Visitor Reviews - The Quiet Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

The Quiet Site
Ullswater
The Lake District
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA11 0LS   See Map
Tel: 07768 727016  or  017684 86337

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer Available    Motorhome Point   Fully Serviced Pitches
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant <5 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <1 mile
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  215 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Markjenn 3 reviews from this member

First let me say we booked this on recommendations from visiting the caravan exhibition at Manchester. The directions were spot on arrived about 19.30 red hot evening. At first glances I thought great we are going to love this but that was short lived. While I was there I checked and we were only the second twin axle on site which was noted when booking online. We booked a serviced pitch as I don't carry barrels the pitch did not fit my van so put it at an angle no awning required so that was ok.

Looking forward to nice meal in bar area only to be told no food served but there was a butty wagon outside ok can live with that. The bar can only be described as a shed full of old antiquated stuffed animals and numerous heads on shields which looked like they have not been cleaned since they were shot and mounted. The beer they served was probably the worse beer I have tasted in a long while and I do like my real ales which is a shame as the pub at end of the lane brews its own and is fantastic

The toilet and shower facilities were to an ok standard but could do with cleaning much better. 1 elsan point ok can live with that. While was hooked up to my water supply my connectors sprung a bit of a leak so while we were out a nice gentleman switched off my tap. On return I switched it back on, he switched it off saying it was dripping down the slope wetting an adjoining pitch, which I did apologise for to my neighbours. He then explained the tap is not designed for my Truma blue water pipe which some how baffled me as that's exactly what it is designed for. I fixed the leaking hose connection only to find it was the tap leaking not my connector.

The site itself is in a stunning location but quiet it is not there were many units and statics in close proximity - we were only 12 feet from a row of statics and the noise was terrible but I know its not all about me. But the prices that they charged me for a fully serviced pitch only to find they have put me on the smallest pitches when I had given them my caravan length is beyond me. Would I go again I think not but I am sure people love it.

Management response: Thank you for your review. Sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. You were on one of our largest pitches (10m x 11m), which has just been refurbished. Your large caravan fitted easily on to it.

Our beer is well regarded and while our bar is not everyone's cup of tea, most like it.

*Note to readers of review: As every parent knows: giving advice to young children can result in outbursts. The same thing occasionally occurs when a 'quiet chat' is needed with a guest. In this case the guest was asked very politely to turn off their water tap directly feeding their caravan as their connector was leaking. And by leaking I mean around 1/2 litre per min, so badly leaking. The pitch below the leaking tap was waterlogged. The guests response was not positive. As a result we now have this very negative review from a guest who had given every indication of enjoying their holiday, right up to the point where we politely pointed out their leaking connector.

Regards Daniel (the person who asked you nicely to turn your leaking water tap off!)

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: RenshawPeter 1 review from this member

My family stayed here for a long weekend and can honestly say that we had a great time site is lovely not to mention the bar and log fire

Would recommend for walkers and anyone who wants a peaceful sleep

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Katepep 3 reviews from this member

Very much recommended. This site has everything we needed for a comfortable stay with two young children. Clean and ample facilities plus 3 family bathrooms which were great with the little ones. Members of staff on site were all very helpful. Our pitch felt quite private due to the layout out of pitches and it felt like a nice lot of space to ourselves and not to mention the incredible views! Childrenís soft play was small but our two had fun. The outdoor play area was in the process of being finished so we didnít spend too much time there.

It feels expensive but you get what you pay for and it is in The Lake District. The big shared fridges and freezers were also really useful.

Date of Visit: February 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sunncamp owner 13 reviews from this member

A lovely site indeed! The road in is a little tight in places but this is part and parcel of being in the lakes I suppose and it literally is the last couple of miles and we met no traffic. Reception dealt with us efficiently and we were walked to our pitch. The site is on a hill and some of the pitches are on terraces as indeed was ours, not the easiest to get onto as we were on a steep hill but the pitch was a decent size and pretty level with water also on the pitch. Considering the site is open all year it had stood up to winter pretty well but I imagine in summer its beautiful! There was a small play park on site and other facilities were clean although we tend to use our van for most things. As you would expect in February it was damp. So we headed down to the quiet bar, really nice with a huge log fire in the centre with loads of chairs round so no one person can commandeer the whole area. It was really friendly in the bar and walkers, dog walkers and everybody seemed to come together and just enjoy a pint in the warm surroundings. Up in the eves of the bar was a pool table at one end and at the other an indoor play area but you wouldn't know these were there whilst sat having a drink. Ullswater speaks for itself and is beautiful, I can certainly recommend the bracken rigg pub 2 miles from site for a meal! Also on site are some hobbit holes which looked very cosy indeed. A permanent butty bar at the bottom of the site provided sustenance on sunday morning that was much needed after one too many in the quiet bar.

So overall great views, great bar and definitely one to return to!

Date of Visit: November 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Taxis Kendal 29 reviews from this member

We were happy with the campsite on a wet November Monday. The ground is a mixture of pea gravel and grass on a flat surface. The result was it drained very well, and our sharpened pegs went in firmly and held against the quite strong wind. Every tent pitch has electric. Very quiet site, with no road noise. Views are very good in certain directions, although trees do block out a lot. £15 for one night for two, tent and car. You do have to park a little way from the tent. Reception open from 9am - 6pm. Very nice receptionist, allowing us to choose our pitch. We didn't use any of the facilities. It's a fine site out of season, with electric and great ground, and is open all year, but the poorish views mean it's less than optimal for campers like us who want great views of the Lake District.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Minisharon 6 reviews from this member

We stayed in one of the Hobbit Holes for 2 nights and it was a lovely experience. They are very spacious with a large padded area that could easily sleep a family of 5. There is also power, light, heat and a small bathroom but the views from the Hobbit Hole are amazing - Ullswater Lake is so beautiful to wake up to in the morning. The facilities on site are superb with ample showers, toilets and washing up facilities as well as family bathrooms. The staff were very welcoming and friendly and there is even a Sausage Van providing breakfasts. This is an ideal way to camp in inclement weather as you stay warm and dry and there's no wet tent to take down. Will certainly be visiting again soon.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Broken Arrow 3 reviews from this member

Awful weather the week we were there with odd break in the wind and rain. Lovely site, pitches level and generous in size, beautiful views from all of the pitches. Loads of washing facilities, all ultra clean. Staff on site are brilliant, Clare and Adam the wardens go above and beyond their job remit to make sure your holiday goes smoothly. Definitely recommend this site.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Rich2han 2 reviews from this member

What a beautiful site in a stunning location. The views over Ullswater are truly wonderful.

You may think that a camp site half way up a fell in the lake district would be a nightmare trying to find a level pitch, but this site has been landscaped and terraced perfectly to ensure all pitches are level and a good size. The pitches being a mix of grass and peas gravel means that they are all well drained, and providing you have decent pegs, give a good purchase when pitching. All pitches come with electric hookups, and there are a very good number of drinking water points so you won't have to lug a heavy water container far.

The site facilities are also of a high standard, with a good number of showers in both the mens and ladies, and there are also a number of family bathrooms for those with small children to use. There was never a shortage of hot water in the showers.

A well designed children's playground with the usual mix of climbing frames swings and dens meant the children were well catered for.

Finally I must mention the on site bar. A lovely space with a large welcoming open fire, serving an absolutely delicious beer - The Quiet Pint. Definitely well worth a return visit to sample it again. Also in the bar there is a games room with a table tennis table, table football and air hockey for the older children, and a decent sized soft play area for the smaller ones.

I would definitely recommend this site, it is only a few miles from the motorway junction so very easy to get to.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Rademan08 3 reviews from this member

We went here for our honeymoon and stayed in a glamping pod.

The pod was clean and had a heater and electric.

BUT !

The first night we where freezing !

The heaters are on a 1 hour timer and then need to be switched on again for another hour.

The second night was really warm !

We forgot our blow up bed so the site actually lent us one.

The on site bar is amazing, its very cosy and that log burner is just out of this world.

Has a children's inside soft play area.

Pool table upstairs.

Beautiful beer.

No on site food apart from a breakfast van that comes on site on a morning. Thats delicious.

Onsite toilets and showers, clean.

Also has a family room/ Bath.

Can rent a mini electric car on site too haha. Brilliant.

Staff are wonderful.

Prices are great. Lots of walking around.

We walked to the aira force waterfall which isnt too far, there are plenty of other places around the site to visit too.

Will definitely be returning.

Thankyou for the wonderful weekend.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daisy_bell 5 reviews from this member

I stayed here for a weekend with my little girl and all in all, its a lovely site.

I'd been warned about needing rock pegs as the tent was on pea gravel - normal pegs wouldn't have coped. The pitch was flat with lovely views.

I didn't mind the walk up and down the hill to the loos/office etc, but I felt it in my legs after coming home. The loos and showers were spotless as were the family bathrooms. Hairdryers were an added bonus.

The campers kitchen was basic but crucially, no one swiped my ice packs or my sausages.

The children's play area was much loved by my little girl and there was plenty of space for the children to run around. The pub was also lovely and the soft play very welcome for burning off the last bit of energy before bed.

Sadly I have one niggle - we were woken by a barking dog on the first night. The owner promised to have a word to ensure it didn't happen again (and it didn't) but he also said that 2-3am was too late for the staff to come out to resolve any issue. This left me feeling quite vulnerable given I wouldn't want to tackle any noise by myself (especially as I can't leave my daughter in the tent alone) but without staff being willing to turn out there would be no way of resolving it.

Previous     215 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Atera STRADA DL 2 Tilting Bike Carrier worth £457.50 Win Family Weekend Camping Tickets to the Into the Trees Festival

UKCS Meet England's Medieval Festival 24th to 27th August, E Sussex
Discover the magic of history and celebrate the past at Herstmonceux Castle. Camping packages available ...more