Visitor Reviews - Broadway Cottage Caravan And Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Site Reviews

Broadway Cottage Caravan And Camping

Fishing <10 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis <5 miles
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  32 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Nesty 3 reviews from this member

The price was reasonable. £10 a night (didn't take electric option). I got greeted by the owner & she informed me of walks and local facilities etc. Axbridge is nearest village, but it is a mile away, least a 30 min walk to the village square where the pubs are. The strawberry line runs along the back, which is a decent path to walk. Though that said I felt on the edge of the mendips, then in the heart of it. You have to walk in same direction to get to the decent Mendip walks I felt.

My biggest gripe would have to be the shower block. I can fully understand previous reviews about this. Very basic and cramped you hardly have any room & a basic lack of privacy. I devised my own shower plan. My tip is take minimal clothing & things with you, as there will be no space. The more things you take in with you the more problems you will have. The showers were warm and make sure you pull the shower curtain otherwise could drench the whole floor & someone standing at the basin!

It wasn’t until the end of my stay that hand soap was provided at the toilet block basin. I can only assume it was another camper who actually provided that then the site people. Also nothing to wipe your hands with, no hand dryer or paper towels, so you have to take your own hand drying stuff to the toilet. I also took my own toilet roll, as I noticed a few times the toilet roll was completely gone. I got the feeling that the bare minimum is provided.

The washing sink is cold water only. However, I got around this by filling the bowl provided with hot water from the toilet block basin.

Enjoyed the stay, but it wasn’t busy. The site has 2 large fields and probably could accommodate 300 people. I would hate to think how it the facilities would cope with it being busy. If you get 3 people in the toilet block one side it would be problems.

However, all in all a nice stay, Though the price reflects what you get in the way of basic facilities

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Janestott33 1 review from this member

This Campsite is in an excellent location. At £20 per night, we felt it was a good price for a family of four and a dog. Wished we had taken our bikes. The only down side is the showers. I felt very vulnerable, as there is only a shower curtain and no lock. When getting out of the shower you can only hope you are not going to be exposed by someone who is coming into the toilet block. Luckily the site was quiet, and many of the visitors had there own facilities in there caravans or motor homes. The toilets are cleaned daily and hot running water. This being said we had a great time here. The local leisure centre has good facilities and is nearby.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jemimac 8 reviews from this member

Just spent 4 days on this site. Nice site with a great walk just behind. Shower block I was not keen on, not private at all, needs looking at. Lucky for me only a few of us on site so when I went for a shower no one came in. The reservoir was just at the back of the site which I used as my training ground for my morning jog/walk, loved it, wish it was on my door step. Although I moaned about the shower block I would go back on this site but only if it was quiet again.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Irishackett 2 reviews from this member

This was a lovely friendly site but the toilet facilities were very basic as previously mentioned in other reviews. There is a garage nearby that has a convienience store but I found it a bit pricey, as was the fruit stall by the side of the road. There is a new Sainsburys supermarket in Cheddar where you can stock up. The site is on a main bus route to Wells or Western Super Mare running every hour. We enjoyed our stay and would return.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Scottiekim 1 review from this member

A really nice little campsite. Field was nice and flat making pitching really easy. Well maintained and no rubbish to be seen. The owner was incredibly helpful and extremely nice. Dogs are very welcome and there is a lovely dog walking area. The views are amazing from the site and the night sky is beautiful.

Toilet and shower facilities adequate for camping. Cannot fault this campsite and we look forward to returning.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Pineman 1 review from this member

Stayed here for 5 nights, brilliant location for visiting wooky hole (15 min drive) and cheddar gorge (5 min drive or 20 min walk)

There is a sainsburys supermarket in cheddar along with some handy takeaway shops.

The campsite was clean and tidy, electric hook up worked well, toilets and showers were nice and clean.

We found the owners to be very helpful, they even let us use their phone to call the AA, when we accidently locked the keys in the car.

Overall I would recommend this site, the value for money, far exceeds the basic facilities

Date of Visit: February 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Psychosian 10 reviews from this member

While -2/-3C was a little cold for camping, this is definitely a site we'll be coming back to.

