Visitor Reviews - Middlehills Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Site Reviews

Middlehills Farm Campsite
Grangemill
Matlock
Derbyshire   (Browse area)
DE4 4HY   See Map

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 30/4/18 To 30/9/18

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  146 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25

Write your own Review wo win a £150 Amazon Voucher!!

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: SmittenMummy 5 reviews from this member

We stayed at Middlehills Farm Campsite on the last weekend of the May half-term holiday. If you like busy campsites then this is absolutely the place for you! We are used to more tranquil and relaxed places however, so even though it is a lovely site with amazing views, we wonít be returning.

I made our reservation a couple of weeks before we stayed, and the booking process was very easy. When we arrived at the site, I went to the reception and was greeted by someone very friendly, but not overly helpful. I was simply told to pitch up anywhere I liked on either field Ė I got the impression he was in a hurry to be somewhere else. I wasnít told about any of the facilities available, which irked me slightly as at all the other campsites weíve stayed at, the owners have gone out of their way to be welcoming and show us around.

Both fields for campers who donít want a hook-up were very busy, but we found a spot that didnít have too much of a gradient. The ground was in good condition and it was easy to pitch up. There was a lovely atmosphere as there were so many families staying, and the playground on site was a huge plus for us as it meant we could put the tent up while the kids entertained themselves quite happily.

I had mixed feelings about the facilities. When I eventually worked out where everything was, I was surprised to find there was only one drinking water tap serving the whole site (according to other campers). Considering there must have been 100+ tents/motorhomes there that weekend, Iíd expected some other taps to be available so people didnít have to lug water containers around so far. Having said that, there was rarely a long queue for water, which was good.

Pot washing facilities for the back field were pretty bad! The water was scalding hot and the sinks not a great design for when it got busy. The showers, too, were a disappointment. You have to pay to use them (20p a minute or £1 for five mins) but the coin machine is outside the cubicle, so you have no idea how long youíve got left until the water suddenly stops! Also, the shower I had on my second morning was actually salt water, which was a horrible experience as I wasnít expecting it. I was very glad my young daughter hadnít had one with me as sheíd have been screaming from the salt stinging her eyes etc! After about three minutes it ran clear with fresh water, so I have no idea what was going on there.

Having said the above, the showers/toilets were clean and there were plenty of hooks to hang your stuff on to keep it off the floor.

There is a shop on site, which has limited opening hours. We chose to drive off-site for supplies instead, but it was good to know there was a back-up if needed. Also, there are fridge and freezer facilities at Middlehills, which were very useful.

The site operates a minimum noise policy after 10. 30pm, which everyone seemed to stick to. It was very peaceful and quiet, with the only noise at night coming from the nearby quarry Ė this was more like a constant hum though than anything too intrusive.

Overall, this is a truly lovely site. Itís well-kept, has a lovely atmosphere, and its facilities are clean. Personally, itís not for us, and I was very conscious that it was a business above everything else. Thereís nothing wrong with that of course, but it doesnít gel well with the easy-going, stress-free vibe that I associate with camping.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Christine2901 1 review from this member

Fantastic site, amazing scenery and a magical night sky!

We stayed for two nights in our tent with our grandson age 5

The site is lovely and clean, grass cut nice and short, bins empty and clean.

There is a local Indian take away which will deliver free or collect you and return you to the restaurant free amazingly good food.

The wardens couldn't do enough to help and were lovely and friendly. Even started our car as we drained the battery with the radio on night before quiet from 10ish and we were neer the kids park

The shop was well priced and had all the usual things you'd expect opens 3 times a day fire pits for rental.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: GemDeanBill 3 reviews from this member

Lovely campsite, good facilities, pleasant owners/staff, picturesque location (the noise from the nearby quarry is noticeable but not too imposing for us. ) Having the pigs is a nice addition and the playground for the kids was great. We will most definitely be returning for short breaks here.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: CERichardson 2 reviews from this member

Visited this site at the weekend with family. Two tents and a campervan with awning - 6 adults, 2 young children and 6 dogs! First impressions of the site were great - friendly staff and flexible pitching. Impressive 360 views from site was lovely. Kids play area was great for the little ones and pigs were a nice addition. Facilities could have been slightly better. Showers were 'interesting' with a payment machine on the outside (20p for 1 minute, £1 for 5 minutes). You had 40 seconds to get undressed before the water started and the machine had a timer on so you knew how long you had left. The only problem was it was on the wall outside so you didn't know until the water switched off! Site was in a good location in the heart of the peak district. Only 20 mins from Dovedale which we visited. Take away drivers came round giving out menus for local indian and pizza takeaway which we used on our second night when our bbq got rained off. Ice cream van came round too in the afternoon. Overall would visit again, but for 2 days max.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ncdlloyd 3 reviews from this member

We stayed for three nights over the bank holiday weekend. Very flexible about where to pitch, we had one electric hook up and added two further tents for other members of the family.

Views are lovely from site, the only drawback is the constant noise from the nearby quarry. This wasn't an issue during the day, but was very noticeable through the night.

Fire pits are available for rent and having a real fire is a really nice addition each evening.

Paying £1 for five minutes of hot water in the showers was a real pain. The place to put the money isn't even in each individual cubicle. Cleanliness of the facilities was reasonable, have seen better though.

On one night there was music playing until 12:30, it sounded like the tent in the next pitch, but querying the 10:30 music cut off rule with the site the following day revealed it was a party in an adjacent field and that they do police anti-social behaviour.

The area has endless campsites available, so we'll probably try another next time.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cc7979 8 reviews from this member

This, on the face if it, is a great little site, but we did have a few challenges on our visit, but probably not due to the site itself.

Firstly the positives. Site is nicely located and easy to find, about 7 miles from Matlock. There are two large sloping fields, mainly for tents with no EHU and one smaller field with EHU. There is a great park in the larger tent field that the kids loved and a nice little shop well stocked and reasonably priced. There is also a small paddock with 3 pigs which again, was great for the kids.

We stayed on the EHU field and on our first of two night this was great. I was glad I wasn't on the larger fields though which were very busy and the lack of regiment meant some units were parked very close together (some were obviously groups, but not all it appeared). I thought the toilets were pretty ok but my wife was so not so impressed. One of the main issues is that there is a larger toilet and sink block in the large field, with then just sinks and showers in the smaller field. I thought the condition of these were pretty good considering how many were on site. My wife felt this not to be the case with the female facilities and also having quite long waits to use.

Our bigger issue was on the second night. We went out for the day to Matlock which was great, but on our return a group of 3 units (two caravans and a large tent) had pretty much surrounded us. They were also joined by another 2 families who were camping in one of the other fields. This probably would he been ok if it wasn't for the lack of consideration. Firstly, on the only space they had left free right in front of our unit, they preceded to play an impromptu game of football, firstly a selection of children, but then joined by the adults! This while we were trying to have dinner outside. Secondly they proceeded to stay up till about two o'clock in the morning drinking and talking - they obviously thought they were being quiet. Luckily I am normally a heavy sleeper but it was my wife who suffered till I think more than one person complained.

Not saying this is the campsites fault, but I think the flexibility the site allows around pitching allows this situation to happen much more readily. It is a shame as it tainted what would have been a great weekend. I probably will not go back to this site now and I am also extra wary when booking sites in the future.

Previous     146 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review wo win a £150 Amazon Voucher!!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Derbyshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Kampa Portaflush 10 Portable Toilet! Win a 655ltr Waterproof Rooftop Bag worth £239

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more