Visitor Reviews - Moor End Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Moor End Farm
Acaster Malbis
York
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
YO23 2UQ
Tel: 01904 706727  or  07860 405872

Open: April To October

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Shop   No Bar   No Restaurant   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  25 in total, now showing 7 to 12                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Joanne m 1 review from this member

Hi there we have just came back from this site and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The proprietors are such nice people. Roger is a very helpful chap. The toilet blocks and showers were very clean. Our caravan was pitched near to roadside of site. But the traffic was never a problem. Infact I wouldn't have it any other way because we spoke to lots and lots of villagers who were strolling by. Everyone had time to chat. This site is ideally situated for lovely river walks and into Bishopthorpe or a little drive for local tesco or other shopping outlets

We have already booked to go back and take family.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Northbankscunny 1 review from this member

A lovely little site and I will definitely be returning. We booked in to stay for 4 nights as the location suited exploring York. Don't be put off by other reviews that suggest small pitches, while we were there the owner was turning people away because he was full and there was plenty of room.

The owners are very friendly and even after a particularly heavy storm popped round to check we were alright.

The facilities are modest but with the size of the site it was never a problem, they were always clean. There is a communal fridge for people to use, which works due to the decency of the people on the site, though I will say that if you go and are struggling for space in the fridge check the due dates on some of the food/drink in there as some things must have been left behind by previous campers as they were very out of date.

You can catch a riverboat during the summer to York this picks up within walking distance of the site, but only operates on a Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

What we tended to do was drive to Askham Bar park and ride and take the bus into york, these buses are very frequent and cost 2. 50 per adult return (this also allows 2 children per adult for free) so I only paid 5. 00 for myself, wife and 3 children, as opposed to the 2. 00 an hour in the city car parks.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bennetts 1 review from this member

We have just returned from 6 nights at Moor End Farm and have had a great time. The site is really nice and seems to be kept fairly quiet by the owner, who was turning people away as often as taking them in. The ground we were on had a few holes in it but nothing serious.

The shower block is nice and has lovely warm showers, no push buttons to get the water, and they are free too! Would be lovely if there was more than one per gender. The family room has two showers in and we were lucky enough to be able to use this facility.

There is quite a nice pub a shortish walk through the village, food was reasonable and they were very accommodating. The ring road is easy to get to from the site so getting to the Park & Ride sites is easy.

We've had a great time and will go back.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Babydaisy 8 reviews from this member

Well, what a little gem! This is a quiet little site, unspoilt by commercialism. There are two small fields, one with some static caravans in it, but they are tucked along one side and don't detract from the camping feel. The larger field has camping along the road side, but there are not too many cars along this road, so don't be put off.

The toilet block is simple, with one shower in the boys and one in the girls, but Roger has put a disabled/family room with two showers inside (open plan). To be honest, there wasn't enough people there to warrant any more showers. There was loads of hot water- and no queues!

I had also lugged my hairdryer all the way there, to find one in the girls side- all free!

No shop on site, but Bishopthorpe has a Co-op, post office and chip shop there, only 1 mile down the road. The Ship Inn was within easy walking distance and does lovely food.

We caught the riverboat to York (catch it outside the Ship Inn), which was a great way to travel into the city as I understand the parking in York is expensive. (There are park and rides of course).

Also, a must, is the steam train from Pickering to Whitby. What a fab experience.

Moor End Farm has ducks that waddle around, and we also had the pleasure of seeing their ducklings. There are some pigs in the field next door, and if you park under any trees, the dawn chorus starts at about 4am. However, isn't this all part of camping??

I don't think this would suit older kids, who may get bored, but there are swings for younger ones.

All in- we would definitely go there again -talk about relaxing. Well done Roger!

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Fireballjan 1 review from this member

After reading the previous reviews for this site I decided that I must visit and see for myself. The site was lovely. Very clean and tidy. I am a complete novice at caravanning having only bought our 'van' that afternoon, I wasn't quite sure how the water should get from the bottle to the tap! luckily there were some very helpful caravanners who soon had me up and running ( pardon the pun!). My 6 year old soon made friends with other children on the site. The site is small but there is a mixture of statics, touring vans and tents, each having access to a picnic bench, there are even some site 'ducks' which the children loved feeding bread to. There are some swings which my son enjoyed with no complaints of there not being more equipment, he was very happy to make his own enjoyment and ride his bike around the site. The toilet and washing facilities were kept very clean and looked like they had been recently repainted, the shower was great, good water pressure, and nice and warm, but as there was only one I had to wait a little while for my turn. Our pitch backed onto the country lane but there was so little traffic it didn't bother us at all. I would definitely recommend this site.

Date of Visit: February 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sidloz 3 reviews from this member

What can I say? I shall be brief but there is a story behind this. I was going to York to meet an old friend. If you have ever been to York you'll know how expensive it is, and B and B's are no exception so decided to take the van, even though it's only February! Due to a misunderstanding on the phone (I won't bore you with the details) but the open all year site I planned to stay at was closed. So at 4pm on a Friday afternoon I started driving round in circles looking for somewhere to stay. Not fun. The first 2 sites I tried were closed the next two were full. So I was pointed in the direction of Acaster. It's nearly dark and I saw some caravans parked in a field so pulled in. Knocked on the door of the farmhouse and the friendliest bloke in the world greeted me. I asked if I could pitch up for a couple of nights and he said yes. Great. I was not expecting what happened next. The other vans were empty and just being stored. In fact, I was the only person on the site. The owner, whose name I didn't get then cleaned the showers toilet and washing up area. Amazing. It was only about 10 minutes ago when I went on to write this review I noticed that the place doesn't open until April! Even though officially the site itself was closed and I was the only occupant I could not have wished for anything better. Clean, comfortable, quiet and very friendly without being intrusive. I won't say how much he charged but for 2 nights with electric it was less than a meal for one in a half decent restaurant. Any downsides. Not really, some of the pitches back onto the road, so could be a bit noisy with early morning tractors, but the road is hardly the M6. All in all an exceptional place. I'm looking forward to going again. Probably when its open. And thanks to first place for being closed and helping me find this gem of a site!

Just one word of warning, and this has nothing to do with the site, even though the place is less than 4 miles from the centre of York a cab charged me 12 at 2.30pm. Oddly, another cab only charged me 11.50 at half past midnight. Choose your cabs wisely.

Previous     25 Reviews in total, now showing 7 to 12      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win Duvulay Luxury Sleeping Bags worth 560!

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 17 to 20 Jan 2019, Event City
Huge choice of the latest model caravans, motorhomes and holiday homes on display from over 200 exhibitors ...more

2060 Visitors online !

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 369 each PLUS a Christmas Day Star Prize worth up to 780

Open Today's Window to reveal Today's Prize