Reviews of Hayles Fruit Farm Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Gloucestershire > Cheltenham > Hayles Fruit Farm Campsite Reviews

Hayles Fruit Farm Campsite

Open: 01/01/2021 to 31/12/2021

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Toilet Facilities   Hot Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway On Site
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  62 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Rosiew-fnr 4 reviews from this member

Visited here after a week of lovely weather, typically the weekend we stayed it turned really cold. But being able to have a fire in the fire pits provided kept us warm.

This is a lovely site, the owner was really helpful and friendly. The toilets were clean and the shower was lovely and warm. There is a bit of a slope to the site and the tents are at the back of the field furthest from the toilets, but these are only minor things.

Try the cider from the farm shop, lovely! We will definitely be back again.

Date of Visit: December 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Cazz51 11 reviews from this member

This is my third visit, therefore you know I am going to recommend this site. I really like basic sites and don't find them a hardship in any way so if you are looking for more, don't read on.

There is, as stated, one toilet and shower for ladies and one for men in a cabin and also a toilet in the tearoom. They were cleaned daily.

I hadn't realised the lack of washing up facilities until someone mentioned it this time as I usually get by at my tent (being new to camping I thought that's what you did) but I appreciate with a family it would be helpful. I don't either see the necessity for a playground when you are camping.

I visited first in autumn and it was like being surrounded by a ring of flames, the trees were spectacular and in the distance the mighty Malverns. Campfires are allowed in the braziers provided but they should have something put under them to protect the ground. Logs are available in the farm shop.

My next visit was in the spring and the orchard behind the site where you can walk through and around the lake was just a confetti of shades of pink.

There is a good dog walk just beside the site, past the farm shop and tearooms up a hill where there are two beautiful huge Cotswold houses to admire and a quaint old church. The track is crossed by the Cotswold Way which leads to a ruin.

The other way is past the beautiful Haile's Abbey (just around the corner) and church and you can drive out and left up another hill, park the car and go for a stroll up there.

Toddington steam railway station is just down the road with a tearoom and still had a steam train there on my first visit but sadly the line has been lost recently and they are still clearing it. However, this visit, I found another station close by in Greet which still has steam trains. It is next to the beautiful little town of Winchcombe, 4 miles up the road from the site and the home of Sudeley Castle, another nice walk from the town. You can park free for two hours in the centre of the town plus there are several carparks.

Also, within a short drive is the highest hill in the Cotswolds on a huge common, Cleeve Common where you can wander around admiring the views and watch the buggies getting pulled along by kites right at the top. There is a huge amount of public space for walks there.

Winchcombe has a garage and a Co-op. Toddington has a pub on the corner which sells very nice cheap breakfasts and dinners till 10. 30 so I'm told and a Spar.

Tewksbury is nearby for Morrisson's and all the other shops you might need and also just up the road are Evesham and Pershore, pretty towns to explore I believe.

I visited the tearoom twice but didn't catch it open this time. The cakes are wonderful and they sell lovely huge cheap cakes in the farm shop and freshly grown produce and icecream. The breakfast was great the first time, not so good the second and closed for New Year this time. The owners are very friendly, remember you, have a lot of repeat campers and are laidback with their booking system which can be confusing but I find endearing.

I hope this is helpful as I've never written a review before but having heard it had had some bad reviews I felt obliged to redress the balance.

I love the site, I have stayed on sites with brilliant facilities but some of them lack soul. I always enjoy camping here.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jubr75 8 reviews from this member

This is our second visit to this site, which I think says it all in itself. Our first visit was with my parents (their first trip camping in many years) and our second there was a group of us which meet up each year camping.

On both occasions the staff have been very helpful both on booking, queries and on arrival, although they did test me to see if I could remember the codes to the doors as they recognised me.

The reviews here are very mixed and I wish to reiterate that camping is just what it says. We are not staying in the Ritz and therefore, nothing will be of a high standard. However, saying that we are very pleased with this site. We knew from talking to the staff before arriving and from their website that the site is very basic, however, I was expecting a lot worse than what we got!

There is a shower and wc for men and another for women in a portable cabin style building and two portable loos on the other side of the field. Both are cleaned daily. There are two waste bin and recycle points which is also cleared daily. There is also a few water points and a waste disposal point. Am not sure if the water is drinking water though as we bring our own drinking water.

The only thing that would have been useful would be a washing up point with hot water, but like I said before, we are camping so we improvised.

The field that is used is roughly split by the way they cut the grass and a few posts in the ground with hardstanding for caravans / motorhomes with electric and the rest for tents with a few positions on the grass with electric.

The field is on a slight hill which helps with drainage when it rains and the views are lovely, especially at dawn and dusk. We are allowed to have open fires as long as they are contained within their makeshift firepit of a tractor wheel.

On our second visit they have raised these wheels on legs to keep them off the ground but not filled the holes underneath so the ash and coals fall through, which in our mind ruins the ground more than just leaving them on the ground and isolated to one spot.

There is a cafe on site but we never used it and the shop sells vegetables, jams, etc and fire wood for your fire, although would check the dates on some items as we were going to buy some jam until we saw the best before date of July 2010! There is a lake in the next field which you can fish from and you are able to walk around the farm and see what they are growing.

Down the lane and in walking distance is Hayles Abbey and church which are a pleasant view. On our first visit we went to Cotswold Wildlife Park which was a great day out and the local villages of Morton on Marsh and Chipping Norton.

On our second visit I organised a scavenger hunt which took us to the GSW railway, Whinchcombe and Sudley Castle, all of which are lovely places to visit, although would warn the castle charges £7. 20 each entry and you only get to see the gardens and a very small part of the castle as the residential side is closed off.

So, as a summary, lovely site, as long as you are prepared to camp in a basic surrounding with no mod cons. Friendly owners and staff and everyone that camps there are friendly and helpful too. Will definitely be visiting again.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Camping2009 11 reviews from this member

We stayed here for one night. This campsite is in a great location about 2 miles form Winchcombe and 5 miles from Broadway. This is where the positives end,

I would not recommend this site because it is not a quiet tranquil site like you would believe from other reviews, it would be but for some campers playing music, which there is a strict policy, which obviously is not managed very well. A

The toilet and shower is disgusting and is a run down portable cabin.

This is not a patch on other Caravan and Camping affiliated sites and I can't belive their name is attached to it.

Take my advice, don't stay here

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Walker187 3 reviews from this member

Nice location, dreadful facilities. A big field with room for lots of tents and caravans but with only one female and one male shower, one female and one male toilet in a rickety portacabin, and two portaloos.

No dishwashing area and just a few taps located around the site.

The site suffered some very inconsiderate noisy late night campers that the owners did nothing to quieten.

The facilities need improving, increasing and modernising to make this a site worth staying at.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: SEL30 7 reviews from this member

We stayed here for wychwood festival as we didn't want to stay at the festival site and boy are we glad we did!

The location is stunning and the site has a lovely atmosphere - felt like 'proper' camping. The facilities are basic but kept clean.

Our children made friends and spent hours exploring the plant life and we had a lovely family walk around the lake.

We had a camp fire in the evening which was great, really atmospheric.

We sampled the tea room which was nice and useful to have, and bought a few bits in the farm shop. All in all a wonderful experience.

Reviewer: Kavanagh 6 reviews from this member

Our third visit to this campsite. We love it !

If a you are looking for a basic campsite with fabulous views then this is the one for you.

Apart from there being a separate area allocated for caravans / motorhomes you can pitch where you want. Yes, the facilities are very basic, and they do get a little dirty with grass but there was always toilet roll :-)

Lovely walks and great tea and cake from the tea shop. We just turned up this weekend and were told that they would struggle to fit us in due to the restricted toilet facilities but we were happy to queue if necessary.

There was plenty of room available to pitch so it was good to know that this campsite is not on of those that try and cram as many people in as possible. We still had plenty of room around our tent.

Reviewer: Jimhead 2 reviews from this member

Very basic site with a single portable cabin structure for toilets and showers.

Site is on a slight slope so bear this in mind when pitching as it's noticeable when you lie down.

Farm shop is nice but the café was poor, I wouldn't recommend it. The service needs to improve, everything that was delivered to our table was incorrect.

£24 for 2 adults for 2 nights. Seemed overpriced to me for the facilities offered but maybe I'm out of touch with recent prices.

Nice and quiet though and a good location for walks.

Reviewer: MistyMoon 6 reviews from this member

The site had fantastic reviews and they allow campfires, which is fantastic. There was 1 toilet and 1 shower for Males/Females, which are very clean, and the site was quiet so there were no queues. The field had EHU and hardstanding for Campers and Caravans. There is a very slight slope on the field, but it wasn't a problem. 3 water points and rubbish disposal. Tea Room next to the Farm Shop.

The area is beautiful, plenty of walks, great pubs and villages to visit, including Hailes Abbey Ruin, next door to the site and Adam Hensen's Cotswold Farm Park.

Other people have said that the Farm Shop was well stocked. Unfortunately, we cannot recommend the fresh fruit and veg! The Strawberries were mouldy and putrid and the vegetables were soft and old. Non perishables seemed okay though.

We took our Dog. Someone who lived in one of the houses behind the site, took his Spaniel and Labrador for a walk twice daily, along the field, he had no control over them. Although our dog is spayed, they pestered her constantly and tried to mount her, finishing off by peeing all over our tent!

Also the farmer and this neighbour like to go shooting, next to the field. Not great for dogs, and although ours was tied up, she slipped her collar and ran off

The views from the site are stunning (better for tents as we were higher up the field).

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Heccyd 2 reviews from this member

This is a fantastic site with the potential to be perfect. Sloping grass field with some caravan hardstanding. Beautiful, beautiful setting.

Right on the Cotswold Way, so lots of walking to be done. Fantastic farm shop and tea room on site. Lots to do in the area within walking distance - Hailes Abbey ruins are next door, Farmcote chili's are a short walk away and Winchcombe (about 3 miles along the Cotswold Way) is a small but wonderful place to visit with boutique shops, fantastic restaurants and nice pubs.

The only thing letting it down slightly is the issues that arise with overcrowding - as there is only one toilet/shower block with one loo/shower for each gender (and now two portaloos), there were long queues during the day for facilities (being in a 'van, we were lucky). It was a bit noisy into the night and early morning, but I guess that's a downside of a popular site.

Final point - the dogs from the farm houses at the top of the field were given the run of the field in the evening

Previous     62 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Is Hayles Fruit Farm Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Hayles Fruit Farm Campsite?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Hayles Fruit Farm Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Cheltenham      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Gloucestershire

UKCS Meet Caravan and Motorhome Show Stratford 23/07 to 25/07
New and used motorhomes & campervans with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021