Visitor Reviews - Badrallach Campsite Bothy & Holiday Cottage

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Highlands > Dundonnell > Badrallach Campsite Bothy & Holiday Cottage Reviews

Badrallach Campsite Bothy & Holiday Cottage
IV23 2QP
Tel: 07435 123 190  or  01854 613240

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Baby Changing Facilities   No Laundry   Drinking Water   Disabled Friendly
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <10 miles   Bar <10 miles   Restaurant <10 miles   No Wifi Access
 No Playground   No TV Room   Games Room   No Evening Ents
 Fishing 1 mile   Wild Swimming 1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach 1 mile   Watersports 1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring 1 mile
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  16 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: June 2019 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Dot P 597 reviews from this member

Totally agree with previous reviews - this is a fabulous place to visit. The Bothy and the rental cottage are both stunning, the campsite is tranquil and a world away from daily life.

We took our small 6 metre motorhome. We had spoken to the owner and he told us only takes up to 6 metres. However, when you turn off the main road there is just a sign for the campsite, nothing to tell you the road is probably not suitable for towing or larger vehicles.

On arrival at the gate it does tell you caravans only accepted if on 4x4 vehicle and small campervans - that is because it is quite difficult to get in and out of the site and if the grass is boggy you might get stuck. This isn't meant to be negative - just to warn anyone thinking of going what to expect to suggest they telephone the owner first.

We stayed a night and loved it, walked the footpath towards Scoraig which is well maintained and has incredible views.

The facilities at the campsite look a bit rustic - but I would say its the best shower I have had in several weeks on the road.

Four of the pitches have ehu, all have a fire pit and there is a fresh water tap. There isnt a chemical disposal area nor is there any hardstanding.

This is without a doubt one of the most off the beaten track campsites we have come across - loved everything about it (even the daunting access!). We paid £15. 50 for a night with electric via the honesty box.

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jocks Away 3 reviews from this member

This is the site if you want to get away from everything, but still want a few traces of civilisation like a hot shower. The journey to the site tells the story: 60 miles out of Inverness along progressively smaller and smaller roads leading to the last 8 miles along a narrow single track across the moorland.

You need to bring supplies with you: the nearest shop is 30 minutes away and the nearest town, Ullapool, is a two hour round-trip. But that is the magic of this site - you are completely isolated. It is even far enough off the North Coast 500 route that you are not disturbed by loud motorbikes throughout the day.

The site is small with only 10 pitches, a couple of which have electric hook-up. It's best for tents, but smaller campervans can manage too. If you are considering a caravan or large motor home, I suggest you check Google streetview to see whether you can manage those last 8 miles of road - there are a couple of very tight bends and a narrow bridge.

The whole site has a gentle slope, but the pitches are mostly level. The ground will take normal pegs, but you might want a few rock pegs to take care of the occasional stones.

Facilities are limited, but it is just a small site after all. There's adequate toilets (with proper flushing) and a couple of unisex showers. The showers run cold for a few seconds but are then fantastically warm and powerful; just what you need after a long hike. The bothy on site has a small kitchen with fridge and sink.

You can use you own camping stove in there too if the weather outside is bad. Speaking of bad weather, there's also some comfortable seating and a selection of books and games in the bothy so you pass the time until it gets better. The bothy can be booked for private use, so it's worth checking whether it will be available to the campers during your stay if that is important to you.

Unless you are planning a long drive, there are limited things to do at Badrallach, which is of course its charm. A short walk takes you to Little Loch Broom where you can launch a boat or kayak if you want. Sit quietly and you can see all sorts of wildlife - I spotted seals, an otter, slow worms, dragonflies, and water voles.

A much longer walk of 5 miles each way along a narrow stony path takes you to the remote village of Scoraig; in fact it's the only way to get to the village unless you take the occasional ferry from the far side of the loch.

I strongly recommend that you check out the Carnoshbeag cafe in the village when you get there - it's a private house where you can get a hot or cold drink and a cake: 'Eat what you like and pay what you like'. There's also the lighthouse, which has been turned into a (very) small museum telling what life in the village is like. The path has no shelter, so dress for the weather and be prepared for any eventualities; it is going to take a long time to get help if you have problems.

I was there during a rare heatwave. Temperatures of 30C meant that the midges were few and far between, but the clegs (horseflies) were out in force with a vengeance. No amount of anti-insect chemicals would keep them away and any exposed skin would be attacked. If you are visiting in similar conditions, a mesh head net, long sleeves, and full-length trousers are recommended.

Badrallach is the perfect site if you want to leave the city behind. There's very little to do, so it's not ideal for kids unless they are seriously into nature, or for anyone looking for a party. But if you want to unwind, there is probably no better get-away-from-it-all campsite in Britain.

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sheila9206 6 reviews from this member

A small, fabulous, relaxed site, which is quiet and off the beaten track, about 7 miles from the main road, the drive is lovely with lots of views and sheep.

The site itself is spacious, there are 4 electric points, great shower block with lots of hot water, shower block is not an obvious block, which I liked. Indoor washing up facilities, use of freezer and fridge.

When we stayed there was no sign of Chris, the owner but we did have contact with him previously.

There is an honesty box for people to pay (it was noticed by others that not everyone did, ruins it for the future of the place I would imagine. )

I loved this site, the peace, the quiet, the views, the walk right off the site, down to the waters edge, our dog loved this every morning.

Will definitely be back again.

Date of Visit: October 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Romanay 1 review from this member

Came across a little sign for this wonderful campsite whilst driving round the west coast of Scotland deliberately getting lost as I had a bit of time to spare.

It's at the end of a 7-8 mile road that makes you feel like you 'travelling to the moon' as the campsite warden puts it. A very friendly welcome from the helpful (and handsome) warden when I arrived helped me decide to stay a couple of nights in spite of the first one being a tad windy at 50 miles per hour!

When the morning arrived it was calm and clear, cold but sunny, a really beautiful day! The mountains across the loch are just something to behold - you really feel like you are away from all of life's stresses when you are here. My little dog enjoyed herself too. I was pleased to have so much space for her to run around -although there are sheep and cows all around the area.

I saw dolphins on the loch and plenty of stags and deer. I even got to read my book which never happens! There was only one other camper who was staying in the bothy whilst I was there. I was grateful to know that the bothy was available if the weather got too bad to stay in the van. The two nights only cost me £15 too, £10 for me and £5 for the van which is a little VW.

If you are looking for peace and quiet and some surprisingly good facilities -good toilets and showers, then it is worth visiting this very beautiful very unique place. What a find- I'll be back!

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Summersmum 27 reviews from this member

We booked ahead via email and then discovered there was a new owner a few weeks before our arrival. Didn't meet him so the neighbour, Steve, is currently collecting pitch fees morning and evening. 8 miles drive from main road down single track but tarmac road.

Tents welcome as are campervans up to 6 metres long. Hook up available and fire pits by some pitches. Toilets and showers fine but could do with a spring clean. No means of drying hands. Strange sliding door across shower which doesn't work well to keep water off floor and you need to be short and slim to climb in it easily!

Beautiful views and very peaceful, loch a few minutes walk away and a pleasant footpath goes for miles when the road runs out. Great views from this out to sea and the Isle of Harris is a smudge in the distance.

Lovely place to get away from it all especially if you come stocked up so you can just relax and enjoy the scenery. Dog liked it too.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Arniesdad 14 reviews from this member

Coming back from a trip to Durness on a fine Saturday late afternoon in mid-September, having rejected a couple of sites in the Ullapool area due to them being unexpectedly full, I travelled further to seek the solace of a site I had last used some eight years ago.

A good decision! the only major change since then is the movement of the owners home up to the first croft in the village (where you are supposed to check in). The site is very peaceful, next to a bothy, with beautifully clean, and slightly quirky, facilities (I challenge you to have one of the gorgeously hot, free showers without flooding the floor!).

The side road leading to the site and the entrance to the site, I'm pleased to say, could be tricky for large motorhomes and caravans, but this last part of the journey is spectacular in it's own right with stroppy Highland cattle showing who is boss around there.

Two minor niggles in that the site does gently slope and the ground is quite soft, but who cares? a lovely little site in a spectacular setting. (I also would advise ringing before coming as the site is quite small).

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kezereth 2 reviews from this member

My Husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. It took us nearly 11 hours to drive to this campsite from Wigan, so we were very relieved that it lived up to the expectations that we read about prior to planning our trip.

This campsite is tucked away, literally in the middle of nowhere. The 8 mile trip up a dirt track from the main road throws you a little bit when you first arrive, but the scenery is breathtaking all the way to the campsite. We checked in on arrival, the guy was pleasant and informative of where we could pitch our tent. We chose a pitch in the middle of the field, a reasonable distance from the toilets and the Bothy (which we didn't go in the entire duration of our stay, only because we didn't really understand it and felt a little bit intimidated by the people staying in it. So we just left it alone. )

There is an electric hook up on the site, however we didn't need to use this. Water is fed directly from the mountain through a filtration access point. It may be copper in color and look a little bit like a urine sample, but I guarantee it's the sweetest, purest water you'll ever have drunk. The toilet / shower block is very clean and tidy and I saw somebody cleaning it several times during our stay. Similarly, cleaning products and mops/squeegees are provided for guests to clean up after themselves which makes you more inclined to keep the place clean and tidy. The showers are probably the best showers I've ever experienced on a campsite. They are gorgeously hot and powerful and a very welcome end to any camping day. Baby change facilities are also available, along with a shaving plug in power point and a hair dryer, which I was very impressed with!

The location is just beyond words. Our tent was just a mere two minutes walk to the loch side and we spent many a happy moment taking in the views of the mountains and the low hanging mist. You can't get better views than that on a campsite anywhere in the UK I would happily say, hands down.

One thing I will mention about this site is the midges. They seem to carry baseball bats around there, and we were bitten to hell after our deet wipes proved ineffective to our needs, so we popped to the Tesco in Ullapool to get some more heavy duty midge spray. If you are susceptible to insect bites, take some spray with you!

The nearest supermarket is situated 25 minutes away in Ullapool. There is also access to a few camping shops should anything be needed for your stay. The petrol garage here also sells dry logs. A lot of the pitches on the campsite have fire pits. It unfortunately rained a lot of the time during our stay, so we cheated slightly, and rather than gather wet wood from the surrounding area, we picked up a nice dry bag of logs and had a pleasant night cooking sausages and marshmallows over the fire pit as we looked out over the loch.

I'd stay here again with no issues what-so-ever. If you are looking for a totally remote getaway, a 'back to nature' affair with no frills, then this is the place for you. I suspect if you are looking for somewhere suitable for children packed with things to do, then this campsite would be less suitable.

Thank you for a very pleasant and memorable getaway!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hurfs77 4 reviews from this member

Warning don't pay up front.

Came here hoping for a relaxing family holiday, but on arrival in high winds and heavy rain there was no one was at the croft! so went to the campsite which is a little down the road to find no pitch had been reserved for as even thought we had booked well in advance. Due the the weather all the pitch's were water lodged badly so we just picked one that looked a little less flooded and setup for the night (snapping a pole in the high winds).

Day 2 went to the croft to pay! Again no one in

Day 3 Went to the croft again and low and behold so one was there! not that she was very happy to see us and not very helpful

Day 4 high winds snapped another poll on the tent but this time ripped the fabric of the tent! It was bad and there was little to no hope of a fix for it (plus my young daughter was sick) so packed up to go home. AGAIN went to the croft just to let them no what had happen but yet again no one there.

Emailed them from home the next day asking for a refund as we had not stayed for the time we had paid (as most site are more then happy to do this) just to be told no, even thought there site does state the are human and will try.

As for the site it's OK has two women's and two men's toilets & two showers (which work fine if you can get in them! useless for small children) it could all do with a little TLC but works fine.

No real place for dish-washing for campers just the use of the kitchen in the bothy (which always had people in it, we used the stream in the end ).

But the location is stunning.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gailyates 1 review from this member

Spend an idyllic week at Badrallach over the Easter break and didn't want to come home. The campsite is set on a quiet estate road, tucked away from civilisation on the banks of Little Loch Broom. Pitches are level on the main field and there are a number of additional pitches set in amongst gorse bushes, if you want a bit more privacy.

The sun shone for our entire stay so we didn't really use the bothy, but we did check it out. Its a really homely little building with huge leather sofas, a fire and a wealth of games and books that can be borrowed.

The kitchen can be used for pot washing and for cooking if needed. Facilities were fantastic, lots of piping hot water (free) for showers, which were welcome after a day on the hill. Mick, the owner, was around if needed and he's keen to have feedback on your stay.

All in all, Badrallach is a quiet little gem of a place, especially if you want to escape from life and while away the hours completely absorbed in the stunning scenery that the area has to offer. We will certainly be heading back.

Date of Visit: October 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Markphelan 19 reviews from this member

We visited Badrallach as a start to our tour of Scotland. The site was very quiet, with only a handful of other people stopping for just 1 night.

The site is very much 'off the beaten track', and the road to get there is single track (often very narrow in places). Cars are fine - we were towing a trailer without any problems, but I can imagine a campervan or caravan to be a bit more tricky round some of the tight turns and hills.

The site has space for around 12 tents, and is on a slight slope. There are 3 electric hookup points for campers/caravans towards the top of the site on a single post.

Several of the smaller pitches are dotted around amongst the hedges and many had firepits built nearby - though the one on our pitch had seen better days so I dug it out and rebuilt it.

The toilets and showers were great - plenty of hot water in the showers, once you manage to get around the 'quirky' shower screens! The bothy is equally nice, and the shared kitchen facilities were good.

We were joined by a couple of motorhomes during our stay, who both insisted on driving down to the bottom of the site. It should be noted that, especially at this time of year, the ground is not suitable for vehicles at the lower end of the site and should be avoided. One driver got his vehicle well and truly stuck at around 9pm, and despite our best efforts we could not get it free. A local farmer had to bring a tractor down to drag it out, and the motorhome left the place in a real mess with churned up ground, rocks, bits of wood etc.

If you're expecting floodlit level tarmac, then this is not the site for you. Access is limited and the site is a dark, quiet relaxing place that does not benefit from spinning tyres and revving engines. Indeed, the long track to get here should give you a clue that there is not a sprawling metropolis waiting to greet you at the end of the journey.

We loved it - the lochside is a 2 minute walk and we were lucky enough to see an otter and porpoises. On a clear night the stars were incredibly bright, and we were surrounded by deer in the hills around us.

Definitely one to visit if you want to get away from it all - but probably not for everyone due to its remoteness. We just parked up the car and enjoyed the peace for 4 nights and didn't drive anywhere until the day we left. Perfect - will definitely return!

Previous     16 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Highlands

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more