an overnight stay but note that reception closes at 5pm so don't just turn up after this time.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Alan29 12 reviews from this member

Used it for a three night stay before returning home.

Pluses - its very convenient for Caen and the landings etc, takes ACSI, there's a Carrefoure just down the road. Decent pool. Restaurant, but pricey. Just minutes from the ferry.

Minuses - 3 second button on the showers, and they were too hot. No hose to flush out the toilet cassette. Pitches very uneven. Site looked unkempt and untidy - and this just before the season was to start!

I was treated like an idiot when I mentioned the showers and the chemical disposal to the receptionist. She tried to give me a lesson in how to use a shower and told me that they were all like that in France. I pointed out that I have been coming to France for more years than she has been alive.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Nc-woods 4 reviews from this member

I think people are expecting too much of Haute Coture it is what it is. The only reason we stay is because it is very convenient for the ferry at Ouisterham.

OK the toilets are a bit basic especially if you are down by the canal but they are no worse than a lot of others.

The pool is very good and certainly was warm when we were there if anything a bit too warm.

Really nice walk along the canal to Pegasus Bridge and some excellent restaurants in Ouisterham

As I said Don't expect too much but you are going for convenience here

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Emma B 3 reviews from this member

We have just this week visited this campsite where we were meant to be staying 5 nights. However we only stayed two nights and had to move to another campsite.

We were really disappointed in the site and its upkeep was disgraceful.

To start with the outside bar/restaurant area was lined with cigarette butts as was the whole road down to were we were pitched. We had to keep our 2 yr old son in his buggy.

The toilets were filthy. On arrival every toilet bar one was dirty. No toilet roll, bins or sinks in the toilet block. To wash yours hands you had to go into the shower block where they had a sand bin full of cigarettes holding the door open.

Where you empty the chemical waste from your caravan it was situated in the mens toilets and as my husband said totally unhygienic as it splashed out over his feet and no hose attached to rinse out!

The pool area which was originally what attracted us to the site, from a distance looked lovely, however up close along the pool side and stone work was green and had obviously not been cleaned and up kept.

The icing on the cake for us to leave was when my children went to use the toilet only to discover poo on the floor.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Jo jo anna 2 reviews from this member

Choose this site for our return leg of the journey from Benodet to Calais, and, because the Pegasus Bridge and museum were close by.

Thats about as good as it gets!

The pitch - We spent about an hour choosing because they were all so awful we made the best of a bad job.

Never used any of the facilities, the playground area looked nice enough, the pool looked average but the water was cold (my son stuck his big toe in)

The toilet block. Well - No toilet seats, no paper! the pot washing sinks were alongside the cubicles, very odd. I actually thought the showers were nice and roomy with a sink incorporated within your cubicle.

That I'm afraid was the best part of this site. The freshly baked croissant and bread was cold and tasteless much to my sons disgust who had being enjoying fabulous bakery up til this site.

No I would not return to this site!

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: HarryB 17 reviews from this member

Was previously told that there was no need to book, just turn up and someone will be there.

We arrived about 10pm off the afternoon ferry from Portsmouth and there was no one there and the barrier was down. There was information for two British caravanners on the office window. The first one went through whilst we were looking to see if anyone was in the bar. Then the second van arrived. They had been left pitching instructions and the barrier code. I told them my predicament and asked if they would give me the code so I could pitch and pay in the morning. The woman said she didn't think that was a good idea as I could be anybody. I was so annoyed and I tried to peep over her shoulder as she was punching in the code but she covered her hand. Then a Frenchman came and let us in. We pitched and left our fee in an envelope and pushed it through the letter box. I won't bother with this site again. Re the pricing post, Aug 2010 This cost me €27 no electric and a total stay of 10 hours.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sue00 4 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this site.

First the positives! It is ideally situated close to the ferry port - our journey this morning took 8 minutes! The site backs on to the canal which takes you to the Pegasus Bridge and museum within a 10 minute walk. It is also fascinating to watch the great big ships passing by on their way out to sea. We also thought it was an excellent base for touring the D Day beaches and museums.Friendly reception staff. Nice heated indoor pool and multi sports pitch for children.

However. For our family of 4 it cost us 106 euros for 2 nights! (about £80, my 9 year old counted as an adult!) At the time we thought - it's a 4 star site, good location so probably worth it - but when we got to our pitch we were sadly disappointed by the terrible toilet facilities. They were very basic - in a sort of open style terrapin building. The waste pipes gushed all over the floor when you flushed the loo. No toilet seats. The worst aspect was that there was only 1 tap - which was for hand washing, dish washing, clothes washing! Not hygienic at all. I saw someone washing dog mess off their shoes in this only sink!

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Georginat 1 review from this member

Like other reviewers we chose this site for the last 3 nights of our French holiday,mainly for it's location being near to the Caen Ferry port and also proximity to various D-Day points of interest and Bayeux.

As well as having a small shop on site,(the chips from the takeaway which we had once are also to be recommended) it was also convenient for the local bakers in Benouville.

We were happy enough that we were able to chose our own pitch and the pool was fantastic.

We did find the site quite busy and didn't sleep particularly well on our last night (a Saturday) owing to what sounded like a rave with DJ playing very loudly from the other side of the canal, going on until about 3 am (possibly affecting us a little more being in a tent.)

The main area which we felt needed improvement was the standard of cleanliness in toilet blocks/showers.I could agree with the French idea that it is more hygienic without toilet seats but only if they are cleaned properly (I only ever saw them being hosed down). In addition there is no hand washing basin or soap in the toilets which I think is a basic hygiene essential. This is one reason that we would only consider staying again for 1 or at the most 2 nights for the convenience of the Ferry but not for longer. I think this site is geared more towards those staying in the static caravans on the site rather than the campers.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Brian 7 4 reviews from this member

Well what a location for this site, excellent for ferries, the Normandy beaches, and many more. Unfortunately that's were it finishes.

For £35 a night approx I thought it would be top site. How wrong can one be?

To enter the site through the Barrier can be quite hair-raising as you have to cross sides ie the French drive on the right, but you enter on the left and its the same coming out. The Barrier is located down a short drive and is located on a blind bend, so you just hope no one is coming out or in, in the opposite direction to you.

The swimming pool is excellent if you have the right swim gear (Only Speedo), otherwise you are invited to leave.

When we got to our pitch we were disappointed by the toilet facilities. They were basic - in a sort of open style terrapin building. The waste pipes gushed all over the floor when you flushed the loo. No toilet seats. The worst aspect was that there was only 1 tap - which was for hand washing, dish washing, clothes washing! Not hygienic at all. We even witnessed the cleaning of the toilets. Grab a hose, jet the toilet from distance, then just squeegee the floor. JOB DONE! No wonder the toilet paper is always wet. Take your own. Be warned,

Don't think we will be going there again, and I have also contacted and informed the Camping and Caravan Club about this site as it is in their summer camping 2010 book.

Previous     21 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 30 miles   -   All Sites in Normandy

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more