As previous reviews have said, the location and views were fantastic. We only found out about the path to the reservoir as we were leaving, but it was easy enough to drive to anyway. There is a garage / shop just up the road, and it's near two villages / towns.

A nice, well kept field, with a hard standing bit for caravans too. Friendly people and a good price.

The toilet / shower block would be okay in summer, but it essentially seemed 'outside' as there was no heating and the door was often left open. There was no way we were going to shower in the freezing cold!

There was a sink for washing up, though no hot water with it.

All in all, a basic site, but in a beautiful location.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: JennyJH 5 reviews from this member

We loved the location of this site and it wasn't too busy at all when we were here. The lady told us about the path at the bottom of the field, which took us along a waterway, to the town centre which was great to take by bicycle. We pitched up on a well-looked after field and water was nearby. We even had our own bench and table set, provided in the field. There were beautiful views of the hills. The warden told us about nearby pubs, but we preferred to cook in the tent.

Although the shower blocks weren't busy and I never saw anyone else in the ladies, they could have done with some updating. There was nowhere to keep dry clothes and you had to undress in the public area before getting in the shower. The curtains on both cubicles were a bit mildew-ey and needed a good bleaching. The outdoor washing-up facility could have done with a hot water supply in order to wash greasy pans.

Having said this, we enjoyed our stay and the lady was friendly. The site fees were extremely good value and we were able to have electric hook-up.

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pacarjar 3 reviews from this member

A lovely family friendly campsite and in a good location for Cheddar, Wookey Hole and Wells.

On arrival we were greeted in a friendly and helpful way and directed to a choice of camping locations. Soon after we settled in the owner came along with a map and tourist info for us and gave us helpful popinters to local shops etc.

The facilities are basic but clean.

There is very little space for keeping clothes dry when using the shower.

Hot water at the washing up sink would be helpful - but sadly only a cold tap is connected.

The electrics really do need some attention, The power went off every night over the Easter weekend and there didn't seem to be any way of resetting this until the site owners were up and about. This is the one thing about this camp site that I think must be sorted and I note that I am not the first to mention this. I also wonder how safe the electrics are if the trip triggers so frequently, presumably something is causing an overload!

Thingas to do:

There is scope for walking into Cheddar, around the reservoir and venturing further afield along the Strawberry Line. A garage with a shop is within east walking distance for essential supplies.

We visited Wookey Hole, Ebbor Gorge, Glastonbury Tor, Wells and of course Cheddar Gorge.

I recommend this site but you must ensure you can keep your fridge cold or your camper heated without relying on the electric hook-up!

Date of Visit: February 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bensgirl 6 reviews from this member

This is a perfectly placed site to visit Cheddar, Bath, Wells and even Bristol, we managed to cram in all those places in the week we stayed! The site is spacious, with lovely views, there is a bit of road noise but only slight. On arrival, after managing to track down the owner, we were directed to a pitch. I don't know if she was annoyed at being dragged out of her cosy house but I can't say the welcome was particularly friendly, the last words were 'are your going to pay now?' Without a glimmer of a smile! We had electric hook up but it was dreadful, it kept cutting out all the time and seemed even worse at night, two nights we woke up freezing cold where our heating had gone off. The man in the van along from ours said he'd got up 3 times during the night to go and sort it out. It wasn't like there were loads of units there, there were five units in the field, and I think a couple of smaller motor homes on the hard standing area.

The wash block was nice and clean, with 3 cubicles, but with nowhere inside them where you could hang a robe or clothes, the task of having a shower was difficult, and as it was absolutely freezing in there (no form of heating at all) I only braved it once and used my own facilities after that! I do think if you are offering camping all year then heating in the shower/toilet area is a must! The other very annoying thing is the timer on the shower is set at such a short time you are continuously pressing it to get hot water out. The washing up area isn't covered, one sink and a cold tap, not really adequate again for year round camping.

I don't think we would visit this site again, it's a shame as it has the potential to be a lovely site, it's not very friendly, we only saw the owner on arrival and no more contact in the week we were there, but we could put up with that, the terrible electrics we couldn't take again!

Previous     32 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Somerset

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over £885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth £119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey