Reviews of Comrie Croft

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021
           01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   No Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <5 miles
 Fishing <5 miles   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire On Site   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport On Site  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: July 2021  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Scott1 1 review from this member

Campsite is brilliant, definitely going back for at least a couple of nights.

Only niggle was folk parking at the drop off zone. Still, all animals are equal. Lol

Date of Visit: July 2021  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Lynnef 1 review from this member

We loved the location - we were in the Mill Pond above the High Meadow. (We booked the High Meadow, but there were no pitches left by the time we got there).

We especially loved that we could have a fire. My little girl also really enjoyed it, especially the rope swing and the stream in the forest at the top of the hill.

I would say that the toilets and washing up facilities could have been a bit better, especially when paying £15 per night per adult. And it was much busier than I expected!

I didn't realise the Croft was a hub for mountain bikers! There was a lot of noise, hustle and bustle around the shop and restaurant area, with a lot of people camping really close to one another. I'm really glad we weren't there as it was noisy.

Also, there was a wedding on Monday night, so or evening wasn't as quiet and relaxing as we'd hoped for! Thankfully the music went off just after 11pm.

Date of Visit: May 2021  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Gregor 1 review from this member

Great site with all the amenities you could need.

Only negative point related to showers, very small cubicles (although hot and powerful enough). Shower booking system not really working and respected by all campers.

Date of Visit: September 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Wetmac 1 review from this member

This has been my first visit to a camp site for a number f years as I love to wild camp. Unfortunately, because of disability, my days if wild camping are over. Never mind. At Comrie Croft I have found a camp site that is really geared up for disabled campers. The staff all go above and beyond to make your visit a memorable one and I should know. I arrived on the Tuesday, got woken in the middle of the night by the mother and father of a thunder and lightning storm and by 1030 the following day the wind was gusting to 80mph. Once the wind got up the staff moved like lightning themselves and they collapsed my tent and lashed it down for me. The site administration then put me up overnight in the hostel at no extra charge. (The hostel is also well worth a visit BTW). I went to the tea shop for my breakfast and by the time I had finished the staff had re-erected my tent for me. The tea shop caters mostly for vegetarians although their mat pie is delicious and you can get a bacon butty etc. The cakes are superb and the chef makes the food on site and I am looking forward to seeing a copy of her cookbook when she has finished getting it together. The level of professionalism throughout and the friendliness of the staff simply cannot be overstated. The farm shop is limited but is still worth a go and I used it to top up my veggies and to buy fresh rolls. There is an 11pm curfew on noise and even when there is a wedding on they have a silent disco. It is a dog friendly site and if you want a fire or a bbq then there are fire bowls which are available to use. Because of my disabilities I camped in the Lower Meadow but there are further places higher up including a wooded area to camp in. I entertained my grandson over one weekend and I did not see him. He hired a bike from the on site bike shop and that was him. There are 3 bike trails depending on ability and there is even a bike for those less able to cycle up hills etc. So is ideal for someone such as myself. The site is so good that I have booked to go back their twice next year.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Canvasheather 3 reviews from this member

We have stayed here 3 times now and love it. We twice hired a Kata and the third time took our own tent which we pitched in the low meadow. I loved the chilled out feel of this site. Well behaved dogs came visiting the tents not tied up on short leads like most sites prefer. Most use the supplied Firepit to sit by with family and friends having a leisurely drink. There didn't appear to be 'curfews' to follow here, just common sense and decency. The facilities are perfect just as required. From the katas the toilet block is only a 2 min walk through the woods in cut out tracks.

The katas are extremely comfortable and spacious with a large lounging area to chill as a family and play board games when the weather was inclement.

Reviewer: Zeryx 16 reviews from this member

We stayed for a weekend in the lower meadow. A really lovely site, fire pits available to use and you can buy wood to burn from the shop at a very reasonable price. A really nice flat field. Not a particularly noisy site but it's not as restrictive as some I've visited. The shop is basic but adequate and there's a rather nice café on site too. Nice central location to explore the area. There's lots of good walking in the area too.

Reviewer: Bowies 4 reviews from this member

Great site for families, several different areas to pitch, we were in Low Meadow which has 11 pitches (allegedly) but on enquiring if I could take 2 small tents rather than my large tent I was told no it only had 11 pitches on low meadow and they were full. So was surprised to find 15 tents pitches on the 11 pitches.

Other members of forum were pitched in woodlands which has 12 individual pitches nestled between the trees, access is up a very steep hill and although cars allowed to drop off equipment etc it can still be a trek to pitches.

There are 3 showers and 4 toilets(maybe another 2 toilets in reception) a bit tired looking but clean. A lovely tearoom on site worth a visit too.

It is a stunning location and is a haven for cyclists as it has mountain bike trails and kids bike area too, (you can also hire bikes). It was fantastic to see so many kids running about the woods and fields using their imaginations, as it seems a safe family site.

