Visitor Reviews - The Three Magpies Public House

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

The Three Magpies Public House

Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport

Reviews:  52 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Write your own Review wo win a 150 Amazon Voucher!!

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 26 reviews from this member

This was my third or fourth visit to The Three Magpies and I have given a favourable review previously but I was not quite so impressed on this occasion.

I was given the usual warm welcome and having been before was told to go and choose a pitch and to pay later. The camping field is, as always, nicely maintained and mowed although on this occasion a little brown due to the lack of rain for several weeks. However, the portacabin toilet facilities left a lot to be desired on this occasion.

There is only one toilet cubicle in the gents and the lock on the door was broken. It actually fell off onto the floor when I tried to lock the door although I managed to fit it back on loosely and managed to make it work. Sort of. The toilet seat was loose and askew and needed re-positioning and tightening. It was a bit of a balancing act sitting on it. There is a hook for hanging clothes inside the toilet cubicle but none outside near the sink so nowhere to hang or place wash bag and towel. Although the portacabin was reasonably clean, because the windows were stuck in a permanent open position there were so many different coloured bugs crawling on the walls that David Bellamy would be in his element identifying them all. Most of them were pretty new to me!

As I mentioned in a previous review there is only one sink in the washroom and that is a tiny caravan type sink, access to which is made even more difficult by the positioning of a water heater and soap dispenser directly above in such a position as to bang your forehead on them if you tried to bend over the sink to wash your face or clean your teeth. Consequently the floor gets a little splashed. I am sure they could improve that with little extra cost.

Although the staff did their job in the pub they didn't seem too keen on chatting to customers and making them feel welcome and were more intent on watching the TV and chatting to regulars or what seemed to be other family members in the bar. I felt I was being a bit of a nuisance disturbing them when I wanted another drink.

I mentioned the damaged loo door lock and seat and was thanked for 'letting them know since they only know these things if somebody tells them'. The person I told said he would get his man onto it but it was still like that when I left and had probably been like that for months if not years.

I ate in the pub on the first night. There was a choice of food costing around 12.50 to 13.50 but on the back of the menu was a selection of 'smaller portions' for around 7.50. I am glad I didn't pay 12.50 for my fish and chips because there were more bones in the filleted cod than in a kipper and I didn't get the Tartare Sauce I was asked if I wanted when they took the order, but the chips and peas were nice. I ate elsewhere the following day.

Some disappointments on this occasion but I like the area and I like the pitches although I do camp midweek out of season when it is quiet. I would imagine there might be queues for the loo if it was busy. It is sad that the owners do not make more effort to maintain and improve the toilet and washing facilities as that would make the site much more pleasant. I would return as it still remains one of my favourite sites for location and decent pitches at a reasonable price. I paid 12 a night with EHU.

Date of Visit: November 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Chrisandsandra 32 reviews from this member

Good pub site with large flat camping field with electric. Mostly to grass but we were advised to pitch on one of the few hardstandings due to the ground being soft, which was fine.

Facilities are in a portacabin and were adequate and clean but might be stretched if the site was busy.

Nice walks to Kennet and Avon canal and bus between Devizes and Melksham stops nearby.

Very friendly pub with good food (small portions available). There is an outside seating area on grass with a small playground for children. The pub was surprisingly busy mid week in November and we booked a table for dinner as advised. A lot of the custom seemed to come from the C&CC site next door.

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: CyberCynth 1 review from this member

Handy site for exploring the Kennet and Avon canal and the many other delights Wiltshire has to offer. Lovely to be able to fall into a dog-friendly bar at the end of a long day walking, for a good meal. Not a huge choice for veggies on the menu though. Facilities disappointing. Shower very poor, especially when you've had to pay 1 for it! Poor water pressure and I couldn't see how to turn down the temperature once I'd taken off my specs! No hot water in the dish-washing area, nor could I see a light; not helpful when I want to do a pile of washing up late evening. Pitches nearly all grass, not very well drained and I had to get some friends to push my caravan off the flooded pitch after a night of rain, on the morning I left.

As a senior citizen it would be cheaper for me to stay on the C&CC site next door in mid or low season, and enjoy better facilities with the comfort of knowing there's a security barrier in place.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Eaglesman 1 review from this member

Enjoyed our short stay at the 3 Magpies but felt a few small things would have made it so much better. I bought a shower token for a 1 and when I used it, the shower only worked for about 20 secs, just as I had started to soap up. Now, I did move the temp from medium to high but didn't expect this as I was told it would last for about 6 Mins. There is no hot water at the washing up station, which I haven't experienced elsewhere. Bad if you have fried food utensils to wash. There doesn't seem to be a grey waste deposit and it is inconvenient to lift a heavy wastemaster into the black waste deposit. Finally, the men's toilet was without a toilet roll for nearly a day. They should always leave a spare as at many other sites. I feel it wouldn't take too much to rectify these smal problems and make for a great retreat.

Date of Visit: February 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: RAYMONDO 831 1 review from this member

Upon a late (8:30pm) arrival. First impression was good. It immediately got better, met with hostess of pub and immediately shown where to park. Complete with 240v hookups. A drink and an evening meal for two. Early exit from site after a shower 1extra. Dated but adequate shower/ toilet facilities. Picnic area would be fabulous in spring and summer times. A very short walk to the picturesque canal with great walks. Staying on an extra day absolutely a great place to be or find yourself. We will return. Thank you.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kay381 2 reviews from this member

Wanted to see the Kennet and Avon canal and visit Devizes. 15 per night for our caravan, awning, electric hook up, 2 children and a dog. Good basic site, clean toilet/shower block (heated), 1 a shower. Nice pub, friendly staff and 2 minute walk to the canal. Some road noise but didn't bother us.

Half the price of camping and caravan site next door.

Previous     52 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review wo win a 150 Amazon Voucher!!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Wiltshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Kampa Portaflush 10 Portable Toilet! Win a 655ltr Waterproof Rooftop Bag worth 239

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more