Reviews of Church Stile Campsite & Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Nether Wasdale > Church Stile Campsite & Holiday Park Reviews

Church Stile Campsite & Holiday Park
Church Stile Farm
(lake District)
Nether Wasdale
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA20 1ET
Tel: 01946 726252

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 22nd March To 30th October

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   No Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <5 miles   No Golf   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   No Watersports   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed   Not Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  113 in total, now showing 61 to 70                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Nicolavictoria 5 reviews from this member

This site is superb for location and well ran.

Good points

Fantastic pitch very spacious with hook up and a tap

Separate play areas for children

Woodland for dog walking

Quiet

Beautiful location including 2 pubs serving lovely food

Very clean including the shower block and very secure

The only slight complaint I have is it was a bit expensive at 78 pound, although that was for a large tent with hook up and a dog and like I said, the site was one of the best well run sites we have visited.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jellybe4n 1 review from this member

What a fantastic site. Friendly people, excellent, well looked after facilities and a beautiful location.

It is a small site, so even when busy it doesn't feel overcrowded. The children's play area is great and there is a ball field as well with goal posts included!

The surrounding scenery is great, and leaves the site well protected from winds. There is a little woodland walk on site, as well as a footpath coming out the back of the site.

Pitches were all spacious and flat (we have a very big tent and had more then enough room for tent, car and playing!).

Two pubs in spitting distance, both serving food and one also offers mountain bike hire and climbing etc.

Nearest shop is a short drive away in Gosforth, so bear that in mind when you arrive.

There have been some comments about the lane leading to the village, but due to where we live we are well used to lanes like that and worse. It is however worth noting, it is narrow.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Vivo 19 reviews from this member

We booked and paid for our pitch (20 pounds) and site was as all other reviewers had reported.

Clean, tidy, well set out, welcoming, tranquil, secluded.

Set in a private hollow, great base for walkers, ramblers and energetic cyclists.

It is however, totally cut off. No DTV, no radio, no mobile. No signals of any kind. Afraid couldn't do with being cut off to this extent and had to move on.

Road to the west of Wast Water is out of another world. Unable to see the sunken WWII plane. Is it really there?

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: The Johnsons 1 review from this member

Just returned from our second visit this year to this fantastic campsite. Remote it is but it is so worthwhile. The owners Ruth and Alan are very friendly and helpful.

Been coming to this site for six years and my children love it. Aged 6 and 7. Playground, toilet block, showers, laundry room are very well maintained and always clean.

Stunning scenery and great woodland walk. Nature in abundance along with two great pubs serving great food and beer.

By far our favourite campsite in the country.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Krazykamper 37 reviews from this member

Just spent five wonderful nights at this campsite- was meant to be four nights but we managed to stay an extra night. Our pitch was nice and flat and the grass was in great condition. We were close to the park which was safe for our youngest to go to as we could keep a close eye on him. The site only accepts tents but had a few statics which seemed empty during our stay.

The site is very remote with some stunning views. The only noise that could be heard was kids playing and nature. Pure bliss. Was unable to get a mobile signal so bliss again!

The toilet and shower block was kept clean and tidy. Nice big showers but only two. Had to wait once but hey ho no hassle.

I did not use the laundry facilities but loved the big freezer which we used for our freezer blocks.

The site itself is very well maintained and set out lovely. Lots of shrubs and bushes in between the EHU pitches. In addition to the playpark, there is also a field for ball games.

The two pubs are just a minute's walk from the site entrance. Both offered a great choice of real ales and food at fantastic prices. As previously mentioned, the chips in the Screes pub were delicious.

I would love to return to this site again just for the peace and quiet!

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Jeffbee 1 review from this member

Two adults stayed at this 'out of the way' site for 4 nights at the end of July 2011. Booked into the quiet area which was quiet most of the time. Showers were big and clean, as were the toilets. A well planned site. Play ground not used by us! but it was more than adequate for the children that were there.

Site owners were welcoming and easily accessible.

The two pubs about 5 minutes walk away are very good, offering between them, a wide range of food and beers, including those from the micro- brewery. The T'erminator beer was not on this time but will catch up again. The scenery was breathtaking and an ideal place to base yourselves if you want to climb Scafell Pike - the highest mountain in England. We didn't as Ben Nevis got the better of us a few days earlier!

As there was little or no radio or mobile phone signal there, you can stay in cognito and just relax and turn off.

The area and site is highly recommended by us and would consider staying sometime again soon.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: XJulesx 1 review from this member

The site:

Just returned from a weeks stay at Church Stile Farm. We arrived in brilliant sunshine and as soon as we climbed out the car we were hit with sweet, fresh air, then spotted a magnificent bird of prey circling over the hills, a sight we saw many times on our stay. Views were amazing from the site and its not far from Wast Water Lake which is lovely to walk round. Only noises heard were nearby farm animals- no roads or planes. Very peaceful.

The site owners are helpful and always at hand if you need them. They have 'quiet areas' though they really should reserve quiet areas for adults only.

They are very strict on this site- signs absolutely everywhere! Very particular about noise and scorching the grass and signs threaten to throw you off the site if you have any complaint made against you or if you burn the grass.

Also signs telling you that you must keep dogs on leads at all times and you must pick up poop- fair enough- though the owners dog ran amock regularly and we saw it a few times approaching the campers tethered dogs. It was friendly enough- just nosey and wanted to sniff the campers dogs but it did cause a lot of barking and worried owners.

As for toilets and showers- loos were clean and never had to queue to get a shower every morning. The showers were always lovely and hot too. Free hairdryer and an area to do makeup which I thought a good idea.

Freezer- Absolutely loved the fact they have a free freezer for you to put your cooler box blocks in. Other sites should do this! proved very popular with the campers and no problems with people nicking each others blocks etc.

Nearby stuff:

Would fully recommend visiting the nearby Screes Inn, only a short walk from the site- very old country pub- friendly, real ale and fantastic food at a reasonable price. Probably the best pub chips we've ever eaten and left nice and full. Chef came out himself and asked people if meals were ok- a lovely touch.

For nearby shops, there is a londis sort of shop in Gosforth which isnt too far to drive so you can get your necessities, postcards and a few souvenirs.

There isnt a chippy in the town so we drove over to Seascale the one night for our traditional holiday chip dinner but I really wouldn't recommend the chippy there. Absolutely dire. Had hardly any food, waited ages, servings were shockingly small and funnily enough- no customers! I think there is a hotel in Gosforth that does take away fish and chips but I don't know what they're like, but id try that next time instead.

As for nearby attractions- We visited Muncaster Castle which was a good day out- and has an owl centre which we enjoyed. Id wanted to go on the Ratty train but we were hit with bad weather so gave it a miss but I think it would have been fun to do. I think you come to this area for walking, relaxing and for the countryside really. I think if you want a holiday packed with things to do its best to try the Keswick area.

Visited the towns Whitehaven and Egremont but was disappointed. No unique shops or restaurants-

Overall -

We did have a good stay here and we would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good base in amazing countryside. If we were to return to the area I wouldn't hesitate to book up here again.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Toff 9 reviews from this member

Fourth time at this fantastic camp site and it still remains very good value with good facilities and very clean around the site. Toilets excellent and very clear notices about the site, rules and goings on around the small village.

Very close to the screes and wastwater and a very good range of mountains including the scafell range.

Two great pubs in nether wasdale and the strand does fantastic food and we have stayed in the pub over new year once and the owners, mark and leslie can't do enough for you.

The lady who deals with you on the campsite ' Ruth ' also gives you good information on walks and weather checks when needed. Will be going back again this summer.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Themoose 4 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 2 nights with my family ( 2 adults/2 kids). The site is located in Nether Wasdale which is a very small hamlet with 2 pubs literally 5 minutes walk away.

The site has breathtaking views all around and is divided up into separate areas including EHU and a quieter section.

The shower facilities are clean and modern. 2 showers in each block. There is a laundry which includes a washer, dryer, iron and ironing board and some vending machines (tea /coffee/soft drinks).

We stayed on an EHU pitch (no.8) and it was a fantastic pitch, very large and there was plenty of space around us so we didn't feel overcrowded.

The 'general' pitch area seemed really overcrowded with tents very close together which I would not have been happy with to be honest.

Kids play area is ok, 3 swings (inc 1 for toddlers), climbing frame, balancing beam and a suspension bridge.

When trying to book I suggest ringing the site directly rather than attempting to do online as it took ages for the owners to confirm the booking as their broadband was not working and I had no idea whether or not we had a pitch. Also upon arrival I wasn't overly impressed because they couldn't find my booking and we had to wait for 15mins whilst they searched for it! Seemed a bit disorganised at check in to be honest.

Things to do - great walks, Muncaster Castle and Ravenglass beach nearby and Wastwater is beautiful.

Two great pubs The Strands and The Screes both serve similar food, ale and we had good service from both. If I had to choose I think the Strands was slightly better.

Overall a good site which I would definitely recommend to families and couples.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Former Scout 13 reviews from this member

If a campsite is to be judged also by its hinterland then I may have found a new candidate for my favourite campsite. But that’s not to say that Church Stile Farm isn’t a very good campsite in its own right; it is thoughtfully landscaped in a scenic location of a beautiful part of the country with very good facilities.

For most people, getting to Church Stile will entail a bit of a journey. It is situated in Nether Wasdale about a mile or so west of Wast Water, one of the most western of the Lakes. As previously mentioned you may wish to avoid the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes with a heavily ladened car and definitely if you have a trailer. So your journey is likely to be more circuitous. But whichever route you take the effort is worth it.

Church Stile Farm’s remoteness means that it is blissfully tranquil and allows you to get very close to nature with the only noise pollution being birdsong from dawn to dusk; on several occasions we saw what I believe were buzzards soaring overhead.

The campsite is divided into several areas including EHU, non-EHU and a quiet area as well as an area set aside for children to play ball games and a playground constructed of timber. There are also some static caravans on and around the site. One or two parts of the non-EHU areas have slightly sloping pitches but we had no problem in finding a level pitch.

What is good about the layout is that the owners have landscaped the campsite with trees, bushes and hedgerows. Some of this is still a little immature but it successfully gives structure and shape to the campsite, breaks up what might otherwise look like tent city and will increasingly harbour even more wildlife. (The photos on the website are old and so do not show this relatively recent landscaping.)

One or two medium to large campsites I’ve been to could learn from Church Stile on this. The views from the campsite are beautiful and a real sustenance for the spirit.

A word of warning about pitching here: don’t bother bringing your plastic or nylon pegs here – this is rock peg only country. And you may want to bring some midge repellent!

The shower and toilet block is never more than a couple of minutes stroll from any pitch on the site. In the Gents there are urinals, three WCs, five sinks and two showers.

The showers were fixed temperature and had push-button operation; water was hot with a good flow. I rarely shower at “rush hour” when camping however, if the campsite had been full, I rather think that an extra shower would have been desirable. However, they are well maintained and cleaned and of a high standard.

To the rear of the shower block are four washing up sinks in a covered area as well as a laundry room which includes a washing machine, tumble dryer, freezer and a drinks vending machine.

There are also comprehensive recycling facilities within less than a minute’s walk for any pitch.

There is no shop on the site so you will need to drive to Gosforth, about ten minutes away, where you will find a shop that has pretty much everything you require. Above the shop was a café, though we are not talking greasy-spoon, which was nice and the food good. We went on a Sunday and as well as their main menu they had a carvery.

But I’m a glass-half-empty sort of guy and it wouldn’t be a review of mine if I didn’t point out things with which I was less happy:

1/ I was chatting with a bloke as we stood at the urinal, as you do, and he commented on the number of rules. Now I like rules; they set defined limits on what is acceptable on each campsite and let you know where you stand and what you can reasonably expect from others. But the tone in which some of them are expressed is somewhat curt.

2/ More serious for me is that no fires of any sort are allowed even in a raised BBQ or fire pit. Gathering round a fire each evening, watching the flames dance, smelling the wood smoke and toasting marshmallows is one of the joys of camping, it can add to the ambiance of a site and provide a bit of extra money for campsite owners by selling wood and/or hiring out fire pits. I really see no reason why fires should not be allowed so long as raised fire pits are used.

3/ Under their pricing structure my Minnesota 4 was classified as a “large” tent, even without extension, and so I had to pay the same higher tariff as Vermonts, Hartfords, etc.

4/ Finally, I find that the static caravans spoil the view a little.

But none of these are a deal-breaker, especially when you consider what is available in the vicinity. If you camp here you must take time to walk or drive down to Wast Water. It is very different from the pretty and busier lakes such as Derwent Water and Windermere but is all the better for it and the views up the lake towards Great Gable are iconic.

Another highlight was one of the local pubs. There are two pubs just a couple of hundred yards from the campsite. One, The Strands, also has a micro-brewery. If you like your real ale then you will find yourself in ale heaven. Each of the five beers available when we were there (and yes, I did sample each of the five) was full of character and flavour. What’s more the food available is not too expensive and of a very good standard – the chips were the best I’ve had for years.

If you want a beautiful location, tranquillity and good facilities then, quite simply, Church Stile Farm is one of the best campsites you could stay at.

Previous     113 Reviews in total, now showing 61 to 70      Next

Is Church Stile Campsite & Holiday Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Church Stile Campsite & Holiday Park?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Church Stile Campsite & Holiday Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Nether Wasdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend 09/10 to 11/10
A three day concert dedicated to the sounds of the Swinging Sixties set in Looe in Cornwall. Weekend Camping Available ...more