Visitor Reviews - Riverside Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Gloucestershire > Cambridge > Riverside Caravan Park Reviews

Riverside Caravan Park
The George Inn
Bristol Road
Cambridge
Gloucestershire   (Browse area)
GL2 7AL
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: January To October

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Shop <5 miles   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   Cycle Hire 5 miles   Golf 5 miles   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  43 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Jim yarwood 3 reviews from this member

Spacious pitches, hedged borders.

Welcoming pub on this site with good pub grub at reasonable prices (cask ale a bit on the pricey side I thought but certainly very good!).

Convenient location just off M5 on A38 but far enough away to avoid over intrusive road noise. Shower/loo block clean and functional; adequate without being state of the art.

In attractive part of the world (and ideal to break longer journey to West Country).

Would definitely visit again.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: RodM 1 review from this member

We arranged to meet three of our friends at this site.

It is a small site adjacent to the pub, The George.

Friendly staff (Jack) met us on arrival. The pitches are in twos, separated by hedges.

There is a large play area, shared with the pub.

The unisex toilet block is next to the play area, but a pass card is needed to enter. There are 4 main shower/toilets and 2 other toilets. In addition, there is a lage disabled toilet/shower.

The facilities are cleaned at least twice a day, and the site is generally clean.

Prices are very reasonable!

Food in the pub is good and reasonably priced. There are 'early bird' and daily specials.

Although adjacent to the busy A38, a large stand of trees reduce any noise.

Well situated for Bristol, Bath, Gloucester, the Cotswolds and the Forest of Dean.

Well recommended.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dragon56 19 reviews from this member

Lovely site close to M5 but nice and quite. Good size pitch and clean showers and toilets. We only stopped for one night on route to Devon but with some good walks with our dog and a pub on site serving good food, we wish we could have stayed a little longer. Will use this site again when travelling south.

Date of Visit: October 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Challenger 44 1 review from this member

Unfortunately the wardens have left and the site is starting to look run down, nothing like the photos. A number of permanently sited workers units and the state of the pitches shows this has been so for a while. This is a pity as the site has so mutch potential

Some of the pitches are too close together not allowing 6m clearance between sited units. Excellent shower block and food at the pub good value.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Deanna1999 1 review from this member

Couldn't ask for a better campsite. Brilliant facilities. Ruth and Ben have been fantastic hosts for the various times that we have visited - always welcoming and helpful, without them, the week wouldn't have ran so smoothly. The campsite is located near to woodlands, so you're given the opportunity to explore and discover more of Gloucester. I would definitely recommend this campsite. The shower block was extremely clean. It's both child and dog friendly and the pitches were well-looked after. Thank you to our hosts for the amazing week. We'll be back really soon :)

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kim34 2 reviews from this member

We just spent a family camping weekend at Riverside, with 5 camping tents and the site staff were fantastic. My dad has Pulmonary Fibrosis and requires oxygen and the staff not only took delivery of the tank they also brought it down to the pitch and then took it away at the end of the weekend. The pitch itself was huge and there was plenty of space for all 5 tents plus cars and we were also able to have a fire pit to sit around which was lovely. The pub is just outside the site serving lovely food. We would definitely go back.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: The mcquarrie 5 reviews from this member

Stopped on the way to dorset, lovely site very friendly welcome. The site is close to the pub but far enough away to be quiet at night. Electric hookup and very clean showers. Good food served in the bar. Would recommend.

Date of Visit: February 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Vanclan 2 reviews from this member

I will admit I have used misleading information as to when I was booked, but that is simply because I'd rather not have the owner know who I am.

I have held off a long, long time writing this review as I wanted to have more campsite experiences first.

The site itself is okay, there is only one hard standing pitch, but visitors aren't allowed to use it for some reason. Though we did see others using it during our stay, apparently we weren't able to. The toilet facilities are pretty standard, there is only 4 toilets/showers and compared to the number of pitches I would say this is inadequate.

Now, this was one of my first ever campsite experiences, and I was very excited to experience the luxury of working electric and flushing toilets after stealth camping for so long. Of course, the first thing I did was hop in the shower.

Now we'll get down to what the bugbear of this experience was truly about- hygiene. Now, I do understand we stayed durin the off season, and that's okay. Most campsites aren't even open durin this time, let alone do they have a warden on site cleaning the loos etc. But the facilities are definitely not up to a good standard.

First of all, the showers are hot. Not nicely heated to a good temperature- but very, very hot. My first experience using the shower was not a good one. I was so excited to have a good clean shower. But good and clean it was not. When I exited the shower after a 5 minute clean, the room was so full of steam (dirty and non working extractor fans did not help) that I struggles to breathe, leaving me outside panting in a towel longing for some fresh air. Whilst outside in the cold, I realised my skin was still blisteringly hot. I then went back in to get changed and noticed in the mirror that I had very red and blotchy burnt patches of skin all over my back, arms, and legs- confirming my thoughts that the shower was far too hot. I imagine a child would be in all sorts of pain after having a shower on site. I got changed and inspected the room a bit more.

Shock, horror- there was mould everywhere. Small amounts of black mould splattered across different areas of the bathroom. On the shower floor, in the grit, on the ceiling, by the radiator, and around the toilet itself. I though to myself 'gee, are all sites like this? I'll have to get used to it I guess. '

Over the next few days I started to go into the different loo's, all the same. All very very hot showers, toilets with skid marks all down the bowls (there were no brushes so there's nothing we residents can do about it), and all with mould. I wiped my hand across the radiator and thick lumps of dust, mould and baby powder coated my fingers. Disgusting. I thought, hey I get it, maybe they rush clean it.

5 days later, those same skid marks, spots of mould, hair on the shower walls and in the drains. They were all still there! I~ couldn't believe that this was normal for them! I started to regret going to the restaurant on site, wondering if the hygiene inside the kitchen was as bad as it was in the toilet block. After 2 days of going into the bar and letting people know there was STILL no toilet roll in the toilets, some finally appeared. 'hooray! they've cleaned the toilets!'

Wrong. The layers of dirt on the radiator, where people hang their towels to dry themselves after cleaning their bodies was still there. The faint smell of duck toilet bleach hung in the air, though the skid marks were still there for all to see. The overflowing toilet bins (2 weeks on at this point) still sat with dirty sanitary pads still sat in the corner.

And let us not forget to add the mole problem- when we arrived there were 2 or 3 mole hills around our pitch. But when we left, there were more than 20, some burrowed beneath our wheels and sinking patches of grass to accompany them. When pulling off we were afraid we might sink.

I held off this review as I thought maybe I was being a bit too entitled, maybe they were all this way- but after now staying at numerous campsites over time in different cities, countries etc I can now safely say that The George Inn and the Riverside Caravan Park is officially the dirtiest site I have ever stayed in, and for the price, I think the owners and workers need a definite reality check. Reduce the prices or at the very least- raise your standards.

Don't settle for a site like this, find yourself a real spot of luxury and leisure. You won't regret leaving. Even a free camp on the local commons (without electric of course, hot water bottles over heaters any day!)would feel like more of a luxury trip than this site. After all, the parking on the common is at least hard standing.

I'd like to add the only reason we stayed at this site so long is because it had already been paid for in full, and we were too embarrassed to raise these issues with the site manager, Jack.

I hope this doesn't shine badly on the service we received in the bar as the staff were always more than friendly and as helpful as they could be- but my oh my, that cleaning MUST be stepped up.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mezzy 1 review from this member

We've just returned from a lovely holiday at this campsite. First visit so didn't really know what to expect. Security barrier on entry, good, welcome from wardens, excellent. They showed us to our pitch which was huge with a high hedge either side. Toilet and shower facilities are excellent with 4 'bathrooms', consisting of shower, toilet and basin. Only thing is, if there is a family of 4 all having a shower at the same time, there are no available toilets, although, there was another toilet block, but wasn't open, plus a disabled bathroom and a further 2 shower rooms. The position of the shower block was a bit strange because it's in the pub beer garden! We had to pay a returnable 10 deposit to use shower block so pub patrons couldn't get in them! Although there is nothing on site, apart from adjoining pub which does very nice food, shops and attractions are close by. We will certainly use again and highly recommend. We've given site facilities 8 because of the shower block.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: MrsPazzer 3 reviews from this member

Visited this site in April 2015 in our campervan, I was recovering from surgery on my foot & couldn't walk too far, so the site was perfect for me! Liked it so much that we booked on again for this year.

Have just got back today from another 4 day break here and it was as good as last year.

The shower block is lovely and clean and the site is very well kept.

The only improvement would be to have Wi-fi available on the site, as on my Vodafone mobile, there was no 3G or 4G.

The George Inn pub is very nice and does a great selection of lagers & beers and the food is really good.

A great little find & we will be back!

Previous     43 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Gloucestershire

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over 205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire