Reviews of Castle Bay Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Dumfries and Galloway > Stranraer > Castle Bay Holiday Park Reviews

Castle Bay Holiday Park
Portpatrick
Stranraer
Dumfries and Galloway   (Browse area)
DG9 9AA

Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   No TV Room   Games Room   No Evening Ents
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming <1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <1 mile   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   No Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  33 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

To find out if we're taking bookings please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Anseo 1 review from this member

Having decided to leave the site we were on in the Port Logan area (it was just too quiet us being the only people there) we headed for Stranraer area.

A stop at the roadside and a login to UKCampsite found a listing for Castlebay Holiday & Residential Park, so I phoned up and asked about serviced pitches and did they have drainage, running water and EHU, I was told that there was no drainage but EHU and water were available.

There was EHU, but the response relating to water supply was economical with the truth, having been allocated a pitch we proceeded to our location, EHU only?, OH well I thought, water and waste should not be too far away, how wrong I was.

Lovely pitch location and great views, but the trek for water was so great that I used my car to transport the Aquaroll and waste and toilette cassette, what a major chore.

There is a new toilet block under construction, and it has been for a couple of years according to a fellow camper.

There is also a bare concrete base that is apparently destined to become a water supply and disposal point at sometime in the future according to the site manager.

Whether there is any intention to provide water to serviced pitches I do not know; I was so displeased with the chore of traveling such a long distance for water and waste disposal that I did not inquire, by now I had given up any interest in the site.

Regrettably things got worse when we used the toilet block (next to the water collection point), yes another long trek, 2 toilets and 2 showers in the gents for a very large and busy site, a shower curtain only, dismal and smelly with liberal black mould around the shower trays, a place I just wanted to get out of as soon as possible, there is also a most basic dish washing area that could only accommodate one person at a time.

Cost £20. 00 per night, lovely views and walks but I was most happiest when I was packing up to leave, you can guess I won't be returning.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: LBBK 44 reviews from this member

This site is about location, location, location. If it facilities you are looking for then this is not the place for you!

It is essentially a static caravan park with an area set aside for touring caravans and tents. The setting is stunning - cliff top overlooking the Irish Sea and the wonderfully photogenic Dunksey Castle. There is a cliff top walk of about 20 mins into the equally picturesque village of PortPatrick (plenty of shallow steps but there are benches if you want a rest) which has small shops, pubs, a lifeboat and black guillimots in the harbour.

But back to the campsite: the camping field is exposed. Check the weather forecast before you arrive! If a storm comes in you will need to be pitched correctly in a decent tent to survive intact. This includes the month of June!

As mentioned in other reviews the toilet block is small and basic but there was plenty of hot water and it was kept clean. The foundations have been laid for a new one but it doesn't look like it will open until next season?

There is a small playarea, shop and games room on site but we didn't use them so can't really comment.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mollys Owners 4 reviews from this member

Just returned from a 3 day weekend at this site. As others have posted the views are impressive and Portpatrick is a great wee fishing village only a 15 minute, dog friendly walk away. ( dog friendly pubs too - the crown hotel and the downshire hotel both allowed dogs in where food and drink is available)

The site has a high proportion of static caravans and there appear to be works underway to increase the capacity for both tourers and statics. If that is the case then there needs to be some improvement to the toilet facilities. They were clean and bright but only 2 toilet cubicles (mens block) 2 showers (only curtained and not great water pressure) and 2 washbasins were inadequate.

Nice friendly welcome at reception and an electrical problem dealt with quickly and successfully by the owner were pleasing aspects.

Our hardstanding pitch appeared to be newly laid and was level with only a short trip to the water, waste and CDU.

All in all we would return to Portpatrick at the drop of a hat, whether or not we returned to Castle Bay is up for debate. At £24 per night I feel it is overpriced for the facilities it offers.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Currycampers 19 reviews from this member

Stayed here for my husband and son to start the Southern Upland Way, which is within a few minutes walk of this site. We arrived in our campervan but also had two small tents on the tent field. The location is superb with castle and sea views. Having seen my husband and son off on their walk I decided to stay another night as this was such a lovely spot.

Portpatrick is only a few minutes (cliff top) walk away and is delightful. I found the manager friendly and helpful and would certainly return.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Alan-c1 8 reviews from this member

We visited this site as we'd heard it was well located and Portpatrick was close by; on both points this was indeed the case. However following check in the location was the only positive point in the sites favour.

The entire touring area of the site was as bumpy and uneven as I've ever seen, making levelling the caravan very awkward and time consuming; worse was to come though. The shower block is appalling; dated, dirty pre-fab miles from the touring pitches and very unpleasant to use being too small, full of cob-webs and not at all what I'd expected for the hefty pitch fees. Added to this the shop/reception had very restricted opening hours, there was no lighting after dark, no nearby stand pipes for filling up with/disposing of water and as stated toilet block a near 5 minute walk from the pitches. Suffice to say despite the beauty of Portpatrick I won't return to this site.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Simpson36 1 review from this member

Views stunning, toilet/showers not so stunning, (as mentioned in previous feedback)

The facilities and the distance between campers/units, was a let down, when I contacted the owners and expressed my concerns that a caravan next to me had a large awning attached to it, and then placed a gazebo in front of it, resulting it being approximately only 18inches away from my camper, I was informed that the 6 metres from units means just that! Meaning awnings and Gazebos do not have to be 6 metres away.

I was informed that the people in the caravan “were regulars”, and that they had “assured” the owner of the site that they were not cooking in the gazebo and it would be taken down that evening, the owner gave his reassurance that he would check “in an hours time that the gazebo had been taken down” it was taken down two days later after the wind had blown it about.

Also the 18inch gap between my van and the gazebo was used as a smoking area.

There were also dogs not on leads, and dog poo bags stacked in the hedge.

Overall rating 7 just for the views.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Happycamp12 1 review from this member

We visited this site at the beginning of August and thought Port Patrick was lovely with beautiful views from the path as you walk into town (the path is at the side of the site with steps leading down to the harbour).

It was a relaxed site with safe areas for the kids to play/kick a football/ride a bike, so the wee one made friends.

The negative points would be the toilet block/showers - for the price charged we would have liked good facilities (cold showers for the men unfortunately as there was no hot water in the gents block. ) The facilities are not big enough for the number of campers and badly need renovating - showers have shower curtains rather than doors and these were very grubby as the site was busy. Also be prepared as the shop doesn't stock much, but there is a big Lidl 10 minutes away.

This site is worth going to for the location and views, but its facilities are a bit run down.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Andy75 45 reviews from this member

Spent one night here, was a late arrival but the checking in system worked well.

This is a very large commercial site, primarily for family's. The camping area was fairly big with outstanding views, although it was a fair drive through the hundreds of statics which I can imagine causes some disruption at times as the camping area was totally full.

The camping area is fairly flat with very well kept ground.

There is a very basic shop on site, although Portpatrick is only 20 minutes away on foot and well worth the walk.

I agree with the previous reviewer to a degree, the facilities were quite tired for a site this size, and in my opinion the ones near the camping slightly inadequate although I have seen a lot worse elsewhere. £10 for one person & backpacking tent was a wee bit steep I also felt considering I wasn't a walk in.

Despite the minor niggles the staff were very friendly indeed and felt they would help in any way.

I would certainly return here, although maybe out of season next time.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Wyrdcrow 3 reviews from this member

The location is glorious - wonderful sea views, easy access to the coastal path, and the town of Portpatrick is only a short walk away.

Pitch sizes are adequate - not generous but ok. However, some caravans were badly positioned in them. Our immediate neighbours were so close to our motorhome that often it felt as if they were in there with us. The site managers either didn't notice the chaotic, crowded positioning of caravans or they didn't care.

The shower block is appalling for a site that charges £22 a night in July. Four very 'tired' toilet cubicles and two showers is totally inadequate on a site that has 100+ people in tents, caravans and motorhomes. The two showers have no doors - just curtains. The water reduces to a trickle whenever anyone flushes a toilet or runs a tap in the block. The washing-up area was also far too small for the number of people using it.

The site shop is hopeless, constantly running out of basics such as milk. Again, there seems to be a complete lack of thoughtfulness and care. With so many touring visitors and many more in the scores of statics surrounding them, you'd think the site shop would be a good little business. But no.

There's no dedicated MSP and the CDU is a slog to get to - thoughtlessly positioned too far away from where tourers and campers are actually pitched.

We've stayed on so many lovely sites, from little CLs to big Club sites, where the owners have gone to great lengths to give their guests a pleasant stay. Such a shame, because with some investment, thoughtfulness and care, this could be a fantastic site.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: THOMPSONTENT 2 reviews from this member

We camped at Castlebay for 4 nights through midsummer & the summer solstice. Having arrived later on our first evening, we didn't pick up the welcome information provided & being more intent on pitching before the sun set, pitched in an area outside the invisible line flanked by 2 small bollards. Being very happy with the tents position & overlooking the Irish sea on a warm, calm night, we settled down to rest. There were no other tents whatsoever on the site. In the morning having gone to reception to pay for the stay & pick up the loo/kitchen block key, we were asked to move the tent because, 'everyone likes to camp down there & have BBQs & don't use the toilet block. We can't have that & you must pitch above the (invisible) line. It's been a site rule that goes back many years'. Despite explaining that we had a portable loo, we were still asked to move, much to our disappointment due to the sloping nature of the tenting area. Only one more tent appeared for the rest of the weekend.

The toilet block provides adequate facilities & hot showers although no power points for e. G. Hairdryer. There is a small area to wash utensils that accommodates one person at a time. The site shop had very little stock & many empty shelves & doesn't sell the basics, morning rolls or newspapers. The shop staff were very nice & very helpful.

The picturesque village of Portpatrick is a short walk away either on the coastal path or down through the old railway track, both very nice walks. There are 3 hotels, all serving food all day & with live music. We have never experienced such helpful, can do, staff in each! How nice.

In all the stay was fine & the summer solstice very special as we looked out over the Irish sea from our pitch & watched the various lighthouses flashing in the dark. The site is worth visiting just to experience the views!

Previous     33 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Castle Bay Holiday Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Castle Bay Holiday Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Castle Bay Holiday Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Stranraer      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Dumfries and Galloway

1970 Visitors online !