Reviews of Castle View Caravan Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > East Sussex > Pevensey Bay > Castle View Caravan Site Reviews

Castle View Caravan Site
Eastbourne Road
Pevensey Bay
East Sussex   (Browse area)
BN24 6DT
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Open: 01/03 To 01/11

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   No Wifi Access
 No Fishing   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Beach <1 mile   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  35 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

To find out if we're taking bookings please contact us

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Marcusopp 34 reviews from this member

Stayed here 10 years ago before our son was born. It was basic then (which is cool), but is run down now.

We cycled there as a family with a small tent. The owner charged us 20 the following morning even though there wasn't hot water in the gents showers and the site looked more like our local rubbish dump.

The site fees are per person, regardless of your unit. So we would have paid the same if we'd rocked up in a huge motorhome. The site next door, Canon if I remember, looked much nicer, but we'd already pitched. We'll definitely go there next time.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Niceface1 1 review from this member

Absolutely brilliant venue! The staff are just amazing and so helpful, cannot fault them what so ever.

The staff were very helpful when assisting me with the showers.

Would recommend and definitely will be coming back.

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Dandro 5 reviews from this member

I agree that the place needs some investment and TLC but there are no rules on where you can pitch or what you can do.

On arrival, the 'office' is dated and unkept and the driveway isn't that great.

We set up the tent with a gazebo, for which there was no extra charge, and then put the dog (again no extra charge) on his 50foot lead so he could stretch his legs.

My other half had read the reviews about the toilets/showers and wasn't looking forward to using them but she commented that they weren't as bad as she was expected and I was the same - in fact I have seen worse facilities at private football clubs I have played at.

The beach is about a 10min stroll past Bay View campsite, where they pack you in like sardines, and the harbour is about 30 mins and is worth the walk. We walked the dog there and had an enjoyable afternoon sitting in the sun watching the boats and people.

We had a relaxing 2 night stay and would go back.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Pevensey Pirate 1 review from this member

Such a big sky, so many shooting stars (the Perseids). We had a great time here, loads of space. Very relaxed campsite. Ignoring the basic facilities, this is better than most,

Happy camping from the Pevensey Pirate.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Sansfoiniloi 1 review from this member

Sick of white line camping!

Do you enjoy being told what to do when you're camping? Do you like to stay strictly between the regimented white lines?

Neither do we, which is why we love Castle View and so do many others.

The rules are (as far as we are aware) as long as it doesn't upset anyone, enjoy yourself. We live locally and have visited many times. It's cheap and cheerful but we have never failed to have a good time.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Pancellorum 4 reviews from this member

Sorry, but have to say I agree with totally with the previous reviewers that this campsite is in a discusting state.

It's so run down and I'm amazed it passes on Health & Safety standards.

The smell in the shower/toilet block is awful and the tiles in some cubicle have fallen of the wall and are just left on the floor. Also toilet cistern are broken and bits of pipe left lying around.

There are no actual pitches so you can plonk your tent wherever. The nice pitches by the river are all taken with Seasonal caravan's so that's a no no.

Overall for the price they want to charge it's not good

Would not recommend it!

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Jbm7 2 reviews from this member

Feel bad as I have never written a bad review but this site seriously needs some TLC and I want to save anyone else being desperately disappointed as we were. As disappointed as we were, I will keep this review factual.

The office is so messy, uncleaned, torn ruckled up carpet. The guy couldn't even find my booking, there was no diary or even a notebook where all the information was in one place. Scraps of paper showed names and numbers and various scribbles. He eventually found me on a half ripped business card in the corner of the desk under a pile of other stuff. I just felt uncomfortable already and tried to book elsewhere and would have walked away from the deposit just to get out of there.

I was unable to book anywhere else and had no choice but to stay. The entrance as you drive in could be mistaken for a traveller's site, with a couple of randomly placed static caravans and an old deserted algae covered caravan. It just wasn't a welcome view when you turn into a new site. The main drive is very very potholed and it meant driving at literally 1 mile an hour with a caravan.

Once past the entrance, as many others have said, its actually not too bad with a large field all be it badly kept, bins over flowing ( I am sure they are not always overflowing ) and unmown grass, but it is 2 big fields so maybe inpractical for it always to look freshly mown.

Electric was good, no tripping, water pressure was great for filling aquaroll. And actually once set up, we had a reasonable view of fields and countryside.

A row of seasonal / permanent caravans unfortunately parked sideways on adjacent to the river did prevent anyone visiting from benefiting from the river. I can see how some of those people have a wonderful riverside retreat to come and visit.

So things were looking up, until a visit to the toilet block, and again, as many have said, so badly kept, doors not closing, and all just so run down. I think even if someone did scrub it from top to bottom, it would still look dreadful. BUT the shower was hot and I ignored the gully full of junk, old razors, shower gel, hair etc, that had been there a long time, not just from that day !

The guy who checked us in was friendly enough and I felt a bit sorry for him, it was all such a lost cause.

I agree with others that as basic campsite with the bonus of showers and toilets, it could pass. However, as a caravan site at 22. 00 a night, it just doesn't cut it at all. It needs to be bought by someone else and just ripped apart, maximise the river view etc and things could be a lot different. It's got loads of potential but needs to be turned into a business and not just a pastime with no interest or care.

The site over the road was literally turning people away and it would be great if they were able to recommend Castle View as an alternative, but they can't and it seems such a shame for Castle View to be missing out on business opportunities. I hope that one day someone turns this site around. The location for the beach is good. The size and space is great. I wish Castle View a positive future.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Baurluvva 2 reviews from this member

Wow - what can I say!

The place was rundown. Dead and dying caravans all over. The wash rooms and Bathrooms were disgusting.

To top it all off the management was arrogant, rude, and very unhelpful.

Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere nice

Only gets a 1 out of ten due to not having a 0 rating available

Avoid avoid avoid

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Boroughonian 5 reviews from this member

Well it's all true about the toilets, they are pretty bad to be honest but other than that I quite liked the site.

Great location, I love the fact that's it's a short walk from the beach, plenty of buses going to either Hastings or Eastbourne

There are no extras you pay for the stay and that's it, site down the road wanted 25 non returned deposit for booking!

You don't need to book unless you want EHU and you don't need to vacate at any set time.

A couple more potential downsides are that the site is right on a busy main road so there is a fair bit of traffic noise but you do get used to it, I also feel it might get a bit rowdy at times, I didn't get the impression rules would be strictly enforced.

I'll be back but I can certainly see why some wouldn't return.

Date of Visit: March 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Justdoitviv 3 reviews from this member

I have stayed at this campsite over 20 time, in the last year and a half.

At first impression the campsite is rundown, but this is not strictly true once you pass the entrance, and toilets.

Some of the reasons I go back frequently is,

1. The manager and residents are very friendly.

2. Its a bit like wild camping. As the place is so big. You can park up a long distance from anyone else.

3. Arrive and leave at any time. Even 2am.

4. More than enough electric hook ups, for all.

5. There doesn't appear to be any petty rules, or even rules, like there is at the caravan club. Ie. Park your caravan exactly 4 inches from this marker, (you know all those rules) I asked for a leaflet of rules, and I got the answer. Enjoy yourself and don't upset anyone.

6. The manager and residents are more than helpful if you have a problem. Ie fridge not working.

7. Plenty of long term seasonal persons who are friendly and full of advice, as to attractions, and getting around.

8. 1 mile from Pevensy Bay, a good breakfast, launderette and beach

9. Huge shopping centre just past the harbour, 5 min walking.

10. Eastbourne beach, and town within 3 to 5 min driving, with loads of activities.

11. Abundant of late night buses, cheap, to Brighton.

12. Not too far from Hastings.

13. Abundant of hot water all year round.

14. Enough toilets and showers in 2 blocks for everyone

15. Plenty of loo paper and toilets clean.

16 you don't have to park by the main road, as its so large. Park by the river instead.

The down side is

1. The place looks run down on entry.

2. The main shower/toilet block is dreadful. Most doors don't close, in desperate need of modernisation.

3. Even the new shower/toilet block looks like it hasn't been finished off properly.

4. Near a busy road. (but you don't have to park there)

5. No launderette or shop

Previous     35 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Castle View Caravan Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Castle View Caravan Site?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Castle View Caravan Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Pevensey Bay      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in East Sussex

UKCS Meet Camping Exhibition, Wokingham 26/06 to 26/07
Approximately 100 different tents on display, and a range of camping accessories ...more