Visitor Reviews - Balbirnie Park Caravan And Motorhome Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Fife > Glenrothes > Balbirnie Park Caravan And Motorhome Club Site Reviews

Balbirnie Park Caravan And Motorhome Club Site
Markinch
Glenrothes
Fife   (Browse area)
KY7 6NR
Tel: 01342 327 490
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: 16/03 To 05/11

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <10 miles   Restaurant <10 miles   Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool 5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   No Cycle Hire   Golf 5 miles   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Roons 5 reviews from this member

We were traveling with family in two vans and took a while choosing our pitches - we started with ones beside each other but ended up moving as we were in full view of a housing estate that looked right onto that part of the site. Without any problems at all we changed pitches to a couple a bit further back that were surrounded by trees and offered a bit more privacy - the wardens were more than helpful in letting us chop and change. The site is nice and there are a choice of shaded areas and more open areas on different levels. The pitches were spacious enough and a bit messy with leaves but this was not really a problem. The site is very quiet after about 9pm - this is fine if you like peace and quiet but we felt a little noisy staying up til late but we tried not to be rowdy! The toilet block was our first experience of Caravan Club toilets/showers and indeed they were spotlessly clean with lots of hot water. A great site for a base for touring Edinburgh etc. The site sits in the bottom corner of a massive and beautiful park - brilliant for dog walking, cycling etc. Friendly wardens. Handy shop on site for essentials. Great little information 'shed'.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Madge23 7 reviews from this member

This is a lovely little site set in a woodland setting in a very large country park. The wardens are a young couple who are very helpful and keep this site in tip-top condition and the toilets and showers are immaculate. There is not much to do if you do not have a car apart from walks in the country park. The town of Markinch is only a few minutes walk away with a two good supermarkets etc. I would use this site again but only as a stopover on route to somewhere else.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Waterman 23 reviews from this member

Site - excellent location especially as a stopover if going North South. Very easy to find, but layout is a bit odd, I followed the road and all the open pitches were taken, what I took to be a path up to the upper level was actually the main drive, so I missed it and ended up in a cul de sac, so there I stayed. Not good as opposite the houses which line the bottom of the site. It was sunny and lots of children where out in the garden in paddling pools screaming, lots of dogs barking. Quietened down as it got dark, ok as only there one night.

Wardens - Informative and very friendly

Dog Walk - none on site, but literally about 10 yards from entrance miles of parkland.

Washroom - Just had coded entry fitted, good clean, typical CC standard.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Laceby 11 reviews from this member

My husband and I and our 3 dogs stayed for 2 nights at this wonderful site

The facilities were excellent and the park just around the corner from the site was ideal for walking the dogs

The village was within walking distance with a post office and other shops.

The wardens were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble you only had to ask. The information hut was good and had folders on fishing, menus etc

We had a meal at the Balbirnie Hotel which was excellent we will stay there again when visiting the area.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Hulltrucker 14 reviews from this member

I stayed here for one night on my way up to the North of Scotland. The site was easy to find as it was signposted from the main road and the access road was excellent. The wardens were reliefs covering holidays and were really friendly and helpful

The village is just a few minutes walk away and has shops and everything you might need. The site itself was muddy in places due to recent bad rain (for instance my aqua roll got filthy) but otherwise was of an excellent standard as you would expect from a Caravan Club site. If I went again I would try and get a pitch not under the trees (although that would be quite difficult to find!) as it tends to make your pitch a bit dark and I found myself having to put lights on in the van during the day to see what I was doing. I also had to clean my caravan afterwards as it was covered in bits of leaf and tree sap.

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Prickles46 6 reviews from this member

All the good pitches seem to be taken on almost a permanent basis, and the casual callers like us were left with the ones under the trees, which were a bit dark and depressing. The other thing I noticed was the pitches can be a bit short; our van is 7.55m long and we could only fit on one of the pitches available without sticking out into the road. Even then, we had the back end way over the back edge of the pitch, and doing the steadies was almost mission impossible!

Apart from that it is a lovely site and convenient for seeing Fife. The Coastal Route is great, and the prize winning chippie in Anstruther is well worth a visit. I wouldn't go back, because I don't like dark pitches. No noise from the estate apart from a bit of hedge trimming one day.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sadkate 9 reviews from this member

I visited here with a tiny tent, travelling by bike.

The staff were helpful if a bit difficult to locate at times.

It's a small site and seemed to be populated by long term visitors. The only other residents I met were very friendly, taking pity on me in my tiny tent with my tiny stove and bringing me boiling water.

The pitch I was given was in an area under some trees. Bearing in mind my tent is about 2m by 1. 5m I struggled to find a flat when it was quite empty. The ground wasn't very flat and there were quite a lot of roots.

The park is in a good location for exploring Fife. Falkland Palace, East and West Lomond hills for climbing, Pillars of Hercules organic farm cafe, nature reserve at Loch Leven, etc. All nearby and it's still near to the coast if you want to go to the beach.

It's a 5 minute walk into the village of Markinch where there is a pub or two.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Raithfanz 7 reviews from this member

We were visiting family in nearby Kirkcaldy as well as having a few tourist days in Edinburgh and along the Fife coast so this was a virtually ideal location for us.

The wardens were friendly (but difficult to find sometimes due to it being a busy site). The site was fairly full on our arrival and although we found a pitch fairly quickly others who came after us found it harder to find a pitch they were happy with.

We pitched on the side nearest the road and the housing mentioned by others. We had absolutely no problems with any noise - as far as we were concerned we might have been in the middle of nowhere.

The site is on a hill and there was often a strong smell of burnt clutch so beware if you are pulling a heavy van!

The facilities were spotless and included recycling bins and a laundry room which was great as it rained a lot and my family (my son in particular) were running out of clean clothes!

Its a good location for exploring the beautiful Fife coast including Pittenweem and Anstruther (which has Britains Best Chip Shop). It is also a good location for Edinburgh as Markinch Railway Station in only a few minutes walk away.

There was no playground but the children amused themselves and Balbirnie Park (to which the caravan site is attached) is huge with plenty of area for the kids to let off steam.

We would stay here again.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Stephendufton 10 reviews from this member

Excellent facilities, and a warm and helpful reception from the staff. The thing that I enjoyed most was meeting the people of Markinch. At first sight this does not look a promising town, but everyone we met, in shops, in pubs and even out walking were extremely friendly and helpful. There are also regular trains from the nearby station to edinburgh or Perth.

Date of Visit: June 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Marybeare 7 reviews from this member

We enjoyed 4 days at this friendly wooded site with all the normal caravan club facilities and lots of wildlife.It can be dark under the trees so chose your pitch with this in mind.

Set in Balbirnie park which is perfect for walking or relaxing.

We had car problems which meant we spent two days carless!The site is close to a good bus service to glenrothes,a railway station with direct line to Edinburgh.Short walk to Post office, and shops close by selling food,papers etc.Two local hotels serving food.The restaurant in balbirnie park hotel is expensive but their bistro is excellent and good value

A ideal site if you don't want to use your car.And enjoy peace and quiet

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Other Sites Near Glenrothes      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Fife

Win Kids Camping Essentials worth 100! Win a BUZZ RACK Buzzpro Towball Platform

UKCS Meet Shackerstone Family Festival 31/08 to 01/09, Leicestershire
Includes arena entertainment, vintage cars, canal boats, planes, railways and much more! EXCLUSIVE Discounted weekend camping tickets ...more