Reviews of Namparra Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Helston > Namparra Campsite Reviews

Namparra Campsite
Kuggar
Helston
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR12 7LY

Open: Eaer Until Oct 31

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar On Site   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 No Playground   TV Room   Games Room   No Evening Ents
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   No Boat Launch
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  43 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Kernowcamper 2 reviews from this member

A basic field where you can space out and light a fire at night if you want; great.

It's a short drive or 25 minute walk through woods to a decent beach, and you're well placed to drive to and explore other beaches on the lizard.

Mostly lovely and quiet and dark at night; no traffic noise but there was some noise from people in a different campsite the other side of some trees.

The toilet/shower sheds are basic and functional. Unfortunately they did become very dirty; we arrived on a Tuesday when they were in a reasonable state but then they were not cleaned until Friday. It's not just a case to use the (totally inadequate) mops provided; the toilets themselves became pretty filthy with dried on urine and the like, there was mould and algae present. The sinks were really dirty. Take your own supply of loo roll as they run out, and this was not even at a busy time.

The best place to camp is around the edge of the field, but beware the smelly ditch which also runs around the edge!. Especially down from the toilets.

I would go here again as it has the plain field environment and the ability to have campfires that we really like. The price is very good too. But it would really really help if the toilet sheds were cleaned every day.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Dan Baker 4 reviews from this member

Just had a long weekend at Namparra and really enjoyed it.

If you want manicured lawn then this is not the place for you, if you want a pitch where you're not hassled, can light a fire or have some craic in the bar over a local ale then book now. We had a pitch with a hook up but there are plenty without. There are goats, pigs, hens, turkeys etc. For kiddie interest. We spent a great evening playing 3 dimensional connect four whilst having a drink in the Cowshed Bar, the local Serpentine ale was delicious! The owners try to make sure you to have a good time without being intrusive - it was great.

To all those below who moan about clean toilets it's easy: there are mops and buckets provided, leave it as you would hope to find it.

Reviewer: Samallen 5 reviews from this member

Quite a basic campsite but just what we were looking for. There aren't any specific pitches, you just turn up and pitch your tent where there is a space. The only exception being the electric hook up points which are along one site of the field. Part of the field is on quite a steep slope.

Toilets and showers are basic but do the job -located in wooden sheds at one end of the field.

There is a bar (former cow shed) on the farmstead at the entrance to the site. There is a pool table, dart board etc. Occasionally bands also perform.

Good location if you want to be close to the beach - just a short walk down the hill.

Poor phone reception (good for the adults but not for our teenage daughter!)

Would go again.

Reviewer: Kittiwillow 3 reviews from this member

Have read a few negative comments about this site but we've been here two years running now and we're coming back for our third this summer.

Yes, the facilities are basic but I've always found them more than adequate and I've always seen a cleaner at least once a day, sometimes twice. The toilets do get grassy but using the bucked and mop provided doesn't intrude much on a holiday spent under canvass. Never had a problem with dogs or dog mess on the site either.

The toilets and showers are housed in several garden sheds down one side of the field as is the washing up room and the laundry room. There's a trampoline for the kids (my daughter loved nothing more than waking up in the morning and bouncing in her pjs) and everyone loves saying hello to the pigs and goats on their way up the path.

The Cowshed bar is a godsend in bad weather with boardgames and a place to sit and spend time with the kids on a wet afternoon with local scrumpy, hot chocolate and kids' cocktails from the bar.

We've always found the owners helpful and friendly. Don't be tempted by the bright lights of the well-equipped site next door - you'll get a warmer welcome and a better stay at Namparra.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Studio1one 1 review from this member

We really liked this place but I can see how it wouldn't be some peoples cup of tea. If you want 'glamping' caravans, motorhomes or any kind of organisation I would go somewhere else. If you want an informal site in a good location then go for it.

You get a field, some toilets and showers and a scruffy but friendly and quirky bar in an old barn, serving decent local brews.

We were with 2 dogs, 6 adults and 8 kids and found it perfect. No rows of designated pitches where you have to pitch where told, no wardens and no uptight people. Noise was not an issue, although people were up late around fires chatting and sometimes playing acoustic instruments it never got 'loud' just a friendly relaxed buzz.

Toilets and showers were ok. Little chalet (more shed actually) type wetrooms for the showers are a good idea but there were regularly longish queues and they could probably do with cleaning twice a day not once a day at the peak of season. The lack of tokens for hotwater however was a nice touch.

If they built a few more of them and cleaned them twice not once daily they would be perfect.

Kids had a great time, the trampoline near the showers becomes a good social focus and all ours made plenty of friends to hang around with and pass the time.

The beach is a little bit of a hike but you can cut through the bottom of the field and take a short cut down a footpath if you don't mind a little scramble and get there a lot quicker and without having to go on road. Once there the beach is really nice and the east side is dog friendly.

All in all if you like simple back to nature type camping you will like this, if you like Caravan Club sites you won't.

Reviewer: Jackarthur 6 reviews from this member

I will attempt to be balanced in this review.

My wife and our two children stayed at this site in August.

The entrance into the site is very untidy and the road is like pothole city! Every time I came in and out I was reminded of the film 'Deliverance'

The facilities are all fine and there was always hot water. Biggest problem for us (not mentioned in other reviews) was the curved field (like an upside down bowl). This was really bad if you were not privy to one of the pitches at the outside edge of the field.

Another problem was that some of these pitches were on boggy ground, many cars became stuck in the wet weather. I was amazed that some folk pitched up on these spots.

Something to consider with this shape field is you cannot see your children as they disappear over the crest!

There is a trampoline which is ok if you are camped near(and can see your kids).

We had a small potty in our tent, there is an emptying facility, but it is in an open position and stinks to high heaven, so don't pitch by the loos! Also don't let your kids go behind the shower block, which they can access easily, all the electrics are open.

My top annoyance though was the number of roaming dogs. Some reviews mention the lack of intrusion by the owners and this is true. The downside being many dog owners just let there dogs wander around the site and packs soon formed. Don`t get me wrong I am a dog lover, but seeing a pack of seven dogs making their way toward your child is a bit worrying. There was also lots of dog poo on the site.

The beach near the site is great, two cafes to choose from and a fifteen minute walk from the site.

It seems like I am having a good moan about the site, but I am writing as I found it and trying to be honest.

I left it for several weeks before writing this.

Despite my moans we had a good holiday, but we wont be back!

Reviewer: Andrewclan 3 reviews from this member

Set in a beautiful part of the world right at the end of the world, I had high hopes for this site. But I left feeling dissappointed.

Namparra is set in some stunning scenery, the beach being just a few mins car drive away down a steep incline or a 20 min hike. Its a lovely cove with lifeguards and shops and brilliant for body boarding etc. Lizard is just a few miles away and truly worth a visit, especially over its over commercialised cousin Lands end.

Lizard is equipped with great shops and a lovely walk to the point where you can get a lovely cuppa and cream tea if you wish, cars can get down to the point though if walking an issue.

Surroundings were lovely so why was I disappointed? The campsite really left me feeling frustrated- it could be an amazing facility but its just appears to be run in a very slapdash manner. Right from the confused start to our stay when our pre booked electric pitches weren't available next to each other, to the overlooked cleaning of the toilet and wash facilities. It all needed some TLC.

Without rambling on, the positive points were-

Great location, relaxed pitching, opportunity to have campfires, excellent price, great wet rooms chalet style available with free hot water ( when it worked!)

Negative points- constant confusion over pitches- we squeezed onto 1 pitch with my fathers caravan, the electric pitches were over booked and led to lots of issues. Electrics tripped a couple of times and went off completely at one point, which was possibly rain, but not helped by the triple splitter they had in use to provide electric to the overused pitches.

Toilet and wet rooms never seemed clean even though they said they had a cleaner, I don't expect immaculate on a muddy campsite, but unblocked sinks, empty bins and some soap available isnt rocket science.

They also had a major issue with the boiler keep going out so 50% of the time there was no hot water. The owners really didn't make themselves available at all, in fact the longest chat we had with one of them was on our day of packing up! He asked if we would come again and we said no.

It really wouldn't take much to make this a great site- the field although not terribly flat is a good space but as our week went on it was filled in the centre with lots of tents which led to major queues at the loos in the morning, there being 1 each in the 4 wet rooms and 2 separate ones- not many for a full campsite of this size.

We stayed for our week give or take a day due to weather and had a good time despite our issues, many other campers didn't hang around which is a real shame and I felt that if a little TLC was shown there would have been some very happy campers.

In conclusion I suppose the old adage applies- you get what you pay for- this site is a great price- 17. 50 a night with EH with a family of 5, but I will be paying more and going elsewhere next year.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Monkeysteve1978 1 review from this member

Short review:

Namparra has great character, Owners are really friendly and helpful. Campfires allowed. There are pigs, goats, chickens, and you can feed the pig by the entrance. Fantastic Cowshed bar very reasonably priced drinks. Music. 15 mins walk from beach. 4 mins from the postcard village of Cadwidth. 5 mins drive from the lizard and Kynance cove (one of the lovlyest beaches you will visit) 10-15 mins away from Helston and the famous Blue Anchor Pub. Lands End, St Ives, Penzance not too far.

Longer Review:

First stayed here in May with my girlfriend. Liked it so much went back in summer and set to return this year.

For me It is what I call proper camping. Camp fire, nice area, the great outdoors, good pub.

Namparra doesn't pretend to be anything and is not generic like most campsites that make you feel like you could be anywhere.

Its a good honest fun site with its own identity.

May not be for all. If you want a more clinical camping experience, gravel track road, uniformed pitches in blocks, pristine lawns, then its not for you.

I certainly would not say the entrance reminds you of the film deliverance perhaps some people just have high standards.

I like the fact that you can pitch where you like and your not just given 'pitch 9' etc. The camping field is large, hook ups on one side. There is another field opened for adults in summer as far is I'm aware but I camp by the stream at the bottom anyway which was quiet. It is a bit lumpy and if it rained lots you could get stuck but I am sure the owners would just help you out. It didn't feel lumpy when I slept in my tent.

They could do with more showers but I just waited for less busy times and if I wanted the loo that bad just popped over to the Cowshed bar round the corner.

Toilets and showers were clean and in good condition.

The Cowshed bar earning its name from the fact it was a cowshed in a former life is great. The drinks were very cheap and they sell local ale, mead, and cider. Music is sometimes put on and they have a pool table and dart board.

There is much to do in the area. I visit poldark mine, penzance, St ives, Kynance cove, there was never any shortage of things to do.

I highly recommend this campsite.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Gurun72 4 reviews from this member

A sloping, rutted field with minimal facilities - which would be fine if I had been walking with my backpacking tent but this is not how it is advertised.

No hardstanding and no metalled road on the camping area. We were stuck and had to be pushed out by other poor unfortunates that were camping there. Another couple in a motorhome were going to have to be pulled out by a tractor.

They agreed to refund us with little fuss as we managed to find another campsite nearby. Staff are friendly enough but the 'cow shed' is scruffy and the play area looks like something out of a Terminator movie with doll's body parts strewn everywhere.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Campavanman 5 reviews from this member

Very rural location, so be prepared for hilly walking and cycling. Not far from Kennack Sands beach, which is approximately 25 mins walk. Good for site seeing sround the Lizard area and good access to coastal paths.

Friendly owners and a good welcoming, the site pitching is quite informal and basically find you own pitch, which we liked! Chimeneras are dotted around the field and great for log fires, logs can be purchased on site at a fair price, remember to take some news paper or firelighters though!

Some minor noise with music from the site next door, but nothing too bad. The only thing that let the site down was that the toilet / shower facilities would benefit from regular cleaning as they were quite grimy during the whole of our stay.

Overall, would visit again.

Previous     43 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Namparra Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Namparra Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Namparra Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Helston      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cornwall (West)

UKCS Meet Caravan and Motorhome Show Stratford 23/07 to 25/07
New and used motorhomes & campervans with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021