Visitor Reviews - Duloch Hamlet Gimme Shelter Camping

Campsite Search > UK > Scotland > Fife > Dunfermline > Duloch Hamlet Gimme Shelter Camping Reviews

Duloch Hamlet Gimme Shelter Camping
Inverkeithing
Dunfermline
Fife   (Browse area)
KY11 7HR
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: May To September

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   Glamping Units
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Toilet Facilities   No Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: April 2019 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: Webmaster

Please note we have now been advised by the owners that this site is open to the public and regulars.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Heath63 13 reviews from this member

This time last year, I left a review. Not a lot to add. It's a great little campsite, if you like back to basics and enjoy a campfire, this is the site for you. Basics mean no running water except for a tap at the gate entrance, the toilet is the dunny. Yvonne and Chris are lovely people, very friendly.

Not far is a retail outlets for any shopping.

On this trip we took the boat ride on the Forth, we all enjoyed it. The commentary was great and got to see seals sunbathing. On board there are toilets and bar, which serves beverages: tea, coffee, alcohol and snacks. Hawes Inn is highly recommended found opposite the landing stage, all this is found in South Queensferry, which is a lovely historical town.

I just can't believe that there is only one review since my last one.

I have given the site a high rating, . However if you like running water, flushing toilets and EHU and heated facilities then this site is not for you.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Taz07 1 review from this member

Myself and my four girls had a ball back to basics which was an experienced in itself when it comes to 4 kids that are not used to not having wifi. But they did well and mucked in and we got tent up and all sorted while I got the fire going to get there tea on the go. We all had toasted marshmallows and girls sang songs in the rain loved every minute and will definitely be back again just a pitty I had to get back early on leaving as I would of still been there. Loved every minute and will definitely be back. Love wilson clan xx

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Heath63 13 reviews from this member

What a gem of a site, just North of Edinburgh. Family run, site, the owners are a lovely, friendly couple. A very qirky, rustic; everything is hand built, made from recycled wood.

Pitches are are scattered around, individually named, they give you a sense of privacy, fires are allowed each pitch has a fire pit, bench/tables. Pitches are either in the woods or on open ground which are surrounded by brambles/BlackBerry bushes. Cars are parked in the lane, with a short walk to the pitches. Drinking water standpipe is by the entrance. Toilets are composted.

For those who want, flushing toilets, running hot water, showers and underfloor heating. This site won't be for you.

For those who enjoy back to basics and no EHU, then you will like it.

There are a few chainstores for provisions not too far away.

A leisure center provides showers for a fee.

Definitely go back.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sglgiles 1 review from this member

I took it in to my head to go camping on my own for 2 days in some of the worst rain and winds we have had all summer.

My family fully expected me to be swept away, and I was, by the friendliness and amazing facilities of this site.

The little groves that the individual lots are in mean that the wind was mostly dissipated by the trees, and also leave a girl feeling like she really is the only person on site (when I know I wasn't). The individual fire pits and wooden furniture are also a lovely touch.

When I read there would be sawdust toilets I was expecting something like from Guide Camp of old, a trench. What it actually means is beautifully constructed wooden huts using old furniture and fittings to give a lovely retro feel. They are pleasant to use, and if used properly do not smell.

The owners are very lovely and where quite concerned about me on my own in the weather, but the peacefulness of the surroundings meant I slept like a baby. The nearby motorway is not intrusive, though I was a little disturbed by the air traffic waiting to land in Edinburgh. I could also hear some train noise but since I used to live practically on top of the train station in Inverkiething this was quite relaxing for me.

I can not wait to hurry back!

Date of Visit: December 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bangell1959 3 reviews from this member

Spent 1 night at this fantastic site in between Xmas and New Year. After a very easy e-mail exchange

To book a pitch, Chris met me at the gate and showed me a few of the woodland pitches that I had asked for. After selecting a great pitch I was shown where the water, toilets and wood store were. Spent a great night by a nice warm fire looking at a clear star filled sky. Brilliant site, friendly owners and I will def' use again. Highly recommend it if a no frills camping experience is what you like.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: D8ncer 4 reviews from this member

Had a one night stay at this site on a Saturday night. The owner was great, meeting us at the gate and showing us to our pitch.

Site has lots of pitches for different sized tents and all have an area for having a campfire. Although there are many pitches with some fairly close to each other, due to the trees and bushes you feel like you are the only ones there.

When you are staying, it feels like you are wild camping without the wild, and makes for a magical experience. Although it was raining and drizzly we still had our campfire and sat out until late at night enjoying the piece and quiet.

Toilets and facilities are basic, but still clean and looked after. They will be nothing like most are used to but have a natural charm that we loved.

Due to its location, don't get any of the dreaded midges as well. Great site to allow visiting Dunfermline with all its historical sites such as King Robert the Bruce's burial site inside Dunfermline Abbey. Also the Andrew Carnegie birthplace museum. Lots of History around Dunfermline that most don't realise with it also having been up to the 17th century the capital of Scotland before Edinburgh.

Half an hour over the forth bridge and you are in Edinburgh or great one night stopover if you are heading north on a longer trip around Scotland.

We actually come from Dunfermline and had never visited the site. Such a mistake and will be back as soon as we can.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fraserrankin 1 review from this member

Have just returned from first camping trip with 2 four year olds.

What a gem of a campsite and it's everything the boys expected and more. The owners were so nice and welcoming.

I'm not a fan of organised camping, so this was the perfect venue as it still has the natural and rustic feel with the security of a site.

We shall return

Fraser R

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Armchaircamper 22 reviews from this member

Just an additional piece of information which might be useful to anyone going to this campsite. The shower facilities which are available at the nearby Duloch Leisure Centre now cost 2. 70, considerably up on last year's prices. For that you get hot water and the use of a hairdryer but take your own towel and toiletries. I can only speak for the ladies' facilities but there is a communal changing room and three powerful showers in spacious individual cubicles.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Krazykamper 37 reviews from this member

Well. I can only echo what others have already mentioned. This truly is a quirky rustic site. Will I be back? Try and stop me!

When you first arrive, don't be put off by the big locked gate. If no one is around, there is a mobile number to call and someone will come and let you in.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted by the owners. What a lovely friendly couple. I was shown to my pitch 'strawberry field'. This pitch was near the top of the site and the motorway traffic could be heard slightly but this did not spoil my time here. There are four little pitches just off strawberry field which came in handy as I was meeting up with other UKCS members.

The toilets are not too bad once you get the hang of it. I particularly loved the reading material on the walls of the 'dunnie'! Antibacterial hand wash and proper towels were provided which was a nice touch. There are no showers on site but when your sitting chilling out round a campfire all day there seems little need for them. There are showers at a nearby leisure centre if required.

You can buy a big trug bucket of firewood for five pounds. This includes some kindling and paper. Very useful to get the fire initially up and running! The owners also operate an honesty box so there is firewood available whenever you need it.

If you are very lucky, you may spot a badger! There is a badger hide for visitors to use. The best time to spot them is just before dusk!

I just love this site. Each pitch is so very different. Most pitches come with handmade table and benches. The owner made a lovely new bench for my pitch while I was there. I'm sure I will be back soon sitting round that fire listening to Mr Owl hooting away!

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other Sites Near Dunfermline      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Fife

Win Kids Camping Essentials worth 100! Win a BUZZ RACK Buzzpro Towball Platform

UKCS Meet Shackerstone Family Festival 31/08 to 01/09, Leicestershire
Includes arena entertainment, vintage cars, canal boats, planes, railways and much more! EXCLUSIVE Discounted weekend camping tickets ...more