Visitor Reviews - Merkins Farm

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

Merkins Farm
Bradford Leigh
Bradford On Avon
Wiltshire   (Browse area)
BA15 2RW

Open: 01/03 To 31/10

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 1 mile   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool 1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding 1 mile   Cycle Hire 1 mile   Golf 1 mile   Tennis 1 mile
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  39 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Stevethomas 1 review from this member

A pleasant, level site with an attractive 1950's themed cafe that was well-patronised by locals. Enjoyed a lovely full English breakfast cooked and served by friendly helpful staff.

Toilet block with showers was clean and attractive, usual CL services provided. Childrens garden toys provided outside of the cafe.

It was a shame that the pub at the end of the road was closed but Bradford-on-Avon and all its attractions were within a half hour walk. Steep downhill but there was a bus to get back up the hill.

Holt was also within reasonable walking distance down quiet lanes - an attractive village with two good pubs. NT nearby, Great Chalfield Manor and Court Gardens, Holt.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Riff 15 reviews from this member

We stayed here for six days in late September 2015 and sadly (for us) it was nowhere near long enough. I really wish we could have stayed longer.

The campsite itself is immaculately kept and there was never a shortage of loo roll. The toilets and shower were kept clean at all times and 50p for an 8-minute shower is plenty enough time. The only minor gripes (and they are minor) are that the hand-driers could do with a bit more oomph. Also, because the loos were shared with cafe customers, not all customers abided by the signs to turn off the lights after using the loos. This site clearly prides itself on it's green credentials such as recycling bins and encouraging customers to use the facilities carefully.

The owners were laid-back and, after showing us what was where, left us to it. They had forewarned us there was going to be a hen party there at the same time, but the girls could not have been nicer, were sociable and even gave us some free Prosecco. Thanks, girls! :)

We ate at the cafe a couple of times, having paninis for lunch on the second day of our stay and breakfast on our day of departure. Both times the food and service were great.

There are some great walks (and views) from the doorstep. You can see Bratton Castle and White Horse from the site itself. Bradford on Avon is around half an hour's walk. From there you can take some pleasant strolls along the Avon and the Kennet and Avon Canal or take the train to Bath and Bristol. Bradford on Avon boasts some great pubs and interesting shops.

Shame this campsite is a 7-hour drive from where we live, but we WILL be back for more camping and food. Can't wait!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Andrea Emm 4 reviews from this member

A pretty little site just outside Bradford On Avon. There are 4 pitches for caravans 3 are hard standing and one is grass.

There is also a large area for tents. The toilets (one ladies, one gents) and the shower were clean and there is a dish washing sink with hot water.

There is also a cafe on site which we tried on our last day, the food was very good and set us up for our journey.

There is no shop on site but there are plenty in Bradford on Avon and a selection of pubs and cafes. We walked into Bradford a couple of times and caught the train to Bath, however please check service availability as electrification works are causing disruption to services in the area.

Bradford and Bath are both beautiful and well worth a visit.

This site is very reasonably priced and was great value for money. However I think more showers and toilets are needed as queues developed sometimes and the cafe customers use the same toilets as the campers.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Sueb276 2 reviews from this member

Have just stayed on this site, and what a disappointment. The facilities are less than basic. 50p for a mediocre shower in a small cubicle is daylight robbery. There is no hot water in the basic toilet cubicles. The café is very busy from 9am to 4 pm, with cars travelling at too great a speed past the caravans. Not safe for children or pets. It is like camping on the grass verge of a busy road. The café patrons park on the caravan pitches, use the caravan site toilets, and I even saw one person use the shower. At one time I counted 20 cars parked around the campsite. There are only 4 hook ups, not 5 as stated on web site. There is no security, and the gate off the road is left open all night. Not somewhere we could recommend or will visit again.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bogey567 5 reviews from this member

I booked this site via Ukcampsite and I really enjoyed my visit last weekend. The site is handy for Bradford on Avon and Bath, both of which we visited. There is plenty of room on the site and when I arrived I had a choice of 4 places where I could pitch up. It is generally quiet and there were no problems. I went in the café to pay for my pitch and everyone was really friendly. The facilities are okay, but basic, but everything was clean. Nice views from the site, but the date I visited the site, the pub down the road appears to be closed. I will visit this site again that's for sure. I didn't have a meal in the café, but it looked great and was really popular, especially for breakfast.

Date of Visit: November 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 131 reviews from this member

Stopped for one night to break up a drive to Wales.

I'd booked in advance and arrived after dark. Everything was easy to find and as described by the helpful person when I'd called.

In morning light it was nice to see the open countryside and views across the fields. As we were the only van staying, the facilities were fine and were clean.

We went to the on site café for a breakfast before leaving, and a great treat that was! Nice big fry up and pot of tea before heading out on the road was really good.

All-in-all a good site, that we'll return to explore the area rather than just pass through.

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Goomaks 17 reviews from this member

Lovely site, with stunning views over the countryside. Booked in at the cafe, nice friendly welcome, we were shown were everything was located. Didn`t use the cafe, but it looked very nice and clean. It seems very popular with lots of people coming to use it. The pitches back on to the road, so you get traffic noise in the day time but hardly any at night. One male, one female toilet and one shower(50p), we felt that the toilets were a little bit basic with only cold water in the hand wash basins, would be a big improvement to have hot water put in. Television reception poor, could really only get B. B. C. Programmes. It is a bit open and exposed, especially when the wind gets up, but the view compensates for this.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Peter236uk 12 reviews from this member

Great little site the situation is great and the site very clean. We stayed for 2 nights on our way down to Cornwall. On arrival the wife went and paid at the cafe, it was not until we discussed the site when we left that we realised that we had been over charged by £2 which was a little bit of surprise. I think we were charged for a dog which we did not have. There are a couple of other little gripes, the breakfast following some of reviews, that said how good it was. I have to say I was disappointed. At a charge of £7. 50 the breakfast did not include tea or bread and butter and was made up mostly with baked beans and hash browns. I just felt it was very mediocre for the price.

There was a large group who arrived on the Friday evening, I think they were a club. They sang (not very well) until the early hours. This is not great on a small site. I do not wish to seem to negative about the site and its a great location for walking and cycling.

Management response: Dear Peter236uk

Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you thought we run a ‘great little site’.

As far as you’re being overcharged, I wish you had noticed earlier, so that we could have refunded you. We do not know why that would have happened.

We are obviously very proud of the Camp Site and the Café. The Merkins Full English Breakfast at £7. 45 is indeed very popular with Campers and Locals. Freshly Cut Toast and Butter IS included in the price. I seem to remember you requested bread and butter instead, which we happily provided you with. The breakfast is certainly not mostly made up of hash browns and Heinz baked beans. Everything is cooked fresh, to order.

The large group you mentioned were a group of Morris Men, who asked if they could sing. We mistakenly thought the campers would enjoy this, it did not go on until the ‘early hours’ at all.

We will continue to work hard, and provide a pleasant relaxed camping experience for all that stay with us.

Hayley and Jon

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Niknrich 17 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site for a weekend at the beginning of September with a group of 15. It's a lovely friendly site and very reasonably priced. The pitches are dead flat and the views are lovely.

We enjoyed breakfast at the cafe both Saturday and Sunday mornings - it's obviously popular with locals as well as campers! The staff are nice and friendly.

The only negative is the lack of hot water in the loo basins and washing up sink, and the 50p showers. I always panic that I'll run out of hot water in the middle of washing my hair! The single loo per sex could have been an issue if the site was full, but it was quiet when we visited.

Overall though, a good value, friendly site.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: VWAdventure 3 reviews from this member

Just had 3 days at Merkins site and can highly approve. The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming and the crew in the cafe gave great service with a smile. The site is a basic level but very tidy, quiet and well run. There are only 2 toilets and 1 shower but I never had to wait. The only thing I would have liked was hot water in the toilets and for washing up. Great area to exercise our dogs and everyone I spoke to one the site were very happy. The cafe food was very good and the coffee hot and tasty and not too expensive. Would definitely stay at this site again and if you want a quiet, clean tidy site then this is one I would recommend.

Previous     39 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Wiltshire

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire