Reviews of Philpin Farm Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Ingleton > Philpin Farm Campsite Reviews

Philpin Farm Campsite
Chapel Le Dale
Yorkshire Dales
Ingleton
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
LA6 3FH
Tel: 01524 241846  or  07785244970
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 27th March 2020 -october Half Term

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   No Glamping Units
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool 5 miles
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  22 in total, now showing 21 to 22                 Previous 10         Next 10

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jet11 1 review from this member

This is the first time I'd been camping in over 20 years and the first time I'd ever taken my children camping so I was a little apprehensive to take them to a campsite with no facilities other than a toilet! However I was really pleased with Philpin Farm campsite.

The campsite is down a farm track and through the farm yard and I drove past the farm gate the first time because the signage at the gate is very small and unobtrusive. I think this sums up this site perfectly. It is tucked away and therefore quiet!

You cannot take your car onto the field however there is a small parking area next to the field entrance which will take 3, possibly 4 cars if they park considerately. However even parking next to the barn isn't too far away for carting your gear.

The field has an upper level and a steep slope down to the lower level. We camped on the upper level and the ground was nice and soft for pushing tent pegs into.

There is a barn next to the parking area which is available for cooking in if wet and there are some picnic tables. This is also where the toilet is located. The toilet and basin are very clean and housed in a large tiled area. The owners do their very best to keep this as clean as possible and I even witnessed it being mopped out at 10pm! Would imagine the toilet gets quite busy in peak times given that the site is on the 3 peaks footpath however we never had to wait too long to use it. There are drinking water taps located both in the toilet and just outside the barn. Bricks are provided in case you wish to BBQ.

There is a snack bar at the weekends although we were not at the campsite during the opening hours to be able to use it however they will provide breakfasts or packed lunches outside of these hours if you request in advance - great idea!

The owners were both extremely welcoming and the views from the campsite were lovely - when the clouds and rain lifted long enough for us to see them! Would definitely recommend this site for a welcoming back to basics experience in a quiet and picturesque location.

Improvements I would make would be adding another toilet and maybe a shower. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere longer than a weekend if there was no shower, particularly with the wet, muddy conditions we experienced however it was a great choice for a weekend. Other minor niggles are the fact our next door neighbours allowed their dog to come and wee right outside our tent door and the selfish parking of other guests meaning I couldn't park in the area next to the field however neither of these are the fault of the owners and I guess are just indicative of some peoples attitudes today.

On the Saturday we walked up Ingleborough, the footpath for which starts just across the road and past the pub and on the Sunday we went into Ingleton and followed the waterfalls trail. Both highly recommended walks. There seems to be a lot of other stuff to do in the area such as the White Scar caves and the open air swimming pool in Ingleton and as we ran out of time I may well have to make a return visit to the area to pack some more activities in!

I have knocked 1 point off and given it a 9 for location due to it being too far to walk to Ingleton, 9 for facilities due to lack of shower and 9 for value due to lack of shower!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Alicemaylara 7 reviews from this member

I'm impressed I found this campsite. It's not really advertised. Facebook was my main source for this one and the owner was very prompt with a reply re prices and access. Newly opened in April, it's an exciting addition, I have a feeling this won't be my only visit!

Location - 5/5

The farm is right on The Three Peaks official route. Below Whernside and just outside one of my favourite places, Chapel Le Dale, a tiny cluster of houses and a beautiful church (a must see). There is a pub about 300 yards away and another one a mile up the road. Ribblehead train station is within easy walking distance taking you to Settle one way or the Howgills and Carlisle the other. Amenities are at Ingleton (amazing bakery not to be missed) and Horton in Ribblesdale, both within 6ish miles.

In the heart of the Dales and sandwiched between Whernside and Ingleborough it's one of the best locations for hiking and mountain biking in Yorkshire. Start at the site and do the Three Peaks anti clockwise, discover Kingdale (on the other side of Whernside) or explore Dentdale on foot or by train. Visit the waterfalls at Ingleton or the geological wonder of Twisleton Scar. On rainy days tour the White Scar Caves, open all year round!

Greeting -5/5

Top marks. A really warm welcome from the owner and some helpful advice on where to walk to avoid a charity walk/400 people. Shown the facilities and left to pitch.

Pitch - 3/5

Tents only! The field is lush green and mown. There are two tiers, a lower, by an attractive (dry when I visited) beck and an upper section with arguably better, elevated views. It's fairly small, but being quiet when I stayed meant I had plenty of choice. You can't take your car into the field but there is a safe place to leave it right by the field gate.

Price - 4/5

6pppn, no other charges. Although I've paid as little as 3 before I think the location and isolation of this site means it's worth the extra.

Noise - 4/5

This site is on a working farm, down a quiet lane. It's on the Three Peaks route so there are plenty of walkers passing by and enjoying the snack bar, 100m. No other noise, and at night, peaceful.

Facilities - 4/5

As mentioned in the intro this is a very new site so the facilities are basic, one toilet and a cold tap. However the owners plan to build a toilet and shower block for 2016. You can order a cooked breakfast, packed lunches or fresh eggs to cook yourself. The snack bar which fuels those doing The Three Peaks Challenge is really handy, ice cream, chocolate and hot and cold drinks all available. You can charge your phone for free.

Views - 4/5

Depending on which tire you decide to pitch on you get great views of Whernside. I love the little beck at the bottom too.

Comments

The location of this site sells it to me. There are so many walks to do. The snack bar is really handy as there are no shops nearby and the cooked breakfasts and packed lunches are appealing, especially for large groups. In bad weather the fact you can't take your car into the field might put me off but in fine weather it's not a problem. Expanding to another field would be great, I can imagine it being really busy in peak season. I'm glad I was able to enjoy it before it's becomes popular, because it will, there is no doubt! The only improvement (apart from the planned new washing facilities) would be a sign asking dogs to be kept under control. My dog wasn't happy with another dog running around us in the evening, stealing her leftovers!

Previous     22 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 22     Next

Other Sites Near Ingleton      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 16/01 to 19/01, Event City
Over 200 exhibitors with all the new 2020 models and biggest ever selection of accessories. Plus win tickets! ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

Amazing daily prizes and a grand Christmas Day Star Prize - Coming Soon!

Register for a Reminder