Reviews of Elan Oaks

Powys   (Browse area)
LD6 5HN

Open: 01/01/2022 to 31/12/2022

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf <5 miles   Tennis <1 mile
 No Beach   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  49 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Mikesouth01 3 reviews from this member

What a great site! we were lucky to have been blessed with good weather. The facilities there were very clean and tidy. Showers spotless and other facilities were great. Each pitch was very well laid out and the costs were great. The local Hotel / Pub was lovely and the food fantastic. The Elan Valley visitors centre is only just down the road so that was easy for walking and a cooked breakfast if we wanted one. Evenings were lovely and quiet. The only thing I would say is that can we have some more showers of the same standard please as these were a little busy at peak times? I would recommend this site to anyone but I wont as I don't want anyone else discovering it also!. We will visit again. Thanks.

Reviewer: Sue Paul 80 reviews from this member

What a fine site we stumbled across.

OK its unmanned but a chap came daily and the security of a coded access barrier was great.

We had a large hardstanding pitch with water/freeview TV (take a min 10 mtr long female to male lead) and even an ethernet connection. The site has free wifi also which was good but fluctuated badly at times but hey it was free.

You cannot access the river sadly plus your high up so no riverside pitches and the field has far better views than the hardstanding pitches.

Walk wise its great, up the road to Rhayader is a 50 minute flat good path walk and the Dogs are loose almost all the way as the path is on an old train line or similar, lovely views to. Walk the other way and its the Visitor centre/Dam/more Dams and more good flat walks. We walked 8. 9 miles to a Dam further up and was tarmac the whole way and not a hill in sight, all buggy/cycle/child/Dog friendly.

Site was very clean and all very new, sadly no recycling at all but that was the only minor niggle.

Would we stay again, most certainly.

Reviewer: Kernow Camper 170 reviews from this member

Well, what can we say about Elan Oaks. Our perfect campsite in a perfect place.

From the initial emailed enquiry we knew it would be special. Great communication from everyone involved and all codes required emailed before we left for our trip.

I was slightly concerned about the 'B' road from Rhayader down to the site but there was no need! Entrance to the site is via a coded barrier so all safe and secure. Elan Oaks has 12 very large hardstanding pitches each with EHU, water, satellite TV connection and free wi-fi. New hedging has been planted around each one, which will give privacy once grown. The views of the surrounding area were superb and all you could hear was the river and the birds, including owls and cuckoos (my kind of heaven!). You choose your own pitch too. The small, brand new, washroom on site was better than spotless! 3 individual wet rooms, each containing, shower, toilet, sink and hairdryer. A credit to site. There is also a small hut containing the dustbin and a freezer for all to use. Apart from that, just peace, quiet and beauty all around.

The Elan Valley Hotel is a short five minute walk from the site. A selection of real ales, but sadly lacking in decent cider! Nice food and friendly staff.

The Elan Valley Visitor Centre is also a short walk from the site and contains lots of interactive information about the whole area. It also has a lovely cafe on site.

The Elan Valley Trail runs straight from the site around the wonderful dams and reservoirs. I think it's 8 miles in total. We spent a whole day biking around the area and it was absolutely stunning, and we hardly saw another soul around. Truly undiscovered.

Penbont House (near Pen y Garreg Dam) B&B/tearooms was a great find too. Stunning views from the tea garden and fantastic food. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Rhayader is the closest town, just 2. 7 miles from Elan Oaks. It has all the essentials, convenience store, butchers, bakers, banks and plenty of pubs.

We had 3 nights at Elan Oaks @ £20 per night including everything, great value for money in our opinion.

We didn't want to leave and cannot wait to go back again sometime very soon.

This has to be one of the best campsites we've stayed on in a number of years. Keep up the great work everyone and thank you!

Reviewer: Hildateresa 1 review from this member

Élan oaks is a lovely campsite, well thought out and spaced out! It is right next to the river with a cycle path and road on the other side, we chose to camp close to the fence which separates the river from the site and hardly heard the road. In fact we heard our first cuckoo singing in the hill at the side of the river, and had numerous birds singing as well as Red kites flying overhead.

There are excellent clean toilet and shower facilities, kept clean by a 'warden' who scrubs them daily when we were there! the 1st time we have enjoyed free individual wet rooms! There are no other facilities on site though! We spent the bank holiday weekend, taking our bikes so it was ideal as it it is right on a cycle pathway that takes you to the élan valley visitor centre and trail along the reservoirs in one direction, Glorious, or into the town in the other direction towards Rhayader which has all facilities, shops, pubs, country and riverside walks, so an ideal place to visit. There is also a hotel (Elan valley Hotel) I think a short walk away with local beer and what looked liked great food, but we had come prepared food wise! Maybe next time.

All in all a lovely peaceful restful place to sit and enjoy the surrounding countryside, and safe place to cycle and take in the views surrounding the amazing reservoirs, a very well kept secret place!

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Hopeforagoodtime 5 reviews from this member

Enjoyed a wonderful Easter weekend at Elan oaks on the hardstanding pitches. The pitch and site was well thought out, good size pitch, when hedging grown up will be nice, shame people have to cut through hedges as short cut! All the hardstanding full and only a few pitches left on the grass. Also 5/6 tents parked on the grass.

Good communication with the owners, all codes emailed to me for my arrival. Slight swing into gateway on arrival. Chose which pitch we wanted, and met a lovely gentleman cleaning site.

Only thing we found was not enough toilets, as couple of time queuing. Could do with just toilets on own. All kept clean, but do remember to take your own toilet rolls as run out quite quickly.

Walk to Rhayader is lovely for dogs as mostly behind fencing to road. Took us 1hr, hotel just 5 minutes away. Elan valley centre about 30/40 mins walk away. Sad side was no dog bins on either of these walks. Loved the area. Visited Giggins farm to see the red kites, wonderful. Hope to return soon.

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: Brigay 2 reviews from this member

We booked in for 2 nights as we wanted to visit the Elan valley reservoirs and dams the site is just a short walk to the visitors centre where you can hire bikes. There are 12 large hardstanding pitches and some well spaced grass pitches all with electric hook up. There are 3 very large heated shower rooms with a toilet and washbasin all spotlessly clean and well maintained. There is a motorhome service point and a toilet emptying facility. There is a freezer which you can use when you have food delivered from the local shop. Unfortunately the only washing up facility was a sink at the side of the field in the open without a roof so you would get quite wet if it were raining. There is security coded barrier for the entry and exit to the site which is very neat and tidy and well maintained. We would recommend the site and will definitely be staying there again.

Date of Visit: March 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Sabre1-8Ti 2 reviews from this member

My wife and I decided to take our touring caravan to Mid Wales for a few days, our favourite place is the Elan Valley, just under 3 miles from Rhayader. We saw a site just before the visitors centre last year and after a search on the ‘Web’ I found ELAN OAK'S CARAVAN & CAMPING

I rang and spoke to a very friendly lady and booked over the phone I was given instructions where to pay and collect the code to enter the site.

On arrival we called in to pay and receive the barrier code, here I met one of the brothers who own the site to say he was friendly is an understatement but more about that later.

The site is made up of three sections, the first is a Caravan Club CL site, the next section which I understand is only about 2 years old has twelve hard standing pitches for caravans and motorhomes, beyond that is an area for tents.

As it was the second week in March we had a choice of pitches, we met the other brother who again was just as friendly and helpful as his brother.

The whole site is very clean and tidy not one bit of litter in sight, it is so tranquil with the river running alongside.

The hard standings are all serviced with 16 Amp mains, water, both satellite and terrestrial TV and Internet via cable, the site also has WiFi. Toilet & grey water waste points are placed at the end of each row of pitches. Around each pitch there are plants that when they have grown will provide a privacy hedge a very nice feature.

The toilet block has to be seen to be believed there are three wet room showers complete with toilets, they are immaculate.

We then met a third person, the site maintenance / gardener / cleaner, he is so hard working one day he was still tending the newly planted hedging at 8 o’clock using a touch. He also is very friendly and a fountain of knowledge.

We originally booked two nights but because of the weather and the site we booked a further two nights, we may have stayed even longer but.

Unfortunately on the Saturday morning at about 9:30 I did the most stupid thing possible after empting the toilet and grey waste water I put my foot on the end of our steps which then tipped over and whilst I was in the air my left foot went between the steps. Now steps going one way and me going the other, there was only one outcome, yes broken left leg. I must add my stupid accident was nothing to do with the site it was totally my own fault in future the steps will be pegged down.

I rang one of the brothers to find out the best action, he said he would ring 999 for an ambulance, saying I would need to go to Aberystwyth 36 miles away, on asking how I would get back he said ‘Do not worry’ he then gave me his home telephone number saying ‘I will come and collect you if you are stranded’ what a STAR?

After examination it was found I had a very nasty fracture just below the knee, they strapped my leg telling me to attend my local hospital ASAP this was because they knew we were on holiday the hospital paid for a taxi back to Elan Oaks.

On arrival back late evening, must have been after 20:30 The maintenance man was still on site and working came to our caravan to see how I was he offered to go into Rhayader to get us some fish and chips to save my wife cooking. I do not know anywhere else that would have looked after us so well.

