Reviews of High Laning Camping & Caravan Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Sedbergh > High Laning Camping & Caravan Park Reviews

High Laning Camping & Caravan Park
Dent
(lake District)
Sedbergh
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA10 5QJ

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <5 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  111 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: September 2020 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Lisajk 12 reviews from this member

A mixed bag, this site. Fantastic location with great walks nearby, close to pub (unfortunately only one open in village due to Covid) and the cafe in the museum does a great breakfast bap.

Site is split over two areas either side of the road - southern area has hardstanding, northern area does not and got very wet while we were there, as the weather was pretty dreadful.

Couldn't get wifi to work and no phone signal, but neither a big issue for us. The lady who organises your pitch when you arrive, whose name I am ashamed to say I have forgotten, appears quite fierce and a bit scary, but in fact she was very nice, and actually really kind. Took the effort to learn my name and was helpful throughout even when we messed up her parking instructions (please listen carefully to what she asks you - the parking requirements are for a reason).

On the downside the facilities were a bit primitive, appeared completely unheated, and no hot water at all for dishwashing on the first morning. Showers worked ok but were coin operated - I don't object to that (rather that than push buttons) but finding coins was a struggle.

If you are in anything bigger than a VW type camper, don't come in from the east. We managed it but there was a very narrow bridge and a section of road on which we met a succession of vehicles and struggled to get two vehicles past, as there were no real passing places.

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Campervanpair 7 reviews from this member

Great area for walking. Views are stunning. Site is a short walk into village which has cobbled streets and two pubs.

We had an evening meal in The Sun and it was good pub food. Facilities were a bit dated but don't normally mind that so long as they are cleaned every day but as far as we could see they were never cleaned during our visit - this was a massive disappointment.

We also couldn't find anyone to complain to. Not good value at 27. 50 per night.

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: GTalbot123 2 reviews from this member

Pitches are flat, well maintained grass, easy to peg, and breathtaking views.

Checked in at the museum (which does an awesome mega breakfast sandwich), and chose my own pitch as staying Sunday to Tuesday.

The toilets were clean but I didn't use the showers as only stopping 2 nights and not trying to impress any ladies! :)

I mountain biked the area which is spectacular, through Deepdale to Ingleton, up to the Ribblehead viaduct and back again via Whernside.

I also watched England win the cricket world cup in the pub with 30 others which is a memory I will never forget.

I had no problems with a mobile signal and 4G in the site but it was sunny. As soon as I left Dent village I had no signal.

Dent is normally wet but I returned home with sunburn! :)

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Dubdogs 147 reviews from this member

Stopped at this site for 1 night when walking the Dales Way with my dog.

It's a slight detour in to the village, but one that is worth it to see the quaintness of the village and cobbled street. There are two pubs to chose from, I went with the Sun Inn, which had good ale and reasonable food. I couldn't get a phone signal in the village but the pub had free wifi. The campsite had wifi, but it was at extra charge (and the only campsite on the walk that didn't provide free wifi).

Check in at the site was disjointed, I walked up to the reception only to be told they were eating their tea so to go down to the shop/museum. I went down to the shop to be asked to check in in the morning as they were shutting up, I said I was leaving at 8am and would they be open; to be questioned with why was I leaving so early and couldn't I go at 9am when they would be open!

Begrudgingly she then checked me in as she realised they wouldn't get paid otherwise! The facilities were dated and the shower room was cramped and also another 50p per shower. The site had a large group of bikers that were very noisy until about 1am-ish.

It's a shame as the location is good, but the site seems to be lacking customer service and supervision over night.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Davsato 3 reviews from this member

A relaxed site with great views. Its a lovely area to explore, the roads nearby across the dales are fantastic. Dent itself is a nice quiet village with a couple of pubs and some cafes.

Campsite facilities are good showers are plentiful and work well, showers and toilets were clean. The campsite has good amenities, a well stocked shop, and allows off the ground BBQs (and sells disposables, fuel and ingredients).

If you don't fancy any cooking the village itself has pubs, cafes and restaurants within a 5min walk, and breakfast baps can be pre-ordered from the campsite.

No problems, we would have no second thoughts about staying again in fact we are planning to next year

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Explore with Dora 16 reviews from this member

I used this site as I was running a trail race in Sedbergh and Dent is only 5 miles away. Turned out to be a really good choice.

Some comment that the site is expensive but I was on my own and was only charged a per person rate which many sites will not do.

There was plenty of space to set up my tent and the facilities are very good although you do have to pay extra for the showers which is a pain if you don't have the right coins.

The owners are really friendly and helpful and clearly take a pride in their site - there are even wheelbarrows to use for BBQ's!

I will certainly stay here again.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Riff 15 reviews from this member

We stayed here August Bank Holiday after our first choice of site had let us down majorly.

Despite it being a Bank Holiday, the site was busy but not rammed. We were given a decent flat pitch a short distance from the toilet block.

Facilities were nice and clean and I never had to queue. The showers are coin-operated, so keep some change spare. The only niggle was groups of teenagers who seemed to think the toilet block was a good place to hang out(!).

Views from the site were amazing and it's a perfect base to do 'walks from the door'. We managed a couple of decent walks over the weekend.

Dent itself is also nice with a couple of very nice pubs. There is a museum on site, but we didn't visit it so can't comment on what it's like.

Date of Visit: March 2017 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Gail-force 11 reviews from this member

I'd booked to stay at High Laning via e-mail 2 nights earlier and got confirmation they had a pitch available for us.

We arrived at 2pm to find the caravan site was full of cars as there was a road race on and we were asked to park on a slope in the farm yard until they'd cleared off. I was charged 24 for the night even though their website said it was 19 per night for a campervan and two people (I assume that's the price without electric).

They'd shown us where our pitch was going to be when it eventually became vacant and it was on a lightly sloping grass pitch. But there was no way our 25 meter cable would have stretched to the hook-up!

We went for a walk for an hour and returned to the site to see it was still full of cars so I asked for a refund on my card, which to be fair was given straight away and we drove home.

If you've booked a pitch, you assume you'll have it from 1pm till 11am the next morning, not be parked up in a working farmyard for an unknown length of time. Had we been forewarned that our pitch wouldn't be available until after 5pm, we would have worked around this.

We have been using this site on and off for the last 20 years, but after this, we won't be back!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Chorleydave 7 reviews from this member

You get what you pay for and this site is very expensive, but the facilities are pristine. A little regimented in that the owners tell you where to pitch and although it was quiet during the week, it did get rather busy at the weekend, with children running around until after dark and those same youngsters up and playing before seven o clock the following morning!

This doesn't particularly bother me, but if you are the type who enjoys peace and quiet, you might want to look elsewhere. I also had the impression that cramming in could be a problem at busier times, such as Bank Holiday weekends.

As I say, I don't particularly mind a bit of noise, after all the people are on holiday and a bonus of this site is that the official curfew time (printed on the ticket that you attach to your unit) is 11:30PM, much more reasonable than the ten o clock I have seen on some sites.

Would I use this site again? No - but only because of the cost.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Gill Ford 9 reviews from this member

We arrived in the sunshine and was told by Margaret where we could pitch - we could chose our own and she also advised us on where the sun came up and went down so we could decide which way to face the tent. We then had a storm but the pitch didn't get soggy.

The site looked big but for our 17 days we were virtually alone apart from a caravan club which pitched at one end. Dent is very quiet and if you want night life, wifi and phone signals then it is not the place to come.

The facilities are clean, you have to pay 20 pence for 3 minutes for the shower which for us was enough but anyone with long hair they may have had to pay twice.

There are 2 pubs in the village we only tried the George and Dragon, where we had a fantastic meal and had wifi. The nearest supermarket is the Spar in Sedburgh which also has the best butchers who sell the best steak we have had in a long time.

The bigger supermarket Booths is in Kirkby Lonsdale. The local shop in Dent sells basics, milk, fresh bread, fruit and veg and also essentials like tent pegs etc. We would go again and the walking from the site was great.

And the view whilst eating our evening meal was to die for!

Previous     111 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is High Laning Camping & Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to High Laning Camping & Caravan Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is High Laning Camping & Caravan Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Sedbergh      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan and Motorhome VIRTUAL Show 03/02 to 06/02
Browse the latest models, research purchases and watch expert webinars, all from the comfort of your sofa ...more