Visitor Reviews - Sandy Bay Holiday Park ( Parkdean Resorts )

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Northumberland > Site Reviews

Sandy Bay Holiday Park ( Parkdean Resorts )
North Seaton

Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach On Site   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Coastside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  23 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jamie and Lisa 5 reviews from this member

Our first time at a park resorts site. We had booked 3 nights but stayed only 2.

Club house tiny, was full on a Saturday night in low season an we couldn't get seated. Swimming pool tiny and only 1. 2 meters at the deep end. Amusement arcade not much bigger than our living room.

Touring pitches not clearly numbered. Showers and washing up facilities clean and tidy but no ground level drain for waste water so had to lift it up and empty it into chemical toilet emptying point.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Crazyterrier2000 3 reviews from this member

Short 5 day break in October, 3 kids 2 Adults. Kids loved the swimming and entertainment, which is the reason we were there, entertainment area is being upgraded in 2016 which is good, pool was also adequate, nice area. However, plugged the hoover into an extension supplied with the van, I switched on and could not understand why I had no power, when I turned round to go and check I had plugged it in properly there was smoke coming from the area around the plug, just in front of my children who were watching telly. Immediately pulled from the wall and checked the extension which was fine, when I went to check to plug for the hoover I noticed a large cut through the hoover cable.

This got me checking the rest of the van, certificate for the boiler was out of date ( reception did have the up to date version when I checked later), fire extinguisher manky with grease, and no service label, no pat testing on electrical appliances.

Bought it up with reception and was told intitially it was not their problem, because it was owner rented, this was quickly rescinded when I pointed out I had rented through them not the owner, given a bottle of wine and a apology.

On returning home I decided I needed further answers, Park were so good at not responding to any of my emails, I passed the complaint onto Northumberland Council, with photographs, who contacted me and did make a visit to them.

Would I go back there, never in a miliion years.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jlw10will 1 review from this member

People at reception were very nice, campsite very marshy like, one of the things that put me off was 3 little dogs barking all the time, they were chained to a fence all the time we were there, did report it to reception and the girl made all the right noises but the young guy gave it away by saying it was awful obviously they knew and were turning a blind eye to the plight of the dogs, think a lot of travellers use this site long term, toilets were clean although not many of them, I would say this is more a static site than a normal campsite. The pool was good and the staff were really nice. In all if they were to have a proper touring area it could be a great site. The only other thing we felt was the fence at the cliffs was totally not safe in places and young children could easily get through and fall down the cliff face, put it this way I would not let my grandchildren stay there. They charged us 7. 20 per night now we know why

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Vintagekate 4 reviews from this member

I haven't actually got a good word to say about this dirty, badly run nightmare. It was so cheap I figured 'how bad could it be?' but honestly, I had no idea, it fell so far below even a basic acceptable level. Even staying in our own tourer it was a dreadful break. Just don't do it to yourself, go stay somewhere else.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Nicky M 2 reviews from this member

One night spent at Sandy Bay.

Was very disappointed with the way it was run.

It was a find a pitch yourself approach which clearly no one cares about. After two circuits of the touring field we found a pitch. We then felt we couldn't leave again as we would loose it and the area was very full. We ended up with a car about 6 inches from our unit.

The facility block was tired and dirty and inadequate for the number of pitches.

The shop charged very high prices for basic goods.

I wouldn't recommend this site.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bern2212 1 review from this member

We arrived on the site on a Saturday to be told there where no pitches available, I asked if Park Resorts had any other ones close by, no totally full up! We left the park and I started phoning around, I decided to phone Park Resorts anyway as I had checked the website a few hours before and there was available pitches, to my surprise pitches available at Sandy Bay! So I booked, returned to site where I was told to take my pick there was plenty to choose from! Fantastic sea views, a bit of a walk to the beach and entertainment centre. The beach does have a lot of coal on it but still nice. Toilet block didn't have disabled facilities, only four toilets, mostly without toilet roll and two showers without anything safe to hang on to, but they were cleaned each morning. The entertainment was ok and the kids seamed to enjoy it. Indoor pool was also good, the shop was well stocked. Our caravan had a problem when we got there which meant we had to stay longer than expected, I went back to reception to book again only to be told the same story, no pitches, I had just finished checking the website! When I told him this, there was suddenly a pitch available! Not sure what to make of this ?

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Hutchinsonfamily 5 reviews from this member

Visited this site three times over April and May. It may not be in the best location next to ashington and newbiggen, but it has a lovely sandy beach on site and gorgeous sea views from your pitch. Pitches on cliff top so can be little windy at times. Staff are helpful, on arrival you are asked to choose your own pitch which I prefer.

With four young children the facilities are excellent, including indoor pool (my kids loved going on the inflatable balls that let you walk on water only 3 5min) also good park and entertainment complex, the pub which is excellent for family entertainment.

The toilet facilities are clean but not to a great standard, ladies have only two showers, not sure on men's but my husband did go one morning and there was no toilet roll in any cubicle.

Downside is they let all sorts on, allow commercial vehicles with caravans, and same sex groups.

To sum up excellent value for money and if you have children this site offers lots to do. Will be returning.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Vicky young 3 reviews from this member

Had a good weekend at Sandy Bay, weather wasn't great but didn't matter. Lots to do and good stocked shop on site. Local Chinese even delivers to the site. Lots to do for kids and good walks for the dogs. The staff could have been a bit more helpful, as you've got to find your own pitch, I think a member of staff should at least escort you to your pitch or at least give you a pitch number to go to. But never mind had a good weekend, will go back.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Shell G 11 reviews from this member

On arrival we were greeted pleasantly and told to find our own pitch which was quite difficult as they had had lots of rain and the ground was very squelshy and grass very long. A fellow camper told us to be careful were we parked and told us he was leaving for reasons (which we thought strange). After parking up the penny dropped and we realised that the campsite has a lot of travellers living there. As we had no children with us we were not bothered but the constant driving in and out with vans did start to annoy. We were there for 4 nights and did not once see security. Toilets OK but the other half said mens was a little dirty and even went to reception to ask about cleaners. They appeared and all OK. The club house is nice and usual good entertainment for a Park Resorts. The beach is lovely and has lots of rock pools.

The site is not far from Newcastle and we found Tynemouth to be a lovely place to visit, even having a night out at the theatre there. Beamish is half an hour drive but worth it.

On leaving we popped into the reception and complained and felt that the response offered by the young receptionist was poor and unprofessional for a large company like park resorts. I would not go to this park again and unless I get some satisfactory response from PR would reconsider going to any of there parks again, which is such a shame as the other 3 we have visited so far this year have been great.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Motley 26 reviews from this member

We were asked to find our own pitch, there were vans parked all over the place, no directions or help from staff.

2 gents and 2 ladies showers, with I would think, room for 140 plus vans, far too inadequate

As mentioned previously, the grey waste had to be emptied into the chemical disposal point, which was a good 3 ft lift.

Access to the beach was across a stile, but the cliff had broken away, so the only way to the beach was a 50 ft drop!

A barrier was across the entrance, but no keys were available. We were told to contact a member of staff to gain access! Totally unsuitable. So after making a nuisance of ourselves on the first night, security produced a key. Unbelievable.

Although not the most important aspect of camping, Internet access in this day and age can be very useful. Wifi at this park was 7 per day! If most cafes and pubs can provide it free, Park Resorts should be able to.

The only plus to this park is the area. The Northumberland coast is the best in the country and lots of Market towns are within a short distance of this park.

Previous     23 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Northumberland

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over 885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth 119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey