Reviews of Castle View Caravan Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > East Sussex > Pevensey Bay > Castle View Caravan Site Reviews

Castle View Caravan Site
Eastbourne Road
Pevensey Bay
East Sussex   (Browse area)
BN24 6DT
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: 01/03 To 01/11

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach <1 mile   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  35 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: BIFF32 2 reviews from this member

Please don't be put off by previous reviews especially if you like your camping like I do a bit rugged. Yes the toilet / shower block is dated but I found it always clean and with plenty of hot water.

The owners are friendly and helpful and the other campers were all very nice, a mix of families and couples old and young. The field is a bit bumpy in places but easily negotiable.

The beach is minutes away as are shops and pubs. It's in a beautiful part of the country and for a couple of nights just perfect. If you want luxury with gold taps etc then don't go camping in the first place.

We will be going back over the rest of the summer for weekend stays regularly.

Date of Visit: June 2010 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Snappedpole 9 reviews from this member

This is not going to be my kindest review. I live local to the place and decided to spend a few nights over a weekend here. I think a lot of people submitting reviews on this place are holding back because the owners are very friendly but trust me, this is the ONLY thing this place has going for it.

As other people have mentioned the toilets are basic, and dated, but this is an understatement, we are talking 60's style broken fittings no plugs for sinks, no form of soap to wash with no seats for toilets. Yes it was cleaned or bleached but the menís always stunk of urine and I think half the time the floor was covered in it.

The main problem with this place is the type of people it attracts, it has got to be the worst in terms of noise level I have been too. I stayed up in the EHU pitches some way from the tents but I barely slept any night due to noise from the groups on the site it was incredible and went all through the night, with no sign of any rules there were dogs, car alarms, music. Maybe this was a one off but I doubt it

It was not a cheap experience either at nearly £30 a night for a family of 4 I have not walked away with a pleasant taste in my mouth. I would not recommend this place to anyone and this is not a common thing for me to say,

There are much better places just up the road, and to the owner if you are reading this please spend some money on the place and establish some rules and you would have a good site

To summarise bluntly it is simply run down and badly managed

Date of Visit: May 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: HydraGirl 7 reviews from this member

Wow! This was my first experience of caravanning since I was about six so was a little apprehensive. Having only bought our caravan a few weeks prior this was the only site available for the bank holiday weekend.

The location was brilliant and the space available was superb. However this was a very very basic site, and I could tell that even with my limited knowledge of modern caravanning sites.

We arrived late having had a slight technical problem with our newly purchased caravan however the warden was very accommodating and directed us to hook up wherever we wanted. We chose a spot near the river opposed to the road side as I have to put up with noisy vehicles where I live and I found our spot by the river was peaceful.

We did notice when we drove into the site how run down it looked. The toilet blocks were very noticeable and the static caravans looked tired and unkempt which gave an initial bad impression.

The following day I did have to venture to the toilet block and yes as everyone else has said it was very dated and basic. Paint was splattered on the floor and toilets were leaking, it just looked like someone should give it a bit of love. Personally I would recommend that the owners should spend a little money building a new toilet / shower and washing facilities block as they have a prime location and could make so much more of it. I have experienced much worse than this when travelling but for a few days stay you can over look this.

The site itself needed a little loving too. The road had pot holes that did nothing for the suspension. The grass was mowed with a normal lawn mover leaving cut grass over the surface which was dragged everywhere. I think also a few more hook up points are needed. It needs to be tidied up with bins hidden and boundaries cleared of nettles and brambles. Finally it was overpriced for what it was.

It's a shame this campsite has been left in such a sorry state especially when it is such a prime site. It needs some money spent on it and a little bit of a design forethought to bring it into the 21st Century which would make it a sort after site to stay at.

All I can say my first experience will not be my last. I loved my weekend caravanning and am looking forward to experiencing other sites. The only way is up, I hope.

Reviewer: Fishlips 1 review from this member

If you need a basic site to stay overnight this may fit the bill, I personally would not recommend it for a stay longer than a couple of nights during high season.

The site is well located and large, but the facilities have seen better days and need some investment. You can pitch were you want and have plenty of space. The best areas away from the road go first, most of these are already taken by tenant pitches.

When its quiet the site must be a pleasure to stay in with almost the whole field to yourself. The staff appear to be genuinely friendly and helpful. On the other side of the reception buildings is part of the site not in use, this appears to be where caravans go to die!

Children need to be supervised more than normally due to the deep river on one side and the main road on the other. Traffic on the main road is heavy and fast, even during the early morning. The road is screened by trees with open gaps in the fence which would present no challenge to any child or pet.

The site does not pretend to be anything that its not, it only offers the bare minimal facilities. If you need anything apart from the very basics, this may not be the place for you.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Joestables 3 reviews from this member

The previous reviewer has described this campsite well. The washroom was so awful it was funny. When it rained it rained in, the seats came off the toilets, the doors wouldn't shut/bolt and yet there was hot water, the loos did flush and there was loo roll. It couldn't look clean because of the decay and paint splodges, spatters and drips over everything but it was cleaned and whilst the place smelled it usually smelled of bleach.

The men running the place were friendly, the site was quiet, had wide open spaces and enough electric hookups to go round. It also had wide open views on the one side and a high hedge on the other to the main road. There were bus-stops outside the gate with a regular and frequent service between Eastbourne and Hastings. There was also a cycle path running alongside toward Pevensey Bay in one direction and Eastbourne in the other.

Given the cost I should try a different site on my next visit to Eastbourne but I'd return to this one if I had to. In fact I tried on the Bank Holiday but it was full!

Date of Visit: September 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ian_Russell 1 review from this member

Visited here last week and wanted to warn off other visitors!

The toilets are a positive health hazard, filthy, many not flushing, several not fixed to the floor properly. The urinals smelt bad and there was a great deal of 'fluid' on the floor. There is also a 'new' toilet block but this was little better.

The camping field is large enough but there was a lot of rubbish in the hedge. There are many subsidences in the field where water pipes have been laid. What hard core there was into the field was badly potholed. You are Ok in a 4x4 but not so funny in a normal saloon car.

Its really a shame as the area is nice with good cycle tracks on the main road and of course just a mile or so from Eastbourne Marina. However at £15 per night for two camping its simply unacceptable.

Reviewer: London Woman 2 reviews from this member

I, too, would like to come in defence of this campsite (though there is a lot wrong, of course):

Pros:

You can turn up any time/any day (even during the airshow weekend), and there is still space on this huge site.
Friendly staff always have time for you.
The facilities are cleaned once a day.
It is so big, there is a lot of space for everyone, and you pick where you pitch up.
You are allowed to bring animals (I didn't but enjoyed the company of well-behaved dogs, cats (yes), bunnies and the likes).
I have been there twice now, and it is a quiet site, unless you pitch up on the main road side perhaps. The guests are well-behaved, too, friendly, families, couples, single folks, many of them staying 2 or 3 weeks.
You can turn up at 9am, pick your pitch right away and stay till late on your departure day, where else do you gert a treat like that, and all for a tenner if you're a single person with a tent and a car?
You're 300m from the beach - cross the main road and walk through the access road of another campsite / sailing club. Beach never crowded, just perfect as far as pebbly beaches go

Cons:

The toilet/shower block (from the 50s, I assume) is atrocious; fittings ancient, dry rot, paint splashes and cobwebs everywhere around the ceiling. However, there is hot water all the time and you don't pay for a shower. Everything is cleaned once a day, and if you wear rubber sandals, it's just fine.
It can also be a long way from the far end of the camping field to the loo block, but it's your choice where you pitch up, of course.
There is no shop on the campsite, just a little portable unit that sells fast food during the holiday season on Friday and Sat nights, but there is a big ASDA's less than a mile away.

Reviewer: Chez2509 7 reviews from this member

We have just returned back from this campsite from hell one day early as we had just had enough. Avoid this place like the plague if you value yours and your family's health.

The main toilet/shower block on this site was disgusting! So bad in fact I had to call environmental health to report it(they'd been there 2 weeks previously).The manager informed me they were cleaned every morning but we new they weren't they were filthy. Two of the toilets continuously leaked(one of which was not secured to the floor) Some of the cubicles wouldn't close, some wouldn't lock(shower and toilets). The showers were so antiquated and only just got you wet The majority of them didn't have anywhere to hang your clothes so we had to hang them over the door, also there was no drying area so the floor was filthy(no mop),not to mention the dirty walls and dead bugs. The other block wasn't much better, again there was nowhere to hang your clothes.

The field itself was average, commercial bins were not hidden and were an eyesore, there was no discipline so there was scorched grass due to campfires, rubbish left, large potholes which caused peoples exhausts to scrape the ground and dog mess not picked up gas bottles weren't caged and children were playing on them.

The site is quite dangerous to vacate as the A259 is a very fast road and because of a hedge jutting out it has a blindspot. Oh, and it is not worth £18 p.N.(with e/h/u)

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Woktum 1 review from this member

We visited Castle View for a weekend trip with our 2 young children. We were a little apprehensive as the pictures on the website looked awful. However, having rung all known campsites in the south east and being told they were booked we decided to chance it by going here.

The reception although very smelly and old was manned by a very friendly, helpful man. We were pointed in the direction of the camping field which was lovely. Just what we were looking for. Plenty of space for the kids to run around. We pitched fairly close to the trees with a busy road the other side but surprisingly, it didn't bother us. The shower and toilet blocks, although very dated had hot water, toilets that flushed,loo roll and there were no creepy crawlies. Although old they did seem fairly clean.

We really enjoyed our stay, the other campers were friendly and not as described by previous reviews.

We didn't really see much of the area as we just chilled out at the campsite but had we stayed longer I reckon the walk to Pevensey Castle would have been nice.

There is usually space here - according to some fellow campers and if we left booking to the last minute again, we would not mind coming back here.

No luxuries but hot water, flushing loos and a nice big space is all we need.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Karen Wells 3 reviews from this member

Visited this site for the first time. Last minute booking so unable to get into usual sites in the area. Very scruffy site. Toilet/shower blocks are just awful. They were closed for cleaning yesterday but could not tell the difference after. Dread to think last time sinks and toilets were cleaned. £21.50 per night for 1 adult and 2 children

Previous     35 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Is Castle View Caravan Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Castle View Caravan Site?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Castle View Caravan Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Pevensey Bay      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Sussex

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more