Visitor Reviews - Folkestone Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Kent > Folkestone > Folkestone Camping And Caravanning Club Site Reviews

Folkestone Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing 1 mile   Wild Swimming On Site   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach 1 mile   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  62 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: April 2019 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Mearsfamily 4 reviews from this member

Of two campsites here on the coast at Folkestone, this is the one at the foot of the cliff. The Little Switzerland one is half-way up the cliff. The CCC site is lower but still 30-40 ft above the beach. The beach itself it stony, with large areas of concrete facing the sea. Nevertheless it's still very pretty here, and most of the pitches have a good sea view. Showers etc. are good, as you would expect of a CCC site, with a lock on the toilet doors, to put off people coming up from the beach and using the showers etc.

There are great walks along the cliff and through the unexpectedly lovely woods under the cliff, with steep paths up to the cliff-tops. There is a great café at the head of one of these, with the Battle of Brittan Memorial and the Abbotsbury sound mirror on the cliff top too.

We were "entertained" one night by a Coastguard Helicopter hovering for about 1/2 and hour over the beach about 1/4 mile up towards Dover. We learned the next day that it was another small boatload of illegal immigrants coming ashore the scattering along the undercliff.

This site was quite busy in early April; at busier times of the year, booking ahead may become necessary.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mark+Fay 1 review from this member

I was first greeted on arrival at the site by a lady who came out of the shop/reception to tell me that my car was not parked in the correct place and could I move it, and did I have a booking.

After moving the car and going inside with our booking confirmation there were 4 staff chatting amongst themselves including the woman who had quickly informed me to move my car, So I stood there totally unacknowledged by the 4 staff for about 2 minutes before one of the guys turned around and said Name? Fay made the booking so it was in her name, so when the guy then confirmed the name and told me that Fay had to go into reception as she booked it and if she wasn't there then I couldn't stay.

All in all not a very pleasant welcome. I must admit the hospitality of the staff whenever you saw them on the site did not improve and for that reason I felt that I was more of a hindrance to them than a paying customer.

As for the access, yes it is tight I can understand why they don't have caravans on this site, but not only is it tight and steep it is full of deep and large pot holes which even at slow speeds were very unforgiving and made you wonder what damage it was doing.

The site itself was amazing, the first night rained and the last night it was extremely windy and being on the end of a cliff you really feel the weather. However, thankfully, the days in between were gorgeous, the sun was shining and the temperatures were great.

The views across the sea and along the white cliffs are breath taking, to open the tent door on the morning and see that view just made the start to the day so much nicer. The handy walk to the beach which is literally just outside of reception is perfect, and as pointed out in other reviews although it isn't the prettiest of beaches it is perfect for walking along and enjoying the sea air as are the paths along the Warren which also end up further along the beach.

They do take dogs on the site, however I would not say that they are dog friendly.

The toilets and shower blocks were always very clean as was the campsite which is really nice. There is a shop in the reception that has some essentials but make sure you have enough with you as there really isn't a lot there.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: John Janet 4 reviews from this member

We chose to stay at this site because we have friends who live nearby, but what a lovely spot it turned out to be. We had a hard-standing pitch with electric hook-up, but what that doesn't tell you, is the wonderful view along the white cliffs and out to sea. And the short stroll down on to the (dog friendly) beach.

Having said that I have only given 9/10 for location because of the long approach road. Actually, calling it a road is a bit flattering. It's a narrow track of pot-holes held together with some tarmac. It's also quite steep in places, so much so that we lost traction on the surface gravel at one point when leaving. Being the access road to the aforementioned beach, it also gets a bit crowded with parked cars, especially on sunny week-ends, and despite the presence of yellow lines.

Depending on your point of view, the lack of a mobile signal may be a good or a bad point, but we had to trek up the hill to get a reliable EE signal.

The 2 facility blocks were well up to normal C&CC standards, complete with the ridiculous 10 second push-button showers. Although not full, there were quite a few units on site while we were there, but the blocks, although not large were big enough to cope easily.

Would we stay here again? Definitely.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bridgeywidge 20 reviews from this member

This site had been my 'holy grail' for some while and finally, I'd managed to book two nights following the Bank Holiday. I went solo, leaving OH behind as he had to work, and I had a little window of opportunity for a mini-adventure.

