Visitor Reviews - Runnage Farm Bunkhouse And Barns

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Dartmoor > Runnage Farm Bunkhouse And Barns Reviews

Runnage Farm Bunkhouse And Barns
Postbridge
Dartmoor
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
PL20 6TN

Pitches: No camping for 2019
Open: 01/03 To 31/10

No Tents   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   Cycle Hire 10 miles   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  20 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10         Next 10

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Scoutkim3870 3 reviews from this member

Our favourite campsite anywhere. Have been three times- twice early season and once late season. The toilets and showers were fine, the noise levels fine and the owners lovely.

No-one can reach you by mobile phone for miles around. There are miles of idyllic walks, lovely pub and shop about 1.5 miles, you are on a working farm in the middle of Dartmoor, you can pitch by a stream and light a small fire. What more could you want!

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dead Sheep 13 reviews from this member

I cannot say that I am overly enamoured with this site, the pitches are wet and soggy and uneven. There are no rules regarding noise and as a consequence, some other campers were noisy. We were also disturbed by quad bikes driving around at 2am.

For people wishing use barbeques, the owners do not appear to object to small campsite fires. We were there at a busy time of year and the shower/toilet facilities can just about cope with the demand. As a warning for mobile phone users, there is virtually no reception for several miles surrounding the farm.

Despite that, Runnage Farm is ideally situated within Dartmoor and is located within a fairly pretty hollow.

I am not too sure whether I would use the site again. The deciding factor would be rainfall.

Date of Visit: December 2008 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mildgreen 7 reviews from this member

I love this campsite. It's rough and ready. The showers and loos are horrid, the pitches are often soggy, uneven, not level and the grass is not mown, and the place smells of manure. I haven't had to share it with DoEers or summer party people but that would also get on my nerves. Nevertheless there's something magic about it - it's a beautiful place in a wonderful part of the world. The owners are friendly and helpful, too. I'll go back again and again when I'm on hiking trips to Dartmoor when I fancy sleeping somewhere with a loo and a shower: I just wouldn't stay there with Mrs MG as she'd go mad!

Date of Visit: June 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shimergo 4 reviews from this member

Great location in the middle of the moor. But for tent campers at least the owners have no rules or interest in noise levels - we were kept awake by the music of other campers until 3am :-( Maybe we were unlucky (it was the summer equinox weekend) For children, beware that the toilets, etc are the other side of a working farm yard (tractors etc.).

Date of Visit: June 2009 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Katesdad 6 reviews from this member

Used Runnage Farm as a base for part of my sponsored coast to coast walk.

Turned up on spec, and Christine gave me a camping barn to myself.

A shower, a couple of lagers and 8 hours in my hammock had me fresh as a daisy for the challenge.

Yet another memorable stay and this great location.

Thanks to everyone who stopped me and made a contribution. We raised 1500 for Help for Heroes.

See ya again later in the year.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chrishanssen 2 reviews from this member

This was my first ever campsite (that I can remember) and so I was slightly surprised as to how close people were to each other. Admittedly I had driven quite a long way and was tired and wanted a drink but I was facing the prospect of a very busy campsite. With this we went across the road to the field opposite (that was ok) and found a wonderful pitch and settled down. It turned out most of the people were DofE and they left early so no problems there.

The toilet and shower block was tricky at first because you had to plan your showers. There were only two working and so there was always a queue. They were basic but clean and nice and warm.

My first impressions of 'oh god maybe I should have stuck to hotels' began to change as the fire was lit, wine poured and we settled down for the night. The campsite is truly beautiful and provides a strange homely feel because its a working farm. The next three days were like this a cycle of growing in love with camping and everything the campsite had too offer.

The farm dogs are lovely but they chase the cars so watch out for that.

In the local area there is postbridge up the road (1-2km) which is lovely and that has a little shop and a pub. Further afield Princetown is great for a taste of town live, there incredible visitor centre and the prison.

So in conclusion the campsite maybe be a bit rough round the edges but the owner is lovely and the facilities work. It has a relaxed feel and lovely surroundings that makes you feel glad to camp.

Date of Visit: June 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: DJHMS 4 reviews from this member

Been twice. This is my favourite campsite ever.

Nice owners - helpful. Pay upfront/when you leave. Bring/buy wood for fires (stick to a pit that's already in use).

Lovely streams to paddle in, splash your face in the sun, keep beers cool.

The showers and loos are basic but more than adequate if you're into 'real' camping.

Shops are miles away so come with supplies. There's a pub about 15 minutes' walk away which is 'just okay.'

Take a map if you're going walking on the Moor. There are wild ponies around day and night - sometimes they come on the site looking for food. And there are lots of sheep around so watch for dung. It's a farm!

I hope they keep it how it is, but I also hope it doesn't 'catch on' if you know what I mean. I shouldn't have written this review.

It takes ages to get there!

Oh, also, last time I went it rained very badly for three days. On day three we abandoned our tents and stayed in the barn bunks. Thank you! (Even though it cost extra).

Buy some real cider on your way there - there's a great press a couple of miles West of Exeter on your way in to Dartmoor.

5 stars.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: MistyMoon 6 reviews from this member

I visited the site with two friends at the start of July. Located in the center of Dartmoor, it was a stunning location and site, and felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. The field we staying in had a pretty stream running at its edge and is bordered with trees. The water is a perfect place to chill in the summer. The site allows campfires, which makes a camping trip something else. It was a bit windy the two days that we were there, but we helped each other pitch so it wasn't a problem. The facilities are basic, but kept clean and tidy, with free showers. The farm also sells homemade burgers for the BBQ. We had a really lovely stay and will visit again.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ukdiggers 1 review from this member

Great little Camp site (well quite big). Basic but good for camping, little bit of a walk to the free hot showers, but not that far really. Situated in a wide open valley, so the wind can come through a bit, but on a good day it is very beautiful.

You can have camp fires on site, an there was plenty of woog laying about when we were there, it is next to a wood which helps, but it might be private - so worth checking before you start dragging out logs!

All in all a really nice site, in a very quite location, the small stream is perfect for chilling down beers and for the kids to play in.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Katesdad 6 reviews from this member

Stayed in one of their excellent camping barns for one night, before striking out for a few nights on Dartmoor.

Camped in their riverside field the last night. Within reason you can light a campfire. Not many places let you do that !

Facilities are excellent, Christine couldn't be more helpful or pleasant. Don't believe the notices about the collies, they're soft as seaside donkeys!

Two quick point, and these aren't criticisms. This is a genuine working farm, so you'll be dodging tractors and stepping over (and sometimes in !) cow muck. Secondly, the field comes right up on Walla Brook, so be careful with little ones.

Great location, wonderful owners. They'll see me again!

Previous     20 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20     Next

Other Sites Near Dartmoor      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Devon (South)

Win Kids Camping Essentials worth 100! Win a BUZZ RACK Buzzpro Towball Platform

UKCS Meet Shackerstone Family Festival 31/08 to 01/09, Leicestershire
Includes arena entertainment, vintage cars, canal boats, planes, railways and much more! EXCLUSIVE Discounted weekend camping tickets ...more