They also have Katha's (swedish teepee type structures) for hire, which looked really good and maybe worth a winter visit as they have lovely wee stoves inside them.

Hopefully I will get to return to this lovely site.

Reviewer: JimCall 12 reviews from this member

This is really a follow up from my previous visit to this site. I am pleased to say it is every bit as good as I remember it!

The only hiccup we had (as a group) because we did not book as a group we were spread out over the pitches. To make things worse, some new staff were on and one or two of our group were put on pitches we hadnt booked on. A minor distraction for us but a situation which should improve as the new staff 'bed in'.

The cafe on site still serves great home baking!

I have only knocked off a couple of points because of the problems with the pitch allocations.

I was on pitch one which was probably the poorest in terms of location, slope and size. It didn't bother me as my cook tent was further up at Krazy's pitch. Being down on the low meadow first time, it was a bit odd climbing up and down hills a few times to get gear to the pitch and if we were going back as a group I think the top pitches would be a better option.

All in all a great site in a great location with caring staff. What more can you ask for really.

Ps there is a new composting toilet being built in the top meadow which should relieve congestion a bit!

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Halfpint78 9 reviews from this member

We are just back from this amazing site. We opted for a woodland pitch and were not disappointed. We were nestled in the woods but still close to the facilities and most importantly the bike park. My 11 yr old had an absolute ball and disappeared at every opportunity to practice his skills. The only slight issue was the number of unsupervised wee ones playing in there - I'm all for them having fun but it was dangerous at times with kids going the wrong way up a run and cutting across tracks.

We were only there a couple of days but exhausted by the end between the bike park, blue mountain bike trail and walks in the woods. The highlight for my son was the campfires. Each woodland pitch has a fire pit and we cooked on the campfire morning and night. If you are coming as a group the high or low meadows seem to be the place to be.

The staff were friendly and went out of their way to help. We had an introduction to campfires by one guy! They were happy to answer any queries. The cafe on site has a basic selection of soups, sandwiches and cakes - I'd recommend the Victoria sponge!

The only thing to be aware of is the lack of toilet/shower facilities. A total of 4 toilets and 3 showers which led to queues at busy times. They weren't the cleanest either. To be honest it didn't really bother us and it didn't detract from the overall experience.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Fay Fife 14 reviews from this member

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at Comrie Croft. We were sad to leave, and bid it a reluctant farewell.

The site is in an excellent location for us - an hour and half's drive away from home in Midlothian. It's not so far as to be a big journey, but far enough that we felt that we were getting away from it all.

If you stay at Comrie Croft in a large tent, you have to pick between two pluses and two minuses - the Low Meadow is convenient for the facilities, but busy and noisy, and when we were there, very crowded.

The High Meadow has space, peace and views, but the traipse back and forth to the facilities is pretty gruelling. It's quite far, and rather steep.

The woodland pitches weren't an option for us as our tent was too large for them, but be assured that the woodland pitches did look lovely nestled into the trees - all very leafy and secluded.

I was lucky enough to be invited into a Kata for a look, and can vouch for their utter fabulousness. As we have a bell tent of our own, and all the gear pertaining to the same, we would have no need of hiring one. But they are wonderful nonetheless.

We elected to book in the High Meadow for the views, rather than the Low Meadow for convenience, and the outlook from there was lovely. Rolling hills all around, with patchwork countryside below, and big skies above.

We bemoaned the 4. 30am toilet trip though, including the uphill trek back. I'd say the High Meadow definitely suffers from the absence of a more accessible toilet. It was hard work for the parents of little ones, like us.

The facilities (when you eventually get there) are perfectly acceptable, if a little dim. So take a torch with you. Take your own hand towels too, because the damp, smelly ones on offer for drying hands on, were bogging. Yuck!

The fire pits were great and £6 bought you a really decent sized bag of logs. We built a fire every night, and cooked on it too. Perfect!

During our stay we visited Crieff, including McCrosty Park, went waterfall hunting in the hills, strolled around Drummond Castle Gardens, and ate a very fine fish supper from the chippy in Comrie, while sitting on the banks of beautiful Loch Earn at sunset.

While we were on site, our kids played on the swings, chatted to the chickens, made a few friends, and enjoyed exploring the place in relative freedom. They all give Comrie Croft a big thumbs up.

We had lunch at the very pretty Tea Garden before leaving, and found it tasty, but on the overly pricey side.

There's no doubt that this site has good rustic appeal and a jolly, relaxed atmosphere. We will definitely return for another stay. There are one or two niggles here and there, but when you look at the other sites on offer in the area, they just do not compare.

Great site - would recommend.

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Is Comrie Croft child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Comrie Croft?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Comrie Croft dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Crieff      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Perthshire

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park, Kent 18/09 to 19/09
UK's largest outside dog show for working, trained and pet dogs held at the Kent Showground. Weekend camping available on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021