Visitor Reviews - The Wharf Inn

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Warwickshire > Fenny Compton > The Wharf Inn Reviews

The Wharf Inn
Wharf Road
Fenny Compton
Warwickshire   (Browse area)
CV47 2FE

Toilet Facilities   No Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Collis j 1 review from this member

I was walking the canal path, and popped into the wharf pub for som respite from the awful weather. I was doing a charity walk with my dog, and was camping en route. I had a meal, which was fine. Staff were friendly enough. It was during a chat with one member of staff that I discovered thwre was a campsite at the back of the pub. I was pleased to hear this, as I'd walked a long way, and needed a shower and rest, and the weather was truly awful.

I paid ten pound for a small tent for me and the dog, and went to find a pitch. It isn't a very nice camp site, which is a great pity. Though it was fine for a couple of nights, I wouldn't go again, or recommend it.

Down one end there are a load of caravans, not all in good condition. It does look a bit like a scrap yard. The part closest to the pub has a huge bonfire pile of cardboard boxes. One wonders why these aren't recycled.

There is a patch of green for tents. There are no washing up facilities, no water taps, and only one shower. This shower is rather inappropriately situated in the disabled loo in the pub! Not good for disabled folks. It wasn't clean, and I emptied the bin. I was forced to wash my dishes in the toilets. Not good.

There is a launderette. Tokens have to be bought in the pub. It costs 9. 00 to wash and dry clothes. There are coffee, and snack machines in the launderette. These don't work, and the chocolate bars are old and mouldy. There was no problem getting money back however. There is also a small shop, but it sells very little of use.

I'm afraid the campsite is a mess and I definitely would not recommend to families. It could be lovely, as it's in a prime spot. I was told by a member of staff that they do glamping. Sticking up a tipi and throwing in an air bed is not my idea of glamping. I wonder what they'd charge?

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Wd60 4 reviews from this member

This place is an absolute disgrace, and bloody expensive. We arrived around 5pm in darkness, on a cold December evening, which fell below zero overnight. We were charged 25 with electric - 25 bloody quid - it's not worth 25 pence. The electric hook up failed around 11pm, and it was then that I discovered it had not been tested since February 2015. There was no Earth present as shown by my circuit tester.

In the daylight, we could see that the site is full of rubbish (I have photographs to prove this), the shower is in the Disabled toilet (??). There is a chemical disposal point hidden amongst the old washing machines and abandoned vehicles and backhoe diggers.

The garden looks like it was abandoned a couple of years ago, and there was a pile of rubbish in a circle, which would have been okay if it was nearly time for Bonfire Night, but it was early December.

I was too annoyed to even consider going into the pub to ask for my money back because I would have likely lost my temper, the place was so absolutely dreadful. I stayed on something similar in Norway back in September, and it seems like the most dreadful places charge the most.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Ann P 3 reviews from this member

Such a shame as the pub itself was ok - a little tired looking but the staff were really friendly plus it's right on the Canal - a lovely spot and quite busy for meals but not recommended for campers.

The web site said 10 per night plus 5 for electric hook up. When I phoned to book was told that was the winter rates and was 15 a night plus 5 for the hook up, top rates for a small pub campsite so we were expecting some really good amenities.

It felt like we were in a breakers yard over grown and unkempt, no washing up facilities. Access to the pub loos and shower were a bit of a trek over a grassed area (thank goodness it was dry)

If they were charging a fiver no one could complain but 20 is having a serious laugh.

The whole place felt un-cared for and could be a little gold mine if up graded to reflect the price, the two other couples who'd come as it was a middle meeting point were just as disappointed and won't be coming back. I wanted to check it out as a possible venue for a large family get together and 60th birthday party, thank goodness I did no way will we return. It really is a pity

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Jude5678 2 reviews from this member

This site is quirky and situated on a busy main road which gives good access to Leamington, Warwick and Banbury. If you like the normal electric hook up slot in neat rows this site is not for you. It is run by the pub. It has a front grass area with four available hook ups and water tap and a rear area through a gate which has rows of caravans packed in tightly length wise. The majority were unused so guessing more storaged than camping. There were 3/4 availabe electric hook ups.

There is no chemical waste but you could use the toilets that are in the pub. There are two ladies toilets and gents toilet. The disabled toilet has a shower. There were 7 units and I didn't have to wait for toilet or shower. The shower was lovely and hot.

The pub food was fab and reasonably priced and served from breakfast onwards. You can sit in pub garden and watch narrowboats come and go. Lovely walks along the canal path.

I would go again but I am a quirky person and didn't mind the uniqueness of this site.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Bruisedknee 2 reviews from this member

My son and I stayed for one night on a trial run of our new VW camper. It does what it says on the box. The site was clean and the spot we managed to get under the willow tree and next to the pot bellied pigs was great. However, we had the best pitch by far and the others were a little crowded. The pub was great to. Nice ales and great BBQ ribs. We really enjoyed ourselves but I wouldn't stay for any longer than one night at a time. The road was busy but far enough away not to be a major issue. I did think it was a little overpriced but not enough to stop me going back again.

Reviewer: Ninjaracer 2 reviews from this member

Not quite sure how to explain this. If this was in the middle of wales it would be a hidden gem but it just felt odd being behind a pub and next to a very busy main road, it felt like a car park really. That said I had a wonderful time, canal runs close by with a man that puts fresh veg out every day, launderette and warm clean toilets, food starts early at 10am. Really enjoyed myself but very small and somewhere to crash more than take the family, more for the younger people, I would say stop there though if you don't need too much going on.

Reviewer: Jenny L 5 reviews from this member

Stayed here in July along with 3 other familys and had a great time. It is a small site which was perfect for us as we could see the children at all times. The camping field is located right next to the pub beer garden which was nice and also had a sandpit set into the decking with a selection of toys for children to play with. Toilets were fine and never much of a wait for one, the shower is located in the disabled toilet and the morning I went to use it just before the cleaners came it was really grotty and smelly, I didn't go back after the cleaner had been in so cant comment on how it looked after cleaning. Didn't notice any problem with noise from the road and once the pub had shut the site was very quiet. There were pigs next to the camping field which the kids loved and fed every morning. Think this was a great little site and will definitely be returning, an absolute bargain at 10 a night without electric, would have given 10/10 if the shower room hadn't been so bad.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mark Palmer 9 reviews from this member

A nice site located next to the canal.

The facilities are very basic with no dishwashing and no waste disposal, although the landlady did offer us the use of the restaurants dishwasher (for our pots and pans I might note!)

The only shower is the disabled toilet wet room, which, if there are more that 2 tents or caravans there, can cause a bit of a wait.

They have a fully stocked shop selling all sorts of local produce and sundries, although the shop space could be better used as shower facilities.

The bar/restaurant is dog friendly and looks like it has recently been refurbished. The pub serves up reasonably priced dishes that you will want to loosen your belt for! The portions were huge, which was a nice surprise!

The only downside to the location, is that it is within a stones throw of an extremely busy road that has a fair amount of large goods vehicles using it. If you are a light sleeper, you will need to pack ear plugs

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Mikeykaney 8 reviews from this member

Came here for Jubilee bank holiday weekend, on arrival we were shown to pitch by landlord who was extremely helpful and pleasant. Location is in grounds of pub, beside the canal and very close to a busy main road.

The site became very busy during the course of the weekend and we had to leave cars in pub car park to make room in the already crowded site.

The pub serves excellent food, ales and has good entertainment.

The site however shares the facilities of the pub, there is 1 shower for the whole site which is totally in adequate. Worse still there is no waste water disposal, we left ours draining on the grass. What spoilt this for me though is the lack of an elsan disposal, what are they thinking of when you have to walk 1/2 mile down the canal to the marina and pay 2? We were told we could use the toilets to empty waste!

For the price which was the going rate for mid class site is was over priced.

Get a toilet block and waste facilities and this would be a goldmine

Date of Visit: March 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Kateq 1 review from this member

Great stop over with shop and launderette and gas loved the entertainment on the monthly Burlesque night the acts ranged from very clever to very funny and there are bands on most Friday evenings apparently (if want to check on bands suggest you phone as they range from tribute to heavy from reading the posters in the pub)

I am trying to write this review for everyone so If your worried about noise when I went to Motorhome during Burlesque noise was very low from the marquee so you would hear even less from the small inside stage I assume.

Great staff and mix of locals landlords very helpful had a laugh with them very nice atmosphere. Used the shower whist there also washed and dried bed linen ask at bar for machine tokens.

This is a public house with huge car park and grass area and hook up IF required they were putting in more hook up points whilst we were there but even if you don't call ahead the car park is big and there is a slip road in front of the pub. Walking along the canal at side of pub is very pleasant and can recommend the roast dinner it is large with loads of veggies. We will def go again.

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Warwickshire

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over 205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire