Visitor Reviews - Home Farm Ceritifcated Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lancashire > Chorley > Home Farm Ceritifcated Site Reviews

Home Farm Ceritifcated Site

Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

This is a Camping and Caravanning Club Certificated Site, which accept caravans or motorhomes and usually tents. This is a club member only site - you can usually join on site

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: March 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Little Red Van 15 reviews from this member

A lovely little site set in a fairly large field. There are 5 hardstandings for caravans/motorhomes, which are well spaced out and set around a horseshoe gravelled area, which ensures your car/van doesn't get stuck in the grass on the way to the hardstanding. Lovely views of the reservoir and Rivington, with lots of countryside walks and selection of Tea Rooms. We actually live just 5 miles from this site, but it felt as though we were miles away from home. If you want a nice, quiet site, this is ideal.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Matt-lucie 15 reviews from this member

Visited this site this weekend as it was not far from home and we wanted to try out our new tent and gear. Site a Camping and caravan CS and is on a working farm on a slightly sloping field. We were the only tent there and the first on there this season. We had an electric hookup which we needed for the heater in this cold wet weather.

Best thing about the site is its simplicity. Do not book here if you want shop, club house, kids playground and noisy busy site. You will not find it here (thank God!). What you will find is a small site with only 5 caravans and maybe room for another 5 or so. Beautiful views! They really don't get better! Rivington pike and reservoir.

Lady owner pleasant and friendly. No problems as she seemed an easy go kind of person.

Price amazing! Large pitch with hookup only £11!

Facilities basic in a portacabin but adequate and clean. Two toilets and one shower and small kitchen area with use of sink and fridge freezer. Only negative is the sink for washing up is cold water only and you have to boil the kettle provided to get washed up. Same true for hand washing in bathrooms.

Not a deal breaker but especially off season was nippy and a little inconvenient. However this really only affects tents and not caravans as these have their own facilities.

Only noise we encountered was the nearby road which although small seems to get lots of traffic and fast bikers. Road noise doesn't personally bother me but if you are sensitive to I advise camping on the other side of the field.

Will definitely go back!

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mrsf-red 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from an extended stay at Home Farm. The first thing to say is we booked straightaway for the August Bank Holiday so that should give an idea of how good my review will be.

The site is in a beautiful area on a working farm, mostly catering for caravans but has a decent area for tents too. We have a very large Outwell 8 man tent and were told on arrival to just pitch where we wanted and was told there was an electric splitter point available which was less than 20 metres from our tent comfortably.

The site is slightly sloping but it didn't affect us too much, the field was quite flat, and the traffic noise was pretty quiet, you are surrounded by fields, horses and cows, the reservoir and a lovely little wooded area with rope swings for kids, great for little explorers too.

The facilities are in a portacabin, everything you need, a toilet, shower room with baby changing area, the kitchen with sink, fridge and freezer and sink. The shower room is a decent size too so if you need to keep your little ones altogether safely you can. There is also a portaloo across the field but we didn't use this. The toilet was restocked daily with loo roll, fresh towel and soap.

We were allowed a firepit off the ground and was told there was a huge pile of very big logs to use in the woods, a fellow camper kindly lent us a saw to chop what we needed.

The surrounding area speaks for itself. You are facing Winter Hill and Rivington Pike, the reservoirs etc. Fantastic walks everywhere.

We found the nearest village was less than a 5 minute drive away with a good Tesco express and Co-op, Chorley is about 10 mins away and Middlebrook retail park with a large Asda and Tesco less than 10 mins in the opposite direction. I'm not sure where walk-able shops are but we did see people coming back with milk and papers so must have been somewhere.

All in all its a great low cost place, relaxed atmosphere, very friendly owner and we can't wait to go back.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: MissElaineous 37 reviews from this member

I also visited Home Farm for Easter weekend to meet up with a few friends and was impressed how quiet it was. Being in a tent without electric hook-up, I enjoyed the extra convenience of the 'campers kitchen' in the same block as the toilet and shower. The kitchen contains a fridge/freezer, electric kettle and washing up sink. Also used the electric socket to charge my phone while I was washing the pots.

These and other facilities were clean and well maintained. The toilet in the corner which has been described as a portaloo was actually a proper flushing toilet and hand basin, just housed in a portaloo cubicle. To save any confusion from a previous review, the chemical disposal point is next to the cubicle not inside it.

Was lovely to have a pitch over-looking Rivington Reservoir and the walks from the site were amazing. Would recommend a walk to the top of Rivington Pike, the views are stunning. We were allowed to have a raised campfire when we guaranteed we wouldn't scorch the grass.

I walked into Adlington every morning to buy a newspaper. There is a footpath that takes you over the motorway to get there, which brings me to another point. Not once did I hear any sound from the motorway either day or night.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fiona karen 21 reviews from this member

Had a lovely stay at Home Farm, very friendly owners, and lovely views, it was Easter and I was expecting it to be packed but there were only 12 units on site and they said they thats all they were booking in, which was nice.

There are lots of walks to do from the site, there are 8 reservoirs nearby to walk to and the terraced gardens up to the Pike are worth a visit, lots of paths going every where.

There are 4 tea rooms dotted about and an information centre, we enjoyed it so much were hoping to go back next weekend.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Philipembley 3 reviews from this member

Lovely little site. Very pleasant and helpful owner. Will definitely return - much to see and visit in the surrounding area. The scenery is quite spectacular. Access onto the site is very easy, with wide openings onto the site. Electric hook up included in the price and no problems with the supply. Fresh water and waste disposal close to hand. Good TV reception. The site is on a slight slope, but no problem in levelling up. Highly recommended!

