Reviews of Moor End Farm

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > York > Moor End Farm Reviews

Moor End Farm
Acaster Malbis
York
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
YO23 2UQ

No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   No Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  32 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Terrythetalbot 1 review from this member

What a lovely quiet site, clean showers with lots of hot water, washer and dryer (if you need them) free hairdryer in the ladies.

Friendly helpful people too. We enjoyed our stay

Check bus times because we waited half an hour then decided to walk in and the next village

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Gyrotom 1 review from this member

I have just come back from Moor End Farm from the second one week stay there and agree with the good reviews I have seen here.

I am a caravan newbie and need to stay in the area for a flying instructor course.

The site is family run and very clean and tidy and feels very welcoming and Roger has been very patient and helpful advising me how to set up etc. The electric hook-ups were easy to use and in good condition. I left my steps when I went home the first time and Roger had kept them safe for me!

The toilet block and showers were very clean and bright and the water hot and easy to adjust to temp.

As has already been said the locals are all very friendly and the area is lovely and quiet yet with great access to York and the surrounding area.

All in all a really ideal site to act as base for the York area.

Although I did not have children with me I give it 10/10 for child friendliness because all the families with children I saw there seemed to be having a great time.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: ML60BAR 15 reviews from this member

This has been a wet winter for the Vale of York! We booked in here after a nearby site turned us away as the ground was too wet. When we arrived we had doubts as to whether our T5 would manage to reach the pitch offered, but Roger said 'give it a go'. In retrospect possibly not the best idea, and we duly got stuck. However he (with the help of his tractor) was more than helpful in getting us out of our predicament and found us a lovely alternative in the shelter of his hay barn, offering us pallets to put down to avoid the worst of the mud. Our own private decking! This was not a 'regular' pitch, but served our purposes more than adequately, we didn't want electric. A site with a combination of seasonal pitches and tourers, more than adequate facilities (two WCs one shower for ladies and gents, with a free hairdryer) plus a family shower room, washing up sink and washing machine/tumble dryer. Some swings for children to play on. A lovely feel to the site, no regimented rows which was why we rejected the other sites in the village. True, some pitches do back on to the road with very little protection, but not a busy road. All in all a lovely site if you go when it has dried up a bit, good walking/cycling around and an excellent pub in the village.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Joanne m 1 review from this member

Hi there we have just came back from this site and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The proprietors are such nice people. Roger is a very helpful chap. The toilet blocks and showers were very clean. Our caravan was pitched near to roadside of site. But the traffic was never a problem. Infact I wouldn't have it any other way because we spoke to lots and lots of villagers who were strolling by. Everyone had time to chat. This site is ideally situated for lovely river walks and into Bishopthorpe or a little drive for local tesco or other shopping outlets

We have already booked to go back and take family.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Northbankscunny 1 review from this member

A lovely little site and I will definitely be returning. We booked in to stay for 4 nights as the location suited exploring York. Don't be put off by other reviews that suggest small pitches, while we were there the owner was turning people away because he was full and there was plenty of room.

The owners are very friendly and even after a particularly heavy storm popped round to check we were alright.

The facilities are modest but with the size of the site it was never a problem, they were always clean. There is a communal fridge for people to use, which works due to the decency of the people on the site, though I will say that if you go and are struggling for space in the fridge check the due dates on some of the food/drink in there as some things must have been left behind by previous campers as they were very out of date.

You can catch a riverboat during the summer to York this picks up within walking distance of the site, but only operates on a Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

What we tended to do was drive to Askham Bar park and ride and take the bus into york, these buses are very frequent and cost 2. 50 per adult return (this also allows 2 children per adult for free) so I only paid 5. 00 for myself, wife and 3 children, as opposed to the 2. 00 an hour in the city car parks.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bennetts 1 review from this member

We have just returned from 6 nights at Moor End Farm and have had a great time. The site is really nice and seems to be kept fairly quiet by the owner, who was turning people away as often as taking them in. The ground we were on had a few holes in it but nothing serious.

The shower block is nice and has lovely warm showers, no push buttons to get the water, and they are free too! Would be lovely if there was more than one per gender. The family room has two showers in and we were lucky enough to be able to use this facility.

There is quite a nice pub a shortish walk through the village, food was reasonable and they were very accommodating. The ring road is easy to get to from the site so getting to the Park & Ride sites is easy.

We've had a great time and will go back.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Babydaisy 8 reviews from this member

Well, what a little gem! This is a quiet little site, unspoilt by commercialism. There are two small fields, one with some static caravans in it, but they are tucked along one side and don't detract from the camping feel. The larger field has camping along the road side, but there are not too many cars along this road, so don't be put off.

The toilet block is simple, with one shower in the boys and one in the girls, but Roger has put a disabled/family room with two showers inside (open plan). To be honest, there wasn't enough people there to warrant any more showers. There was loads of hot water- and no queues!

I had also lugged my hairdryer all the way there, to find one in the girls side- all free!

No shop on site, but Bishopthorpe has a Co-op, post office and chip shop there, only 1 mile down the road. The Ship Inn was within easy walking distance and does lovely food.

We caught the riverboat to York (catch it outside the Ship Inn), which was a great way to travel into the city as I understand the parking in York is expensive. (There are park and rides of course).

Also, a must, is the steam train from Pickering to Whitby. What a fab experience.

Moor End Farm has ducks that waddle around, and we also had the pleasure of seeing their ducklings. There are some pigs in the field next door, and if you park under any trees, the dawn chorus starts at about 4am. However, isn't this all part of camping??

I don't think this would suit older kids, who may get bored, but there are swings for younger ones.

All in- we would definitely go there again -talk about relaxing. Well done Roger!

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Fireballjan 1 review from this member

After reading the previous reviews for this site I decided that I must visit and see for myself. The site was lovely. Very clean and tidy. I am a complete novice at caravanning having only bought our 'van' that afternoon, I wasn't quite sure how the water should get from the bottle to the tap! luckily there were some very helpful caravanners who soon had me up and running ( pardon the pun!). My 6 year old soon made friends with other children on the site. The site is small but there is a mixture of statics, touring vans and tents, each having access to a picnic bench, there are even some site 'ducks' which the children loved feeding bread to. There are some swings which my son enjoyed with no complaints of there not being more equipment, he was very happy to make his own enjoyment and ride his bike around the site. The toilet and washing facilities were kept very clean and looked like they had been recently repainted, the shower was great, good water pressure, and nice and warm, but as there was only one I had to wait a little while for my turn. Our pitch backed onto the country lane but there was so little traffic it didn't bother us at all. I would definitely recommend this site.

Date of Visit: February 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Sidloz 3 reviews from this member

What can I say? I shall be brief but there is a story behind this. I was going to York to meet an old friend. If you have ever been to York you'll know how expensive it is, and B and B's are no exception so decided to take the van, even though it's only February! Due to a misunderstanding on the phone (I won't bore you with the details) but the open all year site I planned to stay at was closed. So at 4pm on a Friday afternoon I started driving round in circles looking for somewhere to stay. Not fun. The first 2 sites I tried were closed the next two were full. So I was pointed in the direction of Acaster. It's nearly dark and I saw some caravans parked in a field so pulled in. Knocked on the door of the farmhouse and the friendliest bloke in the world greeted me. I asked if I could pitch up for a couple of nights and he said yes. Great. I was not expecting what happened next. The other vans were empty and just being stored. In fact, I was the only person on the site. The owner, whose name I didn't get then cleaned the showers toilet and washing up area. Amazing. It was only about 10 minutes ago when I went on to write this review I noticed that the place doesn't open until April! Even though officially the site itself was closed and I was the only occupant I could not have wished for anything better. Clean, comfortable, quiet and very friendly without being intrusive. I won't say how much he charged but for 2 nights with electric it was less than a meal for one in a half decent restaurant. Any downsides. Not really, some of the pitches back onto the road, so could be a bit noisy with early morning tractors, but the road is hardly the M6. All in all an exceptional place. I'm looking forward to going again. Probably when its open. And thanks to first place for being closed and helping me find this gem of a site!

Just one word of warning, and this has nothing to do with the site, even though the place is less than 4 miles from the centre of York a cab charged me 12 at 2.30pm. Oddly, another cab only charged me 11.50 at half past midnight. Choose your cabs wisely.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Grahamterry1000 1 review from this member

This was our first ever time camping and we were recommended to this site by someone we met in the local camping shop. We weren't disappointed.

We wanted a quiet location to avoid being embarrassed in front of too many people while erecting our tent outside of our garden and that's what we got.

It was a nice site with good facilities; toilet / shower block with male / female facilities as well as a disabled / family room which had 2 showers in it (ideal for someone with small children), washing up room with fridge / freezer and microwave (free of charge and honestly shared!), washing machine (coin operated) and electric hook-ups (on certain pitches). Everything was clean and papertowels, soap etc topped up daily.

We walked from Acaster to Bishopsthorpe along the river and just outside Bishopsthorpe was another campsite right next to the river adjoining some moorings. This site looked packed and the tents and caravans were really close together verging on being crammed in. Not somewhere we would want to go!

We thought we had a good first time (the weather definitely helped there) and have booked to go back with the children in September although we would recommend taking something for them to play with as there were a couple of swings but that was all.

All in all a nice site with friendly owners.

Previous     32 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Moor End Farm child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Moor End Farm?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Moor End Farm dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near York      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

UKCS Meet Caravan and Motorhome Show Stratford 23/07 to 25/07
New and used motorhomes & campervans with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021