Reviews of Aysgarth Falls Hotel

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Leyburn > Aysgarth Falls Hotel Reviews

Aysgarth Falls Hotel
Aysgarth
Leyburn
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
DL8 3SR
Tel: 01969 663775

Open: 01/04/2021 to 31/10/2021

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   No Glamping Units
 Adults Only   Not Members Only   No Rallies   Not Naturist Site
 Shop <5 miles   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <1 mile   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: September 2020 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Datman229 4 reviews from this member

Paid for 3 nights on the strength of reviews, only stayed 2. Sadly didn't live up to expectations. Given worst plot on site (1) entrance churned up badly and a small car would easily get stuck, churned mud was nearly up to our tent, hardly enough room to fit tent on plot.

Although facilities were fine (though only one shower in use). The site itself has a public path running through, as walkers/dog walkers continually walk through and were inches from our tent. Some stopped right in front of our tent to try see falls (how rude). Counted 73 walking past in less than an hour. This was not a quiet site. Unfortunately we will not return.

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Samcc6 1 review from this member

Absolutely amazing location, just minutes away from Aysgarth Falls.

Campsite was great, hotel was fantastic for food and drinks.

Staff were wonderful and helpful. Heather was very friendly and helpful when enquiring to make a booking.

Would definitely highly recommend. 10 out of 10.

Will definitely return. Sam Cunningham from Doncaster

Date of Visit: October 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Tricia 1 review from this member

Clean site situated behind the Aysgarth Falls Hotel, excellent location to Aysgarth Falls.

Clean toilets and showers.

Easy check in and warm friendly welcome from the staff,

Lovely bar selling a wide variety of drinks

Date of Visit: September 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Paulmold 67 reviews from this member

Pleasant site, great location to see the falls.

I found no problems with the loos and showers in the sheds, quite cute really.

Adjacent hotel is rather expensive and a bit fancy menu for my liking.

Date of Visit: August 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Young couple
Reviewer: Esther 1 review from this member

Lovely campsite within short walking distance of Aysgarth Falls. The best part about this site is that you fall asleep to the sound of the waterfalls, and as it is an adult only site with no noise after 11pm, you're not kept awake by the sounds of other guests.

The site is quite small, and has 2 toilets and 2 showers, although you can use the pub's toilets during the day time. The view from the sinks to wash up is fabulous, but this facility could be improved with an additional drying rack.

Staff in the pub are very friendly and helpful. Please note that the pub gets fully booked for food, so if you are planning to eat there, it's vital to book in advance!

We had to change our book last minute due to unforeseen circumstances and Helen was particularly helpful and understanding - thank you!

Will definitely visit again and recommend to family and friends in the future.

Date of Visit: June 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Selax 6 reviews from this member

This site has been refurbished in the last few months - in fact, some minor work is still going on. It is no longer a Caravan & Motorhome Club CL so open to all.

There are 10 generous pitches for motorhomes/caravans, all hardstanding, all with EHU. There is plenty of flat grassed area for tents (I presume it takes tents, none there when we stayed. )

Facilities are basic but very clean. The hotel is friendly, does food (but didn't try it), good beer. Owners (the Hotel) helpful. Easy walks to Falls or to the village (half a mile, shop, occasional buses). £20 including electricity.

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: HannahsMenagerie 17 reviews from this member

When I booked in at the bar I was shown a map of the site and shown which pitches I couldn't use (the ones with EHU, I didn't need it) but otherwise I had free choice of where to pitch. I chose a quiet little corner where I could hear the falls but in the shelter of a wall and some trees as the breeze had picked up a little. The site has plenty of flat area but also it's fair share of slope and hillocks, but this is the Yorkshire Dales which is famous for its rolling hills.

Pitched up and got organised before the dog and I set out for a walk. When we got back I was disappointed to see that the next arrival on site had, when given the choice of a practically empty field, selected to pitch right next door to us.

The facilities are fun being situated in individual garden sheds at the back of the pub. There are two toilets and a shower, this was perfectly adequate for the few people who were staying but when the site is full you may have to wait. Take care though, there is no lighting on site so do remember to take a torch or two.

There is a footpath that runs straight through the middle of the site which means there is lots of passing people during the day but it also means that you don't have to go far to find a walk.

The falls are close by, the walk down to them takes a lot less time than the walk, or should that be slow plod, back up the hill to the site but it does help work up an appetite for dinner. I can recommend eating at the Hotel but do book or you may have a long wait!

Also close by is the parish church which has clock and bells. To me this wasn't an issue as I can hear the local church clock and bells at home so slept through the clock chiming the quarters and hours. I was also thrilled that as I started to pack up the tent ready to go home the bells were rung up and I took a leisurely hour to pack up in the sunshine while listening to the bells ringing.

A lovely little site within easy reach of the A1 and miles and miles of fabulous walking. The dog and I will be back before too long.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Careni 1 review from this member

Best of both worlds!

My daughter and I tested out my new tent here this week. It is a lovely (adult only) small site, at the back of hotel/pub. Tents in lower field only, we were able to select own site, facilities are clean and effective. You can also use facilities in pub when it is open.

Views depend on location of tent, but there are hills all around. We fell asleep to the sound of Aysgarth falls which we found soothing. The nearby church clock chimes were not intrusive!

We ate in hotel restaurant for an evening meal;the food was wonderful - hence title of review - best of both worlds. Camping in countryside and fine dining.

We will definitely return here. Due to weather did not manage to explore a lot of lovely area. Highly recommend.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Alicemaylara 7 reviews from this member

They say location is everything but I chose this campsite purely for one reason, it is child free! An adult only campsite, and they accept dogs. After a quick google search there are hardly any in Yorkshire or the Lakes so you can’t really be choosy with location. But actually this campsite turned out to be a great base, as well as THE place to go on a busy bank holiday.

Location

As the name suggests the campsite is adjacent to Aysgarth Falls, behind the pub of the same name. It is situated on the main road between Leyburn and Hawes so you might think there would be some traffic noise but the field is behind the pub, in a small dip, and with the gentle whirling of the Falls its a very peaceful.

Greeting

The campsite is owned by the pub. I had prebooked because it was a bank holiday but you can just turn up. The ‘welcome’ sign if you want to call it that tells you rather abruptly that you must check in before going in – fair enough. The staff were pleasant and showed me the facilities. The only thing I didn’t like was that I wasn’t allowed to choose my own spot. I always like to select my place, it can mean the difference between a great stay and a lacklustre one. But actually he selected a great place, right in the corner, nice and flat, and out of the way.

Pitch

The field is well kept, mowed and not muddy. There isn’t a lot of flat ground but enough for about 20 tents. The immediate views aren’t visible because of the woodland but if you walk to the top of the small hill you can see the fields and hills beyond.

Noises

The falls are constant. I really like listening to the water before I go to bed. Sometimes deadly silence is too much for me! The birds and sheep were out and about providing a nice background noise throughout the day. As I mentioned you can’t hear the road. I heard and owl in the night by the tree I was sleeping next to.

Price

£7, a very reasonable price, I would happily pay £10.

There are three toilets in separate cubicles (like little sheds) and they were very clean all the times I went. There is a shower…but when I had one on the Saturday it was freezing! After about 2 minutes some warm water came out but it didn’t really come to much so that was disappointing. There are some washing up sinks and plenty of bins. The pub provides the perfect place to eat – lunch and dinner is served most days. There is a good shop and petrol station 10 minutes walk through a field. This is open 7 days, 7am-7pm. This was ideal for me – every night after my walk I passed by to get food and drink for the night. Hawes is 8 miles and has more shops (but actually in terms of amenities the petrol station is more than enough), and Leyburn is 7 miles – better selection of essential shops than Hawes…. But don’t expect a Tesco or Asda.

Comments

On the last evening, I took Rooh out for her last walk before bed. The sun was setting, there were a few birds still singing while a quiet lull of people enjoying themselves rang out. If time had stopped then I would have been happy. I didn’t want to leave this campsite or the free from I feel from camping.

The fact it is child free is enough for me, but it offers much more too. A place to return so I can explore more of Swaledale, only 15 minutes drive. The wildflower meadows and old stone barns were beautiful and reminded me of my childhood. The site is small so I can’t imagine it would ever be noisy and their website confirms this, ‘if you can hear next doors radio it’s too loud! ‘. A great statement to leave

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Carol Curlz 1 review from this member

What a great site! Friendly staff, great facilities, clean and tidy and fantastic value for money. We had booked to stay on an alternative site and on seeing their facilities, we decided not to stay.

We were heading for home and called in on the off chance that there was a pitch available. Luckily there was so we were able to stay. The price was SO reasonable. Just £24 for two people for two nights. The site we originally booked was over twice this (£54) and the facilities were not a patch on Aysgarth.

We will be back! Thank you to Heather and the team.

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Aysgarth Falls Hotel child friendly?  NO, this site is adult only  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Aysgarth Falls Hotel?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Aysgarth Falls Hotel dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Leyburn      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan and Motorhome VIRTUAL Show 03/02 to 06/02
Browse the latest models, research purchases and watch expert webinars, all from the comfort of your sofa ...more