Reviews of Bucklegrove Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Somerset > Cheddar > Bucklegrove Holiday Park Reviews

Bucklegrove Holiday Park

Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  116 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Kevt1960 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this site.

It's a well situated campsite on the A371 between Cheddar and Wells. Easy access from the M5.

We stayed in the top field and found it to be quite neglected compared to the lower field. I thought that the pitches were quite small, even for my Vango Icarus 500 without an extension. I had a feeling of being packed in.

The toilet/shower facilities could had been more modern in the top field. Even a coat of paint would have made them seem pleasant. They were cleaned regular but didn't look very clean.

I never visited the on site pub or shop except to ask for some directions. The staff were knowledgeable about the local area and the pub did look nice with a seating area outside.

The main road is very dangerous if you like to go walking, no pathways and bends in the road, where oncoming vehicles do not see you until the last minute.

Overall I did have a pleasant stay, but 3 nights is more than enough. I would prefer better facilities for a longer camping trip.

Date of Visit: March 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: MistyMoon 6 reviews from this member

Visited this site with friends and their kids. Facilities for the kids were pretty good, but for myself I didn't need ANY of these. Didn't use the site Toilets or Showers so I can't comment. It's a good location for exploring the area being close to the main road but then there is some road noise.

The pitches are very close together and packed in really tight - some pitches (including mine) really do not have adequate space for an awning and then you are pretty much touching the next unit. Also difficult to park your car near some pitches as there is just no room.

Overall a good site if you have kids but if you don't and you want something quiet and picturesque then this is not the one for you. I will not be back.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Parky15 9 reviews from this member

Booked for four nights during Easter half term. All the caravan fully serviced pitches were gone, but I contacted them and was advised I could take our folding camper onto the tent/trailer tent fully serviced pitches.

On arrival they were very friendly and efficient and gave a clear map on how to find out pitch. The pitch was good, pretty level and had a gravel hard standing for the car. It had fences around 2 sides so assume these are not suitable for caravans at it would be tricky to manoeuvre onto them. The only downside with the pitch is we were opposite three empty season pitch caravans and then a large hedge to the rest of the campsite. It meant it was very quiet but we felt a bit cut off from the other campers - at half term it would have been nicer to have been nearer other children, but I should have asked when I booked.

Pool was a big hit, even though it was small, it was good enough and very warm. Playground was limited but bar was good. Didn't use wifi as three and EE had good coverage in the Grove field

I think the only downsides for me were (a) Toilet block in the grove was freezing (late October but no heating and Windows left open) and it is probably the most I have paid for camping in the UK ever - but this was probably a function of Fully Serviced Pitch, Great Location for the Mendips, Indoor Pool and Half Term.

Would I return? Probably, but would take a electric only pitch in the main field so it would be cheaper and more sociable.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: FloDorm 1 review from this member

A comfortable and much needed break, taking in the sites of Wells and Cheddar Gorge. The Saturday night torrential rain at least proved our new tent to be waterproof. All the staff we spoke to were very friendly and extremely helpful. Thank you.

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Julesht 2 reviews from this member

Booked in here at relatively short notice considering it was Easter weekend, and loved it. The plots were extremely well tended and spacious.

Owners were very helpful- I noticed a split in my high pressure gas hose and the owner (who didn't have any in the shop) went and dug around out back and came up with some he had knocking about (free of charge). They also did a great job of organising a great big Easter egg hunt (also free of charge) which all the kids absolutely loved.

The family bathroom is a nice touch, and main washroom facilities clean if slightly dated.

The pool is fantastic, my daughter basically learned to swim over the Easter weekend, we lived in the pool. Freezing cold changing to be fair, but the water was lovely and facilities clean.

In the evening the club house had a great atmosphere- karaoke for the kids, decent enough food and drink for the adults. It was lively, but not completely mental, which was good.

Little extra touches like home cooked cookies on the reception desk just serve to reinforce the positive feel of our visit.

We will be back!

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Plinsky 15 reviews from this member

We booked as a last minute get away at 5pm. The lady on the phone was extremely helpful and accommodating.

On our arrival we found an envelope with site map and our field number. We were slightly disappointed by the field location. This was opposite a static caravan lees then 10 yards. The pitches weren't very large, there was little privacy, and we had that feeling of being penned in.

The toilets and facilities were clean and the showers were excellent with large privacy cubicle

The bar/restaurant was reasonably priced: the staff were extremely helpful and friendly: nothing was too much trouble.

The shop on site was well stocked with the essentials. The play park was adequate. As it is close to the main road, some road noise was audible at night from our pitch. Pitch to completely levelled: mixed of grass and hard standing

Overall it was a nice site: I think if we had been allocated one of the better pitches further upfield it would have improved our experience.

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Mr Biscuits 1 review from this member

Really enjoyed our weekend stay here with two boys 11 and 8.

Website booking was really easy and when we needed to ring the site to check a few things the staff were really friendly and helpful and appreciative of your custom.

We had booked a 'standard' pitch with EHU for our 7m long motorhome but due to it being low season were actually given a serviced pitch. When (not if) we return we will probably go for serviced pitch as although a bit more expensive the pitch was much more suited to the size of our MH, the 'standard' pitch would probably be just a little too small for us.

The pitches were really well maintained with nice short grass and was very well drained. Hard standings were neatly laid with well compacted chippings and neatly bordered.

The site caters for tents, caravans, motorhome and has a number of seasonal pitches, statics and holiday lodges.

Toilet block was clean and tidy although the style was maybe a little dated, they did the job well and the shower cubicles were a really nice size and the showers worked a treat.

A security barrier with access code is provided at the site entrance.

Wifi was competitively priced and the speed was reasonably good (I've stayed at sites with better and sites with worse) maybe an issue in high season? But it worked good enough for us.

The children's play area was tidy and well maintained although was more suitable for our 8 year old than the 11.

The clubhouse was tidy, well priced and seemed popular - we don't normally use on site clubs but thought we'd pop in for a drink. We would use it again on a return visit.

The site has a free to use heated indoor pool which we didn't use as we thought it didn't open until Easter but conflicting information suggested it had just opened for the season. I would imagine that the pool was a little on the compact size from the brochure photographs but would have made a pleasant distraction for the kids to have used if we'd brought their swimming shorts.

We live fairly close (25 miles) from the site so are familiar with the area so occasional weekend trips using this site are ideal for us. If we lived further afield it would be a good site for a week stay and enjoy the local attractions such as Cheddar and the Gorge, the City of Wells, Wookey Hole etc.

The local village (although we didn't really check) seems to have a small shop and a pub. Some form of transport is probably recommended but the main towns of Cheddar and Wells are only a 10-15 minute drive in either direction.

Overall we were really pleased to have found this site and thought it offered great value for money and will return again for a weekend or two later in the year.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Yvonne-s 1 review from this member

I turned up on spec at this campsite with my 9 year old sun for a 2 night stop. They had plenty of room in their summer camping field which had a fabulous view across the countryside. Plenty of hot water for washing up and showers. The bath cost 1 for hot water but it was good to have this option. Plenty of room in a freezer for ice blocks. We didn't need an electric hook up but there were spaces available if we had. Staff were helpful and friendly and gave good independent advice, e. G. They told us the wifi was poor in the field before we parted with any money. The swimming pool was lovely and warm and my son enjoyed playing in the children's playground which was alongside the cafe area so it was easy to sit and have a drink or food whilst keeping an eye on him. Lovely site, - we'd definitely go back again.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Paul Williams 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 6 days stay at this lovely camp site. Easy to find from the M5. On arrival the staff were so helpful and nothing was too much bother. Our pitch was at the top of the grove, 118 and the view was lovely. Just what you wanted to see first thing in the morning the beautiful rolling hills of somerset. The pitch was level and a nice size. So nothing to complain about there. Ok we were a little way from the toilet block which was a pain at 3am if your wanting a trip to the Loo. But next I will take a portable loo for night time. The showers and toilets were clean. I have to say I had a shower every morning not once did I not have hot water. They were lovely. The shop was well stocked with camping spares. If you wanted fresh bread you had to be up early. But it is worth getting up early for. The Bar/restaurant is Nice. Again friendly staff makes all the difference. We did eat there so can not comment of the food but can imagine it being to a high standard.

All in all had a lovely stay and will be going back again and will be trying to get that pitch as well. Couldn't fault it. Lovely friendly site.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Bondy1980 12 reviews from this member

Having reviewed this site on each of my previous stays I wont go through everything again only to update on my experiences.

On this occasion we stayed in our folding camper on one of the new fenced pitches in the top field. Good size grass pitch, level, good drainage with good quality fencing. Very expensive though when compared with other sites offering similar. The site wasn't overly busy despite it being nice weather in August so this was a plus. We used to use the bar regularly as the food and service was excellent. However. On this stay the menu was the same but the quality of ingredients has declined. I'm not sure of the guys name who was working in there but he needs to go on a customer service course and learn to smile a bit! Such a shame is this was a real selling point for the site.

The toilet block in the top field, whilst cleaned daily, weren't cleaned properly. There were no end of spiders and cobwebs that a duster could have disposed of easily. This may only be minor but not when my little girl is frightened to go to the toilet because of the spiders. The price increases in recent times coupled with the less than excellent food and service that we have previously experienced probaby means that we will holiday elsewhere for a while. Dont get me wrong, this is a cracking site, will situated, but its just lost its shine for us.

Previous     116 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Bucklegrove Holiday Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Does Bucklegrove Holiday Park have a swimming pool?  YES, there is a pool on site  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Bucklegrove Holiday Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Bucklegrove Holiday Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Cheddar      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Somerset

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more