Visitor Reviews - Drumshademuir Caravan And Camping Park

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Angus > Forfar > Drumshademuir Caravan And Camping Park Reviews

Drumshademuir Caravan And Camping Park
Roundyhill
Glamis
Forfar
Angus   (Browse area)
DD8 1QT

Special Offer available to UKCampsite.co.uk visitors - see here

No Tents   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool 5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf 5 miles   Tennis 5 miles
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: January 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: The Jones of Dunbla 4 reviews from this member

This is a lovely site. So peaceful and really well run. There is a lovely wooded area to walk the dogs - we didn't keep them on the lead in the woods and they loved it.

The pitches are all really well levelled and if you park your van on the slabs in the middle of the pitch the van is generally level. Some of the pitches are smaller than others but very good.

The shower facilities are a little dated but are kept absolutely spotless.

The town of Kirriemuir is lovely with two co-ops and lots of lovely independent shops. The Steeple Chippie is good as is Curriemuir the Indian take away. A lovely butchers is also in the town.

Forfar is close by with a good Tesco if you need it.

The site is just so lovely and peaceful and the Angus Glens are only a 35 minute drive away as are the beaches at Montrose- Lunan Bay and St Cyrus which are amazing.

We just love this site.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Roons 5 reviews from this member

After a google search and recommendation by a friend we chose this site for a 4 night stay.

The site is immaculate, varying sizes of pitches hard and grass standing with concrete slabs for the wheels (we didn't realise the wheels were meant to go on the slabs until we read a sign outside reception after we had parked and set up van). If we had parked our van with wheels on the concrete slabs it would of meant our awning was half on grass and half on chuckies with concrete edging in the middle!. Maybe we were accidentally given a non awning pitch. However, we had parked our van so that our awning was on the grass and the van on chuckies. No-one asked us to change it so not sure if it was ok or not to do that.

The shower blocks were maybe a little dated but immaculately clean - can't comment on showers as we didn't use. The laundry was small but had good size washer and drier and a spinner for hand-washed clothes. Our washing didn't come out perfectly clean but it is only a half an hour cycle.

3 miles drive to Kirriemuir which has a large Co-op and other shops. 6 miles to Forfar which has Tescos.

We found the site very quiet indeed despite the site being quite full. There are an awful lot of signs and rules around which we felt gave it a bit of an unrelaxed atmosphere!

The dog walk in the woods is very nice but I don't think its really necessary to keep well behaved dogs on a lead once in the wooded area. My dog is very reluctant to do his business while attached to a lead! And we always poop scoop!

Armstrongs Pub and Restuarant on site, which I think is independently owned, is very nice - great food, decor and staff! Advised to book at weekends.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Monica T 1 review from this member

We visited the Drumshademuir Caravan And Camping Park for the september weekend. We stayed in a pod. It was very clean, provided a good space for the 4 of us and had a kettle, a microwave and a small fridge, even a TV which was a bonus. The only thing we felt was a bit awkward was the double bed setting, the mattress was moving every time you tried to move so you ended falling in between mattresses. We managed to sleep but not in the double bed arrangement. We mentioned that to the staff and they said they would try to address it.

There is a good playground to keep children occupied while the parents enjoy a nice coffee on the patio.

The shower rooms/toilets were always well attended and clean. We were very happy with our stay and we will try to go again in the future. The site has a restaurant close by, however, it is very close to large villages to do your shopping. I would say a good location.

Reviewer: Blinxter 8 reviews from this member

Friendly and very helpful staff.

This site is immaculate, perhaps helped by the plethora of rules, everywhere you look there is a sign with another rule. That having been said though is not such a negative if it leads to such a picturesque site.

The tent pitches are not very well thought out running along the side of the site that skirts the main (straight) road which is loud due to the long straight stretch encouraging bikers and car owners alike to open the throttle a little.

On site bar is pleasant and the facilities are good with free showers. Was only staying for a 1 night hop into Northern Scotland but there didn't seem a lot to do nearby however as a destination there is plenty to keep the family and kids occupied on the site and the walk area nearby.

More of a destination than a hub. I would recommend friends to go there for a relying week but not as a base for visiting tourist attractions (although I may well be totally wrong not knowing the local area)

I booked through pitchup and they had me down as a touring caravan (was in a tent) but the friendly staff managed to sort me out a suitable pitch. I think this possible increased the price for the night though making it less reasonable than any other site I've camped in but this was the error of pitchup not the site. No reduction in rate was offered but then again. Not the sites fault I suppose so can't REALY expect anything more there.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sheeprider79 14 reviews from this member

I spent a weekend here, on arrival the warden made me feel very welcome and showed me the site and handed me a leaflet on the site too. Most helpful.

The pitch was a good size, I had a grass pitch which you have to park your axle on the slabs. Which were level enough.

The site is very child friendly, there was plenty of kids running around but we'll behaved. My 2 had so much fun they have already insisted that we are to return.

The toilet block looks old inside but does the job, 2 water points and Élsan are all in same area.

There is a small woodland walk which was nice, again my kids loved it. We also had a meal at the Tavern which is adjacent to reception/shop, good meals including kids menu which again we all enjoyed.

All in all this was a very good site, clean, tidy and we'll looked after, we will be returning.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dlittle 7 reviews from this member

I spent 4 nights at this site last week whilst visiting the Angus Walking Festival. I chose it due to its close proximity to Kirriemuir (the meeting point for all the walks).

I was given a very warm welcome upon arrival and my first impressions were of a clean and well run site. The washing, shower and toilet facilities were clean with plenty of hot water and all were easily accessible.

One night, I didn't fancy cooking and so booked a table at the restaurant located on site and had a very nice meal in pleasant surroundings.

The £16 per night I paid felt like good value for money. The only criticism I have (and this is a minor point) is that road nearby can get a bit noisy, but hey like I say a minor point.

If I go back to the festival next year, I will use this site again.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Melvi 5 reviews from this member

What a great site we have found. When we arrived here for our Easter weekend break we were greeted with a very friendly welcome. When setting up we had a problem with our electric in our van and within a few minutes the staff had us up and running. There was a full day of Easter activities arranged for the Sunday. This site has a great atmosphere about it. I cant praise the staff highly enough as they were always having a laugh with everyone. Very well kept site as were the toilet blocks. Had a meal in the park tavern which is reasonably priced and good food. Kirriemuir is only a couple of minutes drive away where you can find anything you might need. My three year old loved the playpark. Will be back again this year.

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Debbie65 27 reviews from this member

Just back from a 2 night stay in our tourer and the first jaunt of the season, first time to this site too. It's only a 15 minute drive for our house. Touring pitches are intermingled with statics. We had a larger hardstanding pitch to accommodate our awning, it was a good size and the pitch was well drained despite the rain earlier in the week. No serviced pitches though, and for over £75 for the 2 nights for our van, 3 kids and awning we thought this a tad expensive. Toilet block was a bit dated, warm enough for the time of year. Shower set up really good, with a parallel changing ares next to the shower area. Shower warm enough but water pressure poor and the tiled floor area in the actual shower cubicle was chilly! 1 key needed to access shower blocks. Shower areas with around 4 additional vanity cubicles were always very clean.

Small play area at the top of of the site, had we been able to pick a pitch instead of being allocated one we would have picked one nearer to the play area, as it was hidden from view from our pitch so we didn't feel comfortable letting the kids just go off themselves. Wee grassy area where the boys could play football.

Ate at the site club house on the Saturday night, reasonable standard pub fare, 2 adult meals, 3 kids meals, a bottle of wine for around £55. Not to bad. Had nice fish and chips in Kirriemuir too, 5 minutes away in the car.

Drove up the Angus glens a bit on the Saturday to visit Peel Farm, lovely gift shop, cafe and play area, free bread provided to feed the chickens and ducks. Well worth a visit.

Nice enough site, but a bit expensive. There's so many great sites nearby that are likely to be cheaper but with better facilities, so for that reason only I doubt we'd go back.

--------------------------

I'd like to add to the review I submitted a few days ago for this site after a telephone conversation with the owner. He had contacted me to indicate that after his wife had read my review, they checked their records and discovered that they had charged us for 3 nights instead of 2. This was a genuine mistake on their part and we have been offered a refund for the third night, or the chance to have 2 nights for the price of 1 at a later date of our choosing.

This honesty was much appreciated. I've upped my star rating to reflect this.

Date of Visit: February 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Tour gs 16 reviews from this member

Spent a snowy February weekend at the site to go walking in the Angus glens. It's well kept and the owner was out clearing snow before it hit the ground! Some pitches are quite far from the hook up point and we had to borrow an extension lead from reception. Toilets are nice and clean, and warm, although the water wasn't that hot for dish washing. Used the butcher in Alyth (about10 miles away) for some sirloin steaks and their own black pudding and had a BBQ in the snow, absolutely delicious! Walked in glen prosen up towards the Airlie monument and beyond. The site is ideally placed for walkers and we'll be back soon for more.

Date of Visit: January 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Colineileen 7 reviews from this member

Had a fantastic five nights at drumshademuir. The site is well kept and tidy and even in the middle of January it looked great. Generous pitch sizes all level and the toilet block was warm and clean. The park tavern at the entrance to the site serves excellent bar lunches and evening meals as well as takeaways and is open Wednesday to Sundays in the winter months. A special mention for the wardens who go that extra mile to make your stay a pleasant one. We didn't have children but the play area had plenty to do in it. The woodland walk is pleasant where we saw a deer one morning. We will definitely be back.

Previous     29 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Angus

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire