Visitor Reviews - Hafan Y Mor Holiday Park ( Haven Holidays)

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Wales > Gwynedd > Site Reviews

Hafan Y Mor Holiday Park ( Haven Holidays)
Pwllheli
Snowdonia
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL53 6HXCheck Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast        Visit their website

Open:

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   No Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool On Site   Outdoor Pool On Site
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  45 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Macarw 16 reviews from this member

We stayed for 6 nights costing about 70 a night for 2 adults, 2 children and a dog (with the Haven Freedom trail discount). The site was easy to find and easy access. We followed the directions given on our booking details with some trepidation as the map showed a tight hairpin bend en route, but actually it turned out to be a wide sweeping bend in the end. There were also lots of large laybys en route with plenty of room to stop with the caravan in tow. The only hold ups were getting through the centre of Criccieth with cars parked on the sides of the road.

Access on and off the Haven site was via a manned security barrier. We took our passes with us every time we left the site and showed them on our return. I don't know if we needed to do that but it made entering the site easy.

The touring part of the site was quite strict with checking in times, we noticed outfits being turned away and having to reverse back down the road when they arrived before 12pm. I am not sure where they parked before being able to check in again. There didn't seem to be an late arrivals area either.

On arrival we were allocated a pitch on the main road in and out. I was worried it might be busy but it wasn't too bad. The pitches were a reasonable size with a concrete section for the caravan, a gravel section for awning and a grassy area, separated from the next pitch by a small hedge. The road was marked off and all cars were parked on the roadside sideways in front of the pitches. I thought they felt very squashed together, both side by side and opposite each other, and were arranged a bit like a car park - not my favourite type of site layout, and I didn't like the cars being parked in front of all the pitches - not great if you have young children you want to keep an eye on. There was a small play area in the middle of the site, but it was surrounded by caravans and hedges and wasn't in view of many pitches. There were no other open spaces on the touring area. All pitches were fully serviced.

The toilet block was absolutely immaculate and looked very new, with a keycode for access. I was a bit worried as there were only 3 or 4 toilets and showers for 75 pitches, but having said that I never had to queue for either. Maybe with all pitches being serviced guests used their own showers in their vans, or like us used the showers in the pool after a swim. The showers were push button with an annoyingly short time before having to press again, and they were very hot - I mentioned to the warden I felt they were too hot especially for children but he said it wasn't easy to change the temperature as they were automatically controlled or something. There was also nowhere to put shampoo bottles which was annoying. There were washing up sinks in the foyer area of the toilet block which were used a lot. I expected a launderette but that was right over the other side of the site - a long walk away. The main downside was that during the hour that the toilet block was cleaned there were no alternative facilities, the nearest toilet was either the swimming pool or the reception which were quite a walk away. Most sites we have been on have a disabled toilet or similar available. It was quite dark heading to the toilet block at night. I was grateful we'd remembered torches.

The site is advertised as dog friendly, but I couldn't find anywhere to walk our dog off the lead. There were some pleasant on the lead walks around the site in the evenings, and we walked along the coastal path by the beach, but the tide always seemed to be right in so no space for the dog to run on the beach. Dogs were not allowed inside the venues, but there were lots of outdoor seating areas, so you could eat or drink outside the bars and restaurants with the dog weather permitting of course!

It's a huge site, the beach was the opposite side of the site, and there were a few cars driving round as it was quite a walk if you have young children. I was surprised they didn't have a land train which other large Haven sites offer. It had the usual Haven facilities, 3 showbars, arcades, children's play areas, and activities you could pay for including bike and scooter hire, mini golf, high ropes, pedalos, pool kayaking to name a few. It had a great pool with slides and lots of fun areas and even a completely separate 2 lane training pool purely for swimming up and down - this was the only quiet area of the pool though, which as expected for August, was busy most of the time. The changing rooms and showers were very clean and well maintained and the pool had a balcony area for spectators. There was a Starbucks, burger King, Papa John's (Which would deliver), fish and chips, and there were well stocked supermarkets on site, a bit pricey but again as expected for this sort of site. There were supermarkets a short drive away.

It was a good location for visiting West Wales, we went to Anglesey, Shell Island, Barmouth and Fairbourne. However it was a bit of a drive to some places as it's out on the Lleyn Peninsula, so you had to drive back and round to get to places like Barmouth. I'm not sure if we'll return, it was such a big site our boys didn't feel comfortable exploring on their own, so we may choose a smaller site such as Greenacres in future, which as direct access to a huge beach - better for dog walking too!

But if you like a lively, busy site with lots going on and lots to see and do in the local area overall it was a very good site.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Degsyblue 1 review from this member

Whilst the Hafan Y Mor site has many attributes for a children's holiday there are some serious shortcomings for touring caravans. There are some 75 pitches situated in the north east part of the park. This is as far as you can get to the beach so beware (20+ mins with children). The pitches are quite tight & without a motor mover would be tricky to manoeuvre in. Pitch services are good with water, electricity & drainage to hand. However the really poor element of the touring area are the toilet facilities. There are 4 yes 4 male WC's for 75 touring pitches, there was an uncomfortable queue every morning before the toilets ( & wash up) closed for cleaning between 11:00 & 12:00 every day. The washrooms were very well kept & clean so no criticism here, just the utterly inadequate capacity. For 380 for 5 nights one would have expected better facilities. In addition, dogs are allowed at this park (for a charge), however, there are no dog exercise facilities. When I questioned this with the warden, they stated that dogs are allowed in all the external areas of the site as long as they are kept on a lead. This does not exercise a dog on a lead. So we had to go off site to exercise our dogs.

DG

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: ZIZAG 25 reviews from this member

Stayed in a static caravan on other side of Holiday park.

And went to check out the touring /motorhomes area which is tucked away in the top end of the site.

There does not seen to be much room between pitchs

Also not much of a view as Its all hidden away in a wooded area. The toilet and shower facilities are ample and kept spotless clean.

The holiday facilities Ie, shops bars and entertainment and pool are very good.

The whole of the site is well laid out and

There is a lovely walk to the headland and a cove with a beach.

Also close to

All the town's and villages Pwllheli Criccieth Portmadoc and the beautiful Abersoch.

This is a lovely place for family holidays.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Boltonpete57 4 reviews from this member

Would totally agree with last reviewer. Site is immaculate. Pitches flat. All fully serviced. Wardens very friendly. Toilet block kept very clean. Site is geared for families and as such caters for all types. Swimming complex is I am told best in the north. Easy access to clean beach. Playgrounds great. Activities limitless and evening entertainment to suit everyone. Take away food (fish and chips, burger king and papa John's). Starbucks for daytime coffee. Only downside is mini markets not a lot of choice so went to Asda at pwllehli (5 mins) or Tesco portmadog ( 20 mins. ) pricey yes. Happy grandkids yes. Job done.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sunncamp owner 13 reviews from this member

Ok first of all this kind of site is not usually where we would frequent however we decided to give one a go. When we arrived we were shown to our pitch and this was the only problem we encountered all week, we were with friends and had asked to be pitched next to them and whilst we were indeed numerically next to them we couldn't have been in a worse place as we were round the corner from them, we have young children and this meant we couldn't really socialise as much as we would have liked. That said the wardens were friendly, the toilets on the touring section were immaculate and the pitches were of a reasonable size and again spotless. As you would expect on a site of this size it had pizza shops, burger kings etc etc all of which seemed well run and clean enough. We used the pool a few times which has been updated this year and that was great! didn't really use much of the three pubs/clubs on site but they too seemed ok if not a little rammed. The area the site is in is beautiful and I will certainly visit this area of wales again. Would I rush back to the campsite? probably not as we didn't really make use of the facilities enough to warrant the cost of the place in summer holidays. If you want an absolutely action packed but costly holiday with everything on site then being honest this is the place for you! All in all though I couldn't really fault the place.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Cheryl.mark 90 reviews from this member

Just spent 5 nights over the Easter break. Been 2 years ago and nothing much has changed, the pool has had a bit of a revamp but its not much different than before and the water was too cold for us to enjoy it which was a shame. The site in parts needs a revamp as its looking tired, the area across the bridge where the Mash and Barrel pub is needs revamping. The touring site is really nice but they are close together, the toilet block is faultless. The beach is a good walk away but lovely. We have outdone our days at Haven sites as our girls are getting too old now so we now prefer quieter sites with more space. We have had a lovely break but wont be returning to this site again as we have seen others in the area that we prefer.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Fife-bloke 12 reviews from this member

Lovely holiday park, loads to do for the kids and lovely walks along the coastal path to the beach. Facilities are really good, and more than enough shops etc although a bit pricey for the basics. However a 3 mile 5 minute trip gets to into town for the local supermarkets.

We didn't do any of the entertainment as it isn't really our thing and we preferred to go into town in the evenings, so can't comment on that.

Static we had was really clean and modern and would have owned that myself any day of the week. The only let down regarding the park was every time we tried to book an activity for my son it was usually full, except for days we already had other things booked and paid for(the mountain train and electric mountain for example) and could t cancel or change them.

But all in all a great park, really clean and would highly recommend.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kays caravan sites 4 reviews from this member

Fantastic touring site with all pitches beautifully laid out.

Some are larger than others even though the warden insisted they were all the same size. I think she was referring to the hard standing only, but I was referring to the entire pitch. Some have no grass at all at the side, others have more and some are massive.

We were advised as a previous person noted, that we had pitched over the grass even though we had no wheels or legs on the grass, and had to move. I think it would have been better had she advised us of this before we pitched up. We understood why, as she explained that the grass may die if covered even though we were only there for a few days. What we didn`t understand was why this wasn`t enforced by everyone as she said nothing to our neighbours who even put their legs down on the grass and were there for 5 nights.

The toilets and showers are fantastic with just a small complaint in that there is nowhere to put your toiletries while showering and they are push button and last for 10 seconds. We all timed them.

We joined family in a static caravan, and so went in school holidays but even so I think 65 per night is really too high.

It is a massive site with lots of activities of which the only thing free is the fun pools and entertainment. Everything else is really pricey such as 16 each for the high ropes.

There are three Spar shops on the site and they are competitively priced. The one near to the tourers is the largest.

There is a beach on the site which is a 20 minute stroll from your pitch.

However, all things considered we would return to this touring site but not at peak times when the pitch price is not so expensive. Some people we chatted to only paid 11 per night for the same time that we were there because they had booked 12 months in advance and for four weeks. So that is the plan next year. Even if we didn`t use it for the full month it works out cheaper. Sounds like I am a cheapskate but I begrudge paying that price when other sites are as good for no where near even half price.

We only went to join family but did really like it.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sue5811 1 review from this member

We have just returned from 8 nights staying at this site just before the half term week.

Upon arrival you have to wait at the entrance to be shown to your pitch, we arrived at 11 check in was from 12, normally you would be allowed on early however we had to wait until 12 even though the pitch was empty - can't complain about that though our fault for being early. The warden greeted us and was very helpful, they are very strict on how you position your caravan we had to move ours by 2' even though we were just starting to set up inside - however it's suck a beautiful well maintained site I can see why.

All the pitches are hard standing and flat with gravel/slate for the awning. As the wardens don't like you to overhang the grass at the back it means the front of your van (if long) has to overhang the parking bit of the road, it's a shame they didn't make the pitches slightly bigger to prevent this - ours is only single axle. Next to your awning is a nice grass area too for sitting out on so I actually felt like the pitches were quite spacious and not on top of each other.

We don't use the toilet block however I always like to have a look at them, these were spotless and modern couldn't fault them.

We used the club one night which was fine, same as any other Haven really. We didn't use any of the restaurants. We did use the swimming pool a lot, we loved it. First couple of times we could use the baby pool which is all 0. 4m deep with little slides in it and a raft thing for them to climb on, best baby/toddler pool I've ever been in. At first the wave pool was closed as it looked as though they were re grouting the tiles, when that one opened though the baby pool then shut much to my daughters disappointment. I'm not too sure why, perhaps they didn't have enough life guards. The life guards actually are really good, always watching very attentive there has to be about 5 on duty at a time due to the shape of the pool. The rapids were good we enjoyed those.

The whole area is lovely, we'd never been to Wales before, we actually wished we had gone for longer. Black Rock sands beach is the best beach to go to in my opinion, you can drive on to the beach and then set up next to your car, my better than having to cart all your stuff from the car to the beach.

Overall this is a lovely park, the touring feels a bit separate to the other site but I like this however it's close to all facilities even for younger kids to walk. I would definitely recommend and I would go back, I've done this site, caister, wild duck, reightin sands and Perran sands and this is by far the best one.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: GCMS2012 6 reviews from this member

Booked a chalet on this site through The Sun newspapers 9. 50 holidays as a short - early in the season long weekend break.

On arrival, we were given the keys and shown by the helpful reception staff on a map where to go.

You have to park in a car park next to the chalet park and take your stuff from the car to the chalet from there. There was a service road through the middle of the chalets, but guests are not allowed to use it. Shame really when you may have many bags to shift.

The site, was clean and litter free. It was raining heavily when we arrived and there was no surface water lying anywhere, so it looks like the ground could handle it.

The chalet was spotlessly clean, but was very dated looking. It had the odd paint splash here and there, and on furniture too sadly that made the age of them stand out even more.

Electric panel heaters for heating the two bedrooms, an electric fan heater type fire in the living / dining room and an electric towel radiator in the bathroom, and did a very good job at keeping everyone warm at night.

Our bed was clean but wasn't very comfortable, felt worn out and lumpy. When you've got back problems, you notice this. The duvet / quilt only just covered you both once in bed too. Don't know what the kids beds were like though as they never said anything.

The shower cubicle in the bathroom was tiny, in the corner of the bathroom, about a metre square and only about 2m high. I'm 5'10, so it felt cramped when I used it. But you could get it nice and hot though.

By the time we got settled on our first night, it was getting on, and so decided to have a meal at the on site pub, 'The Mash & Barrel'.

Or maybe not, we looked at the menu and thought it was very expensive!

Went to JD Wetherspoons 'Pen Cob' in Pwhelli instead. Only 5 minutes in the car, and it's about half the price.

And by the looks of it, many others from the site had the same idea. As you had to display an entrance / exit card in your car from the Haven site, we saw many of these cards in other cars next to the Wetherspoons.

The Spar shops on the site too are expensive, but fortunately never needed to use them.

Never used the site parks / amusements, or night time entertainment facilities even though we did buy the 'passes' as a 'just in case'.

The wife and kids used the pool though in the morning of leaving day before we left. She said it was cold, except for the 'rapids'.

We used the park as a base to explore the area. And there's masses of things to do in North Wales we think.

So buying the passes was a 'lesson learned', you don't need them as there's plenty to do off site around North Wales.

The Highland Railway and 'Electric Mountain' are two examples of what we did. There's still loads more to do here but we were only here for the weekend.

And so, would we return? It's a maybe from us.

A bit on the expensive side if you did pay full whack for what you get we think.

Previous     45 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Gwynedd

Win an Outwell Sleeping Package worth over 399 Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to 175!

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire
Save 20 on a weekend's camping with masses to do ...more

Play the UKCampsite.co.uk
Easter Hunt

Easter Hunt

Follow the clues, find the answer, and win a fantastic Easter prize - a TV / DVD Combo worth 399!