Visitor Reviews - The Kings Head

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Lincolnshire > Site Reviews

The Kings Head
Tel: 01754 871671  or  07930 842542

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

Open: March To December

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   No Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Families Welcome   Club Members Only   Rallies Welcome   Naturist Site
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  24 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cookie32 1 review from this member

This site is small, has regular/ season placed caravans. Not so geared up for tents. No defined plots for tents, but a small cramped area to one side of the field. The children's play area is a slide only, at the side of the pub. Small inside children's area, pool table, slot machines. The 'shop' sells sweets only.

Where we pitched was flat. No washing up facilities. Car park does get very busy, hard to park at times. But good to keep cars off site. Toilet block is appears lovely, obviously recently refurbished. But needs cleaning much more. It was clean the day we arrived, stayed few nights. The toilets got cleaned and replenished, as no loo roll after a couple of days, but the showers didn't get cleaned at all. Showers nice and warm, drainage not great, so leave your shoes outside the door. One door didn't lock, even though we told them, it didn't get dealt with.

We didn't eat or drink in the pub, so can't comment. Music loud, which you can hear in the tent. Also road noise. I wouldn't stay again, just because I like more facilities for my children, and I value clean toilet blocks.

They do not charge extra for different seasons, which is great. There's no shop, facilities in the village, so you need to get in the car to go anywhere, get things.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bella03 1 review from this member

Went here with the family and gosh what can I say. Upon arrival we were directed to our pitch we were asked to unload and then put our car in the car park. Which was great as at least there's no vehicles driving around the site whilst the children are playing. We were showed where to put waste and collect water. And pointed in the direction of the shower block. When we visited the shower block I couldn't believe it (I have seen some shower blocks in my time) this one was second to none it is absolutely stunning. Its heated even has heated towel rails. Impeccably clean, modern beautiful, words cannot describe it. The pub itself does beautiful homecooked food which appears very popular. The portion sizes are massive and it is great value for money. Nothing was too much trouble for them we even asked to see their award winning rooms for future reference these were stunning can see why they won four in a bed and they also have a 3 star gold AA award. All in all a beautiful site a great place to stay would definitely recommend and will definitely be returning 10/10 great family run business with very friendly polite staff cant wait to see them all again xx

Reviewer: Knosher 1 review from this member

We have just spent a weekend at the campsite for the first time, we found it a lovely campsite very clean and tidy, it is all marked out with plants and the ground is well cared for, you leave your car on the cctv monitored car park so its all secure. The grass is lovely and tidy, you are showed to your pitch by a member of staff and they are helpful. The toilet blocks are clean and tidy and checked often. It was a busy campsite with familys on site but it was a peaceful time. We will be certainly be returning. Thankyou.

Reviewer: KEVWADDO 5 reviews from this member

I have been camping now for 3 years and in that time visited some great sites, however this is not one of them. Very disappointed at levels of hygiene and cleanliness. Pot Washing facilities is within ladies toilets with no draining boards, shelving or anywhere to put cleaned pots. This facility was that bad we went and purchased more crockery and fetched all 3 days washing up home. Site said no ball games but we were woken by football hitting tent on 2 out of 3 mornings. The mens shower block has 2 toilet cubicles and 2 showers both of which were dirty and in sad stater of decoration and cleanliness, toilet paper forever running out and total lack of concern from staff. Cleaner came into ladies block one day so my partner mentioned the fact no soap available to which she smirked and shrugged her shoulders ! This site cost me £40/ night for a 2 birth tent with hook up and a 2 berth pup tent! Never paid so much for so little

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Alramsay 2 reviews from this member

We camped here last year but due to awful weather decided we wouldn't camp but book the static caravan this year. It was great and the weather was glorious, typical! There's a hot tub with the static and the kids couldn't get enough of it. The caravan was kitted out great and had everything we needed. Staff were great, friendly. Planning another few days there in the autumn. We found the location great only a 15 minute walk to ingoldmells wehre there's great kids/teenagers entertainment, the theme park was a big hit. The Kings Head do great meals and we found very reasonable priced. We had an all round great get away.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mickyd 4 reviews from this member

This is a nice site situated close to ingoldmells (5 mins in the car from fantasy island )that we found very good.

The staff were very friendly and also very helpful ( helped me back my caravan up as I had never reversed with it) and once on site showed us where the toilet and shower block was and where to get water and to dispose of our waste.

The pub itself is very nice and serves great food at a reasonable price.

Can recommend this site to anyone and will be using again in the near future. Truly a great little site!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Hellsbells2222 1 review from this member

Omg what a fantastic site this is. The owners and staff are very welcoming polite and go out of their way to help you, nothing is too much trouble.

On arrival we were shown to our pitch not just sited anywhere. Had problems reversing van into pitch so the owner did it for us which was a great help.

We found the shower block very clean with FREE showers that were cleaned everyday. We stayed for a week and had a wonderful time.

We went for dinner at ten to ten on the friday and were accommodated even though it was late as we didn't arrive til gone 9pm. (which was great as other campsites stayed at gave us a much earlier time to arrive by).

The food was absolutely spot on. All fresh no packaged frozen ping ping rubbish. The portion sizes were humongous so if your not that hungry tell them and they will cut the portion sizes down.

I must add I was in the shower block when someone was complaining about some spiders and toilet roll running out etc I did actually point out that we were in the countryside and people should respect the fact that the owners should or rather wouldn't be expected to check the shower block every 5 mins.

The site is lovely and peaceful just 5 mins drive away from ingoldmells.

I strongly disagree with the other reviews that slate the place but then as the saying goes you can please some of the people some of the time but not everyone all the time.

My overall stay was awesome the owners and staff were very accommodating and would definitely recommend it to friends.

I have booked again to go back and maybe even go seasonal.

Have been on far bigger sites and I must say that this small site has everything you could wish for and should you have any complaints we are sure the owners would try and assist in making your stay as pleasant as ours.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Reikipagan 2 reviews from this member

Good level site and giant portions in the restaurant and really friendly staff unfortunately that didn't make up for the negatives about this site.

The main problem with this site is that it is a second concern to the pub and out of pub hours the only way to contact anyone is via a mobile phone number not helpful when the toilet are always running out of paper or electricity goes off. We asked for our group to be together and although there was space next to us the last of our party was placed elsewhere.

The toilets and showers could have had places to put things ,picky I know but when there's a sink and nowt else where do you put your wash bag?. The showers were scolding hot I love hot showers but glad I didn't have any little ones as there is no way to adjust temperature. When you are paying £27 a night you expect the toilets to have paper and seats hotwater at all times and it was over 14 hours before toilet roll was restocked.

And yes the pub has a children's room etc but its open when the pub is so from 11 every day not great when weather is crap.

Also concerned how close together the tents were placed some times the guy ropes were over lapping.

This could be such a great site but basically too much money for too little.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Joehare 5 reviews from this member

A tale of two halves the review for this campsite.

Lovely friendly staff at the on site pub when we arrived on Friday evening, all booked in no problem, we were already aware about the barrier system so we knew we would have to be let in to get set up and again we knew once unpacked we would have to go park the car on the pub car park.

First impressions of the actual campsite, nice flat ground but everyone was crammed in right next to each other, not much personal space at all.

On the website the toilet block claims to have be revamped for 2011, really? Where? Oh yes, new tiles on the floors and the toilet wall shoddily finished off (think 2 inch worth of grout still visible), the paintwork has seen better days!

Now normally, the toilet facilities are not something I complain about it, as we usually stay at campsites that cost around £14 a night (4 man tent, 2 people, 1 car). But for £21 a night (no EHU) I expected more. I didnít expect to find huge cobwebs on all the toilet doors, spiders on the walls, loads of dead flies and moths in the light fittings, it was safe to say that although the floors and sinks might have been cleaned. These areas had sadly been overlooked.

