Reviews of Glenesk Caravan Park

Edzell
Angus   (Browse area)
DD9 7YP

Open: April To October

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <5 miles   Restaurant <5 miles   No Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   No Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 Lakeside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  52 in total, now showing 41 to 50                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6

Our site is open and we are taking bookings , please be assured you can book with confidence. Our toilets are Open. Our showers are Open. Other communal areas may be restricted - please check with us for more information

To enquire about a booking or for more information please contact us

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: K+JGat 8 reviews from this member

A quite wooded site. Forget your mobile phone and if you want to watch TV then best to have satellite or a good directional aerial. My wife and I have visited this site on a number of occasions - the reason = Fishing.

The site has a relatively small lake (not really a loch but more a large pond which, prior to this year (2009), the fishing (coarse fishing only) was free. In early 2009 the lake has been restocked with Common and Mirror Carp as well a Tench. The lake already had a stock of Roach. In a few years time this lake will be a popular site for serious Carp anglers. A days fishing will cost £8 and half day £5 and only available to those booked into the site and not available to day visitors. There is a trout loch a short walk away but it seems that fishing this loch is not possible at the moment due to a dispute with the local farmer.

If your not into angling then no problem you will be spoilt for choice with the excellent woodland walks and peaceful area with Edzell village only a couple of miles away.

Toilet and Showers are adequate but for some pitches a short walk away, a little further if you are a tent camper.

The site has a games and TV room to entertain the children.

On the down side the site could do with a little upgrade but saying that if your looking for a non commercial site and out of the way then this is the site for you.

Date of Visit: July 2008 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Frethouse 14 reviews from this member

Spent three days here with our large tent. It is a beautifully situated site with some fantastic wooded walks. - Try the 'Blue Door' walk very close by next to the River Esk. The tent area is on a terraced slope and we managed to find a fairly level pitch though we had to walk with camping equipment a little distance as cars were not able to get close to the tent area.
The nightly fee is very reasonable. The management were quite friendly but were a bit unhappy about me using an electric hook-up in the tent area (I had to use an enormous extension!) However the alternative was to use a hard standing caravan pitch with stony pebbles - not good for the ground sheet / airbeds or for putting in tent pegs! Nick the manager was very good however and came to an amicable compromise over this genuine misunderstanding. Indeed, the tent area could be improved by putting some electric hook up points in. Do be prepared to walk a bit to the toilet blocks though. But hey! It is a beautiful place to stay and we would go back again.

Date of Visit: May 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Newtsy 1 review from this member

Excellent woodland site, with fishing on the sites own pond. Plenty of woodland and riverside walks on hand with shops, hotels and pub etc only 1.5 miles away. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Relaxed atmosphere and woodland location with poor mobile reception, great for a get away break!

Toilet and shower facilities a bit basic, but all you need really.

Central reception has lounge area with Sky tv, pool table and library. Recommend a visit.

Date of Visit: August 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Clubb 1 1 review from this member

First visit here and will definitely be going back. Very friendly people and a most gorgeous setting. Although site was quite full when we arrived, everyone respected everyone else s privacy.We did worry a bit, as, after we had booked our pitch ,we read quite a negative review and thought, uh oh!    BUT,I am so glad we came.
Kids loved it, especially the fishing in the large pond in middle of site ,  the woodland was great for exercising our dogs,
The place itself is, as a previous reviewer has said, your own small piece of heaven.
What a pity the owners could not control the weather, this was the only thing to almost spoil our most perfect break yet.

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: PinkhairedexBlonde 1 review from this member

Just thought I would add a small post here. We had a fantastic stay at Glen Esk The staff were so helpful. Being first time caravaners we were kinda unsure of what to do, however all our questions were answered with a smile ( including when I put the tumble drier token in the Iron box :S  )
All in all we had a wonderfull time there and we shall return . So a big thanks to all and happy camping .

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Paulamu 3 reviews from this member

We stayed with our children and 2 dogs for 4 nights in the Easter holidays.
The site is in a wooded area and when checking in the friendly owner told us we had our pick of pitches.We chose right beside the small pond as the kids had their fishing nets and it was also not too far away from the toilet block.

The facilities on the site were slightly dated but clean and kept in good order.  You have to pay for hot water for the showers and there is meters in the shower cubicles for this.  However we only paid £12 per night including electric hookup and awning and thought this was very reasonable.

We cycled into Edzell where there are some shops and hotels and a great park for the kids.  Also took the dogs lovelly walks along the river which is close by.  There is also good walks up through the wood.

I prefer grassy sites so this was a bit different but the kids loved it and it was fantastic to not get a mobile reception!  total peace and quiet for 4 days.  Would recommend

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Kt10296 6 reviews from this member

Arrived and we were the only touring caravans on the site. Excellent as we had the pick of the sites around a small loch.   The quietness of the site (I am sure it will get busy) added to the relaxation that you immediately feel when you arrive.
 A motor home did join us that night however they were 6 pitches away and so it felt like we were alone.
Toilets were a bit dated however spotlessly clean.
The site is only yards from the River Esk which offers excellent walking for our dog.

Although one could fish within this little loch for course fish, a loch (permits #10 on site) is only a half mile walk  away through   A most beautiful forest.

TV reception was poor but this added to the isolation and peace this site offers.
Nearest village of Edzell is  2 miles way where you also pick oy mobile reception.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Doodah 2 reviews from this member

I love this site.  I love the woodland setting.  I love that it isn't over manicured with signs everywhere, telling you what you can and cannot do.  There is not a concrete paving stone or garden gnome in sight. It's great to be snuggled in amongst the trees.

The campsite is clean and quiet.  The toilet block is a little way-away, but it's a nice walk.  The owners are friendly and helpful.  It's one of my favorite local sites and we will keep going back.

I did notice on my last visit, that a few trees had been taken down. It does let in more light but I'd be upset if they took down too many.  It's charm lies in the way that is just "IS".

This is one of the best places to see stars too. So take your telescopes.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Michelle0908 1 review from this member

We have camped at GLENESK on two occassions this year and cannot praise it enough. The site is a small piece of heaven! The staff were so friendly and did not mind us hammering on their caravan door out of office hours. We have been to many sites before and after our trip to Glenesk and not one has even came close to this wonderful site.
We were even allowed to pitch on the wee football pitch because our tent was so big and there wasnt much room on the tent area. It was right next to the loo's which was a relief as the loo's are quite far away from the camp area.
We've progressed to a touring caravan and cannot wait to get back to Glenesk and park up at side of the pond, and ponder away the night at the waters edge! We cant recommend this site enough if you want to get away from it all and take it easy.
The facilities may be a little dated but it all added to part of the charm. Everything was clean and working, what more do you need? Our children aged 15, 12 and 2 enjoyed the stay as much as we did, and the park was more than ample for our 2 year old, (although the midges took a right fancy to daddy who almost had a nervous breakdown on more than one occassion.)
All in all it a must for anyone camping or in a tourer to visit this wonderful site. Hopefully it will never change, you cant improve on heaven!

Date of Visit: August 2005
Reviewer: Mel05 1 review from this member

When I was at Glenesk Caravan Park I found it a pleasant and joyful experience and I couldn't find much or really anything that was such a problem. So that is why I decided to take time to give you my honest opinion as I feel some people may read a bad review and not take a chance to see what its actually like for themselves, well I took that chance and here's my view!

When I got there I was welcomed by a very friendly man who made us sign in and took our money, it's true that you have to pay in advance for however many nights you're staying but if you don't think it will be a good stay, or if you want to give it a trial run, then why not just pay for one night first and if it overcomes your expectations then pay for the rest of your stay the second night. Well that's what I did anyway as I was expecting the worst.

The reception is right next to campsite area so we drove over to it, I have to admit it wasn't very big but everyone respected each others privacy so it was fine. The camping area itself is on a slope so we decided to go to the highest ridge because after reading a review, about it beind marshy after rain, we decided it would be safest! (We didn't even need to take this precaution as after a night of quite heavy rain the ground was just normally damp and there was no marshiness anywhere). We then set up camp, the surroundings were beautiful and litter free and even though there were sheep in the field next to us they weren't really noisy and didn't do much harm.

Around the campsite there is many water points and places for your rubbish and empty bottles to be put. There is one of these points in the camping area, so you never had to go far to get to it. The rubbish is collected 3 times daily, so there wasn't anything to complain about there.

The toilets and showers that are complained about in a previous review weren't actually that bad when we were there, ok so they were a bit old fashioned and there was a few bugs flying about, but what do you expect? When I read the review it said the toilets were really far away from the camping area, they were about a 2 minute walk and to some people maybe this seems too much but if you're that desperate pee in a bush or bring a bucket in advance.

On the way to the toilet you can admire the beautiful fishing pond which is in the centre of the park, this is to the back of the reception, games room and laundry room. The reception area has a small shop with the essentials. There is also chairs and tables in this bit. If you can't live without your telly, there's a moderately big tv with a working skydigi box. Next to the tv there is a range of books for all ages. Next to this room there is a room with a pool table and a football table, then the next room to that is the laundry room, at our time of stay there was a leak at one of the sinks but instead of letting us find out for ourselves someone(who worked for the park) kindly went round each tent and caravan and told us. When I went to the reception I couldn't smell anything out of the ordinary and everything was spotlessly clean, so there was no problem with smell when I was there.

For kids there is a reasonably good park and as I said before there is the games room. There is also a small football pitch, so bring a ball if you're into that sort of thing.

The campsite is in a beautiful place and you can spend many a day exploring and using this natural facility to your hearts content!

I will finish this rather long(!) review with a suggestion and that is 'to go and see what it's like for yourself because everyones got there standards' some alot higher than others I might add! 'Happy camping!'

Previous     52 Reviews in total, now showing 41 to 50      Next

Is Glenesk Caravan Park child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Glenesk Caravan Park?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Glenesk Caravan Park dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Edzell      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Angus

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend 09/10 to 11/10
A three day concert dedicated to the sounds of the Swinging Sixties set in Looe in Cornwall. Weekend Camping Available ...more