Reviews of Delamere Forest Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Cheshire > Northwich > Delamere Forest Camping And Caravanning Club Site Reviews

Delamere Forest Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  125 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Our site is opening in line with government guidance and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilet / shower facilities will be open. Some communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Wetwellies 8 reviews from this member

A pleasant site with lovely surroundings for children. My friend and I took our boys of five and two.

The good : Friday chippy van had huge portions, and tasted delicious. Super location for the forest and associated activities in the area, we did the crocky trail and Beeston castle. Both amazing. Site quiet for traffic and well maintained.

Rope swings in woods on site and lots of small clearings to explore that we considered to be the top feature of the site. Toilets very clean throughout stay. Wardens seemed OK generally, one older gentleman was lovely. Shop has milk, ice cream and other camping essentials.

Could be better : showers really, really hot which suits me but I wouldn't use for children. Code accessed toilets which was a major inconvenience as it isn't an easy code to remember like a significant date, and a hassle when you're wrestling with the a small child.

Really comes across as unwelcoming although I can understand that they don't want walkers using the facilities constantly. Fields and site generally pools with water quickly when it rains and is waterlogged. More of a problem if you have a tent.

In summary, we loved it for a few days and would go back for a week but it lacked a certain something for a longer stay.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: RoamfromHome 25 reviews from this member

Excellent welcome from campsite warden Paul who couldn’t have been more friendly and helpful (an asset to the CCC team).

Well maintained, comfortable site with adequate, clean facilities even when full at the weekend.

Lots to see and do in immediate and surrounding area.

Date of Visit: April 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Nights stayed: 6 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Sandgrounder52 12 reviews from this member

We are leaving today after 6 nights on a hardstanding pitch.

The site is easy to access, directly off a B road, right next to Delamere Station. No single track roads or potholes! Pitches are mainly flat and are well spaced giving both privacy and a sense of openness. The site is the shape of a long thin triangle. We were offered 2 locations: near the road or alongside the railway line. I thought the road was quite busy so we went for the railway line side.

Although the trains were quite loud, they aren’t frequent and I didn’t find them bothersome (possibly because I have lived close to railway lines). I was surprised at how loud the planes coming into Manchester Airport were. That did wake me up a couple of times.

I have read some reviews about problems with the attitude of the wardens. Everyone we interacted with was helpful and friendly.

The facilities are good. Not outstanding (a couple of minor plumbing issues which could do with attention) but modern, warm and clean. I like a hot shower but the water is VERY hot. Parents might be concerned about the temperature.

The location is excellent. The only downside is there are no shops in the immediate vicinity. There is a bus to Frodsham from Hatchmere (about a mile walk away) and the train to Chester / Manchester is literally next door.

There is pedestrian access directly from the site into the Delamere Forest for walks and cycling. We caught the bus to Frodsham then walked back via the Sandstone Trail. Around 10 miles. There is a pleasant, well surfaced route around Blakemere Moss (a lake) which is around 3 miles door to door from the site. If you have a car, there are lots of walks available based upon the Sandstone Trail and the Delamere Way.

I thought the site had a very nice atmosphere. There were less children than I was expecting but those that were here seemed to be having a great time. Lots of families cycling together. I didn’t see a children’s play area but it isn’t really needed with the proximity of the forest. Overall, the site is quite quiet (especially at night when everyone seemed to have lights out by about 9pm).

I enjoyed my stay and would recommend it to walkers and cyclists.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Dawnyowl2905 28 reviews from this member

We’ve stayed at this site loads of times as we visit family close by. The site is lovely and exactly what is expected of a Camping and Caravan Club site. However, this is the first time in all my Motorhome travels that I have taken a dislike to one of the wardens.

We arrived early as we had an appointment to keep and whilst we knew that we may not be able to book in we still asked politely if we could leave our Motorhome anywhere. Now in my opinion there’s ways and means of saying no but the abrupt rudeness of the chap was quite shocking. We were told in no uncertain terms that there was nowhere on site nor was there any alternative parking nearby. Having gone to our appointment in the Motorhome we returned later to book in.

The next day whilst waiting for the showers to open after they are closed for cleaning I saw the same chap wandering around the site. It was 20 minutes to the showers being opened but I know that on other sites they get opened early once they are finished. I politely asked if the showers were open yet to which I received a blunt “12. 30” grunt from him. Again it would have been nice if he had engaged in a little more.

The same chap came round with a clip board each day bang on 12. 00 to check that people had left on time. Now I’m not one for overstaying but he scared us enough to make sure we were clock watching on our day of departure.

We moved on to another camping and caravan club site the next day where we were allowed to leave our Motorhome before booking in and the showers opened early the next day.

Suggest they employ people in future who have the ability to engage with us general public in a friendly manner. It wasn’t what he said but the way he said it - he really needs to practice his “people skills”.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Arcadia 11 reviews from this member

Mixed feelings about this site.

+ves:

Easy access by rail to Chester, Liverpool etc

Nice walks

Nearby cafes both nice

-ves:

The manager was a bit stand offish and avoided eye contact on many occasions (the others were nicer)

Far too few showers for a site as busy as this and too few grey water draining areas

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: ZIZAG 28 reviews from this member

Well what can I say that has already been said, before. As I arrived backpacking from the Sandstone trail and was well looked after given a lovely pitch for the night, at a very reasonable price

Top class site everything for a nice stay.

Staff are very friendly and attentive. The campsite

Well laid out and all facilities and amenities, Spotless clean well looked after toilets and showers, shop has basic selection of food and drinks.

Information and leaflets to peruse. Lovely walks all around the forest and visitors centre about 1k with cafe. The added bonus is the CCC is close to the Rail service to Chester and close to Sandstone trail, handy for walkers backpacking and camping.

I would highly recommend this Campsite

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Jed and Mag Morg 17 reviews from this member

Lovely welcome on arrival. Good sized hard standings for caravans. We had bikes with us and really enjoyed the direct access to the trails in Delamere forest.

All facilities very clean and contrary to what it says in the handbook we obtained excellent TV reception using our standard van top aerial.

We went by train to Chester on one day using the handy train stop just adjacent to the site. On site it was generally quiet just a small amount of sound from occasional trains and road. Plenty of good dog walking available.

Overall very nice if you want a break away from the hustle and bustle. You will need to cycle or drive off site to get to the nearest shops or village. Very relaxing and would return again.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Crazy Maisie 10 reviews from this member

Spent one night here whilst visiting family in the area. It's next to a busy B road but fairly quiet traffic sound wise at night. Very friendly, helpful and welcoming wardens gave a good feel to the site. Pitch (on hardstanding) was level but as it had been raining rather a lot it was a bit muddy underfoot.

Toilets and shower blocks clean and plentiful. Pot wash also very clean and warm. The site is 250 mtrs walk (no footpath) to a train station, we didn't hear the trains but we walked to the cafe at the station which sells a good variety of cakes, snacks, ice creams and meals - a nice distraction on a rainy day. The forest looked very appealing for exploring/walking so we'll come back to this very nice and welcoming site to sample the forest in the future and maybe take a train to Chester or Manchester.

Date of Visit: February 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Purplebonnie 10 reviews from this member

We have just returned from an 8 night stay here. A great site in a great location. The forest can be accessed direct from the site on foot and on bike. I would recommend a walk or cycle from the site via the lake to the visitors centre at the centre of the forest. We have a 3 year old who loved the location too, the walks and cycling. The Gruffalo walk was excellent and just long enough for the little one to manage. I would recommend The Vale Royal Abbey Arms (turn right out of the campsite about 2 miles down the road) food was excellent and reasonable price, will be lovely to sit outside in the better weather.

The site itself was great, kept very tidy, staff very helpful and friendly. Happy to let the kids play ball games on the field as it was empty of tents etc. Lots of wildlife to watch from the caravan. For us the only downside was the closeness to the road which is well used and fast moving, Delamere station is located just behind the site, this is great for anyone wanted to explore further afield as trains run to Manchester and Chester, however the downside to this was the noise of the trains into the early hours. Neither of these would put us off returning as the location is excellent but we would be conscious of the pitch we would select if given an option next time.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Whale61 4 reviews from this member

I camped here for just the one night and found it to be the cleanest campsite that I have stayed at. The reception seemed to stock the essentials and the campsite was well laid out. I intend to revisit the area for longer sometime and this is the site I will choose.

Previous     125 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Delamere Forest Camping And Caravanning Club Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Delamere Forest Camping And Caravanning Club Site?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Delamere Forest Camping And Caravanning Club Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Northwich      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cheshire

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 28/06
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more