Reviews of Debden House Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Essex > Loughton > Debden House Campsite Reviews

Debden House Campsite
Tel: 0208 508 3008

Open: 01/05/2021 to 30/09/2021
           01/05/2022 to 30/09/2022

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <5 miles
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  71 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Date of Visit: June 2021  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with older children
Reviewer: Luciab 1 review from this member

It was our first time camping with a tent and cannot think of a better place to make this experience.

We enjoyed our stay very much, great staff members and facilities.

The environment is beautiful and there are plenty of different areas (fields) to suit your needs.

The main toilets, shower, washing up room are situated in a beautiful building are very well kept!

Possibly I would suggest to create a booking system to order and buy hot and cold drinks and snacks at the hut so that stuff don't need to be present there at all time, (it happens for for food already on Saturday evening with guest food suppliers)

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Group
Reviewer: VWBus 72 reviews from this member

Had a quick one night stay here, midweek in August, to meet up with friends.

It's a vast site with numerous huge fields to choose from - the place was almost empty, we had masses of space and pitches to choose from! Cost was 19 for me and my dog.

The site is surrounded by Epping Forest with direct access from the pitches, so this was great for the dog.

Facilities seemed pretty sparse, some portaloos in the fields and showers and toilets near reception, but I didn't use them, simply too far away (I said the site was vast!) and I was only staying for one night, then home!

The attraction of the site is the ability to pitch together and have nice open fires which was fab. Bought some logs from reception for 7 for a huge bag, not too bad value I guess.

As long as you don't mind fairly basic facilities, this site is worth it for the location and access to Epping Forest, and the campfires etc - back to basics camping. I would come back

Date of Visit: August 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Ratty 256 reviews from this member

I wanted somewhere to stay with three friends, so we chose this site as it was centrally located. I booked for us all and when I did the price was the same for us to put all 4 units on one pitch, or book one pitch each, so of course I booked one pitch each for one unit and one person each, this allowed us to have lots of space and not get ontop of each other.

When I arrived I said that I had four bookings in one and then I started getting moaned at saying these were the party pitches and should not have single occupancy (even though the booking system lets you book these pitches with just one person on them). What is the difference if 4 individual bookings were made each with one person on a pitch.

However this was not a big issues, it just didn't start the evening off on the best foot. How often do you get moaned at for not pitching 4 units together on one pitch, meaning parties and gatherings are actively allowed !

The speed bumps are huge and totally unnecessary, if you have a low vehicle I wish you luck. The roadways through the site also need looking at as they are quite potholed and not nice on the van.

We were on field 7B and this was totally empty apart from us, as were fields 7A and 7C. Both these fields are the fire fields and parties are allowed.

However the biggest problem were the facilities, between the three fields, there were just two porta loos, now whilst these stayed clean with just 4 of us using all three fields, it would be horrendous if the pace was full with anywhere between 40 and 60 units!

There is a main shower and toilet block at reception, but this is a long way from the field and we did not use it. They really need to invest in new facilities blocks that are adequate for the number of people.

The site borders Epping Forest and walking is in abundance, which is great. London is not too far by rain.

The biggest problem was the price, it was 19 for me in a VW and my dog for the night. Now 19 for no facilities apart from two portaloos and one fresh water tap is simply just too much. Reduce your costs to 6 - 8 per night per person including your car, tent, etc and I will be back time and time again. Keep charging me 19 and I am afraid you have lost my custom for good.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Angiepangie 1 review from this member

Visited twice this year. Lovely large site near Epping Forest with plenty of large pitches. I booked a pitch online but when I arrived I found it too steep and surrounded by trees. Staff were happy to let me choose another available pitch. Staff were friendly and helpful.

Toilets and showers were spotless with plenty of hot water. No shops in the immediate vicinity but a short drive into Debden you can find Aldi and Sainsbury's, banks and other shops.

I haven't rated the child friendliness as I don't have young children but there are playground facilities and plenty of children were enjoying themselves.

Date of Visit: August 2018  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Ratty 256 reviews from this member

This is an easy site to book up on and you can choose your field and your pitch and we chose the noisy field, with campfire allowed as it was myself an d a friend. Booking confirmation was emailed over and off we went.

Check in was simply and quick at the entrance and we got our wristbands and off we went. We declined the offer to let us know about the facilities etc, as we have been before.

We drove onto field 7 and we were the only people on there. The field is large, fairly flat and plenty of patches in the grass where you can have a fire. They sell bags of logs, or you can bring your own.

We set up and went for a walk in the forest, which is huge and you can spend hours and hours in there, perfect for the walker, cyclist, etc.

Clean portaloo toilets on the field and well stocked and no problem using them at all, with the other facilities in another field, and these contain the laundry, washing up, showers, etc.

A great site, close to London and perfect if you want group camping or family camping, just choose the appropriate fields.

Date of Visit: August 2017  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Ratty 256 reviews from this member

A return visit for me after staying last year. Booking was online on their website and was very easy and was able to simply choose a pitch that was available.

On arrival the lady on reception was very slow and seemed more worried about things behind the glass screen rather than serving the waiting punters. However once we got seen she passed us our wristbands and on we went. She did not open the barrier until we had put our wristbands on, which is a good thing as it stops people sharing them.

We stayed in field 7, the party and campfire field and we stopped midweek, so it was very quiet with just one other tent in it.

It is fairly flat and the pitches are all of a good size.

The toilets are two portaloos for this field and they were clean, well stocked and perfectly usable. There is fresh water on the field too. If you want a shower there is a block in another field, but we did not use this.

Fires are allowed and there are pre-dug pits, although we took our own firepit along. They sell logs for 5 per bag.

There is a shop, cafe, launderette, cottages to rent, playgrounds and vending machine on site.

This site is a great location for London and shopping. And perfect for walkers and cyclists who want to explore Epping Forest as you can walk straight in to the forest from the site.

We paid 10 per adult and 3 for the motorhome. I will be back soon and will taking my bike.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Bebs 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a weekend at Debden House and still can't get over the total disregard of some drivers for the safety of other people, especially children. There were cars driving straight through Field 1, past the kids play area, and others driving off road to avoid the speed bumps. I only saw one driver being stopped by a lone security guard. It is a lovely spacious camp which should allow kids to play in safety but, thanks to some people, that was not the case.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Canvassleeper 8 reviews from this member

We had a great time at Debden. It was pretty lively noise-wise, as there was a big group in the same field, but not too much of a disturbance.

It is a shame you can't have fires in the field with electric hook ups, as ideally we'd have both this time of year!

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Magnusspuss 10 reviews from this member

This site was great fun. We stayed 2 nights, we were 2 families with kids under 6. The kids enjoyed exploring the woodlands, tree rope swings and falling in mud and collecting kindling. There was lots of space around our tent for them to play ball and frisbe and general running about and we could see them from our camp.

Site was very large and a real mix of campers. There was a bit of late night noise, didn't bother us much at all and a bit too much litter left by campers, a bit of a long walk to toilet blocks and the kids play parks weren't up to very much but kids had a play anyway.

So close to London yet feels like your miles away in the countryside. Fires-great

We thought we'd go again but there's so many other sites that we haven't.

Date of Visit: June 2016  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Ratty 256 reviews from this member

This isn't a cheap site at 10 per adult, then 3 per car, then 2 per dog, and all this n a quiet Thursday night, however the site was huge, empty and perfect for what we wanted.

We booked on their website, you cannot phone and book which is annoying if you haven;t been before as you are taking potluck as to the pitch you might get.

We camped in field 7 which allows campfires. The field is large with one portaloo and a fresh water tap. There is access straight in to the woods from the field, which was lovely with the dog.

The pitches are not that big and are all very close to each other, so when the site is busy expect your neighbours to be up close. However this didn't affect us at all as we were the only ones in the field. Each pitch has its own firepit, basically a hole dug in the ground and you buy their logs at 5 per bag.

There are a couple of toilet and shower blocks with laundry room and washing up rooms. We did not use any of these as were only there for a night, however we stuck our heads in and they looks clean and well maintained.

There is a shop and cafe on site, however we did not use either, so cannot comment. There is a playground for the kids, however the fields are so big and with the woods surrounding the site, there is plenty for kids of all ages to do in the sunshine.

Site is fairly close to M25 so access is easy and is in the heart of Epping Forest offering great walks and days out. Plus London is not too far.

I would use this site again but not sure I would on a weekend as I just don't like people pitched right next to me so I can hear them snore.

Previous     71 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Debden House Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Debden House Campsite?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Debden House Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Loughton      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Essex

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park, Kent 18/09 to 19/09
UK's largest outside dog show for working, trained and pet dogs held at the Kent Showground. Weekend camping available on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021