If you want a well run friendly site close to the Elan Valley this is the place to stay, all your shopping needs are only just under 3 miles away in Rhayader.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Ski tail 4 reviews from this member

A beautifully located and very well maintained site with direct access onto the Elan Valley cycle path. Sadly, in our experience, the customer service was at least, disappointing. There is no mention on the website that we need an access code to get onto the site, neither were we told about this when we booked by phone. As we could not see the shop where we had to pay on the way through Rhyader, we decided to carry on to the site and return later. On arrival there was a motor home waiting for access and this was followed by another motorhome who had also booked by phone. So that made 3 outfits waiting for the owner who arrived after about 40 minutes and was completely unapologetic about any inconvenience caused. He felt that we were in the wrong!

The 8 figure access code was difficult to input in the dark and rain and the TV point was incompatible with both ours and our neighbours cable. After paying a top price of £20 for these extra facilities we found it a little irritating to have to visit the owners shop to pay an extra £1 for an adaptor.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Motorhome
Reviewer: DAC1083 4 reviews from this member

Excellent little site. Very well placed for touring the reservoirs. Within walking distance of the Elan Valley Visitor Centre and lovely walks along the river.

Lovely modern, clean toilet block. Some confusion re the security code for the site entrance gate and the toilet block but soon resolved.

Site is adjacent to a road but road noise was not intrusive. It is also next to a small camping site which belongs to the same owner and access to this is through the CL but it wasn't a problem.

The site is immaculately kept and reasonably priced.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Burtie1969 1 review from this member

WOW! What a wonderful site! I don't know quite where to begin. This site is situated in one of the most beautiful areas of the country - right slap bang next to the Elan Valley. The road/cycle/footpath to the reservoirs and mountains beyond is literally right beside you.

Lets go back to the beginning. We booked this site well in advance as we thought it would be really popular come summer holiday time - and they couldn't be more helpful. Along came e-mail confirmation along with details of local attractions and what is going on in the towns and villages around the area. What service - and it just got better! Unfortunately due to dire car trouble we had to postpone our holiday for a week - was this a problem - oh no! As we arrived on a Sunday and the shop where you pick up your entrance/shower block codes and pay was closed - so they rang through the day before with them. We were told to go through the first field (caravan club only) and on into the next and choose any pitch from the 12 with electric hook-up, (free camping also available). Each pitch has a large area of hardstanding and plenty of grass as well as your own electric hook-up, water, TV aerial and internet connection point. To service your porta-potty and grey water there is also a 'drain' point at the end of each section - so shared between 6 of you. The view is spectacular - looking up towards the mountains with Red Kites flying overhead.

The shower rooms have to be seen to be believed! There are 3 separate wetrooms which are always immaculately cleaned - by Michael - who is a wonder in himself! He is full of chat and knowledge and is helpful to the point of bending over backwards! Anyway back to the review! The site was quiet - which was a real surprise - obviously a hidden little gem! We stayed for 2 weeks but most of the other pitches where only occupied a night or three and then off. The area is so full of things to do - and being situated mid-Walesish it is a great spot for daytrips out and about without too much hassle! There is no playgound for children - but plenty of grass and roadways for playing and cycling and scooting about. Rhyder is a wonderful little town with many little shops and businesses - and thankfully no Tesco! Real old-fashioned friendly shopping which all adds to the 'slow' pace of life - really relaxing! And I must also give a mention too the Elan Valley Hotel (literally 50m up the road - use the cycle/footpath!). Service with a smile and a chat, always accompanied by great food and good beer!

There was only 3 little bugbears - which is a great shame, and I really hate to mention them as it spoils and otherwise fab review! The wonderful shower rooms could do with a few separate toilets - busy times may involve crossing legs - but as it was never really busy this was not too problematical. Secondly - there is no hot water on site, so washing in sinks is a bit of a challenge - especially if you are free camping, and lastly, promised - on the email and advertised on this site - laundry facilities on site are not actually there! This was going to be remedied when I spoke to them about it! But there is a laundrette in Rhyder so not too much of a problem and if you are moving around a bit not a problem at all!

Please, please do not let these small negatives put you off the idea of visiting Elan Oaks - they are just small bugbears against a really wonderful site - possibly the best we have ever stayed on in our far too many to remember years of camping!

Previous     49 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Is Elan Oaks child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Elan Oaks?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Elan Oaks dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Rhayader      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Powys

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 02/07 to 03/07
An amazing fun weekend for all the family, with camping and caravanning on site from Friday to Monday - Save £15 on tickets

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2022