Reviews of Scotts Farm Camping Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > West Sussex > Chichester > Scotts Farm Camping Site Reviews

Scotts Farm Camping Site
Cakeham Rd
West Wittering
Chichester
West Sussex   (Browse area)
PO20 8ED

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming <1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <10 miles   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  153 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Group
Reviewer: Leameg135897hfv 1 review from this member

Very enjoyable weekend. Lovely site with good facilities and not overcrowded. Suitable for all ages.

Would definitely recommend it and will go back again.

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Family with older children
Reviewer: Lizzie158707ylq 1 review from this member

Loved it. Peaceful and great distance to the beach.

We were in overflow field E which was quiet but a bit of a walk to the facilities.

Dog was happy too

Date of Visit: August 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Young couple
Reviewer: Jberma23934ax 1 review from this member

Great well located site. Found at the last minute via google.

We founds it peaceful and everyone was friendly,

We are not big campers but might be now

We will be back.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: T5 tourist 6 reviews from this member

This was our second one night stay here. Both times have been on a Saturday off peak, ie not school holidays. It is a large site set over four or five fields.

Well maintained and good facilities, not that we use the facilities much, a are self contained. We like the site because of its close proximity to the beach and east wittering village, which has plenty of coffee stops and restaurants.

The beach is a short walk, 5 to 10 mins max. Great beach for surfing and kitesurfing. Lovely beach walks, some restrictions for dogs.

The site has a large dog walking field. I would imagine that on warmer weekends or school hols it could be quite manic on site.

Date of Visit: March 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Dayzone 2 reviews from this member

This is a large site with not a lot of character. The reception staff were very friendly. You cannot book a pitch and on arrival you are told to find your own.

We went in March and it had been raining quite a lot, consequently a lot of the pitches were waterlogged. They did say they would tow you out if you got stuck which they duly did you someone else.

The most annoying thing however was that the shower blocks had no heating. As it was very cold at this time it rendered the showers unusable. Very disappointing.

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Steve_UK 3 reviews from this member

I stayed at this site for one night in my motorhome and, as it was just into school term-time, it was very quiet. A few days previously, storm Aileen had battered the area with very high winds, and a few of the caravans which were on seasonal pitches had awnings torn away.

The welcome at reception was very friendly, with lots of local information and maps being heaped upon me. They do not assign you a pitch, so I drove around the site and picked one of the many vacant ones. This wasn't an issue for me as it was very quiet, but I would prefer an allocated pitch, especially in a busier period.

This is one of the few ACSI sites in the UK, and so I was able to have my pitch, with electricity included) for 15 which was a saving of about 5 I believe.

Although I didn't use the facilities (relying on my on-board bathroom), the whole place was very well kept and I would imagine the same applied to the showers etc. I was impressed to see the dog-shower and, something I'd never seen before on a site, an air-bed inflation point!

The site is only a few minutes walk from the beach, although with the tail-end of Aileen still buffeting quite strongly, I soon turned back to the sanctuary of the motorhome! You do have to cross the road outside the site entrance though, so youngsters really should be accompanied.

I would certainly not hesitate to recommend this site out of peak season, but have not experienced it when busy. I could imagine there would be a lot of families as the site is quite geared up for that market, so if the sound of kids having fun is not to your taste perhaps I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

I noticed a neat row of sturdy hand-pulled trolleys which are available to cart your things to the beach if required, although I do not know whether they are free, or if there's a deposit to pay. There is free wi-fi which seems to have good coverage over the site, and although it was fast enough for my use, I didn't try streaming video or anything. Of course, in high season there could well be a high demand and that's when you tend to find service such as this starts to struggle.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Tonystar73 1 review from this member

Peaceful little site. This is just a simple family run business, not a big chain. This gives it a certain charm and the staff are certainly a lot friendlier than your average corporate campsite. They keep the site clean and tidy, and they are always coming up with new ideas to keep things nice. Beach trolleys and free wifi are very nice additions, and it is well located. I have been coming for 15 years first as a child, now with my family. Doug and the lads always run a top site, never had an issue.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Grumpy old Camper 1 review from this member

I really enjoyed staying here. I took the whole family (2 adults, 4 children), and it only cost 52 for the whole weekend. The really nice thing about this campsite that puts it above the others is that you can enjoy your whole last day. Checkout is not asked until 5pm.

The staff are lovely on check in, but the only downside is that the shop is a bit understocked and over priced, but you pay for convenience I suppose. Also, the village is very close so with several shops so not really an issue.

Clean and tidy. Over all a top stay and would highly recommend.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Kiwi1Adventures 13 reviews from this member

I'm really surprised how few reviews there are of this site. It is one of the best and worst sites in the area. Scotts Farm is to camping as Marmite is to taste. You will either love it or hate it. Some people have left reviews saying how great the check in and check out times are. The times are in the price.

For those who say it is expensive, look at the check in and check out times. You practically get two days for the price of one. For those who say they don't take bookings, that is fantastic. I've gone there once or twice every year for six years and have only ever seen it booked out once on a bank holiday weekend when the forecast was sunshine and surf. (0/10 for accuracy there by the way) Other sites I've blown 80 odd pounds because they do take bookings but don't give your money back if you can't make it.

Scotts is and isn't laid back. They won't allow gazebos but say nothing about kites, footballs and feral children running amok. If you manage a weekend without a football smashing off a wing mirror or kite denting your unit you will love the place you will be able to chill out and relax. Conversely if you are shall we say in the wrong field you could have neighbours that run their car for hours at a time to keep an inverter powering their fridge whilst their kids played football in front of your setup instead of their own. You take your chances.

The wardens who spend an awful lot of time on site could probably do a little more to draw attention to inconsiderate behaviour to the enjoyment of fellow campers.

Price wise a camper van with an awning is 25 and a camper van with a pop up tent but no awning is 50 as you are charged per unit, so if you tow a caravan with a camper van you will also be charged 50. (Please note that Scotts are VERY UP FRONT about this. You pay per unit not per pitch and I've been stung twice although the second time I checked before travelling and was my decision although I probably could have parked up the road after dropping off the caravan to avoid the cost. Hindsight, everyone's best friend. )

This is a high volume campsite and rarely is everything picture perfect. You could call it the Glastonbury of campsites, however if you time it right you will get a clean shower, toilet block or kitchen. The staff are really helpful and will happily assist in any way they can. The drive down to Scotts is much better than most sites. Not too many narrow roads and as you can check in early you can miss the traffic, and traffic there will be if the sun is out and surf is up.

There are lots of shops within walking distance. Don't recall seeing a gas station that's easy to get in and out of so don't arrive running on fumes or it may be you turning the main road into a parking lot not the sun, surf and stones. Well sand if you head to West Wittering or paddle about at low tide.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Feister 2 reviews from this member

We took our first steps into camping/motorhoming at Scott's farm and whilst we enjoyed our stay, it definitely had a lot of areas for improvement.

It's a very large site and easy to navigate with a large motorhome like ours, but as others have said it has virtually no character, being more of a bulk family camping site. Unfortunately you can't book a pitch here making leaving for day trips something of a gamble, I noticed a lot of people placing their chairs and hookup in such a way to discourage 'pitch-jacking', but surely allocated pitches is a better way to go?

The bathroom facilities were very functional, clean but mean. Showers were operated by sensors on the wall that gave you 10 seconds or so before needing to be waved at again, which was just painful. The stalls we used only had one hook and no seating in them making clothing and towel management difficult, again just mean.

There wasn't a motorhome service station on the site (that we could find) and the drinking water taps that did work (quite a few were out of service) had sprung push valves half a meter above the top of most water carrying container. This meant the only way you could fill up was to either bring something to place your container on or buy another bit of tube because the tap was non standard. Most people I saw there would simply place their container roughly below the tap and press on the valve whilst the vast majority of water went down the drain.

The children's play area was this campsites saving grace and without it or the beaches we wouldn't have stayed. It was very well maintained and up to date and lots of fun for kids of all ages.

The campsite is closer to East Wittering beach at 10 minutes walk which is mainly cobbles and then sand at low tide. West wittering beach which is a lot more sandy and a lot more popular because of it, is a good walk away and I don't recommend trying to walk to there with a pram it's painful with the cobbles. We left the campsite early in our motorhome to go to the beach at West Wittering which was a lovely day, parking is about 6. 50 for the day.

East Wittering is nice enough with a good parade of shops and a couple of pubs. There's a couple of little convenience supermarkets and a fish and chip shop that's closed on a Sunday.

All in all, we left this campsite to go to one that had more character and didn't feel quite as mean especially considering the prices for the time of year.

Previous     153 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Scotts Farm Camping Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Scotts Farm Camping Site?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Scotts Farm Camping Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Chichester      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in West Sussex

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more