Reviews of Squirrel Wood Camp Site And Bunk House

Campsite Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Cowling > Squirrel Wood Camp Site And Bunk House Reviews

Squirrel Wood Camp Site And Bunk House
Ickornshaw
Cowling
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
BD22 0DB

Pitches: 14 and 8 bunk house beds
Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar On Site   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 No Playground   No TV Room   Games Room   No Evening Ents
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 21 to 28                 Previous 10         Next 10

Reviewer: Pedro50 1 review from this member

A marvellous discovery, too new to be in our Pennine way guidebook. Adrian was beyond helpful, drying clothes and shoes for us, and entertaining guests. The communal hut is marvellous and the greenhouse was a godsend for dry storage. Highly recommended.

Reviewer: Coultart 1 review from this member

This is what campsites should be like - Ady's back garden! What a gem of a find!

Owner, Ady, couldn't have been more welcoming - he even phoned me back to say he'd thought of a way to fit our enormous tent (Vermont 7SA) onto his tiny site. He mowed a bit of ground and made a fire pit especially for us - it was totally fab.

Established initially for Pennine Way walkers, Ady has thought of everything, including a 'hut' to sit in with local info, an electric kettle, power to charge your phone and free 4G signal! He'll even dry your boots on his Aga and entertain you with his guitar!

Cowling had everything we needed - a chippy, a great pizza place, a local shop that stocked everything, a play park and a stream to spuddle in. The Harlequin Bistro served the best steak and kidney pud I've ever eaten. Also, the 2 hour circular walk to Cowling Pinnacle and Lund's Tower was just right for us.

We can't recommend the site (and the owner) more highly and hope to visit again.

Reviewer: Pownal1 1 review from this member

Great campsite, we stay here regularly. The owner is fantastic, friendly and welcoming and always happy to help. Lovely setting, peaceful and quiet. Little shops and pubs a mile or so down the road. We love cooking on an open fire, there are firepits made from rocks on the ground, like a proper camping experience should be.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: ChrissieT 16 reviews from this member

This is a hidden gem of a campsite. It's right on the Pennine Way, but down a driveway into what appears to be a garden, level, with a pond, landscaping and small summerhouse.

When I arrived Adey, the owner, was cutting the grass and was most welcoming and helpful. The owners have obviously spent a lot of thought into what campers need, and have provided the summerhouse with seating, electric sockets and, get this, an electric kettle! And all for 10 a night! I think the charge is per tent, but I was travelling solo so I'm not sure.

The toilet block is basic with only one shower and one toilet, but the hot water is there. It could be a problem if the site were very busy. I would have liked hand wash provided, but that is my only criticism.

Cowling is only a walk away for a pub, fish and chips, and basic stuff, and I suspect Adey would give you a lift if needed.

The 4G was excellent, despite being very rural.

Child friendly depending on your children. Campfires permitted in the right place.

Previous comments mentioned the road and the church bells, neither of which bothered me.

I'll definitely use this site again.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: RambleGamble 1 review from this member

After walking the Pennine way last year from Hebden Bridge to Cowling and quite a gruelling section with driving wind and rain I came upon a small sign with a squirrel on it pointing down the road. I had not looked forward to a night in a field with no dry clothes and had not seen this place on the list just a farm. NEVER in my life have I been to a campsite where the owner took in all my clothes and dried them and invited me in to get warm and dry. Later I showered then sat in the communal hut and listed to some music, charged my phone and relaxed in a comfy chair. I have to say on the entire length of the Pennine way this was by far the best I remember and would not hesitate to recommend it. In the morning I went into the hut to make a drink and my warm dry clothes were folded on the table. Thank YOU!

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Noodidley 1 review from this member

We cannot praise this place enough! We stayed here in the Spring Bank holidays this year with our two our two girls! The facilities are fantastic and clean complete with boot wash! Adey and is wife cannot do enough for you and are very friendly and welcoming! The village is just a short walk away with a shop and local pub! There are also some lovely woodland walks and gorgeous sights to see! We would definitely recommend this place!

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Razor401 1 review from this member

We were walking the Pennine way and stumbled upon this campsite a few yards off the walk that day over to Cowling and so glad we did, the farmers field advertised in the walkers guide did not look too good but this place had perfectly flat lawns, a hut to use to chat and charge phones and we also cooked some food in there on our stoves, the toilet and shower block is immaculate, the best I saw on the entire Pennine way. We had 3 tents on the centre lawns that were very soft and flat and easy to peg. If you are walking the Pennine way contact these guys and book in it really is a refreshing site to arrive at.

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ronely 1 review from this member

Just stayed here for 2 nights, immaculate in every way. The site is tucked away in the trees and felt very sheltered and private and we camped by the large pond, the pitches are very flat and superb. Can't wait to go back in the summer with the kids when its a bit warmer. The hosts are very helpful and showed us their shepherds hut (which we will be booking at some point) as well as advice on the best eating around, they couldn't do enough for us. A very pleasant beautiful place and a must if you like nature and Yorkshire.

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 28     Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Squirrel Wood Camp Site And Bunk House child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Squirrel Wood Camp Site And Bunk House?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Squirrel Wood Camp Site And Bunk House dog friendly?  NO  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Cowling      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in North Yorkshire

UKCS Meet New Forest Caravan & Motorhome Show 21/05 to 25/03
Browse the latest models, research purchases and watch expert webinars, all from the comfort of your sofa ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021