Reviews of Castle View Caravan Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > East Sussex > Pevensey Bay > Castle View Caravan Site Reviews

Castle View Caravan Site
Eastbourne Road
Pevensey Bay
East Sussex   (Browse area)
BN24 6DT
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: 01/03 To 01/11

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach <1 mile   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  35 in total, now showing 11 to 20                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bigbig 1 review from this member

What a blast. Great campsite, plenty of room and loads of hotwater in the showers.

Pecency bay is just down the road(try the tea rooms for a good cooked breakfast).

Eastbouerne is a couple of mules away alone the seafront.

The side is maybe a little run down, but just make do, after all you are camping.

Don't knock small sites like this one. I think its a keeper.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Landsnew 1 review from this member

Only our 2nd trip out with our young family and newly acquired abi maurder,

Very friendly staff, and quite a few regulars who were only to happy to stop and have a chat,

Huge site, pretty much pitch up where you want, electric hook ups everywhere,

Toilets are clean and basic certainly not state of the art but functional, masses of hot water from showers and no silly push button affairs !

No complaints, just good old fashioned caravan site which is more in keeping with the 70s rather than 2012s, put a huge smile on all our faces, and we didn't feel the poor relation unlike the 5star we visited 3 weeks earlier! 10/10

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mmmmmaybe 1 review from this member

Needing to visit the Eastbourne area for the weekend, the Google search began hotels were too expensive so as past campers we decided to fix the airbed and buy a new 2 man tent. I phoned and booked Thursday evening for Friday and Saturday nights, I spoke to very pleasant man who I advised we would be arriving late evening which he assured me was no problem, he advised me it would be £16:00 per night and their was plenty of space for tents without electric.

My husband then happened to look at the reviews which are very mixed, we decided to give it a go as it couldn't be that bad.

We arrived on Friday and were greeted by the pleasant man and given directions on where we could find the new/old toilets and options for pitching. So we pitched the tent and made a cuppa, Water taps close by and bins. Then came the 1st toilet trip to the old block 12 toilets, 15 basins and 7 showers available, not all the toilet doors close fully but the one third from the end does. Although the toilets aren't 4 star they were ok with plenty of paper.

Saturday mornings shower was good plenty of hot water and door which closed and locked, the plumbing looks a bit strange but turn on the stop tap and fiddle the lever for the perfect temperature not sure I'd be keen on letting a youngster use them unsupervised as water can be very hot if on full.

I did visit the new toilet block 3 toilets 4 showers clean and tidy, I mainly used the old block as they were closer, my husband also used the old block although he was intrigued with the ceiling some water damage was evident apparently.

Overall the Site is big and open, if not a little cluttered and run down in places but it is peaceful. The Eastbourne Road can be busy but you don't notice it after 1/2 hour and as its only a 10 minute walk to Pevensey Bay it suited us well and we will be returning as we appreciate that going camping is supposed to be going back to basics, so if you want all the mod cons and commercial entertainment then no its probably not for you !

Date of Visit: March 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Smith774 2 reviews from this member

Well I pulled in here last minute just for one night on my way along the south coast and its was surprising really.

On the face of it the site looks run down but they are such welcoming people. it was quiet and we really enjoyed it. we were told to pitch where we wanted so chose a quiet corner.

The toilet block was bad, I don't know how else to describe it, dirty smelly, a mess.

The pitches are uneven but when it's quiet it's easy to get a level bit.

Its a shame because all they need to do is just take some care over the place, tidy it up etc, I do think people are a little harsh but I can see why because it's not cheap and you expect it to be.

All the facilities are run down and need repairing.

Sorry to say that I would only return if I was stuck and couldn't get in anywhere else.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Rolf 2 reviews from this member

This place is really run down. The buildings must be decades old, layers of paint peel off the walls. We stayed for only two nights. Upon arrival we found the toilets dirty and they were only cleaned, or rather hosed down, two days later. The sinks and faucets hardly worked.

Large rubbish containers were placed about the site, but in the morning we found bottles and even food lying around them: good for rats!

For a car, a family of three and two small tents we paid 26 pounds per night. This is no value for the money.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Nobbynumbnut 3 reviews from this member

I am going to have to try very hard to remain objective with this review but I promise to try.

Letís begin with the positive:

Castle view had late availability for the 'Airbourne' air show. For this the location was superb. In fact you could even see the Red Arrows fly into the display from the site.

I'm afraid that is where the positive element of this review, sadly, comes to an end.

From the moment we arrived we realised that we had made a terrible mistake. From the potholed driveway entrance we arrived at the run down reception. We were greeted by a pleasant enough chap who took our £92. 00 for a four night stay. He pointed us in the general direction of the camping field with basic instructions on how to park up.

There are no marked out plots or staked to back into. As such the pitching arrangements where very chaotic and we managed to slide in where we could. The ground was incredibly uneven and I had to seek out extra blocks for the corner steadies. Not that that bothered us too much as we donít mind a 'rugged' camping experience.

Once parked up I decided to explore the surroundings. What struck me first was the array of derelict Static caravans as you entered the park. Somewhere obviously being used as storage of what looked like scrap timber and mattresses. Some of the statics has bed sheets up at the windows in the absence of curtains and it really did look awful.

