Reviews of Ashcombe Farm Certificated Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Glastonbury > Ashcombe Farm Certificated Site Reviews

Ashcombe Farm Certificated Site
Steanbow
West Pennard
Glastonbury
Somerset   (Browse area)
BA6 8ND

Open: 27/06/2020 to 31/12/2020
           01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   Outdoor Pool <5 miles
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

This is a Camping and Caravanning Club Certificated Site, which accept caravans or motorhomes and usually tents.

Reviews:  13 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

We are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Kevin smith 21 3 reviews from this member

We have returned to this site again

Lovely lady Carole

Very helpful

Showers and toilets open lovely walks for the dog

Went into stree on the bus picked up from outside the site

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 5 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Kevin smith 21 3 reviews from this member

Great time wonderful welcome from Carol. We have booked again in August for six days for another visit.

Bus stop to Street, zshepton Mallet, Glastonbury outside the entrance.

Lots of footpaths available for walking dogs. Everyone very helpful.

Peaceful and the owner was very nice

Toilet and showers opened

Date of Visit: January 2020 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Ratty 230 reviews from this member

I was looking for somewhere near Glastonbury that offered hard standings, due to poor weather, and I needed a shower after the last site did not have any, so this site appeared in my search on here and I sent an enquiry.

The owner was quick to respond and let me know the prices and told me they had space. I confirmed and headed up.

The site is easy to find and is directly off the main road into Glastonbury. It is a fairly busy road, however the house and barns are blocking the road from the site which helps dampen the noise. I was in a campervan, so it did not affect me at all, but in a tent you may hear road noise.

Check in was quick and friendly and I duly paid my £13 for one night for a campervan, me and my dog with electric hookup. I f I had gone non hookup it would have been £8 for the night, what a bargain.

Pitches are either grass or hard standing, and I went for hard standing due to the weather and hooked up. Nice spacious pitch and perfect for what I needed, there was grass to the side if I had wanted to put up the awning, but decided against it as it was just one night.

Facilities are great and consist of chemical disposal, recycling, fresh water, two toilets and one shower in the mens, presume the same in the ladies, and two communal showers. All were very clean and secure and well lit at night. There was also a washing you sink and fridge / freezer for campers to use. They had some info leaflets on the area too.

Unfortunately the pub across the road, The Apple Tree Inn, has now closed their doors, as from early Jan 2020. Bit gutted as I fancied a pint and a bite to eat, but not to worry. The road is busy, but it is walkable and about 4 miles into Glastonbury.

Glastonbury is awesome and very chilled / hippy like with lots of quirky shops and of course the normal shops, supermarkets on offer.

The area in general has loads to see and do and I for one will be back when needed a base for the area. A great site, well done all.

Date of Visit: October 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 8 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Moose6x6 2 reviews from this member

The site was tidy, toilet block and showers were also clean and the free showers were hot.

The dog walk field was great, as it was secure and fine to let the dogs run about in.

It was quiet that week and we were the only tourer for the week, with a few others for a night or two and a few longer term stayers.

The pub over the road was friendly and did great food.

Date of Visit: September 2019 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Severina12 4 reviews from this member

Think we were an afterthought!

We arrived to be shown to a grass spot with a power extension lead hanging over a fence and running from the home on the main site. We got no welcome information or told where facilities were. We had to work this out.

Facilities were very basic. There were a handful of proper hard standing pitches with electric and other numbered pitches, but not ours. Our location so near to the house, felt rather exposed as we endured tractors driving right past our pitch, cars turning almost under our awning and taxis being cleaned a few feet from us.

The first night our nearest neighbours decided to start a party with music at 1am, even though the site rules state no music after 11pm. The party went on for some time, so we had to ask them to stop the noise. They eventually went quiet. I reported this to the owner by phone, whilst we were on site and they were not interested, just saying there is a 11pm curfew and hung up on me.

The site is close to the Glastonbury festival site, but you have to walk along grass verges along a fast road to get there. At times it felt quite dangerous.

Our second night was better with the noisy neighbours leaving. The pub across the way had a function on which was audible until midnight. Our location on site was close to the busy main road, so there was traffic noise most of the time.

It was not the peaceful site we expected, the owners were not very helpful and we seemed to have paid the going rate on site for a pitch that wasnít actually a pitch. I think they had overbooked. I canít see us going back. It was pretty grim.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Crankbender 1 review from this member

We had 5 nights at Ashcombe Farm from 14th -19th Sept 2016. Carol was very helpful and the pitches are all pan flat, generous and well groomed. The toilets and showers are clean but very basic.

Nice pub across the road from the site that does food.

Fantastic position for the Glastonbury festival

The site is quite close to the road that joins Glastonbury to Shepton Mallet and we found the noise from the road an issue if you like it nice and quiet.

Also, the next field has residential campers in tourers and we did have to ask Carol to ask them to reduce the music booming through the fence at night on one occasion.

All in all, a nice site but the road noise was an issue

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: NicciMac 51 reviews from this member

We stopped here for just one night on our way from Birmingham down to Padstow. The owner was very friendly and completely amenable to our request for a pitch with EHU for our van - also our friend pitched his tent on the same pitch and they wouldn't take any extra money from him which was really sweet. Pitch was hard standing so this took a bit of negotiation with the mud to get it lined up so we could erect our awning on grass, but given the wet weather recently the concrete was something of a godsend!

Campsite good value for money. To combat the freezing conditions we took ourselves over to The Apple Tree pub for dinner (literally across the road, 1 minute walk if that). We found this a bit pricey for what it was - something like £10 for ham egg and chips! But given the outside temperature the open fire was most welcome.

Facilities - the toilets and showers are in a kind of barn/ outhouse building, this was constantly freezing but clean enough. One gripe I have is that I went to have a shower on the morning we left and couldn't get it to work at all - I think it must work on some kind of token system and you need to purchase from the house, but there were no instructions anywhere about this so I just left it. A sign would be good - I was naked and shivering before I worked out that perhaps I needed to pay! Also not a whole lot of hot water seemed to be available for the washing up sink (which is also the same sink as for toilet handwashing - not ideal).

Snow coming down as we packed up, brrrr! A+++ service from the lovely man in the house, would definitely return but check in advance what's occurring with the showers, and please sort out the hot water situation - I hate travelling with dirty dishes.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: TheBoulds 5 reviews from this member

We have just returned from here as a family of four having spent a week on this site as a base for visiting Glastonbury and the surrounding area. The site is best described as simple and very pleasant and sheltered with good level pitches with a relaxed atmosphere. Owners extremely friendly and helpful but in no way obtrusive.

The toilets were fairly basic but always clean with loads of free hot water.

As previous reviewer said there isnt any playground and towards the end of the week our 3 year old was starting to get a little bored, the site was fairly quiet so she burnt off energy running around and kicking a ball on one of the other fields. But a simple swing set would have be good.

As previously said there is a pub opposite although we didn't venture in as it kept traditional opening hours and didn't fit with our routine for the children

Excellent base for exploring the area and recommended, we would return. The main road is very busy and caution is needed when pulling out especially when leaving (if towing)

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Sbarrett 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from spending 3 nights here (anniversary get away for me and hubby without our 7yr old daughter) and have to say its a lovely site, very quiet and relaxing.

Pitches are flat and a good size easily fitting our 8 man tent, porch and car, when we arrived it had been raining hard for the previous few days and I noticed a few muddy puddles on the grass which had me slightly worried about drainage but I shouldn't have as the pitches themselves were fine and water drains away easily in fact they are quite hard and you will need your rock pegs for this site.

Shower/toilets are basic but kept very clean and everything is easy to find ie recycle bins elsan point etc.

The lady who runs the site is very friendly and helpful and in fact although she wasn't there to greet us the day we arrived she made sure that a ehu extension cable was left out for us to use.

The site is in a great location for all the tourist attractions Glastonbury, Cheddar Gorge etc, and has a pub just across the road that serves food (we didn't use this so can't say what its like)

On the down side whilst we were there we didn't see any playground for kids which means we wouldn't stop here with our daughter as we would need a park to help keep her occupied especially when cooking meals, although we did see kids just having fun kicking a ball about so if you don't need a park for your kids this site is well worth stopping at.

Another small down point is at night the site has no footpath lighting (only a security sensor light on the toilet block but this only works when you are close to it) so your having to walk in the dark to the toilets which can make it interesting when trying to avoid puddles by moonlight, so I would advise a lantern or head torch.

All in all I would say its a great site to use as a base for exploring the area and will definitely use again when its just me and hubby camping in the area.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Surferjon 10 reviews from this member

A quiet site adjacent to a farm convenient for Glastonbury and Wells.

The site has the added benefit of being opposite a good restaurant/pub. The food was not cheap but good quality, especially the steaks (£60 for 2 including starters and a few drinks)

The campsite facilities were clean and more than adequate for our requirements. We were only there for one night but would definitely use the site again next time we are in Somerset.

At £15 including electric hook up the site was good value and the owners friendly.

Previous     13 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Ashcombe Farm Certificated Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Ashcombe Farm Certificated Site?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Ashcombe Farm Certificated Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Glastonbury      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Somerset