I originally come from near Dover, so this area is a nostalgic trip down happy memories lane. Although I last went to The Warren (the beach by which the site is located) last, about 37 years ago on a school field trip.

I booked online, and chose a non-electric pitch for economy. I'm quite glad that I did, as it seems the tent grass pitches, non-EHU benefit from the best views.

There were a few tents there, mainly quite small couples/overnighters when I was there, with camper vans and motorhomes making up the main complement.

No caravans due to the rather tricky narrow access road which, on arrival was chocker with parked cars being BH Monday and glorious hot weather - access to the beach is directly by the campsite entrance/reception.

I was met by the warden and taken to my pitch - a grass terrace with a sea view, my car to be left on the verge a short distance away. I wasn't sure whether the whole terrace was 'mine' or just the far end. So I pitched quite snugly (I had our 2. 5 x 3m tent) under the tree facing the sea, but no-one came by me so I may have been able to spread out more. I couldn't see a pitch number for that, mine was 42. Arthur Dent fans will enjoy that.

The site is very tidy with neat mown grass and a few flower beds, enhancing the natural vegetation of the cliff location. As with C&CC sites, the water and waste facilities are well-kept and clean.

Regarding the facilities: the dishwashing area was always quiet when I was there and supplied with plugs - which can be a rarity - and oodles of hot water. The only weird thing is that the sinks don't drain very well. I didn't use the laundry room.

I used the toilet block by Recpetion which is accessed by a code printed in the leaflet given on arrival (along with a warning not to give it to anyone going to the beach). There are only two toilets but, again, I never had to wait but being after BH maybe the site wasn't at it's busiest.

There are two roomy showers, plenty of space to change and a veritable plethora of hooks for clothes, towels etc. The showers are push button which doesn't last for long at each blast. That wasn't a major issue but, what I was a little concerned about was the heat of the water. Great to have hot water, but it may be a bit hot for children and on the border of comfortable for me. There's a hairdryer at 20p a go.

The site has an information kiosk with leaflets etc, and outside a viewing area to see the coast, and tables for consuming icecreams on sale at Reception. Freezer blocks are available for hire, with a deposit, for a fee (£1??) but you cannot freeze your own - 'cross contamination' was given as the reason.

The beach is right on the doorstep of the site and, whilst not totally the prettiest you may have seen (sea defences and WW2 concrete reinforcements) there is a substantial sand and shingle section which was busy with families whilst I was there. We were fortunate with both the weather and sea conditions, which was calm and clear with reflections of the cliffs in the sea. Stunning.

This is the major selling point of the site - the natural environment (great for blackberrying) and walks along the coast and into Folkestone. The nearest shops are a short drive away although the site does sell a few essentials.

I'm not giving it a 10/10 as I felt the site could do with more of a shop or cafe given it's location, and I didn't feel the wardens were as warmly welcoming as some (but maybe they are tired after a busy weekend and summer and it must be hard to be chipper every day) although I was very pleased with my pitch selection. I just got the feeling that they didn't want to chat (I was perhaps over enthusiastic about my reminiscences).

I felt totally safe on the site as a solo female, and that's a big plus. Particularly as mobile reception is transient (I found the best place was on the concrete 'apron' by the sea). Mind you, being separated from technology for a couple of days isn't really a hardship.

I left in the damp, about half the temperature of the day before, so the gloss was a little dulled, but I'm really glad I have been and would go again purely for it's delightful and rather special setting. But, I'd better be quick as people are already booking for next year. If only we could book the weather too.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Inlimine 4 reviews from this member

Positive:

Very nice located, sea views, short walk to the beach

Facilities really nice and clean

Very nice welcome and helpful staff

Negative:

With a big motorhome it is difficult to reach, the way down to the site is narrow and windy and overgrown by brumbles, the garbage truck drive made it but he didn't care the scratches I guess.

Site is very expensive for non-members, we paid 39 £ for one night.

The place was very full which is normal in August, but for that price I would have expected a more spacious pitch.

Overall:

Site is nice and tidy and well located but too expensive for a simple stopover while touring

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: UKreplay 16 reviews from this member

First time at this site and it won't be the last.

Good points.

