Reviews of The Huntsman And Hounds

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Essex > Althorne > The Huntsman And Hounds Reviews

The Huntsman And Hounds
Green Lane
Althorne
Essex   (Browse area)
CM3 6BJ

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool 5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf 5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach 5 miles   Watersports 5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  34 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: User2 4 reviews from this member

The site is a large field next to the pub. They charge £20 a night just to stop. They didnít tell us that for EHU you pay £5 extra for a card. We didnít try the shower as it was an extra £1. They donít tell you anything, they just take your money. So for your 20 quid you donít get much. The field has an array of rotting caravans, which doesnít add to the charm. When we left the next day we had to find someone at the pub to unlock the gate. The site isnít close to anything, other than the pub. Very expensive mistake, donít bother.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: 29scrabbly 9 reviews from this member

Booked this site as it had a pub but the night we wanted to eat 'the staff hadn't turned up ' so no food available. That meant a 20min drive to the next nearest pub. Front entrance VERY off putting as you have to park on the main road, go to the pub to get the key, open the gate (heavy), set up where you wanted, then shut the gate and return the key !

No instructions as to where was hook up available, where toilets, where showers. We had to hunt to find anyone to make enquiries. We even found it difficult to find anyone to pay ! The performance with the gate meant we left the car behind the pub which was inconvenient as I leave the cases in the car to avoid cluttering the van. Every change of clothes meant a walk to the pub and back. Lots of caravan storage which makes it look unkempt. Lots of lived in vans as well and flat bed trucks which shouldn't have mattered but it did. Too far from anywhere interesting. On enquiring from the barmaid she said that was why people came. Takes all sorts ! We were booked in for 4 nights but left after 1. Just weren't happy there.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Stevenlesley 4 reviews from this member

We stopped a night here at end of June while exploring this part of Essex. It was a Sunday night and that meant the pub shut early so couldn't verify the reviews of good beer and food (which we would have liked to do).

The camping field is at the back of the pub and there were a number of long stay caravans which wasn't a problem though. Basic shower facilities in a small building adjacent to the pub, the challenge was first to locate it then find the door code to get in.

Showers were basic but obviously not adequately cleaned regularly which is a shame as the site has such a great potential if it was smartened up with a little more effort, which was the main negative about this site for us, but don't let that put you off, just be aware. The pub toilets remained open all night for access (but not the bar!).

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Slowcyclist 1 review from this member

I'd cycled over 80 miles on my fully laden touring bike by the time I got to Maldon, some of it being paced at time trial speed by a kindly guide on a nice light road bike. What I needed was a beer, some food and a pitch for the night. I got all three. The barmaid gave me a cheery smile and a pint, followed swiftly by another. The guy in charge of camping told me where to go, Essex style: by which I mean he told me where I could pitch my tent and Jim, the landlord, offered to cook my dinner although it was, technically, his day off.

Not only that, Jim was looking for his golf shoes and the evidence suggested he finds it tricky to do more than one thing at time. A fact that was confirmed when he was still trying to focus on that task at well after ten o'clock. For the record, my steak and ale pie hit the spot and the beers were all spot on. Yes, I did sample a few.

I can't vouch for the shower facilities as I made an early getaway, with the promise of a luxurious bath at my brother's house later in the day.

Cheers, Jim!

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Cranky 11 reviews from this member

Spent a very enjoyable weekend here. We have our own facilities so didn't use site shower but toilets were fine and open all night. The field was mown and although there is a few 'long term' vans around its not a problem and most sites have them. Pub is lovely and food and beer excellent. Hook ups seem new and are the card system.

Will be returning.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Austin10 1 review from this member

Excellent basic site. Stayed 4 nights. Very good pub to sit in during the evening with friendly locals, tasty food (especially Sunday lunch) and excellent beer (need to pre-order food in the evening during the week). Toilet facilities are the pub toilets left open each night which were clean, and lights on. Basin is small but quick hot water. Why do some people nick plugs? Shower is in a separate shabby-looking building. Half-hourly bus service to Burnham, Maldon, Chelmsford from a stop a third of a mile away beside the Althorne post office/shop (although bus travels within 200metres but no stop nearby). Field was clean. Did not use a hook-up. 2 of us with tent was £10 per night. Brilliant value! Would use it again.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Jcamper 4 reviews from this member

Nice location. But I tend to disagree with the previous comments about a 'real' camping experience. Yes this site is basic but not my idea of real camping. Basically it is just a field behind a pub (albeit a good pub). The area is strewn with rubbish and the facilities filthy. There doesn't seem to be any 'rules' or anyone keeping an eye on things. This place would be ok for a stop over maybe but I wouldn't recommend it to families or to stay long. It is very cheap £13 per night. 'Real' camping would be a field perhaps -but not with rubbish everywhere. Great potential here but sadly not tapped in to. I wouldn't go back to camp - but maybe I would to the pub!

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andrewandsara 1 review from this member

We have been visiting the Huntsman & Hounds site for 7 or 8 years now and can only recommend this site as a 'real' camping experience. It's a large field by a friendly local pub with basic washing facilities. Isn't that what camping is all about. !

We camp with 3 other couples with our various children of all ages most of which are now teenagers and they can wander freely throughout the surrounding fields. They can enjoy the freedom in a natural environment safe in the knowledge that us adults are nearby ready to feed them when necessary! There are good local facilities not more than a mile away for emergency supplies and those of a more energetic nature could walk for miles within the Essex countryside which in itself can be a surprise.

Yes, it is close to a nearby pub but there is never any noise from the patrons who arrive and leave all day. The warm reception we receive from the staff every year is always welcoming and friendly and they are more than happy to accommodate our large party when we order our food on a Saturday night - which by the way is good value and tasty.

We will be going back again for sure next year.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dream Catcher 21 reviews from this member

Wonderful, simple site. As previous reviews mention it's a field next to a pub with electric hook-up points dotted around the field.

The pub is excellent, with good grub and well kept beers and welcoming staff. I had a really good steak during our stay.

I would not hesitate to recommend this site but feel a couple of constructive comments appropriate.

The electric hook-up points. Some of these need some attention. Some have become hidden by overgrown vegetation and the covers have come loose. Also the socket I plugged into wasn't very secure.

Lights didn't work in the shower and had to shower with the doors open, but wasn't disturbed and modesty secure.

Chemical/sewage disposal point could be a bit more user friendly.

However these are minor, easily sorted-out details in what is over all a lovely place to stay.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pinkpalace 2 reviews from this member

This is going to sound bad after all those good reviews but here goes.

When we arrived at this site I actually thought it was a travellers site it was such a mess. Bins overflowing, empty caravans all over the place using up the very few electric points. Alot of transits and work vans. Showers were probably in the middle of a refit as full of dust and also no light.

Ok so we stayed the pub was lovely and the toilets were clean and worked and had 24hr access. The beer was wonderful and so were the locals.

This site is very basic but we will actually go back as the pub makes it. Its such a shame with a bit of money spent on new electrics and making the stored vans move off the main site. Perhaps trimming the hedges and mowing the field will make such a huge difference also a bit of hardcore needed on the entrance as in the wet it was very muddy.

Previous     34 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other Sites Near Althorne      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Essex

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan Motorhome and Holiday Home Show 06/02 to 09/02
In Glasgow - Over 200 companies will be showcasing their products and offering visitors show only discounts and offers. Plus win tickets! ...more