Reviews of Namparra Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Helston > Namparra Campsite Reviews

Namparra Campsite
Kuggar
Helston
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR12 7LY

Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   No Boat Launch
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  43 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Jimmy+Claire 2 reviews from this member

Friendly enough greeting, but dog mess and empty beer cans littered the pitch. Remains of previous fires scar the other wise good field.

Onto the other facilities.

Toilets - filthy and flooded and not very private or secure.

Utility room appeared to have all requirements met but with the bonus of other people’s dirty dishes, with the leftovers still there for your enjoyment, as were the empty cans & bottles. Lovely.

With the tune “Duelling banjos” playing in my head, we advised the reception “team” we wouldn’t be staying. No response as they were too busy eating their bacon butty whilst puffing heavily on their vape.

Did this site really make the Guardian’s best list???

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Fran1000 12 reviews from this member

We liked the sound of this site, and booking was easy - we rang and left a message, they rang back and confirmed that they had room for us.

It was easy to find, and access is good. Until you get past the bungalow and on to the rutted, potholed track that leads to the camping field (watch out for chickens, goats and rabbits). The track took us past a field with some rather lovely Kune Kune pigs, and then past a field that that was home to what looked like the trailer of an articulated lorry, plus a heap of old sofas and armchairs and lots of sodden, rotting, hay bales.

The camping field is level along one edge, where the EHUs are, and gently slopes elsewhere. It has lovely views. It also has grass left rather too long, and the grass between the EHU pitches was a foot long and included nettles and ragwort. The camping field also appears to be used for caravan storage, or possibly abandonment: they were mostly filthy and covered with green stains.

The toilets and (free) showers were in sheds. The toilets needed a thorough clean, so we used the one in the van. I had a shower in one of the shower sheds though which are very spacious and like a wetroom, the shower isn't in a cubicle. The pressure was good and the hot water plentiful, but they need more hooks for clothes, towels etc as it's impossible to keep stuff dry. They also needed a makeover: the plastic curtain at the window was torn, the window frames had green mould growing on them, the toilet and sink desperately needed a good clean and the cobweb collection was huge. They could be lovely if given a makeover, and perhaps painted inside in outdoor paint.

There's another shed with washing machines and driers, but we didn't check these out. The bar we just found a bit weird, and we didn't use that either.

Fires and dogs are allowed, and although dogs are supposed to be kept on leads, the owners' dog seems to roam at will and therefore there was a fair bit of poo around.

As we were there after the end of the peak season, we made allowances for things being a bit run down and tired. With a bit more effort and maintenance, this could be a wonderful, quirky site and the location is excellent. It has a very free and easy vibe, I loved the animals roaming around, and the owners were very pleasant and friendly. Although we don't have children, I'd guess it's very child-friendly.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Petersdaughter 2 reviews from this member

We chose Namparra because it was one of The Guardian's top 10 campsites in Cornwall. It's hard to see why, we were disappointed and we won't be returning, which is a shame because there are many things to like about it.

We like its proximity to the beach, its rural nature, the lack of marked pitches, the fact that campers can have campfires, the chickens and rabbits, the pigs, the goats, the pond, the bats, the lack of rules, the indoor washing-up sinks, the communal campers' freezer, the friendliness of the staff and the informality. We also liked the very cheap rates - £16 per night for a tent with two adults - and we liked the Cow Shed Bar, and so did the staff.

Our first problem was the booking system: the website asked me to download a booking form and send it off with a cheque. I had a few questions so I tried to ring Namparra using the number on the website, but after about 20 attempts (over two months) I gave up as my calls just went to a mailbox which was full. I then emailed and received a very prompt response. The website says that Namparra would contact me to confirm my booking, but they never did, and three days before our holiday I had to contact them and ask them to confirm that my booking was secure.

The next problem is the rubbish. By Tuesday, the bulk bins were so full that the lids couldn't be closed but they weren't emptied until Thursday, by which time there was another two days' worth of rubbish piled up on the ground around them. It looked revolting and it was probably a health hazard, right next to the entrance to the camping field. They need to get more bins.

The showers: there are four wooden cabins, each a wet room containing a shower, a toilet, a sink and a chair. They are a comfortable size and it's an excellent idea as parents can take their children in with them. Sadly, it's not a well-executed idea as the drains are set too high so the water doesn't drain away, which means that there is always standing water on the floor. Mops and brooms are provided to sluice it out, but I didn't like standing in someone else's used shower water. The hot water had run out by bedtime on Saturday and the manager didn't replace the gas bottles until after 10am the following day, so lots of campers were complaining about cold showers. The showers are also not cleaned properly: I watched them being serviced at 11am one morning and went in straight afterwards: the toilet pan was very clean, the floor had been mopped and a spare toilet roll left on top of the wet cistern (yuck) but the outside of the toilet was dusty, the bin was still full and neither the sink nor the mirror had been cleaned. Not that the mirror mattered as they are set so high on the wall that I can only see my forehead in them, and I am 5'4' tall. Not very thoughtful, really. This cleaning routine was repeated at 11pm.

The toilets: apart from the toilets in the shower cubicles, there is a wooden cabin containing two toilets. That makes six toilets for the site, which isn't enough really and there were often queues. The space is very small and it would be difficult to take children in there. Again, the toilet pan is cleaned but the room isn't and the whole place stinks. I used the loo at 6am one morning and was surprised that the soap dispenser was empty as I had encountered the cleaners at 11pm the previous evening - they obviously hadn't filled it.

The Cow Shed Bar is a great facility with a pool table and resident chickens and dog. A roadside sign advertises a cooked breakfast served 8am-12 so we went across at 9am one morning to discover the place deserted. There were dirty glasses on the bar from the night before and the tables hadn't been wiped. A sign inside said that breakfast is served 10am-12. We went back at 9. 55am and there was still nobody there and no food, but staff arrived at 10am and told us that the man who cooks breakfast from 8am hadn't turned up, not for the first time. Somebody set to in the kitchen and we ate just after 10. 30am. The manager arrived at about 11am. The food was good and all-you-could-eat for £7, but I would rather have eaten earlier.

We saw the manager on the camping field twice in the week we were there: once on the first evening, inviting campers to an event in the bar, and once on the last morning, changing the gas bottles for the showers. Although he was genial, I didn't feel he was the least bit interested in me as a campsite guest or even customer. To be honest, it appeared that he and his staff were more interested in the bar than the campsite. Not that I want intrusion, but I do expect them to be interested in making sure that campers' needs are being met, because that's what campers are paying for.

As I said at the top, it's a shame because we would like to return, but I don't think Namparra is interested.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Smokey-is-no-more 1 review from this member

What a great field site. With our 26ft caravan and full awning, we booked an electric pitch of which there are only 9. It was a very large pitch as promised. The site is laid back and relaxing. Not one of those sites that has a thousand 'Do Not breath' rules. Best thing was the price - they charged us £19 a night for caravan, awning, 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 3 dogs with electric. Bargain.

Facilities are basic but that's all you need as a camper. If not then you best just book into a hotel and forget camping. There are toilets and decent FREE showers in little sheds with a great amount of FREE 24 hour hot water. There is a good washing up and also a freezer provided on the field for campers. They also have a nice bar area called the cow shed that do nice food. All has been great staying here.

The beach is a 15 minute walk or a 3 min car ride but we always venture further afield everyday for variety.

Phone reception was zero as was wifi but then again for a camping holiday that's perfect. Certainly recommend this site as a relaxed and care free place without the thousands of rule signs and twee picket fences.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: CornishMaid63 2 reviews from this member

Another lovely relaxing stay at this site that I have been to a number of times - just a lovely atmosphere. Its nice to see the owners are now offering food in the CowShed a bonus.

This is a basic site in that facilities are functional, but have improved to earlier visits with soap dispensers in the loo.

My one gripe is the fixed pitch price, I paid £16 per night for just myself - a single occupancy reduction would be nice.

I will be back though!

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Sarah and Andy 1 review from this member

Just returned from this little gem of a campsite having spent a very happy week there with our dog. What we need most from our holidays is a complete relaxation and get away from 'real life', and this was it.

What we loved was the combination of quirky, relaxed, laid back style yet with provision of all the things we really needed.

The site is not manicured and is a bit scruffy round the edges, but we had a lovely pitch in the corner of the field with plenty of space round us - the pitches aren't marked out, just pick your spot (unless you want hook up). Camp fires allowed too which is huge plus point to us.

There were 2 toilets and 4 shower 'sheds' also with loos in which were perfectly adequate for us outside of school holiday time anyway, though Andrew, the owner said that he planned to provide more toilets on site as they could get busy. There was a wonderful woman called Denise there who cleaned the showers and toilets about 3 times a day and every time we used them they looked and smelt very clean.

There was also a washing up 'shed' with 2 sinks, a freezer and washing machine which we didn't use but it said it didn't spin which I guess made it rather useless! Also plugs where you could charge your phone etc.

The Cow Shed Bar was great too. Also very laid back feel, lovely local beer, food and some great combinations - bacon bap and a cup of tea for £2 (a total bargain and delicious), fabulous milkshakes in little milk bottles with a straw and a pool playing dog called Charlie! It also sold a couple of basics, but there was a shop round the corner in another campsite which sold more. Probably worth doing a basics shop in Helston on the way!

A variety of animals to enjoy, including a particularly tame chicken who popped up on Andrew the owner's lap for a stroke before Charlie the dog attempted to herd him (the hen not Andrew!)

Our children are grown up so can't really comment on facilities for children other than the animals. From a glance I though that the trampoline was probably in need of some maintenance work to make more health and safety friendly, but generally I could see myself bringing grandchildren back here some time in the future!

If you need to be in constant contact on your mobile this won't work for you as there is no signal (or actually in most parts of The Lizard as far as we could tell!) but it just added to the 'get away from the rat race' feel for us. Phone mostly useful for taking photos!

We love walking and had several beautiful coast path walks on The Lizard. We also enjoyed NT properties at St Michael's Mount and Trewaignton Gardens (which was very dog friendly). The east beach at Kennack Sands is dog friendly but we did struggle a bit to find many dog friendly beaches.

We had a delicious and rather posh meal out one night in the dog friendly Mullion Cover Hotel and watched incredible lightening all around the 180 degree view - amazing.

I suspect some people would find Namparra too laid back and be put off by the cars being worked on on the drive in and the rather unfinished edges, but for us it was just great. Everyone who worked there was part of the family in some way and this just added to the happy laid back family feel.

For us the only slight downside of the area was that the village seems basically to be made up of caravan parks, so it did feel a bit outside our campsite like a great big summer metropolis - so glad we avoided the school holidays! However on site was great.

Finally the other massive plus point is the price. £16 all in seemed excellent value to us. No checking you had 20p for each shower, paying to have your freezer blocks frozen, paying extra for the dog, for a bigger tent, for borrowing of fire-pits, for charging your phone etc. Just a very good value up front price. Bring your cheque book or cash though - no card facility.

We did visit a couple of other sites for comparison while we were there but definitely felt we had chosen the best one for us.

Conclusion? We highly recommend this site :-)

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: SKY1986 2 reviews from this member

Great campsite if you are looking for the basics and want a true camping experience. However I did struggle to use the shower huts, on reflection I should have brought some bleach, although friends that we camped with didn't find it a problem so maybe it was just me! I did notice cleaners attend to the facilities a couple times during our stay.

I liked the way in which the atmosphere was relaxed to a certain extent. You could light a bonfire without any hassle which was great and the field itself was nice. There is access to the beach through a cut through in the hedge which takes about 15 minutes walk. The campsite next door was very noisy/busy on the Saturday night when we arrived but calmed down as the week progressed.

The one thing that did leave a bad taste in the mouth was the atmosphere caused by the fellow campers. I have been camping before and always experienced really friendly people staying on site although maybe it was because of the high season but there seemed to be a certain type of people staying at the camp which made it uncomfortable playing on the equipment as my child didn't like the attitude of the children and I even witnessed an argument from a couple of the parents regarding some of the children's unsavoury behaviour.

So regarding the facilities for the children the trampoline was a good idea in theory but it usually became too crowded to play on and the park across from the cow shack was also in need of some tlc with a rusty trampoline and a huge hole in the ground not very safe but ok if you are forewarn your children beforehand.

The best bit was Marks Ark which came in to the shack on the Sunday which was a great idea to entertain the kids and definitely a big thumbs up from us.

Overall you pay for what you get, if you want something a bit more up market go next door although if you don't want too many rules and regulations then Namparra would probably do just fine.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: J0GG 6 reviews from this member

Just returned from a lovely few days at this site. This time of year was perfect for a short stay with our family. Close enough to walk to the beach, a shop and pub nearby and the main bonus for us is the chance to have a fire to roast marshmallows before bed. (we used the sites chiminea but you can build your own pit). Beautiful views, quiet this time of year and some friendly animals that children enjoyed petting each morning. A lot of things were not ready so would not be fair to rate them but had they been done we would have given 10 out of 10! We will definitely be coming back as another bonus is the price-certainly one of the lowest in Cornwall for a family. (We had a large tent, awning, electric and family of five and the price is only £15 per night in April) The site has a lot of potential and the owner was updating the cow shed bar located on site which looks like it could be a lot of fun when finished. This is still a back to basics site which is something we prefer when choosing a place to stay. (AND the trampoline kept all three of our children occupied for hours-a brilliant idea!)

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: HappySpaniels 2 reviews from this member

This is about the 6th/7th time I have camped at Namparra and still love it. Relaxed but each time I come the owners have made little changes to improve things. The facilities are basic, but that's all you really need in my opinion - I'd rather be left to camp away happily without being regulated. Most other campers also show respect for each other, some music, and chatting noises etc, but just low key and what camping is all about (and we no doubt added our own bit to it as well).

The bacon rolls served at the CowShed in the morning were freshly cooked and very welcome and very tasty!

The site is very dog friendly and a nice stroll down to nearby Kennack Sands which is dog friendly on the left hand side.

Great place

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jill and sid 18 reviews from this member

Just spent one of two weeks at Namparra. We, (two adults and two kids) arrived at 8 am after travelling through the night. There was a mix up with the hook up, which was quickly resolved. Our first impressions were positive, a duckpond, a sea view, and a somewhat quirky feel. There's a ramshackle barn/ bar with a pool table, dart board, and games which serves good local beer at reasonable prices, the atmosphere is laid- back/horizontal. Namparra was cited as being one of the best campsites in Cornwall, by the Daily Telegraph, which is interesting (not that we take the Telegraph). We have previously stayed in a dreadful campsite in Dorset which The Guardian considered to be amongst the top 10 in the UK.

From reading previous feedback, others have mentioned the toilets as being an issue. They are are probably the most used toilet in the South West. There is a constant queue and not much evidence of them being cleaned. The washing machine does not spin and therefore you're charged a 'knock down' rate of £3. 70. (You're charged £2 for the washing machine on NT sites, and they work. Consequently, you're left with soaking soap-filled laundry. While we were there, the owner made some improvements; he put down hard core on a area prone to mud/ flooding. Also soap dispensers were placed in the toilets.

The kids played on a trampoline. There was a wide age range of the kids, and unfortunately, one 12 year old girl was beyond parental control and had a mouth like a sewer. By the end of our stay we were glad to depart.

Previous     43 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Namparra Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Namparra Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Namparra Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Helston      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cornwall (West)

UKCS Meet Truckfest W Midlands and Wales 03/07 to 04/07
Exciting family entertainment with weekend camping ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021