Visitor Reviews - Jerusalem Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > West Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Jerusalem Farm Campsite
Jerusalem Lane
Booth
Halifax
West Yorkshire   (Browse area)
HX2 6XJ

Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports <5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  31 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Holl 1 review from this member

A lovely down to earth campsite free of cars (parking is available off the camp area) and caravans.

The site is well run, clean and quiet, although don't camp right next to the stream if you wake easily as you will hear the running water.

It's particularly pretty, placed at the bottom of a small valley with a forest across the stream.

Simple to access by public transport, regular buses from Sowerby Bridge drop you 15m walk from the site.

We came as a couple to get out of the city and explore more of Yorkshire by foot, had such a nice 5 nights feel like abandoning the city once and for all.

We couldn't have asked for more friendly and helpful site manager - thanks Ted!

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Wintersweet 1 review from this member

I have just got back from a one night stay at Jerusalem Farm, with my four children. The sight is very out of the way, which was lovely.

If you want a lazy weekend away this is not for you! The site is at the bottom of the valley, the carpark is halfway up. Anything that you want to take down has to be carried, it took us about five trips down the hill to get everything down.

Once everything was down and set up though we got round to playing and relaxing.

The site consists of a public car park at the top, with the site office and the toilet and shower block, the toilets were clean and well lit at all times during our visit. We didn't use the showers for a one night stay so I can't comment. There are three paths down to the actual camping area, two with quite steep and irregular steps which lead to grassy paths down the hill, there is another path that zigzags down the hill at the far end. At the bottom there is a long field with little hillocks along it, several picnic benches and a station with bins, fire extinguisher and two fresh water taps, a beck running alongside, which the children loved paddling in, the beck has large stepping stones across to the playground. The playground is not for younger children, most of the equipment is for balancing and climbing.

The only two things that put me off is the hill from the carpark, getting everything down wasn't a problem but getting everything back up was painful! And having the toilets at the top of the hill, was inconvenient as when one of us had to go we all had to go! These two problems may not be a problem where more than one adult is involved.

With that said, it was lovely and peaceful, the children had lots to do from rolling down the hill to paddling in the beck. All night we could hear the water rushing past. We didn't have a problem with midges I'm pleased to say, probably because it was quite a windy night.

The warden was extremely pleasant, even down to putting up with some rude behaviours from my two sons with autism. He was welcoming and happy to help. Because only one of my children was over five it only cost me £10 for the night, very reasonable.

This campsite provides you with what you need for a peaceful get away, and even though it was only one night away, when I got home it felt like I'd been away for days.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Meglamel 2 reviews from this member

An absolute gem of a place. The campsite is next to a beck with stepping stones into woodlands. There is a dipping pond and a small playground suitable for younger children. Jerusalem Farm felt like a rural retreat from modern life, a real back- to- nature place and safe enough to let the kids run wild and explore.

Thanks to other reviews, we knew to arrive early as, due to the car park and the site being council run and open to day trippers and picnickers, there is limited space. It is for this reason that the site is unable to take bookings. We also went armed with insect repellent and this is essential.

It is a bit of a steep hike from the carpark and toilet blocks to the pitches, so don't overload yourself with lots of gear- carrying it down isn't too bad but getting it all back up is a bit of a killer, especially if the grass is wet and slippery. Fortunately, the water and bins are closer.

The wardens are very friendly and helpful, they stopped by for a chat with campers in the evenings and run bookable activities in the daytime. Several groups turned up for pond dipping sessions during our stay.

We stayed 3 nights during the first week of the school summer holidays and, like us, the majority of the campers were mums or dads with younger children staying for a couple of nights. Everyone was very friendly and the children all mixed well.

If taking children be sure to pack wetsuits and non slip rubber shoes as they will definitely want to play in the beck. As well as a four year old and a twelve year old we took our dog who had an absolute ball playing in the water and the woods. Dogs do need to be on a lead at all times on the campsite but this is not a problem as there are picnic benches to clip leads to and they are free to be off lead in the woods and once away from the campsite.

Large groups of same sex campers and campers under 21 are not permitted- this is not the place for you if you want to play loud music or stay up into the small hours. Myself and my partner would definitely visit without children, however, we would pitch further away from the stepping stones to ensure more peace and privacy. Many campers were repeat visitors- a testimony to the Jerusalem experience!

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andypepp 1 review from this member

I've been to this site twice. Once during the Summer and then late September. I really enjoyed both my stays. This is a well looked after site, there are no cars allowed on the site. I arrived by bicycle and after pitching my tent went to the local shop about 10 mins by bike for food etc. The area is very hilly (steep in places) so if on bicycle or foot be prepared. There is a pub about 30 mins walk through the woods and across fields at Wainstalls that sells Timothy Tayor ales. The facilities were fine for me as a single traveller but families could find things awkward for there is a fair hike up a hill for the loo and showers. Water is available easily enough on the camping area. BEWARE the midges are a real pain especially in the summer but easing off in September so take some insect repellent. This maybe due to the beck that flows by the side of the campsite (great for cooling your beers in or paddling/swimming if you want to). There is an adventure play ground for the kids and walks through the woods with plenty of species of trees/birds and wildlife. There is an alternative route along the beck (kindly passed onto me by the Warden) if you are arriving by foot or bike from Luddenden saves riding/walking up the steep hill. Ask me for details. Enjoy Your stay.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Katievdh 2 reviews from this member

Lovely site. Calm and next to a lovely little stream.

Toilet and shower block is clean and accessible.

The warden was very friendly and helpful where to pitch the tents.

The only downfall is parking at the top of the field (on a big hill) it's a bit of a struggle carrying all the gear up and down, but doable.

Lovely pubs within walking distance through the woods. Also a little shop to stock up on essentials nearby too.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Snailspace 8 reviews from this member

A favourite of mine and my friends, especially as it is so local. It is not far from Halifax but saying that once you're there you feel like you're miles from anywhere. In a positive way!

You have to park your car in the small car park and it's a steep slope down to the site (and back up to the car/ toilets/ shower!) I like that there are no cars where you pitch.

It is quite idyllic with a stream running through the site and deciduous woodland that has public footpaths running through it. There is also some very pleasant meadow land.

There is a very steep walk up to a pub with great views or you can have a pleasant amble on green paths to Luddenden.

Great value for money at £5 pppn. There is only one shower for everyone but I've not found this to be a problem. Even at weekends, and it's free and always hot.

I'd probably just stay at this site for a few nights rather than a week, though it is lovely.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Porter2011 1 review from this member

We previously visited this site for our first camping trip in may 2010 only for a two night visit, we loved it so much we returned again at the end of may for three nights.

Our children adore the outdoors and love to frolic and run free on the many acres and have many adventures exploring the woodland and watching all the wild life, the park area is great the kids had great fun and we had no worries letting them go there by them selves our 5 year old had no problems with the stepping stones across the river but me myself much preferred the nice little bridge at the other end of the site.

The toilet and shower facilities were just fine and cleaned regularly and this was the same for all of the bins. The wardens were very friendly and helpful and made sure everyone was aware of where things were.

The hill was not really a problem for us but we are a young family. Best part. Paddling and swimming in the pretty shallow river with the kids, our trip was fantastic well worth the money and will be returning for 2 separate trips in the summer holidays can't wait!

Only thing I will say is the park could possibly do with a swing and maybe a slide but did not make a difference to how great our trip was.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lparker088 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here for two nights and found it very pleasant.

We pitched next to the stream so the children has great fun paddling in it, and we had great fun watching and joining in too!

Its a very peaceful site and it definitely 'wild camping'.

The toilets and wash facilities were clean and there were plenty of parking spaces.

The hill to the toilets was fun for the kids to run down.

This is an isolated area so if its a place with entertainment at night your looking for this is not for you, you make your own! we had great fun doing so!

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jac1968 2 reviews from this member

We have used this site twice this year as it is just 15 minutes from home so it is ideal for spur of the moment camps. We love this site, we take our 4 year old daughter who loves the stream, the dipping pools, the woods, in particular the area that the elves & fairies have designed. The toilets are clean but basic. Not tried the shower with been so close to home. No washing up facilities. The location is beautiful and very tranquil, you feel like you are miles from home. Trevour the warden is lovely. The only draw back is the hill that you have to carry all your gear up and down, but it is worth it for the location, a must for families as it gets the kids away from the TV and back to nature, looking for frogs, rabbits & dragonflies etc.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Matthewdhudson 2 reviews from this member

I stayed on this site with my two boys, age 2 and 4, for one night to introduce my youngest to camping.

As other reviews have mentioned, the roads leading to this site are narrow, one was so narrow it was only just wide enough to take my car, but lucky for me I didnít meet another vehicle coming the other way.

We arrived around 10 on Saturday morning, and it wasnít too busy so we had a good pick of pitches.

It began to get quite busy around 12 so I would advise to get there early to get a good spot.

We pitched next to the stream, which I found to be a good spot, the sound of the water was very tranquil, although I would recommend some midge repellent.

The walk from the tents to the car park/toilets was a bit of a slog, but also added to the adventure because it gave it a feeling of wild camping. The slope down to the tents provided great fun for the kids sliding and rolling down.

The toilets seemed clean enough, I didnít use the showers as we only stayed the night so I canít comment on these.

There was drinking water taps provided by the tent pitches which was very convenient, and rubbish bins, which were regularly emptied by the warden, who was very friendly and welcoming.

I found this site very good for families with children.

There are many places for children to play and explore including a playground which is hidden at the other side of the stream, my boys soon made some friends and had a great time.

I would recommend this site to families with children or couples who are looking for a peaceful friendly site, and as it only cost me £5 for the night its great value as well.

Previous     31 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in West Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more