Reviews of Rushbanks Farm Caravan And Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > East Anglia > Suffolk > Colchester > Rushbanks Farm Caravan And Camping Site Reviews

Rushbanks Farm Caravan And Camping Site
Wissington
Nayland
Colchester
Suffolk   (Browse area)
CO6 4NA

Pitches: 3 acres (including riverside)
Open: 30 April To 20 September

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming On Site   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <5 miles   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 Riverside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  21 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: August 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Joancl196175wnv 1 review from this member

This is a very well maintained campsite with a fishing lake. The area around the fishing lake is quite beautiful (we are not fishing people but it was lovely to see).

The staff are helpful and friendly. We had a problem with our electric hook up and Andy came to help, sorted the problem and even lent us an electric cable.

The shop is small but adequate with set opening hours. The shower block was closed (COVID) but the Elsan point was the cleanest I have ever seen.

It is quiet and the nearest town is 3 miles away but there is a bus service. Lovely visit.

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Higgygv 1 review from this member

Beautiful location. We rowed our new inflatable canoe up and down the river. It was alive with damselflies and thick with bullrushes and wild watercress.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The toilets were clean. The showers were a bit of a surprise, being housed in plastic cubicles, the sort normally used for toilets. They looked a bit weary, but were very hot and did what they were intended to do.

The walk through the woods was by badger sets and fields full of wheat and potatoes. Long trousers or a stick advised for the nettles.

We would definitely visit again.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Eborian 1 review from this member

Wonderful location. I stayed 3 nights and wish I could have stayed longer. I had a riverside pitch and it was great waking up to the ducks and swans just outside my tent each morning.

The facilities were exactly what I needed. There were very clean showers, toilets, washroom and washing up area. It's off-grid and so no mains electric or wifi, but that was a plus to me.

I was there on a quietish weekend between the two bank holidays. The other guests were quiet and considerate and the owners were helpful.

The location was within easy reach of Colchester and other places I wanted to visit. I didn't really have time to hire a canoe, but would definitely do so on a return visit.

Stay here if you get the chance - it's great!

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Keronite 2 reviews from this member

Visited 1st August weekend. Site full to the gunnels. Tents on top of each other.

Really noisy with crying kids at 6am.

Bugger all facilities - need to queue for 15 minutes to wash dishes. Nice place if fewer people - but overcrowded for this school holiday weekend.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Caligula 4 reviews from this member

A lot has been said about this site, and it is exquisitely beautiful riverside. That is it's USP.

It is not set up to be an all resources/facilities type of site, and thank goodness say I.

It does have effective hot showers, alas too small for me to change inside, and there is no lighting in them or the loos or washrooms. That in itself is no problem really, but I would prefer to be able to change in a shower cubicle if someone was around. But, when I was there, there was only one other tent, absolutely serene. The birdsong for the dawn chorus was stunning, as was the pike lying by my canoe in the morning.

At weekends, it is very busy, I went and had a look on the motorbike one w/e prior to staying there; so I would suggest if you want quiet, choose weekdays and term time.

The site operates on a pick your spot if free principle, and doesn't regulate with specific size pitches, which is great and relies on good will and common sense and courtesy, when busy. When quiet, it's all yours.

At the risk of seeming curmudgeonly, I did feel it was a little expensive at £22 night. I can take a 29 foot boat into a marina for less. BUT. It is very beautiful, the site was very clean and litter free, and the river inviting for a swim.

Just perfect for a quiet canoe/camp trip on the Stour.

My scoring reflects my personal priorities.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: RDuffey 4 reviews from this member

We went to Rushbanks Farm as three adults and two children. We arrived on the Friday afternoon and as it was already busy we pitched our tent in the second field. As it turns out this was actually preferable for us. It gave us peace of mind over the children/river and also meant it was slightly quieter in the evening. I say slightly, because Friday night was very noisy, with music and singing from one group of campers going on until very late at night and certainly past 11pm.

Facilities were basic but sufficient. Toilets were clean and there was always plenty of toilet paper. There was only cold water for washing up and the showers were in plastic portaloo type cubicles There was no temperature control and the water ran hot and cold, but the pressure was good.

I thought it a little pricey for what was there. Our pitch was unserviced and we only had one tent, but with three adults there we paid £26 per night. That said we all had a great time here, and I'd say it's highly likely we'll be back.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: MummaP 6 reviews from this member

We arrived midweek & the site was blissfully quiet (probably due to the continual wet weather). We like sites that don't have marked out pitches and let you choose where to pitch, so we were happy. The whole place had a very relaxed atmosphere. Camping by the river was lovely.

Yes, the site does get pretty muddy in places despite sterling efforts by the owners. It's not Glasto, but don't expect to pad round in your sneakers!

The site is very well maintained yet retains a 'natural' look. The toilet block was the best kept one we have encountered. There are basins and mirrors, a shelf for your washbag & hooks for your clothes plus plenty of loo roll and soap in each cubicle! As there is no electric there's no freezer for icepacks, but the block is lit at night by solar powered fairy lights.

It's good to be able to take rowboats or canoes out at weekends. There are nice walks nearby too; the local church is well worth a visit if you're interested. It's a good site for dogs too - oh & how many other sites provide dog bags as well as dog bins?

The people running the site are very friendly & helpful but never intrusive. They work very hard to make this a nice place to stay.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Nesty 4 reviews from this member

I stayed at this campsite as the camping & caravan site I initially was going to stay at was partially closed because of flooding. Instead of cancelling my Dedham vale trip I decided upon this one after reading the reviews.

The setting is great. Right next to the river stour & right in the vale. There are country walks directly from the site, which I did use. The site is 2 miles from nayland, so unless you want to drive for groceries you have to bear that in mind.

The facilities are OK. Showers are portacabins & the hot water worked OK.

The toilet block does not have mains electricity. So no hot water there or mains lighting. Washing up facility is cold water only. At night fairy lights come on. Inside the toilet block lighting just about adequate. Though washing up at night found that difficult to see what I was doing.

I saw 2 sides of how busy the site was. The first 2 nights (mid-week) I had the entire site to myself it was like a private garden! Then at weekend families started arriving & started to get busy. The site was about 1/3 full. I would not like to be on this when it's totally rammed. I could see the facilities struggling.

Personally, I do like to get away from it all type thing. It can be a site to get away from it, but you would certainly have to choose your times of the year.

For kids there is a play area & the river is big draw for families & for canoe people.

Itís the only site I know which allows camp fires. You hire the fire holding pot (cut oil drum can) from the warden. Though I didnít utilise this facility.

Cost wise for a solo camper non electric itís on the upper regions costwise what I normally pay. Then again you are getting a great setting.

I would recommend. This site offers for what your circumstances & travel motives are. However, you would have to time your trip accordingly for your own purposes for either getting away from it or a family holiday!

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Smartecosse 14 reviews from this member

We arrived on a Monday and it was one of the most idyllic riverside campsites we've ever stayed at.

Truly wonderfully peaceful with the river right next to you and swans swimming by. The river was perfect for the kids to play in and for us to canoe on.

Toilet blocks not that great but were adequate and the showers are the portaloo types ones so like showering in a plastic phone booth but better than none at all.

However, come Friday afternoon it filled up, with little or no space being left. We had people pitching between us and the campers next to us and they were so close to us that the edge of their tent was actually underneath the bed part on our folding camper!

They said they wanted to be next to the river as well so would pitch where they wanted!

Previously during the week we'd spoken to a few other guests who had said they had been going for years but no longer went at the weekends due to noise and drunkenness of large numbers of people.

We thought they were exaggerating but it was awful - worst campsite we'd ever stayed at. Like camping at Glastonbury, no space and drunken noise and music until the early hours with the on site warden doing absolutely nothing at all about it.

It was so bad even though we had booked and paid for the week until Monday we actually left on the Saturday.

We would go back. But only Monday to Thursday, never again at a weekend.

Toilets completely inadequate for the number of campers they allow, especially the ladies where the wash basins are actually in with the toilet which means if someone is brushing their teeth etc one toilet cannot be used.

Spoke to both the owners son who now manages it and the site 'warden' about what the maximum number of pitches were (separate conversations) and was told by both that they just open an extra field when one is full.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: 74giggles 2 reviews from this member

Set in beautiful surrounds, Rusbanks Farm is a fairly basic site with no electric, a clean toilet block (worth bringing your torch with you if you need a wee after dark) and new this year are showers. There was a washing up area, which we didn't use. You can purchase farm eggs at the warden caravan, but that's all.

You arrive and find your own spot, with wardens coming round during the evening to welcome you and collect your money. Fire pits and fire wood are available and cost £4 for the fire pit hire and bags of logs with kindling & firelighters costing £12. Marshmallows were also available. The wardens were friendly and helpful. If you are lucky, you can camp near the river. There are 2 other smallish fields with unmarked pitches.

We stayed over the late bank holiday and it was fairly busy. They had provided extra porta-loos but sadly these were closed by mid Sunday due to being full. Not sure if these porta-loos were a permanet feature. The main toilet block was kept clean and stocked with toilet roll, soap and paper towels. The new showers are in plastic porta-loo style cubicles and the water was hot. Also new this year are some swings for children.

Would we return? Yes, but not on a bank holiday.

Previous     21 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Rushbanks Farm Caravan And Camping Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Rushbanks Farm Caravan And Camping Site?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Rushbanks Farm Caravan And Camping Site dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Colchester      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Suffolk

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park Kent 19/09 to 20/09