Visitor Reviews - Gosfield Lake Resort Camp Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Essex > Halstead > Gosfield Lake Resort Camp Site Reviews

Gosfield Lake Resort Camp Site

Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   Watersports On Site   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10

Date of Visit: August 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: M1ami 1 review from this member

We visited over a weekend and found it ideal for us as were visiting family that weekend. Everything was lovely and we stumbled across a lovely new tea room that is situated with an antiques village and cabinets to a quaint vinyl record shop down the road from the campsite.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Yrret 1 review from this member

Overpriced. tents in nice location. caravans near a lot of tired looking statics. Cold water washing up facilities only. The entrance is barrier controlled but on a very steep incline so as you check in you have to stop and then get to the top. Play equipment two swings and a slide. Gosfield pub within walking distance.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Buzzy-Beans 5 reviews from this member

The only positive things I can say about this site is that the owner is very friendly and the showers were quite good. Apart from that, what a total rip off site!

It was late afternoon when we arrived and hadn't booked anywhere, so we couldn't spare the time to hunt around, this was of course entirely my fault.

But the charges here are very high indeed for what is only a very basic site. 10 for the van, 5 for each of us and 5 per dog.

Our overnight stop should actually have cost us 35, but when I protested about the astronomic dog charges he only charged for a single dog.

There are a lot of static vans on site that appear to be lived in by workers, the last one arrived back on his noisy motorbike quite late at night and the first one left at 05. 30 in the morning.

The showers are quite good, but nothing special, but the foul water waste disposal point is terrible with quite a fine mesh through which the waste has to pass. When I emptied my tank there were still some solids in the water which caught up on this mesh and I ended up having to push them through! Disgusting.

Never again will I ever dream of stopping here.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Edmassey 1 review from this member

Just returned from a Friday and Saturday two night stay at Gosfield Lake campsite, where we had the usual glorious Essex sunshine. The location is probably one of the most spectacular non-coastal sites I have ever camped at - lovely grassy area leading down to reeds and a lake. Camping area is quite small - not some massive field. There is a separate area away from the lake for caravans and those wanting electric.

Good points:

Beautiful site with very picturesque lake;

If you like waterskiing or fancy going on a banana boat this would be heaven;

Lovely coffee shop ('Cafe O' Lake') with deck on the lake;

Feels secure due to security gate;

Despite 'no camp fires' policy there seemed no objection to fire pits or sticking a log on the BBQ;

Once the speed boat stopped there was a lot of wild birds and even bats at night.

No set out pitches - camp where you like.

You are not allowed to pitch on a nice large area (the walk from the loos) of grass that is kept for day visitors who pay 5 to come in for family BBQs and so on, and this leaves a nice area for balls games.

Bad points:

Although lovely maintained grass, a lot of the camping area is gently sloped - chose your pitch carefully;

Camping area is 5+ mins walk to the loos, tap and washing up area, which are fairly basic - I advise taking a bucket or camping karzi for kids;

Kids playground was just some swings and a weathered slide - take you own stuff to keep your kids occupied;

Due to proximity to lake, there were lots of bugs;

No evidence of anyone coming around to check people were adhering to policies such as moving cars away from tents to parking area, or keeping the noise down at night. Unfortunately on our visit there was a large group who were up drinking and being loud until about 5am, and some disgruntled campers decided to pay them back in the morning by doing a car horn wake up call at about 7. 30am - all rather inconsiderate;

Quite expensive: you are paying for location rather than facilities.

In summery, it appeared to me that the camping here is an afterthought. The first priority here is water-skiing. Book a banana boat rise though and you'll probably have a great time.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Wallyjg 3 reviews from this member

Stayed here for one night to try out the new equipment. Greeted at the gate but even though we booked electric with our tent, it was assumed we hadn't so we were advised to go to a different area. Luckily I had visited here before so knew there was no electric where we were told to pitch. Good job we hadn't begun putting the tent up before being redirected. The atmosphere is laid back and it is a lovely site. Tucked away in a small village, very peaceful with pubs within walking distance. We had an Indian over looking the lake, watching the water skiers as the sun set, it was lovely. The toilet block is not very well equipped. The showers are free which is good, but although they were clean, they are basic. There was a loud group pitched next to us who were playing drinking games and this went on into the night. As far as I'm aware they were not told to quieten down although I could be wrong on that. The church bells ring just before 8 on a Sunday so that mixed with being kept up by the group next to us did not make for a peaceful nights sleep. Not the owners fault though. I would stay again, but not for a long period of time due to the showers. I need to feel a bit cleaner than what they made me feel!

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sknarf 7 reviews from this member

I have just returned from a one night stay at Gosfield Lake, My sentiments basically follow that of Christine S, apart from I had one large group that were still up at 2. 30 am and I was then rudely woken by the golf course lawn mower at 5. 45 on sunday morning.

Apart from these factors this is a beautiful spot watching and listening to the wild life, after the speed boat had finished for the day.

Unfortunately because of the noise elements I will not return which is very unfortunate as said its a lovely spot.

Oh yes also the washroom etc is very nice and well presented, the staff were also very welcoming on arrival too.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Christine S 4 reviews from this member

When we arrived at Gosfield Lake midweek there were only three other tents on the campground, so we had plenty of options for our pitch. The site is sheltered by mature trees and has well-kept grass with gently sloping areas. We had been worried about the forecast strong winds, but although we could hear the wind our tent was completely protected.

As advertised, the not unpleasant walk to the amenities takes 5 to 10 minutes (those with weak bladders should take a camping toilet or a bucket)and the pitching area is unlit, which we consider to be an advantage, particularly for stargazing. At the weekend several more campers arrived, including two large groups, but we did not feel at all crowded, and the quiet-at-night rule was generally observed. On Saturday night there was some distant music from the wedding reception at the nearby Gosfield Hall but not enough to prevent me from being asleep by 10. 30pm. Other man-made noise included a motor boat on the lake for water-skiing and the guns from a shoot somewhere nearby, but these did not really bother us, unlike the mower at dawn on three days of our stay which was cutting the greens on the adjacent golf-course.

The dawn chorus consisted largely of ducks and owls. In fact, seemingly the entire owl population of Essex spent most of the night hooting at each other. Wildlife spotted included mallards, moorhens, rabbits, squirrels, owls and a heron.

The new toilet and shower block is excellent, especially the family bathrooms. The washing up room had two deep sinks, coin-operated washing machine and dryer and a small freezer for ice-blocks. Everything was clean and the temperature and pressure of the water was good. The staff were friendly and helpful throughout our week-long stay.

The pleasant towns of Halstead and Braintree are within a few miles and have all the shops and amenities you could want, and the coast is less than an hours drive.

We greatly enjoyed our stay at Gosfield Lake; evenings sitting by the lake watching the sunset were idyllic.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Other
Reviewer: Gosfield Lake Owners

Newly renovated toilet block and showers, washing up facilities and laundry. We now have a completely new plumbing system with an abundance of hot water throughout. Gents toilets and showers, Ladies toilets (all with seats )and showers. Brand new family showers/toilet rooms. Hot water in washing up area. Still in the same location, but a nice walk when the suns shining.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bambikate 4 reviews from this member

A lovely outlook to this campsite situated next to a lake which was used by water-skiers and even a banana boat which my husband went on!

On to the site. We stayed in the electric hook up area which is situated within a short distance to the toilet block, the non electric pitches were quite a distance from these blocks, so bear this in mind when booking.

The actual toilet blocks were quite basic and could do with a bit of doing up. One toilet (there are 3 in the ladies) had no seat and one of them did not flush as handles was broken. The showers were OK, again basic but hot (be careful as sometimes would be far too hot) did not like the fact there was no hand dying facilities although they do provide a towel, however this was very dirty and I certainly would not want to use that! one good thing was there was plenty of toilet rolls.

My husband said the men's toilet/shower area was in bad condition and dirty and could do with pulling down! (the boat sheds were in fantastic condition, maybe they could do the same with the toilet block)!

They provide an undercover washing up area, but to be honest we used this once as it took an age to get some hot water out of it as it dribbled out! the water pressure does seem to be a problem here.

The is a play area with swings and a slide which was fine for our kids.

Maybe a noticed to keep dogs on leads and to clear up after them is needed.

I would probably not be going back only if they sorted out the above issues.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Campertedwards 1 review from this member

To be quite honest I loved this campsite. Everyone was really friendly, the indian restaurant and catering van we're both very good and tasty.

I am a first time camper and a group of us went for two nights. I do think the site is slightly expensive but the beautiful picturesque landscape is well worth it.

None of us had a use of a car but there we're public transport routes to freeport where we enjoyed the day out.

The toilet and shower facilities we're clean but basic and a good 5 minute walk from our tent pitch which was a slight hinderance.

The washing up sink tap was useless. But that is the only real complaint I have about this site.

I would highly recommend it although I do think it is more suited to the older generations as I think families would get bored as there is no entertainment on site.

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Essex

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over 205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire