Visitor Reviews - Barry Downs Holiday Park

Angus   (Browse area)
DD7 7SA
Tel: 01382 534226  or  01382 535386
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Toilet Facilities   Hot Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Templogin 3 reviews from this member

I had cycled down from Aberdeen in heavy rain for the best part of the day, stopping every hour for food and drink, and to wring the water out of my socks. The roads were flooded so I was worried about how the site would be fairing. This was my first experience of a campsite that I have had to pay for, so everything was going to be new to me.

The reception was unmanned, so I went to the house and was told to just pick a spot and set up my two man tent. There was hardly anyone else around, and absolutely no tents, and with the rain coming down full pelt I was very tempted to set up the tent in the shower block! I braved the elements though and got the tent up. It was hard work driving in the Alpkit tent pegs and I managed to damage two of them badly.

The shower/toilet block was very clean. Half of the cubicles had been locked for some reason, but with so few people around this wasn't a problem. There was plenty of hot water, but one of the two open toilet cubicles had no toilet paper.

I visited the popular bar for a swift cider. The locals looked a bit wary of the soggy beardy bloke who had appeared in theirs midsts, but I can't blame them for that.

There was nowhere to put my wet clothes to dry, so I changed into dry clothes to sleep in and wore the wet ones the next day, hoping that they would dry out on my body.

I packed up in the rain and went across to reception to pay my fees, expecting it to be £10-£12 maximum. I got quite a shock when I was told that it was £20. If all other campsites were the same as this it was going to be an expensive six-week camping holiday.

All in all a dismal stay, due to the weather, in a very tidy looking campsite.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Buckland18 1 review from this member

We recently visited the park and it was really nice me and my husband really enjoyed it, the pub on the park was a nice place friendly staff and the residents of the park seemed friendly enough too.

The cafe was good as well recently been taken over and extended and real cheap! also I think the park might have undergone some work to the toilet/shower area because the flooding problem I read about in the other reviews seems to have been resolved.

Me or my husband fail to fault this park apart from the the noises of work being carried out but it was at the other side of the park and we could barley here it!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Triciauk1970 3 reviews from this member

Just bought our first caravan so we thought we'd go not to far for first outing on arriving here it took us a little while to get into site as it was after 5pm and office was closed we had booked and informed them it would be evening arrival.

Eventually we were shown in and given pitch on first view the place is very tidy and the shower blocks were clean but as in other reviews the showers were very small and tight for showering and changing and were prone to flooding.

The cafe on site is very nice and well priced and the staff are very friendly they informed us that the site wasn't really for people with children as there are no activities or parks on site for the kids and also that the children may only go into the pub until 7pm which for us was not a worry.

We did enjoy the site but did have to travel out with for kid friendly stuff to do and also for dog friendly walks but on a whole the site was very nice, but I would say it is not really family orientated and verges more to the older clientèle

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Val0712 33 reviews from this member

On arrival the lady at reception wasn't very helpful, no change in till, told us we hadn't booked in which we did, were told to choose a pitch but the one's we did want for some reason we weren't allowed! Did not get shown where the toilets, waste disposal, water etc was. Very poor reception skills.

Toilets £5 deposit for each key. They were not as clean as they could've been. Bad drainage & no room in shower to get changed.

A bar is on site, with bingo & a man was singing who was good. The gym & hairdresser was next to the pub.

Small cafe on site we had the breakfast which was very good & very good priced.

The site is fine, there is a bus stop at the campsite entrance. Lots of beautiful holiday homes & everyone was very friendly.

Not sure if we will return to this site.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Elizabethkim 1 review from this member

On arrival staff were really helpful friendly were shown to our pitch and manoeuvred in with ease, and were surprised to find we were allocated with a separate parking bay which was really useful. Toilets are spotless and well maintained as they go in at early hours to clean twice a day. Cafe is really good and friendly also cheap. Breakfast at 2. 50 for 7 items plus coffee and toast really nice people. The club has a great entertainment every week , also bingo and always made us very welcome. All in all a great stay and beaches are immaculate

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bearsden92 1 review from this member

The site is in a beautiful part of Scotland and the staff were helpful. However, our stay here was disappointing.

As other reviews have mentioned, the toilet block although new is very poorly designed. It is almost impossible to get changed in the cubicle and stay dry. There is inadequate drainage and the floor of the toilets was always flooded.

We also found several instances when there was no toilet roll - not a great feature when you are travelling with children! In addition, the toilet block had no ventilation - no extractor fan and no windows that could be opened, not pleasant!

There is a construction site immediately over the fence from the tent area which was very noisy at points during the day. One morning we were wakened at 7am by the sound of a JCB!

A plus point for the site was a small on-site cafe.

We will not be returning!

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Scottish_tourer 3 reviews from this member

Visited the site for a weekend with young family. Could not find my booking on arrival, however the site did have room to take me. £50 deposit for site barrier fob & £10 deposit for toilet block key! (Cash only at touring office, no cards)

The site is a tight squeeze for manoeuvring in my opinion, car and outfit could never stay on the thin road running round the site, and anyone without a motor mover may struggle to get onto some of the pitches. The pitches themselves are well kept serviced by EHUs, some with water taps on them.

The toilet block on site is brand new and modern. However there is a design problem with the showers, a bit of a carry on to get in and out, and unfortunately due to their design with raised shower tray and curtain, the whole toilet block floor becomes a huge swimming pool that cannot drain away to anywhere, (shame really for a new modern block)

2 sinks with drainers under cover attached to toilet block for washing up, and open air chemical disposal point. No dedicated grey waste point found.

It looks like there is construction of play area/improvement work about to commence adjacent to the touring area, although this did not effect our visit.

The site does have a Bar which I visited, and enjoyed the Saturday night band. A new small building next to the Bar contains a steam room, sauna, showers, Gym and Hairdresser.

A good base for the surrounding area, but the site has room for improvement on the above points. But as its a relatively new touring site and hopefully all these issues can be ironed out to make it a great place.

Date of Visit: February 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: BScotland 7 reviews from this member

Visited this site for our first trip out with our new caravan. Site is a new development adjacent to a Chalet Park and is very neat and well cared for. Owners are friendly and very helpful.

Toilet block is new and very well kept and spotlessly clean and very warm. Showers had loads of hot water. The WC and shower cubicles are very wide, but not very deep back to front. The shower trays are large and raised off floor, with a wooden duckboard in front. There is no seat inside the cubicle and there is only one double hook on the back of the door. This means that it is difficult to get dressed within the cubicle. I dressed partially and went to wooden bench in open area and did the rest there. Fine as there was no-one else, that was fine, but if it had been busy, it would have been more difficult. Overall very good!

It is a nice area with loads to do. I took the car to Barry Links Station and cycled onto Barry Links (MOD firing range) (SSI) but is open to public when no firing ot training is going on. Plenty of birds, deer, ponds with great reflections. I found a Memorial Garden to the 45 Commandos lost in the Falklands war - Interesting what is not far from you!

Overall enjoyed our short stay!

Date of Visit: October 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Justin14 3 reviews from this member

Just back from a 4 day stay at this caravan site. Facilities: A pub which we did not use. Toilets that were newly built were not cleaned once, we did not have a shower, bins had not been emptied. This site was for workmen no tourers were here only us and a women with her daughter. People from the static vans walked their dogs in the tourers park and some did not lift the dirt.

The surrounding area was nice local people were very nice takeaway foods were nice chip shop and Chinese in monifieth. We complained to reception all the women said was sorry.

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Angus

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire