Visitor Reviews - Tyddyn Du Campsite

Dolgellau
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL40 2UA

Open: March To November

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   No Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  15 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Nights stayed: 14+ Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Balfour 16 reviews from this member

We have been here before with no issues today16th May while I was cooking on my trailer at 6pm in the evening I had my smart car door open playing a cd low volume, I was told to turn it down by a member of the site who is involved in running it, it wasn't loud at all.

I complied by the request. I have to add my wife did not hear the music, although she wa kept awake the previous night by noise behind to 4. 30 am by a party. These people I know who have been coming here for several years and obviously have been given a by ball. I have only been coming for two years.

Maybe is I come from Northern Ireland I am a second class person, as I have found on several occasions in the UK in different situations a second second class citizen. I add I have been a British Soldier an Officer holding the Queens commission in the RAMC 253 NI Field Ambulance, I have served my country, I am in no way a second class person in the UK. Sites need a DB meter to invoke rules and regulations. I know my volume was well below regulated limits.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: GoalPostHead 2 reviews from this member

What a great site. Camp fires on the floor, farmer sells bags of wood for £4 each and delivers plus allows you to pick up dead fall from the nearby woods.

Showers and toilet block - basic but clean.

Great location to visit Barmouth.

If you want a proper camping experience I would recommend and will go back myself.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jewsack 2 reviews from this member

Yeah, so my first review. This is absolutely my type of campsite, basic but very clean facilities, the owner buggers off and leaves you to it once you've paid. I saw him 3 times over my 3 nights. Fantastic location, really quiet. The showers as mentioned were great, not often you get on tap water to enjoy. 10 minutes drive to supermarkets in 2 directions. Surprised not to see the midges mentioned, take insect repellent and/or citronella and you'll be fine. I'll definitely go back.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: NTP1 6 reviews from this member

This is now in our top 3 campsites. It is in a stunning location with views that are breathtaking

It is back to basics proper camping.

The facilities are basic but clean, the owner is very helpful, the pitches are excellent and flat and the scenery magnificent.

There are woods accessed from the site and these lead to river which can be crossed and then a footpath follows to the estuary which can be walked at low tide. Be careful as the tide can rise quickly though.

Real campfires every night, the owner will sell you bags of logs and you can get your own wood from the surrounding woods for smaller stuff to get it going.

The pub nearby (under 10 mins walk) is good with local real ale and good food in the evenings.

Recommend shell island as a day trip. Miles of beaches and sand dunes.

I was told midges can be a problem but it was very windy all week we were there so no issue for us.

We camped in the lower field near the estuary, but be careful as it floods on high tide. The owner is very aware and will let you know if it is safe when you are there.

Really relaxed. Just turn up, pitch and enjoy

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sairywairy 1 review from this member

Lovely location.

Right on the estuary.

Fairly basic facilities- 1 F and 1 M shower. However never had to wait. Although basic- always clean.

Local pub easy walk- serves basic pub food.

The bottom field floods when there is a high tide - check before you pitch, otherwise you might have to move like we did.

This site is really all about the location and the stunning views of the mountains

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Daveukleics 24 reviews from this member

Lovely site. Great views. Toilet shower block very nice. Wifi good but you have to pay for it. On arrival I was told straight away that I could take my pick up on site to unload and then I would have to bring it off site and park outside the barrier. It's not a works pick up or even used for work, it's covered in at the back with no sign writing.

I was told it was for insurance purposes. Never been told that in the last 6 years of vanning.

We were escorted to our pitch and before I got out the groundsman was unhitching the van, he quickly spun it around towards the pitch which was at a steep angle, he continued to roll it into position when I heard a bang, I looked at the back of the van and one of the stabiliser feet had snapped off where the van had dropped off the edge of the road onto the grass. On closer inspection I realized it had cracked the corner of the van about 80mm long. They did replace the feet but if this had not taken the full force of the impact it would have definitely ripped the corner of the van off.

Our pitch was very steep, that steep the back of the van was touching the floor and could not drain my waste water into the hog.

I could not get the awning poles inside as one end was off the floor and the other was too low. Luckily it did not rain whilst we were there or it would have filled with water as it was in a dip.

If you get windy weather there be very very aware of your awning, .

The site views are lovely. Most of the pitches are level ish buts lots are not. Seasonal vans are literally 4ft in the air on blocks in places.

The site is well kept with lots of flowers and mown lawns.

The beach close by is ok but not the best, it's ok for walking dogs but you would not want to set a blanket and chairs up there. There is a pub just out of the gates.

I would not return due to how most of the pitches are and the fear of hitting a windy period but this is a nice site.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Luscombe 1 review from this member

Absolutely amazing views. The feeling of space is tremendous.

You can walk the hills, swim in the rivers, eat by the campfire. If you want to relax, then this is the way to go.

Facilities are fine. It's a place with a chilled atmosphere and enough room to suit those who love the outdoors life.

Local facilities include Coed Y Brenin, a nice beach at Barmouth and good cycle paths. A climb to the peak of nearby Cader Idris is recommended.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daddad 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 4 night stay at this site.

What a fantastic place. We had full on sun during the day and sub zero at night. Thank god for EHU and a fan heater.

The site has both open and more secluded places to pitch. We chose a more sheltered pitch as the wind was really strong when we arrived. (glad we did as the wind didn't really drop whilst we were there)

The site has stunning views across the Mawddach estuary to Cader Idris, which was covered with snow during our stay.

As mentioned by other reviewers the toilets/showers are a little basic but were always clean so not a problem.

Will certainly go again.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Agnes Nitt 5 reviews from this member

Had stayed at this campsite many years ago, and although we stay in Barmouth at least once a year had never been back. Decided it was time. As it had been raining the pitches by the estuary were very boggy and we were worried about getting out car out if it rained anymore.

Had no problem pitching on the upper level just by the shower blocks. Good job as the heavens opened on Sunday evening. It was an adventure I can tell you.

The showers and toilets were basic but very, very clean and the water for the shower was hot with no time limit. A god send as I was covered in mud from slipping down so many times

The owner was very friendly as was his son who came to collect the money. We couldn't have a fire as the weather didn't permit this, but next time we definitely will pitch on the estuary and look out over the stunning views with a camp fire and a couple of glasses of wine. How perfect will that be.

The Halfway House is only a ten minute walk and the meals were very reasonable – I think we had two meals for £12. 00. Because of the weather we didn't feel like cooking but found a café just up from the campsite which did a good full breakfast.

Will definitely be going back, perhaps not when it is monsoon season.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sospan-fach 4 reviews from this member

Having read an earlier review I decided to try out this 'little gem' and was not disappointed.

The views surrounding the site are, quite frankly, stunning. Cader Idris is within easy reach via a short drive and the 800m climb provides even greater views of the locality.

The facilities are extremely basic - the gent's urinal is open air - but they are kept very clean as were the showers and bins.

The owner was almost always around and would chat about the locality, give advice about walks and local towns but was never intrusive. He would provide logs for the camp fires at a small charge.

The unspoilt nature of the site meant it was a little boggy in places and you had to be careful where you pitched. However, the 'secret garden' effect meant that everyone on the site had the same attitude. Everyone was even more friendly than campers always are anyway and there was more of a family feel to the place.

I fully intend to return and wake up facing that mountain come rain or shine!

To some it up in one word. As I'm Welsh. Rhagorol!

Previous     15 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Gwynedd

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over £205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire