Visitor Reviews - Willows Rustic Camping And Caravaning

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > London > Site Reviews

Willows Rustic Camping And Caravaning

Fishing <10 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  11 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: 27grace 1 review from this member

The wood fired stove area made for a very authentic camping experience. It was fun to get wood and make a fire. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would go back again. The person in charge was very friendly. The location was great and there were many nearby trails. Very satisfying experience overall! :)

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Ratty 189 reviews from this member

I returned here after three years and nothing has changed at all, although they did have a warden staying on site this time.

Calling it Willows Rustic is just an excuse for a very basic site with facilities that work but are nothing to write home about.

We were charged £10 per person per night and the dog was free. We were offered the loan of a fire pit and to purchase wood however we had our own, and she still charged us £5 for the privilege, ďfor the insuranceĒ, we should have purchased her wood and and saved ours, I doubt it was much more than £5. We were also told we could not gather wood from the fences or surrounding areas, yet others were doing this all night and were left alone and not challenged.

On arrival we were told that dogs must be on a lead, however as soon as we arrived a dog from another pitch ran across the campsite and started hassling ours, nothing was done.

The warden told us two big groups were arriving later on and had booked each corner and she tried to put us right by the entrance, pitched in front of a seasonal caravan that was empty for the night. We asked for a space around the edge in the middle of the two groups which she reluctantly gave us. One group arrived and the other didnít show, I wonder why were not favoured with a decent pitch in the corner. However we made do with our pitch and it had views of the rolling fields or looking the other way into the site to view the row of seasonal caravans.

The site however was quiet and there were around 6 groups all with fires and it was real back to basics camping, lovely to watch the kids play, smoke rising from the fires and generally a relaxed site.

The toilets were the same as three years ago, just a few toilets, quite open, quite small, but they did the job. Take your own toilet paper though. There was a shower, however I didnít use it as only there for a night. Fresh water points around the site.

There is The Owl round the corner, two minutes walk, but we didnít use it.

Close to London and Epping Forest for days out.

Yes I would go again, but I feel £10 per person is too much for whatís on offer.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Nastyfox 1 review from this member

A couple weeks ago and friend and I decided we wanted to go camping for two nights in the first week of October. Our usual spot was closed for the season. We really wanted to camp somewhere which wasnít overly commercialised. After searching online for locations in Loughton we came across the Willows Rustic Camping. The name alone held some appeal, so I gave them a call and the owner was happy for us to come the next day with doggy.

We got a bit lost on the way there. (Top Tip: if you find the Owl Pub youíre in the right area). Iíd suggest you make note of the directions before you leave as you might find it difficult to get data services running whilst driving in the country side. Yes, I do mean country side. Within minutes from Loughton we found ourselves driving along scenic country roads. The owner very kindly guided us on our way, met us at the entrance to the site and helped us to get settled. She also came back make sure we were okay, and to tell us about the many walking routes and things to do in the area.

The campsite was just what we needed; plenty of space with beautiful views and campfire pitches. The view of the horses in paddocks across the way added to the landscape. A few of natureís little pets came scurrying around for a visit. Doggy had a great time too investigating the trees and horses. One morning a dense mist had descended on the whole site. I was transfixed and sat for ages outside my tent just watching until it lifted away. There were a few other people staying in touring vehicles and caravans, a friendly bunch.

The site has a water tap, showers and a toilet, which are basic but kept clean, near the entrance. They were just a stoneís throw from our pitch. This was a nice touch considering it was rustic camping. Although I have to admit, we didn't make use of the showers. That would've been cheating lol!

We read on the website that no wood was to be taken off the site. This actually worked in our favour, since usually campsites force you to buy wood on arrival. To find wood, we took a short drive and parked up on the side of the road. Thereíre fallen trees and dry wood almost anywhere you park. We managed to find loads of wood for our campfire.

We absolutely adore this campsite. All in all, it was a lovely experience and Iíd highly recommend a visit if you want to really feel in touch with nature. We plan on going back later in the season with a few more friends.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Band Camp 1 review from this member

My self and my friend stayed at the Willows Rustic Camping,
We found the owner very welcoming.

The facilities were very clean, and we were impressed with the site. The owner made us feel very welcome and even came out to the road to greet us as we missed the site entrance a few times.

The campsite is very clean, the views are amazing and it's so peaceful. After we set up the tent the owner came back down to let us know what was in the area and if we needed anything else.

The Owl Pub is literally 5 minutes walk up the road. We will be definitely coming back.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fionasuewright 1 review from this member

Nice little site if you only want a couple of nights.

Very basic and rustic which was exactly what myself, my partner and my son wanted.

We had a tent, easy to pitch group was a little bumpy but we had airbeds so no problem.

Found the site very easy although it is set back from the road a little but we saw the sign.

Pub the owl literally 5 mins walk.

The taxi firm at the train station which my partner used are used to the site, just say willows farm, near the owl pub. They actually drove a couple of other campers right onto the field itself. Only £7. 50.

Toilets and showers- hot water in the showers but I didn't actually use it as a shower ( I'm a little grossed out by public showers).

Toilets weren't the cleanest but they did the job.

Someone previous said about the helicopters nearby. We heard one or two go up early evening- wasn't too loud. None during the night.

The only let down the entire weekend was the very large group of mid 20s early 30s that arrived last night (Saturday night) very foul language, up until 3am+ drinking, throwing up, wandering around the field and being very loud (We were on the opposite side of the field and I could still hear EVERY word!) Wasn't pleasant and if my son had not slept through I would of spoken to them as the topics of discussion were disgusting!

They also left the sunday morning leaving behind a pop up tent and various cans etc around the field.

But I would not let one group spoil the site.

Although I personally would probably not go back, that is not due to the site itself- more the lack of shops. Walking to loughton just to get milk etc, not suitable for me. (30+ mins)

Oh and a final point, I found the pricing a little steep for such a rustic site.

Selling it as a basic site, the price should also be basic. £10 per adult per night and £5 per child per night- that's a bit much.

And take your own firewood.

Reviewer: Brollymum 1 review from this member

I have just got back from this friendly campsite. The owner was friendly and helpful despite a last minute booking, the rates seem to have gone down since last listed: Adults £7. 50, children under 12: £4, and a firepit £10 (bring your own wood/charcoal).

It IS difficult to find, but ring the owner and she'll come out and guide you in.

It is basically a small single field surrounded by hedgerows, with a lovely view of horses in paddocks and a simple but clean toilet/shower block with warm water. Kids played happily together in the field and it was quiet in the evening.

UNTIL the helicopters started up. It is situated less than half a mile away from a Police Helicopter base, and maybe we were unlucky, but from before midnight until 5 in the morning I couldn't get off to sleep for one after yet another helicopters starting up and flying over around every 20 minutes it seemed, one of the worst night's sleep of my life, and I normally sleep soundly in a busy urban area. I have to say the kids amazingly didn't wake up.

Other than that, it was a lovely place, such a shame about the helicopters. We would have stayed a second night but I am desperate for more than 2 hours sleep!

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ratty 189 reviews from this member

We visited Willows as meeting friends from London. When I first arrived, I couldn't find the place, which may add to its charm, and my advice for anyone visiting: as you drive toward The Owl pub, from the M25 side, just before the pub you will see a sign for The Elms, turn left down there, then do not turn into Elms, instead go straight down the lane and the large sign for Willows is found.

The gates and toilets are all security locked and you need to call the owner to let you in and get the codes. Phone reception was very limited for me, so I would suggest phoning when you are five minutes away and still have reception. The owner was very friendly, however is strict on rules, which is a good thing.

Once through the gate, you have a large hardstanding area for caravans etc, however the jewel for me is the camping field. Turn right down the lane and you are welcomed by a huge open field. If you want electric there are four hookup points, but you will be next to others. If you can live without the electric, then you have the pick of the field. There is not a lot here except peace and quiet, a field, fresh water, chemical disposal point, a few toilets and showers.

The toilets and showers are housed in a shed type building and whilst may not be the most up to date or finished to a high standard, they work, there is hot water, there are mirrors and sinks. They are all clean and none of our group had an issue with them, although I could see that some might not like them. The showers were just cubicles, so take a carrier bag or two to put your clothes and shoes in.

This site is next door to the police helicopter base and from time to time the siren would go off and then a few minutes later the sound of a helicopter fired up and took off, quite good fun to watch and we did not hear any during the night, but they might run all night.

The Owl pub is next door however we did not visit it, but it looked nice when driving past and has a large garden.

Loughton tube is about 3.5 miles away if you fancy a trip to London.

Epping Forest is on the doorstep and the whole area is full of great walks, cycling opportunities, riding stables and a ten minute drive away you have Cheshunt with all the mainstream shops and out of town stores.

We took our own firepit and they had no problems with us using it, however they insist you bring your own wood. There were quite a few pre-made fire areas on the site, surrounded by bricks, which they are happy for you to use, but again you must bring your own wood.

I loved this site, very basic facilities, but all working, nothing to do here but relax and enjoy real camping, it reminds me of when I started camping 40 years ago and sites like this were everywhere.

One downfall for me are the costs, they charge £10 per adult, £5 per child between 4 and 12 years old and £5 if you wish to have electric. We were advised a £10 charge for the hire of a fire pit, however we took our own. If they reduced the prices to £5 per adult, or at the most £7.50 per adult, then I would visit this site time and time again.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Amilynh 6 reviews from this member

The Willows site is a beautiful and peaceful setting. Owner was very helpful in showing up to guide us to our pitch, and was available by phone, but we did not see her again after our arrival. It was nice to be on our own, but know we could reach her if needed.

As another reviewer mentioned, one has to go past The Owl and into the entrance to The Elms to get to the site, and the signage is not visible from the road. If one were arriving by car with these instructions, it would likely go well. For us, without a car, it was a bit pricy to get a cab to and from the Loughton station every day (#6-7 each way), and that was the only transport location into London.

The setting of The Willows is lovely and peaceful, and it is nice to wake up to see the horses next to us and to be back from the road. There is a lock on the gate into the property, so I felt secure leaving our clothes and tent while we went into the city each day.

The showers are quite functional, but it's hard to get dressed without a seat or somewhere without a muddy floor. We managed by rinsing one foot at a time in the sinks. The toilet is a bit cramped, but was tidy enough. Our major complaint was the lack of toilet paper at any time during our stay, but we solved this by getting and carrying with us toilet paper of our own. The toilet and shower block is quite far from the tent pitches, making nighttime trips a bit difficult, but that is manageable with planning and knowledge of it.

It's a beautiful area and a rustic site, and if that is your plan, it is a very comfortable location.

Date of Visit: October 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: M_com 1 review from this member

Lovely campsite setting, beautiful and peaceful looking. Close to the woods, there's a lovely looking pub nearby.

The campsite itself felt makeshift. And this is a comment from someone who likes very basic sites.

The facilities were very basic/messy, and very few and not very clean.

Also, we couldn't leave any rubbish, there was no bin. This was probably because we were outside of the busy season.

We were told there were two parties that night, but were assured they would stop at midnight. One of them did, the other went on all night. Loud dance music. There was no enforcement of the 'quiet at midnight' rule. We ended up leaving at 5am after no real sleep.

Make sure you ask if there are any parties booked for the time of your stay if you still want to go to this site.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Campingnewgirl 5 reviews from this member

My mum booked us a weekend stay here last year. I don't know if she read the rustic part of the description, but this site is beyond basic!

The grass was far too long to pitch properly.

The toilet was disgusting, clearly hadn't been cleaned recently.

The shower was also in the same room as the toilet, which could be a problem.

There were no washing up facilities.

So, if its rustic, basic camping that you are after, this site would be perfect.

Previous     11 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in London

Win a Broadlands 5A Inflatable Tent Bundle worth over £885 Win an OLPRO Shade Campervan Canopy worth £119

UKCS Meet The VolksWorld Show 23rd to 24th March, Surrey