Reviewer: Superbadger 8 reviews from this member

Wow! Awesome site;

I am a camper but I will also post my review on what I feel a Tourer would find important.

Upon arrival I went straight past the camping area to the house and met Christine; A very nice lady who told me my fee was £8 for a night, It was just myself, a small tent and my mountainbike, so several people or a bigger tent would be more I imagine. Still a bargain once you read on.

It's a small field (half the size of a full size football pitch) that very slightly slopes towards the bottom, But not to such an extent that you would notice once in any unit. I would say the top part is best for Tourers since from here (the top being the lane you enter the site in) there is a large 'Horseshoe' gravel/driving path that goes half way down, to assist traction to position/retrieve your tourer; That being said, a tourer could easily pitch anywhere. (Depending on conditions and judgement). A tent would benefit from the small wood that runs down the left of the site in windy conditions; The other two side boundaries are part of a paddock that the farm horses use.

On site there is a small portacabin that has everything you need; A Fridge-freezer for all your food, milk (its a good size freezer too, not the small type!)A kettle! So if your a 'camper' no messing with a stove in morning! a toilet/bathroom, a separate room with shower, baby-changing facilities and there is also a sink to wash pots and addition things in the cupboards. The odd pan, plate, sellotape (stuff you may need if you forget them I guess, or stuff people have left?) It's good either way and a nice bonus. There is one other toilet on site, a portaloo this is also where you dispose of your chemical waste. Staying on the Toilet theme (sorry). Both have Toilet Roll, handwash cream and a towel to use. Extremely clean facilities. And I saw Christine the owner go through the site before nightfall and check all the facilities and chat with the residents;

The location is amazing. Whether your aware of Rivington or not; It is the closest campsite to all the amenities and hidden gems this area has to offer. A short walk from the site takes you on the dam between adjoining reservoirs, go a little further and there are places to get food, a beer, afternoon tea or even an ice-cream!

I didn't look for or view the 'Kids play area' so I cannot comment. There is plenty for them to do within the area though; If they are over 11yrs there is 'Go Ape' in the woods nearby which I will take my son to on his next birthday(he be old enough then!) For the younger ones and more energetic(and to ensure an instant bedtime!) there is a walk to 'The Castle' or up the the Japanese gardens and rivington pike.

VERDICT: It's a tidy, lovely, down to earth site that I fear when people see the size upon arrival will think 'oh it's tiny, they won't have anything!'. And then they turn around and go elsewhere. A big mistake in my opinion. I admit. There isn't an arcade, swimming pool or TV lounge but if there was? Why bother with the scenery, beauty and tranquillity of the area and site, stay at home! I believe that once you have been you will return again and again.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Hazel Smith 1 review from this member

This is a working farm nestling alongside Rivington Reservoir. The camp site is a lawned area with hard standing electric hook up. There is a flush toilet and Elsan disposal point and also a kitchen area, toilet, power shower and baby change area. It is a very tranquil site. Adjoining fields have horses and cattle grazing in pastureland.

There is a wooded area carpeted in bluebells at this time of the year to the north of the site. The field slopes gently to the east to the shore of the reservoir which is fenced. Across the reservoir are views of the West Pennine Moors, Winter Hill and surrounding landmarks. This area is renowned for cyclists and walkers alike. It is of outstanding beauty.

It is a very popular site indeed, highly recommended.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nic3101 29 reviews from this member

Most of my reviews have been when I have been out with my tourer, but this time we went on a Mum's an kids little trip out. It's literally down the road from us, which was good as I felt really safe knowing if needed I could go home to other half.

The site is lovely - it's not the tidiest site, I don't mean it's dirty, just that there aren't nice straight finishes between the gravel pathways and pitches and grass. This is not a criticism, just a fact. There is indeed a portable cabin with a communal fridge, kettle, sink, loo, shower etc. The facilities were great (I won't bother with my cool box or kettle next time!). My only comment here is the floor by the loo is very spongy - easily fixable, and not a major drama, just a bit weird bouncing on the floor!

It cost £10 for the tent for the 3 of us, if we'd wanted EHU it would have been another £1. For Tourers it would have been £12 incl EHU. My friends thought this was great value. I didn't really - only because I go on rally's with the HCC and some of the places we go to are as little as £4. 75 a night and that's in a caravan!

The farm is in a great location, the views are stunning, the owner is a really pleasant lady, I would not only recommend but definitely go again.

Date of Visit: November 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Welshrover 20 reviews from this member

Just returned from a three night stay at Home Farm and what a pleasure it was stopping on this little site. The lady owner was a lovely helpful lady, she was about if you needed her but never mithered you. The hardstandings are even and level with rolled stone and plainings and ehu for each one and a drinking water tap nearby. There is also a portacabin in one corner with shower toilet and a camp kitchen and dish washing and loads of books and pamphlets if you wish to borrow them. In another corner there is a portaloo but with proper flush toilet and wash and basin and elsan disposal point and everything was spick and span.

Five minutes walk to the right of the gate crossing between two reservoirs is a lovely bowling club where you could have a drink and something to eat and everyone made very welcome. There is another pub to the left of the gate an easy ten minutes walk. Horwich and Addlington are five minutes in the car with plenty of shops and pubs and cafes.

The views from site are fantastic looking over to Winter Hill. The only problem I can see about this site is its only five van job and site for few tents and to see every hardstanding taken in November I can see a bit of a problem getting on unless you book well in advance. I can assure you I be doing just that in the very near future, its a little gem

Previous     29 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Lancashire

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more