Reviews of Dogwood Cottage Camping

Campsite Search > UK > South East England > East Sussex > Rye > Dogwood Cottage Camping > Reviews

Dogwood Cottage Camping
Cackle Street
Brede
Rye
East Sussex   (Browse area)
TN31 6DY

Share  Post on X / Twitter  Share on Facebook  Email

Open: 01/01/2024 to 31/12/2024

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics for Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  36 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Write your own Review to win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 and £150!

If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 worth £299 AND £150 of Amazon vouchers. Leave as many reviews as you can for more chances - it only takes a few minutes

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Firewater 1 review from this member

Lovely, unassuming site ideal for exploring 1066 country. The owners were particularly friendly and helpful with lots of local knowledge to hand.

The toilet block has recently been spruced up and was absolutely fine - nice that the shower is free. The site is surrounded by a variety of trees full of birdsong - great for birdwatching!

We enjoyed the local pub and had a fun night out in Hastings, too. Would definitely recommend.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Kramed 1 review from this member

Lovely campsite - we really enjoyed our stay there and will definitely return

Owners are lovely and friendly and nothing is to much trouble for them

The toilets and showers are cleaned throughout the day - only one shower - but the wait is never to long, if you time it right

They also sell home made sourdough bread, their own eggs locally sourced honey and yoghurt plus all other provisions needed for camping.

There is a great pub up the road and its a fantastic base for exploring the area.

Fantastic for star gazing too

A lovely quiet site

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Warichodo 1 review from this member

We booked to stay a single night at the site as the last night of our camping trip (2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 dog). The main camping area is an open grass clearing surrounded by mature trees. We were offered a shady spot or a pitch in the sun and opted for the sunny pitch. We also hired a fire pit for the evening. There were a number of other campers there, mainly tents but a caravan and another camper were there as well.

We were shown the facilities which were basic but functional and the toilets were clean. The information room has a microwave, kettle and freezer for freezing your freezer blocks. Although the washing up area had only cold water the kettle wasn't far away. We did not use the shower facilities as we were only there one night and our next stop was home.

We weren't expecting a top spec campsite with all mod cons so we weren't disappointed with what we found. However, the facilities at a site are only part of the experience. For us it was a great end to our camping adventure. The site was peaceful, the weather had brightened, we took a short walk through lovely countryside to a great country pub (the Red Lion) and had good food and nice beer. We walked back and set about starting our campfire.

We struggled and a fellow camper came over and offered some assistance to get it going. It was a lovely evening as other people sat around their fires, chilling out drinking a glass of wine or a beer. We didn't feel people were too close certainly no closer than the huge campsite we had just come from. For us it made it great stay.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Dmanoneill 1 review from this member

Have just spent a couple of nights here with my two young sons and have had a lovely time. It has a very relaxed atmosphere and the owners were very laid back and helpful. Chickens roam freely despite several dogs on site. It's quiet and secluded in a clearing amongst trees. I felt happy letting the kids run about freely. It is quite a small site and with fairly basic facilities but they were clean despite the thunderstorms and mud! Rubbish bins were located in the pot wash area and were emptied regularly. Hot water would be a welcome addition at the pot wash. It seemed like an eco friendly site with solar panels on the house and compost urinal for the boys! Fire pits are available to hire and wood to purchase. It's well located for Camber Sands, Hastings and Rye. There are 2 local pubs which welcome dogs and kids though we only tried the Red Lion. Locals were friendly. I had a good view of the shooting stars last night before the rain started again.

It's a fairly low cost campsite, and this reflects the number of facilities. Saying that, what they have was in good order and perfectly acceptable.

I hope to return again as my boys loved it.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Photofletch 3 reviews from this member

I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with a site, I'm finding it difficult to say something positive about it. I guess I must be fussy, cus clearly others have liked this site, but I wouldn't go again, in fact, if I'd have been camping I'd have asked for a refund and left, the facilities were that shabby.

It could be so nice, but it was too crammed, too many tents/caravans for the size of the site. The litter piled up by the pot wash area was just a joke, not very pleasing for people to have to see, yes it was busy, but that's no excuse.

The site is surrounded by trees, so the road noise isn't bad, and it's quite peaceful, but the downside to that is you get lots of shady spots, so if you want a sunny pitch, think again.

Our friends who were camping were getting really fed up with the large queues in the mornings for the one shower and two toilets, yes it was busy, but not an excuse in my book. They were very grubby and we thought the whole place needed a redesign or something.

This site is a good central location for visiting Rye, Hastings and that general area. The village of Brede seemed nice, we had a very nice meal at the Red Lion pub.
Management response: We were very sorry to learn that Photofletch had issues at our site, and somewhat surprised. Had he made his concerns known to us at the time, we would have addressed these in a prompt, friendly manner. And would certainly have given him the refund he said he would have asked us for, had he talked to us. In fact, we say to everyone who stays with us, if there are any problems, please do bring them to our attention.

Sadly, Photofletch did not give us the opportunity to rectify his issues. Instead he left without a word and the first we knew about his views was reading this review online. For a small business owner, this practice can be very damaging and distressing

As the rest of the reviews demonstrate, far from being ‘grubby’, our facilities are always kept clean and tidy. Perhaps Photofletch saw the facilities at a particularly busy time, although it doesn’t appear from reading his review that he actually used them. And in fact, there are lots of sunny spots in the campsite, as can be seen from photos. This is not a shabby place in any way; it is a well-kept and tended site.

Overall, we were sorely disappointed not to have the chance to address Photofletch’s issues at the time he stayed with us. This is not just a business; it is our livelihood, our vocation, and a continual labour of love. We don’t like to think of any of our guests leaving unhappy!

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Mc alistair 2 reviews from this member

We love Dogwood! Our pitch was great, the site was quiet and Phil's home-baked bread is a must. We visited with our dog and were made to feel instantly welcome and at ease. It is a very relaxed site, allowing you to step away from it all for a while, gaze at the night skies and spend the day walking in the beautiful nearby woods. If you want something more 'urban', Rye, Hastings and Battle are close, with lots to offer in the way of pubs, shops and sights. We like to get away from it all and found that the warm and generous way the site is run suits us perfectly. We use our camper van a lot in the UK and abroad and know that there are a thousand and one styles of camping out there. Phil and Katy work hard to keep things as informal as possible whilst meeting the needs of everyone who pitches up - it isn't an easy task but they manage to do it with lovely smiles. Cool camping it is.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: PaulaMB 19 reviews from this member

Overall, we had a lovely time at this campsite, due in the main to our fellow campers, a nicer group of people would be hard to find.

All the children played together and had a great time, little ones to 11 year olds, girls and boys together, really great.

We found the campsite itself is a bit lacking to be honest. Far too many campers on such a small space.

We had booked a large pitch and found ourselves pitched almost on top of a little walkers tent on the first night, lovely people though, but not quite the point, we had about 3 feet between the front of our tent and the back of theirs.

The site filled up as the week went on and at one point there were 18 units (apparently the site is an acre), with one dodgy shower which was very temperamental and two toilets. One outdoor washing up sink with cold water only.

We had a great week but the campsite really did not live up to our expectations. Needs a bit of money spent on it and a more realistic approach to numbers to make it work.

Date of Visit: December 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: TheyCallMeTej 1 review from this member

This is only my second venture in camping. So my experience is not going to be a comparable one to other campsites so please bear that in mind.

I came to tent at Dogwood for one night to watch the Geminid Meteor Shower because I am an amateur astronomer and was looking for a campsite that has a decent enough dark skies (ie away from heavy light pollution) but not too far away from London (my home town), is open all year, have toilet facilities, and has easy public transport access as I cannot drive.

In that respect this campsite had fit all the criteria and indeed delivered on all my requirements splendidly for my one night's stay.

Its a somewhat woodlandish environment but the grass pitches are in clear open space for a lovely view of the skies at night by which the Milky Way flaunts itself to the naked eye.

Toilets were clean. I did not use the shower I'm afraid so cannot comment because my backpack contained both telescope and camping gear so no room for shower gear as it was only an overnight stay anyway. I headed back home following morning. And had my shower then, I'm not a dirty fella, honest!

The camp owners were delightful, helpful and friendly.

A public bus service runs nearby the campsite everyday except on Sundays. I had taken a train from London to Hastings (about 1hr) then a bus (£3. 40) to this campsite (about 30mins). Next day I returned to Hastings via cab as it was Sunday and that had cost £8, I recall.

If you are in a position like myself who depend on public transport, want to get to dark skies regularly without breaking the bank and during winter, then this is a lovely little campsite for such a criteria.

Here is a timelapse video I made of that night I stayed, which was the peak of the Geminid meteor shower. As you can see, its a lovely location for stargazing. The night was a frosty night though, you can see my lens did dew up a few times as a result.

Http://youtu. Be/5sZLhonFyXQ?list=UUejd4K6D0y-yzgyDEMSvmjw

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Polona 2 reviews from this member

Last October we spent delightful few days in the campsite. This was our second visit and hopefully not the last. The campsite is very secluded and because there is no light pollution the night skies are something special. You can’t hear any noise except from owls. The toilet facilities are not luxuries but for our needs quite adequate. The couple that run the campsite is very friendly and they sell you fresh eggs from their chickens they also run a small store from their home for camping essentials. Nearby, walking across the field, is the most delightful pub called The Red Lion. Very nice food and real ale. You can also buy freshly baked bread and chutneys. There are walks straight from campsite so you do not need to use the car at all. I hope we return soon. Loved it very much.

PS do not forget to visit Brede pumping station -

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Lovecampinghere 2 reviews from this member

We booked here for a short break and found it easy enough although on arrival there was no one around to welcome us. I found a telephone number and called but was greeted by a rude lady telling me we were early and to go to a local pub and wait. Strange welcome as we were only 30 mins early. We hung around and some one else came and said we could pitch but had to pay £5 as we were early. Not a good start. No marked pitches and we were pointed in a general direction to pitch. Not long after more campers arrived and pitched literally right next to our tent. I queried a 6metre rule for fire safety and was greeted with a blank stare. At this point I wish we had gone home. We stuck it out and had an ok evening, toilets were clean but next morning the shower proved useless. No strength and was even too hot or freezing cold. The shower room it self was damp with plastic roof and no ventilation. All in all it was cheap and I suppose we git what we paid for

Previous     36 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Share  Post on X / Twitter  Share on Facebook  Email

Write a Review of this Site to Win an Outdoor Revolution Prize and £150

Write a review of this campsite and you could win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 worth £299 AND £150 of Amazon vouchers. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win! Leave as many as you can for more chances - submit your review here!

Outdoor Revolution strive to facilitate precious family leisure time by creating the most reliable, practical and exceptional value for money Family Tents, Caravan & Driveaway Awnings on the market, together with our endless vision for innovation and quality! Therefore, there has never been a better time to rediscover camping and caravanning with Outdoor Revolution!

Is Dogwood Cottage Camping child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Dogwood Cottage Camping?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Dogwood Cottage Camping dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Rye      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Sussex

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 06/07 to 07/07

An amazing fun weekend in July for all the family, with camping and caravanning on site from Friday to Monday. Children's entertainment, old steam engines, classic car displays, market stalls, and full catering and bar. Find out More and save £15 by booking in advance

You can now follow UKCampsite.co.uk on Facebook! Keep abreast of the latest news and updates much more easily.

Simply click here then click on the Like button!

Free UKCampsite.co.uk Window Sticker  -  Recommend to Friend  -  Add a Missing Campsite

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2024