Reviews of Glenesk Caravan Park

Edzell
Angus   (Browse area)
DD9 7YP

Open: April To October

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 Lakeside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  51 in total, now showing 21 to 30                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Stephen reid 1 review from this member

What a total hidden gem this place is, it has beautiful scenery both in and out of the park, extremely helpful owner and staff.

Very reasonable if not cheap pitches electric provide, kids loved the play area, the games room, and the very large well stocked fish pond, very very safe to let the kids play and explore.

Toilet block was always looking clean and tidy and I cant believe some people have moaned about paying 20p for a shower I would have gladly paid 5 times that much.

Everything was there that we look for in a site, peaceful, very scenic, very helpful staff, very adequate tv room, games room where everything worked. And the small loch fishing was excellent.

We are not an easily pleased camping family but found the Glenesk Caravan Park. To be one of the very best we have visited. Will definitely be back, many thanks for such a pleasant time.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Find laters 5 reviews from this member

This site is in a lovely location. We were made very welcome when we arrived, told to pick any pitch we fancied and advised that the nicest pitches are alongside the lake. We pitched overlooking the lake and connected up etc. Later on I visited the Toilet block. After paying 20 a night for two adults including electric and being told the showers are an additional 20p, I was very disappointed at what I found. I think these are the worst facilities I've seen in years. My wife visited the Ladies and found the showers to be in the same state of cobwebs and mould. I think the owners need to visit other sites and see what is on offer for 20 a night. It is such a pity that a site that is in such a nice location is let down by the facilities. I'm just pleased that we didn't have any of our grandchildren with us. They would have enjoyed the fishing and the rest of the site but I couldn't have taken them to the showers.

Reviewer: Loch Morlich 13 reviews from this member

As many other reviewers have said this is a genuine hidden gem. You pitch your caravan in clearings in a wood around a well stocked lochan. So there are red squirrels, moor hens, ducks, rabbits etc galore and no doubt other animals which are more exotic if you have a sharp eye.

The site sits at the beginning of glen esk which is part of the cairngorm national park and is some 2 miles from the village of edzell.

Our kids enjoyed endless fishing, many games of pool and ping pong in the games room (which was pleasantly cheap) and eventually got round to finding the play park. The site also has a laundry, wash up area and lounge complete with sky.

Reception was unmanned when we arrived, and there is a pick your pitch system when this happens, we got one right next to the lochan.

I must admit I've been here before about 30 years ago, in the meantime I don't think the toilets have changed but they are very clean.

Our children had a great time here, they had an easy care free holiday where they could hop from one beloved activity to another. This is probably the best value break we have ever had, the kids loved it so praise indeed.

Great atmosphere great place!

Reviewer: Triciauk1970 3 reviews from this member

Very nice site set in amongst a wood the spaces are very accomadating for larger vans. First time here pleasantly pleased with lay out of site toilet blocks were always kept clean and tidy.

There was a small pond for fishing which you need a day permit for and there is a small games room which the children enjoyed

Have to keep dogs on leads but there are many walks nearby that they can be let off the leads

Would recommend this site, only thing is beware the midgies

Reviewer: Bobmel 12 reviews from this member

This site is a hidden gem and very peaceful. As reported by some reviewers the toilet block is 'dated' but spotless, what more can you ask. The showers require 20p but I did not find this an issue, always took 40p but only used 20. From some parts of the site the toilets are bit of a hike.

When arriving, if there is nobody in the office just find a pitch and set up. There is a log book in reception to fill out with your name, pitch number and departure date.

The reception building also has a TV lounge and games room. This is handy because there is no TV or mobile phone reception in the area. Like I said this is a peaceful site.

The resident squadron of ducks are good fun, if you start feeding them you will have friends for the rest of your stay. We were lucky to have a family of moor hens visit as well.

If you like coarse fishing take your rods, permits for the lake are available at reception.

This is also a great site to use as a base, there are some great walks within a short drive. 8 miles up the road you have the 'Retreat' well worth a visit. Also the 'Glen Esk Trails' worth a Google.

Edzell is the closest village, 2 mile approx. It has a post office, a great butcher, spar and a couple of good places to eat be it just for coffee and cake or a full blown meal.

Will definitely will be back for another relaxing weekend and some great walking.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Fiona W 184 reviews from this member

We hadn't booked for our one-night stopover, turned up before 5pm to find the office locked. A passing resident told us to find a pitch and pay in the morning - someone came to our motorhome at 11 am to collect the 16 (hardstand and EHU). We thought it very reasonably priced.

Hardstands are well spaced in the naturalistic mixed woodland, and the grass isn't mowed except along the water's edge. You do need a torch for night-time visits to the toilet block to avoid tripping over tree roots. The toilets are adequate - the acid yellow walls fairly wake you up in the morning!

The open area around the lochan allows the sun to reach your seat by the water. We didn't see much of the ducks as our springer just stood in the water until we shortened her lead. She gives the site 10 out of 10.

There are plenty of local walks in the adjacent estate of The Burn. For example, the gorge at 'The Rocks of Solitude' near the site is amazing, but you do need good footwear and it's maybe not suitable for young children or dogs that like to rush about.

We spent the day exploring beautiful Glen Esk. We took the folding bikes and cycled the last mile or so at the end to Loch Lee - a very peaceful place, with a ruined tower castle and the deer stalkers' ponies grazing by a ruined church.

You can get all you need food-wise at Edzell. We'd be happy to come back for a longer stay.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Krazykamper 37 reviews from this member

We spent a lovely weekend at Glenesk in our tent. We were pitched away from the pond next to the playpark which was good for the children. The site is in a lovely woodland area with lots of trees and a very small burn which runs down the side of the site.

The toilet and shower facilities were a little dated but kept very clean. The showers are 20p but lovely and warm and very powerful. I don't mind paying for decent showers. The site was very quite during our stay so did not encounter any queues but would imagine during peak season you may have to wait for the showers as there are only two.

We used the lounge/games room on the Saturday night as it was a miserable evening outdoors. There is clothes washing/drying facilities which we did not use. Staff in reception were friendly and helpful.

I hope to return to this site next year as there is plenty to do in the area. We had a problem geting a signal for our mobile phones but it was quite nice not having to answer calls and texts etc.

Date of Visit: September 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Treen67 6 reviews from this member

Just returned from a rather wet weekend at Glenesk.

I think everyone else has covered the basics that anyone going would want to know but I just wanted to add how lovely a site this is.

The site was very clean as were the toilet blocks, although the decor is dated but that is irrelevant to me. Yes, the loos are quite far away from the tent field but we were offered to pitch on the edge of the football field right next door as we had children with us. We turned this offer down as my sister and family were joining us the next day and there was not enough room there for 2 tents.

The 2 members of staff that I met were friendly and really helpful. The rules were explained to us when we arrived and there only appear to be two main ones : no fires and keep dogs on leads. These rules are enforced as witnessed when some campers had sneakily built a fire and hid it behind 2 windbreaks.

We didn't venture far because of the weather but my son and his cousins enjoyed their stay. Little playpark for the kids, pool and table tennis as well as a reasonably priced tuckshop. Some nice walks in the forest around the campsite.

The tent field was wet and boggy in places but I had anticipated this and we all had our wellies.

I noticed that there wee 2 camping pods to hire right opposite the playpark as is the the tent field with electric hook ups.

The heating was on in the toilet blocks when we were there. The dish washing room was spotless and little extras were provided :basins, dishdrainers and cloths to clean up after yourself. Mops provided in the shower rooms to keep the area clean.

As I said, a lovely site and one we'll definitely be returning to next year.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Rejajane 3 reviews from this member

I really like Glenesk. There is something lovely about the area. The area doesn't look much when you are travelling up the dual carriageway but the landscape and architecture really change as you head inland a little bit.

We camped in the separate camping area. You don't get to park next to your tent so you do end up carrying you stuff back and forth from the car but as a plus this also meant that the tent area was very safe for the kids. It feels secluded and wild with the trees and lake. It has a 70s retro feel to it, probably due to the Reception bungalow (which smelled a little bit fusty with damp).

The staff were lovely. They were very sympathetic and helpful with ice when my mum shut my daughters fingers in the car door! For sime reason which I can't remember the nearest toilet block was closed and we had to walk quite a way to the next but we remember saying that it was so lovely there that we didn't mind the stroll.

We did notice a couple of spots for tents in other bits but they might have been for electric hook-ups and we never go for that. I did worry about the safety aspect of the lake and we did wonder as to wether there was a midge problem at times.

We never encountered too many. Edzell has a really good Gala so it's worth going around that time. Edzell also has a really lovely play park and recreation ground.

We went up to the museum up the glen and I really did find it interesting. The shop and cafe up there was nice too. Nearby villages are very quaint (they had public toilets and nice cafe's too).

Hoping to go again next year

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Cara89 30 reviews from this member

This site seems a bit undiscovered! The location is lovely and peaceful and the pitches very individual set in amongst trees and many overlooking the pond.

There is a very good play park and a lovely games room and lounge with TV, table tennis and pool table. There are comfy chairs and board games also. The lounge has huge windows overlooking the site pond. (and very tame ducks!)

My husband and the children spent a bit of time fishing here. The children were very happy at this site. It was friendly and relaxed. The two main rules are no wood burning and dogs on leads. This is very fair. I liked that we just signed in ourselves when we arrived and picked our pitch.

I think that the surrounding area has been covered in a previous review.

We went to St Cyrus beach, nature reserve and visitor centre and thought it was beautiful.

Excellent site

Previous     51 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 30      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Glenesk Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Glenesk Caravan Park?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Glenesk Caravan Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Edzell      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Angus

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park Kent 19/09 to 20/09