I then made the mistake of checking out the toilet block. What I was greeted with absolutely shocked me to the core. The toilets were leaking onto the floor, the urinals where 'bandaged' up, begrimed and smelt awful.

Whenever we needed to go to the 'big' loo. We either hopped into the car and went to ASDA's of held it until we could get a public loo (All of which were preferable to Castle View)

Even if you like the 'rugged' approach to camping I would not recommend this site. If you have a modicum of self respect you will probably do what we did. For the first time ever we ended our trip early and left the site with two nights to go. We were so happy to do so we did not even contemplate trying to get a refund. We were just happy to leave.

We will not be returning. !

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Mentalmark 1 review from this member

I live local to this site and decided just to have a look out of curiosity.

Shabby reception , but staff are friendly and as I didn't need a hook up I was told to park wherever I liked.

Massive field, no one camps on top of one another.

Shower and toilet block were old and you could say run down , but clean enough and I was informed that there was a newer block to use too

Wash up area large and clean and always plenty of hot water for washing up and showers

Neatly mown by ride on tractor despite previous reviews

Plenty of fresh water taps across the site, one was leaking and came off in my sons hand but was fixed within minutes of us notifying reception

I went for a Saturday/Sunday stay and decided to stay Sunday night. Then I decided to take Monday off. Then Tuesday

A great site for just enjoying some peace and time out with plenty of safe space for kids to run around

Also about a mile walk from supermarket

Was allowed amplified music within reason and a fire on a raised barbie

Will definitely be coming back

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Flossydrop 6 reviews from this member

We booked this site on Thursday and being totally honest it was the only site in Eastbourne that we could get a EHU. I wasn't too concerned about the reviews as we didn't plan to spend time on site so a lack of facilities wasn't an issue for us.

My husband checked in and the gentleman in the (rather run down) reception area was helpful and polite as they were on the phone. We were offered 2 different EHU points and the gentleman remembered that I had mentioned being located near to the 'newer' loos on site.

When I went to use the toilets/showers on Saturday morning in the newer block (I think they were new in the early 1980's) I didn't think they were too bad. However there were no hooks in the showers, there had been in the past but for what ever reason they were no longer there. As the floor was wet and a little grubby and no facility to mop etc I was unable to shower as I couldn't put my clothes etc anywhere.

The site is run down, there are some very old and dirty static caravans, one derelict van located right next to the entrance to the mens loos ! The roads do have pot holes in them, there are lots of weeds including some growing in the loo entrance but the grassed areas seemed fine. The view from the campsite is lovely, there are fields surrounding the site which is really relaxing.

The location of the site is good, we explored the local area in our motorhome and were blessed with lovely weather. We decided however to leave after one night as we were unable to shower and the gentleman next to us had a dog that was making me very nervous due to our dog recently being badly attacked and this gentleman seeming very nervous about his own dog.

Personally I wouldn't visit again unless I had no other option and I was only going for 1 night and didn't need a shower.

Not a lot of money could turn this place around, a mop and bucket and some hooks in the toilets would change my decision not to return so hopefully the owner will take some action soon.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: London Woman 2 reviews from this member

Sorry, I have to come to rescue of this great camp site once again as visited so many times during July and August this year - and will be back next year. Easy to leave a tent for a few days for next to nothing when you want to be back later btw, great stuff!

Where do you find a site for a fair price (for what it is) these days where you can turn up whenever you feel like it, where there is a lot of space between the tents and where you're in such a great location?

For anyone who appreciates old-fashioned camping without frills, this is the ideal site (and there is a 2nd much nicer toilet block, btw). You pitch up in a place that tickles your fancy, and there is so much space between tents - you would never find that elsewhere locally.

Out of the 30 odd nights or so I have spent at this site so far, there has only been one occasion when there were noisy people about who were drunk and kept other awake. Generally, people are very nice and helpful - not in the 5* caravaning or camping sort of way - and the same goes for the great team that works there; wonderfully hands on.

I would hate to see this site go or someone else utilize it to maximise profits - it's one of the last sites where camping is camping, children and animals (generally well behaved) can run around freely, where there doesn't seem to be a (felt) need for a fat rulebook and tents are not becoming Victorian London terraces as they are at campsites on the other side of the road

Date of Visit: September 2010 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Mjrees 40 reviews from this member

My wife and I are trying to emulate the BBC Coast programme by driving round the UK coastline.

Like your reviewer 'Snappedpole' we found the staff extremely helpful and friendly but - well, having signed in and paid (£17), we found the showers filthy, in particular the ladies, where only 3 doors closed, few lights were working and the floor was covered in spilt paint and dirt.

The gents did not fair much better although the toilet doors seemed to close but there were broken toilet bowls leaking over the floor, no toilet rolls, no soap and no hand-drying equipment of any sort!

I think the final straw for me was having to scrape the corpses of various insects out of the one washing-up sink that wasn't covered in dried fat and stale vegetable remains!

When I informed the management of our discontent the following morning, I was directed to a 'Newer' brick-built shower/toilet facility beyond the old one.

Previous     35 Reviews in total, now showing 11 to 20      Next

Is Castle View Caravan Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Castle View Caravan Site?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Castle View Caravan Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Pevensey Bay      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Sussex

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more