We arrived on the Friday evening as I said, and by Saturday afternoon there was no loo roll in the ladies, no paper towels to dry your hands on and the bin was overflowing (there are no sanitary bins in the ladies at all). These actually got replenished and bin emptied on the Sunday afternoon.

The lights in the ladies toilet block are on a timer, which is normally the case at most campsites, but the lights didnít come on til gone 9. 30pm. The amount of ladies/girls complaining about this Ö I mean. Itís not much fun showering in no light and trying to put your make up on in the dark too! This is Skegvegas. People like to go out an therefore like to get ready with some light!

As somebody had already mentioned in a previous review the washing up sinks for your pots are in the ladies next to the sinks, why they have to be in the ladies I have no idea!

I think the fact that we paid so much and that was the state of the toilet of block was what annoyed me the most. Like I say. Normally. I wouldnít complain about the shower/toilet block, as it is what it is.

We did go for Sunday lunch at the pub, we got told at the time of paying for our meals it would be about 30 mins wait as the chef had to pop out to get some more veg (they had already run out of turkey), after around an hour we asked when we would be taken to our table. We were told definitely 15 minutes or you can have a refund. Well after waiting an hour weíd wait another 15 mins, 30 mins later we got called to our table. So a total of 1 hour 30 mins.

However, I do have to say the Sunday lunch was really nice, we both ordered a large and you get plenty of veg, mash, roast potatoes, plenty of meat, only one stuffing ball mind ( I do like stuffing)) and a gravy boat between the 2 of us. So thankfully we hadnít wasted an hour an half for a rubbish dinner.

So to surmise, was it worth £21 a night? Most definitely not, would I come again, What do you think?

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dazormshaw 23 reviews from this member

Stopped here for the Jubilee weekend and I must say I was very disappointed for the price we paid £21 per night.

The site itself is ok, nice flat grass field with a pub at the entrance however you have to get permission to bring your car in the field to unload and then have to park in the pub car park which is fine, however when the pub is busy the car park obviously gets full, only just managed to get parked on one of the days. We were escorted to where we were to pitch and told to be 4 foot away from the awning next door, seems a little too close for me.

The toilet block which has recently had a revamp was not very nice, it wasn't clean, the revamp seemed to consist of new tiles (be warned the floor can be quite slippy when wet). The lights in the men's were broken with just 1 light working that stayed on all day and night, the lights in the ladies didn't come on until gone 9:30pm, leaving it quite dark for those wanting to get ready to go out.

The washing up facilities were located in the ladies toilets with a sign saying no pot washing in the men's, not quite sure how us blokes are supposed to wash the pots in this equal world we live in! I ended up boiling the kettle to do the pots in the tent which is what I normally do so wasn't too big a problem for me, but I can see it being for others.

On the Sunday when it rained for most of the day, power kept tripping out at various caravans across the site and as such the caravanners had to resort to using the sinks in the toilets to do the pots, which meant a queue to use the facilities.

Food in the pub is lovely, we had a Sunday dinner there however we had to wait 1hr 30 mins to be seated (this after being told there was a 30 minute wait).

There is a park for the kids to play on but it is over at the pub, right on the edge of the road out of site of the campsite and it consists on 1 climbing / swing / slide / smiley face tree thingy so I would be uncomfortable letting children loose there unaccompanied.

The site does allow dogs but although I love dogs it seemed that every other pitch had at least 1 dog, some 2 or 3 including yappy dogs, the owners seeming to leave the dogs during the day in the awnings to bark merrily away at the slightest noise, also next door to the site lived a large dog that seemed to spend the day alternating between barking and whining. So not a site for a quiet relaxing get away.

All in all I would not recommend this site, if the price was lowered to match the facilities then I wouldn't complain but at this price you expect more.

Previous     24 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Lincolnshire

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over £885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth £119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey