Visitor Reviews - Spring Willows Leisure Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Scarborough > Spring Willows Leisure Park Reviews

Spring Willows Leisure Park
Main Road
Staxton
Scarborough
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
YO12 4SB

Pitches: 62 Touring
Open: February - December

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   TV Room   Games Room   No Evening Ents
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   No Outdoor Pool
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  31 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: L111MSY 4 reviews from this member

Spring willows fit us in at short notice for the bank holiday weekend! At £22 a night we were shocked it was so cheap! After visiting we now know why!

When you first arrive you have to drive your caravan around the complete site to get to reception. You then are shown to your pitch, again going right around the campsite, up the most horrific winding road which is bordered with huge boulders! You don't want to hit one with your caravan as it would cause irreparable damage!

As we were interested in a season pitch we were placed in the season pitch area. At the end on the field there was a block of porta loos, only one with a locking door! This was to service the entire touring and camping area. The main toilet block was a good ten minute walk away in the middle of the static caravans, because the need these facilities don't they!

Further more to this, in the season pitch area there was a lady with 3westie dogs which she tethered in the middle of the field and all they did was bark all day long!

That along with the long walk to facilities certainly made our minds up not to consider a season pitch, also on that note the Price for season touring pitch £2k for a year but advertises £995 for a static, can't see the logic in that one either.

All in all, mucky site, with more focus on statics, left a day early as fed up with the place! Won't be returning and certainly will not be recommending!

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shell0483 1 review from this member

Just come back from a weekend at Spring willows, really really good weekend.

The ground was a bit hard for the pegs for our tent but you expect to put a bit of effort into erecting a tent anyway. Facilities are excellent, 4 or 5 showers in both men's and ladies toilet blocks and always kept clean and checked on a rota. I'm quite picky about the showering thing so this was excellent for me.

The bar has a very friendly atmosphere and the bar staff are all very helpful and personable. (Ask about the Grease hand jive in the bar ha) It's reasonably priced (cheaper than our local) and the food is excellent, both quality and value. It was nice to feel like I wasn't being ripped off for using the on site services.

The shop on site has everything you need. The pool is good for kids and the games room too, I didn't use either but I heard the pool was still as nice as it was twenty years ago.

All in all, I would recommend, we'll definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Clair B 3 reviews from this member

We stayed for 5 days in school holidays (2 tents, 4 adults, 3 kids and a 3month old baby). We had a lovely time. Pitched tent in heavy rain (always a downside) had a few problems with getting pegs in but not too bad.

We pitched in what looked like a cut out at the side of the hill so no wind. Staff were always polite and helpful. We used swimming pool and although it is small it was good enough for us.

Shower/toilet block were always kept clean but only 1 shower and we had to wait once. Site wasn't busy so this could be a problem at busier times. Play areas were great for all ages.

We didn't use pub that is on site. Site security was good. Will be going back again soon.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Buttwilk 9 reviews from this member

Stayed on this site may 2011, not very impressed, showers were rubbish about 10 seconds every time you pushed the button, not very clean. We used the disabled toilet and shower but it had not been cleaned. Site for tourers not very good, muddy. Bar was only open now and again. When we arrived we were shown to our pitch and told by the guy when we had enough of touring he would sell us a proper caravan. We had not been to this site for many years and will not be coming again unless some changes are made to the facilities for tourers

Date of Visit: February 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: CamperWoman 6 reviews from this member

A 3 night stay during February Half term in a touring caravan. 2 adults, 3 kids and 2 dogs.

The camp site in general was ok, nothing special, but nothing wrong with it. We were in the 'bottom field' which was basically just a small muddy field with a row of tourers in it, some of which seemed to be there on a long term basis.

It was ok, no complaints, but somehow didn't 'wow' us either. The general feeling from this camp site is that it mainly caters for the big statics, and tourers and tents are a bit of an afterthought.

The toilets were spotless, but as we seemed to be the only family using them I would hope they were clean! There seemed to be only 1 shower in the ladies, but about 8 or 9 toilets, seemed a bit odd really, come summer that would be a nightmare. I wonder if there was another block of showers/toilets at the opposite end of the campsite, but never looked??

The clubhouse was great, plenty of things for the kids to play with, but of course, they all cost 50p a go! Beer prices were ok, not too bad for a club like that. Dogs were allowed in the bar too which is nice.

Worst Bit: The bottom field electric hook ups were only 10 amps and tripped out every time we tried to use anything electrical, it was a pain in the backside. Apparently the 'top field' is 16 amps, so should be better.

Best Bits; The free indoor pool and the dog walk. Best dog walk I have seen in a long time on a camp site, it goes off away from the site, trough a couple of fields, lovely for the dog to be allowed off the lead for a run. The pool. Though small, was lovely and the kids had a brilliant time in it. I dread to think what it will be like in summer with dozens of people wanting in, but for winter, great.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: DEANOP 1 review from this member

Just returned from a four night stay. Staff very friendly and site generally very good, although we were camping and placed in the top field. Ground was rock hard almost as if it was a hard core base with thin grass covering. Broke several pegs whilst pitching with most other pegs bent as the peg hit rock.

A bit of a trek to the toilet blocks, down steps, my son counted 40. As I say the campsite was generally good, but the top field seemed like an afterthought, not very picturesque, in fact at the top of the field it seemed to be a dumping ground.

Bar clean and tidy, again staff v friendly with things for young children to do. Didn't try the food although it did look good.

No facilities to freeze cooler bag blocks which was a shame as a lot of other sites offer this service free.

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Grammers 2 reviews from this member

There for the late May bank holiday. Start off with what I found bad first then attempt to finish on a high!

Easily found and about 7 miles to the busy bit of sea front at Scarborough. Was checked in and lead up to the 'top' field ('A' pitches). These have no hook up and are very exposed to the elements.

Began to construct the tent and soon realised that this was a very rocky / chalky area. I think I wrote off 7 pegs in the end. The whole field was sloping probably 4-5 degrees. There was a trashed set of goal posts thrown against the fence which looked untidy. Water for drinking was about 85 metres away with an effluent hole close to that.

Now here comes the rub in my opinion. I was chatting to a bloke later that evening who had been there 3 times camping and never got on the same pitches twice. He empathised with the peg problem and said he'd never been put so far up the site in our field. So I guess the place is expanding but the nearest toilet block was about 7-8 minutes walk down quite a few steps in amongst the caravans. It was an effort when you have 2 small kids.

There only appeared to be 2 shower cubicles in there. So please Spring Willows if you are going to use the top fields then invest in a little toilet block for us all to save the trek!

Out of their control was the road noise but you've still got to mention it I'm afraid. The A64 skirts around the Northern perimeter.

Good stuff was the friendliness of all the staff. The little indoor swimming pool was nice and warm and it occupied my two for an hour or so on a cold Sunday morning. The changing rooms were a bit brisk yet clean and the shower hot.

The clubhouse has a kids club at 1930 for an hour which revolved around dancing games like statues and musical chairs. A pint was about £3 so not far off anywhere else. We never ate there but the food being brought out was your classic steak and chips etc for about £8 and plenty of people were eating. Just be careful as it closes at 2030 for food.

There is a little playpark just a couple of metres away which was clean. If the weather had been warmer it would have been nice sitting outside on the spacious decking I would assume.

Date of Visit: April 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dannyandlaura 1 review from this member

We just spent the week leading up to Easter and the Easter weekend at this campsite, I have always passed the site as a kid (parents weren't caravanners) and wanted to come.

It was my first time out with my own van and the people on the site were very helpful and pleasant.

I was checked on quickly without fuss, the receptionist was most helpful. I was then taken across to my pitch, season pitch people helped guide me onto the pitch and I was on my way.

Due to the timing the club was not open until bank holiday weekend but that did not affect us as we have a newborn and wanted a quiet time.

We used the swimming pool which was extremely clean and ideal for my 3 year old daughter. She had a great time and the pool area was fairly warm, as was the water. Its no Olympic pool nor does it have wave machines etc but it certainly did the trick, especially when it was raining.

We had our dog with us also, a demanding lurcher, we were shown one of the largest dog walks I have seen on a camp site. It was clean and well kept with no excrement on the pathways.

When the club did open we took the kids in, it was very friendly and run in an organised and approachable way. My daughter loved the dancing and the kids games. Prices were reasonable but certainly not cheap.

The outdoor area with the climbing frames etc were well kept and plentiful my daughter loved them.

The shower blocks were clean and warm, they were heated and the showers were excellent, the tap style showers were better than the push button ones but that's to be expected.

All in all we had a great time and was certainly pleased with the site and its facilities. Would definitely go back again although there were signs saying no bbq's which would concern me in summer. Although some of the seasonal pitchers did have them outside so I don't imagine its too strict.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: 1twen1 4 reviews from this member

Been here before when it was all tourers and things have changed a lot.

We stayed in a tent at the top of the park, this in itself is a pain and there is a long walk to the toilets, and at 2am in the rain is not pleasant. There was also loads of wasps which were a nuisance.

The toilets themselves were very clean, and the showers also clean. In fact, they are almost exclusive to tent users as the whole site is almost all statics and sited tourers now. In 2 days I didn't see another person in them so no waiting for a shower :-)

The staff are really friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us. There is moderate entertainment with quizzes, pool table, sky tv and a few kids games, not as good as a few years ago when there were singers and magicians on etc but still not bad for a weekend away.

The shop is fairly sparse, beer reasonably priced, there's a pool and play area for the kids and a small amusements.

Bit pricey at £46 for 2 nights but you pay your money and take your chance. I'd go back again but it wouldn't be my first choice in this area mainly because of the price and long walk to the toilets.

Date of Visit: October 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Linaloe 5 reviews from this member

Spent half term week on this site with my husband & 12yr old daughter, although there were plenty of spaces on the lower part of the site we were put up at the top which meant a walk down 40 steps to get to the loo (I have better things to do, my daughter counted them!). The toilets were clean but the floors didn't appear to have been cleaned & the same in the showers.

Halfway through the week my hubby was talking to someone who told him that he thought the bottom pitches were kept for regulars & sure enough on Friday they started to fill up.

Second night we were there seemed to be party night up the top & was very noisy & it's so far away from reception that they wouldn't notice.

The staff are friendly, there is a small shop, we didn't use the pool or bar.

Not the worst site we've ever stayed on but we definitely wont be going back.

Previous     31 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

Win a Buzz Quattro Tilting 4 Bike Carrier Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to £175!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 15th to 18th August, E Yorks
The biggest tribute band music festival in the world! Use promo code “tribukcampsite” to save 10% on Weekend Camping Tickets! ...more