1/ Neat tidy site.

2/ Helpful staff.

3/ Fantastic views from site.

4/ Clean modern toilets ( code number entry ).

Bad points.

1/ Worst by far is the 5 second shower button. I know it's important to save water but that is a ridiculously short time between presses.

2/ Very tight on the ' rules ' front. I suppose depending on your point of view this is a good or bad thing.

Things outside the campsite.

1/ Access road ( apparently owned by network rail ) is tight width wise, nothing unusual there, but as stated there are a a couple very large potholes.

2/ Not a ' pretty ' beach, lots of concrete, lots of under after obstacles.

3/ Coast path / beach path around sea level doesn't exist at the moment. In the Dover direction the concrete path has been washed away and access is via a plank of wood over rocks. At the Folkestone end the coastal path is being repaired but could not be called an easy walk. Low tide might remove the above obstacles but it's not a route I would use.

4/ Folkestone itself comes across as a working town, some roads without yellow lines near the seafront including at least one 24 hr free carpark. Work being carried out in the harbour. Local businesses seemed very friendly.

Overall a nice site, fellow campers very chatty and the icing on the cake on our visit was a flyover by a spit and hurricane ( B of B memorial at top of cliff ).

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 131 reviews from this member

We stayed here for a couple of nights over two visits that were a week or so apart.

On our first visit, it wasn't a particularly friendly welcome and after driving down the pot-holed flooded lane to get there, it wasn't the best of starts. After being directed to our pitch, it was clear the 6 metre rule is not obeyed by the wardens. We were very close to our neighbours and they had no way to access their pitch in their motorhome without driving between our tent and our friends campervan.

On our second visit to the site, we were on a different pitch and even closer to our neighbours. The only other pitch we could have had meant we couldn't have the car near the tent. For the prices you pay with the C&CC sites you expect better than that. We also put our small 3 man dome tent up, then were asked by the warden to un-peg it and move it about 50cms! It made no difference as we were still only a couple of metres way from 3 other units!

The site itself was tidy and the grass kept short, the facilities were also kept clean.

Outside the park it's not very welcoming, but it is a short stroll down to the sea.

The site is easily the worst C&CC club site I've stayed on because of the pitches and the wardens (to be fair I think they were the warden assistants, rather than the managers).

Very disappointing and this was rated over two separate visits.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: GrumpyBoaby 58 reviews from this member

Really narrow step pot holed lane leading down to the site, once your on the site its a lovely open well laid out site,

Lovely sea views from our pitch close to the shower block, entry codes re-enstated to get in, friendly helpful wardens with a small site shop.

Long well laid out grassy site with some hard standing pitches and motorhome service point

Miles of shingle and sand beach below the site with miles of concrete WW2 platforms to walk along, parking along the lane outside the site gets very congested with local dog owners bringing their dogs down to the beach, we encountered a few owners with four or more large dogs of lead, the path down to the beach is narrow, so avoiding of lead dogs could be a problem.

Very open site and it gets very breezy, with a second visit in the future, supermarkets near at hand in Town.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: SiouxPeto 8 reviews from this member

Very disappointed -used to stay here a lot but haven't visited for about 5yrs. They have lost a lot of the space due to coastal erosion and it is now very very crowded. We are questioning that fact they advertise 80 pitches and the 6 metre rule. We have a small vw campervan and where showed how and exactly where to park it. Lots of rules. And they pack them in. Expensive too.

2 blocks of showers and toilets clean with hot water as you expect from camping and caravan sites with washing up facilities.

The road down is also in need of some work it is steep and very narrow, with enormous potholes. The site was very water logged in a couple of places.

We love Folkestone and have family there lots of great walks and things to do.

What makes this site lovely is its set at the bottom of the cliffs right on the beach. But we will not be going back it has lots it's charm.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Alderney 6 reviews from this member

Our favourite C&CC site. ! Location is amazing, the layout is great, and the staff are just lovely.

Last year when we visited there were codes on the toilet doors - this year they had been dispensed with - trust me, once you have been down that access road you'll agree that no-one would nip down for an unauthorised wee.

My 8 year old had an accident requiring A&E treatment and the site staff were brilliant.

Our highest recommendations

Previous     62 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Kent

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire