Reviews of Glen Wyllin Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Isle of Man > Kirk Michael > Glen Wyllin Campsite Reviews

Glen Wyllin Campsite
Main Road
Kirk Michael
Isle of Man   (Browse area)
IM6 1AL
Tel: 07624 330360  or  01624 878231

Open: 01/04/2021 to 30/09/2021

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming <1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Willowsa72 2 reviews from this member

My husband, myself and son stayed here with friends. We booked ahead and I ask for details about accessibility. I am disabled and a wheelchair user. I am also mobile with crutches. I was advised there was a disabled toilet and requested a pitch as near to he facilities as possible. Upon arrival we were advised it was extremely busy and we were given pitches in a quieter position, however this meant we were further away from the facilities. This campsite is in a lovely position however the biggest let down was he toilet facilities. They were very old and absolutely filthy. I was very reluctant to let my son use the toilets. The floors were soaking wet and therefore I had no choice but to use my wheelchair. This was very difficult as the entrance into the toilets was very tight and I had to have assistance to get in and out. The toilets facilities were not cleaned at all during our stay and were so bad you would not even want to brush your teeth there. The next morning they were full of empty beer cans and the the disabled toilet was really disgusting. Therefore although the position of the site is great, because of the disgusting facilities we would not camp here again.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Malane 4 reviews from this member

We stayed at Glen Wyllin for two nights at the begining of September. The campsite is in a beautiful location with a stream flowing through the middle of the site to the beach. There is also a nice little play park which the children enjoyed and a small shop on site which was very convenient. However we were very dismayed about the state of the shower/ toilet block. Bluntly put it was revolting! On the door of the ladies toilets there was a sheet that was to be signed and dated by the staff when they cleaned it. On our arrival they had not been cleaned for three days and they still had not been cleaned when we left two days later!

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Whiskywhiskymac 11 reviews from this member

We mainly wild camped or used our two small backpacking tents whilst walking the Raad ny Foillan Isle of Man Coastal, however when we got to Kirk Michael we were wet, cold and tired. So rather than hunker down in the rain we decided to splash out and hire one of the static family tents at Glen Wyllin - at £55. 00 a bit steep for two people. However on the plus side we were dry, warm and the unit come with a cooker, the gas and all utensils - and you gain some comfort.

The site is in a lovely setting - although the midges were present in July (another good reason to be in the larger tent). The valley runs down to a beautiful sandy beach, there is a stream and waterfalls.

However the site and facilities were extremely disappointing. The wash blocks were filthy - and remained so for most of our stay. Two of the toilets were blocked - one was the disabled cubicle. I would not have entertained taking a person in a wheel chair into it. The showers needed a good hose down and also needed to be cleared of all the empty bottles and detritus that littered the floor.

The rubbish bins were overflowing, the laundry room was a disgrace, the shop was very lacking in supplies. All in all the site was a shambles - and it wasn't even busy.

If you want to stay in a fabulous site try the one at Laxey - staff and management at Glen Wyllin should go and stay there to see how a camp ground should be run.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Holmese 1 review from this member

We (myself, husband, 2 children age 2 and 5) have just returned from visiting this site. It is set in a beautiful Glen with a stream running through and a waterfall.

Its road running through the centre ends at golden beach. We were really lucky with the weather and on the most part enjoyed our stay,

The negative things that stick out however are

1. the midgies, trees and stream = lots of bites!
2. Twice the loos were out of paper
3. the loos weren't particularly clean.
4. the showers were far too hot for my 2 year old.
5. the embankment down to the flat part of bottom field is very steep and very slippery when wet with morning dew ( I slipped and hurt my shoulder)

All in all wouldn't use this site again.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: M+MGalliers 20 reviews from this member

Good points:-

Near beach and near village with shop, pub (The Mitre) and Post Office.

Sheltered site surrounded by trees and with a stream going through the site. Several separate fields in which to pitch, either side of the lane. Flat fields, and there is a fantastic tent pitch overlooking the sea (already taken when we got there!)

Plenty of loos and free, hot showers.

Small shop on site that sells basic refreshments and has seating outside. Friendly service.

Childrens play park on site, but you can pitch away from this if you don't want to be near it.

Bad points:-

Showers, loos and kitchen area were not very clean

Site is situated either side of a public lane which goes to beach. Therefore, people use it for dog walking, or going to the beach. Some people drive through with surfing gear etc and park at the end of the lane near one of the tent fields

The field we pitched in had some large boggy patches

You can't drive your car onto the tent field nearest the beach and you have to park it at side of public lane.

Shop not well stocked (eg didn't sell milk!)

Limited menu in Mitre pub and no food on a Sun or Mon evening.

We stayed one night and this was our least favourite of the three sites we used.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Paddyandchris 10 reviews from this member

We stayed at Glen Wyllin campsite for 10 nights over the TT period. We selected the site via this website and the reports already shown. As we are not early risers, so we also needed a site which was not shut-off when the roads are closed for racing and practice. So on paper, this site seemed to fit our requirements. We were not disappointed at all.

We arrived by motorbike and trailer-tent. We had pre-booked with (hook-up) and were shown to our pitch. The site is split into a few areas – not all in one big field, and the part we were in was well sheltered by hills and trees, but still allowed sunshine throughout the day. The ground was quite level and tent-pegs went in easily.

The site is well equipped with adequate water and waste points. There is an on-site shop with most basic equipment (although not gas). Over the TT period there was also a mobile van doing bacon butties in the morning and baked potatoes in the evening.

The on-site toilets and showers are basic but clean, well maintained and there were no queues at the times we needed them. The showers were always hot and powerful and the loo-roll holders were nearly always full.

The site also seemed to have many I.O.M. Residents visiting – a sign that his site is preferred by the ‘locals’. There was one issue with late night noise but this was dealt with very efficiently by the site and without a bad atmosphere.

Both the beach and the TT circuit are within five minutes walking distance, and ‘The Mitre’ pub is just ten minutes walk away. The pub has traditional ales and good meals. There is also occasional live music. The village shop has an extensive selection of groceries, etc. Apart from the racing, the Isle of Man has tremendous history, with its own government and laws. A good selection of castles, museums and other attractions are available.

Would we use this site again?? Most definitely!

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Matthewdhudson 2 reviews from this member

Being a virgin camper, I decided to take my 3 year old son camping while we were on holiday for a week in the isle.

I choose this site because it was the closest, and it had been recommended to me by some friends who have been before.

We went on the Monday morning, and it seemed quite busy so I would imagine booking would be essential for weekends.

The site had plenty of flat pitches, which were at the side of a stream which me and my son had great fun walking through from our pitch, to the waterfall further up the campsite.

The beach was a very short walk from out tent, when we arrived the tide was in and the waves looked quite menacing, but later that day, when the tide had gone out it exposed a huge pebble/sandy beach which was great for walking and exploring.

There are also woodland paths that lead up the hillside close to the tents which was another place to explore.

The large children's playground was very welcome and was great for my son to play in when I was washing the pots or using the toilet as it is right next to the facilities.

As we were only staying one night, I didn't use the showers but the toilets seemed clean enough(as long as your not expecting 5* but I wouldn't think you would be camping if you were!)

The room at the back of the shop has a sink, a fridge and a freezer which was essential to keep our sausages in for breakfast the next day!

There was also a room with a dryer and washing machine but we didn't use these. There was also a tv room which we never went in to.

All in all this seemed like a very good campsite, with plenty of places to explore. The facilities were more than adequate and although I did see a bit of rubbish lying around, the site overall was clean.

The shop sold the bare essentials, and plenty of kids toys, which I suppose is there way of making money because my sons eyes lit up when we walked in there!

I would go back again, but as I am new to camping I had nothing to compare it to.

Date of Visit: June 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Janeao 1 review from this member

The glen is really lovely. What they don't tell you is your on a public road with the world and their wife driving, walking cycling past at all times of the day. The bins were hardly every emptied and no drinking water, do remember to take your own

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stolt Bikers 1 review from this member

Glen Wyllin Campsite is one of the best I have ever stayed at.

I took a party of 9 Bikers there for the TT in 2008 (from various parts of Europe and the UK) and all found it ideal for not only watching the TT racing, but also as a good central base for exploring the Islands many attractions.

The facilities were of a good standard with 90% of the pitches being ideally located and bike friendly.

Showers and toilets are sufficient in number and clean, parking is plentiful and even during the TT fortnight, the site is quiet of an evening.

We found that Pam and John gave us a friendly receiption on arrival and ensured that everything was ok throughout our stay.

Shop facilities are minimal but since you are on an Island, it is only a short distance to get to any of the numerous stores.

With all of the above in mind, my wife, myself and friends from Germany have already booked for June 2009.

Keep up the good work and don't let the local forestry commission restrict it's use.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Camper12350 1 review from this member

The site is in a nice location, set in a glen with a river running through the centre. The campsite leads down to the sea and is very nice for a relaxing stroll along the beach at dusk.

We stayed here during August 2008 during the Manx GP. The site was fairly water logged (we had heavy rain the week before in all fairness) but we almost got stuck one night with our car.

The toilets and showers could be better although the showers are hot and where never busy when I used them (early and late). Good washing up facilities in a room in behind the shop.

The warden wasn't welcoming at all. I felt that I was causing hassle by just paying to stay for 5 nights!

Avoid the tumble dryer as this is expensive and next to useless.

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Is Glen Wyllin Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Glen Wyllin Campsite?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Glen Wyllin Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Kirk Michael      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Isle of Man

UKCS Meet Caravan and Motorhome Show Stratford 23/07 to 25/07
New and used motorhomes & campervans with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021